posted by Tracy Lynch | 0 Comments
Meet Sascha Dimitriewicz, co-founder of one of Europe's most popular hostel chains Wombats who have have hostels in Vienna, Munich, Berlin, and now Budapest. We caught up with Sascha to find out what he thinks makes a good hostel, what's his favourite bar in Vienna and how he made one Japanese guest very, very happy.
1. When did your hostel first open?
2. What can guests expect from a stay there?
Great staff, clean ensuite rooms, great social atmosphere and very cool bars.
3. Describe your role to us.
Come on, I am one of the owners – my staff says I don’t work at all!
4. How did you end up in this line of work? Had you backpacked/ travelled before?
I backpacked through Australia in 1988 and for the first time in my life I slept in a hostel. The people I met there were really cool, but the hostels were also very dirty – some of them were really crap. So I said to myself "If the atmosphere is so good in such a dirty place, how would the atmosphere be if the hostel is clean?".
5.What do you think is the key to running a successful hostel?
Friendly staff – you can offer the best place in the world but if the staff are not cool and friendly the guests will kill you.
6. What’s the strangest/funniest thing that you’ve encountered with one of your guests?
My favourite moment is still with the Japanese boy who came to the reception and told me that I gave him the wrong key because there are 4 Swedish girls in the room. I told him that we are selling mixed dorms, of course he could move but he just smiled and said: No No, GOOD HOSTEL.
7. What’s your favourite bar(s) in all the cities you have hostels in?
Chelsea – Vienna.
8. Same as above only restaurants?
Schweizerhaus – Vienna.
9. What’s your ‘top insider tip’ for your city?
Grelle Forelle Club - see what's on with their website.
10. What’s the favourite part of your job?
Working with young people keeps you also young – would never chance the hostel business for something else.
To book any of Wombats Hostels, visit their dedicated page.
Judy S said
P Wang said