General Info about Hawaii, USA

The currency used in San Diego/USA is the US Dollar (US$) which is divided into 100 cents (¢). Notes come in denominations of $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 and $100. There are larger denominations but they are rarely used. Coins used are 1¢ (penny), 5¢ (nickel), 10¢ (dime), ¢25 (quarter), ¢50 and $1, although the final two aren’t seen regularly.

Despite the fact that the state is made up of a number of islands, its weather rarely varies. It has a moderate tropical climate with only moderate temperature changes compliments of the influence of the warm Pacific Ocean. Only two real seasons are observed in Hawaii, summer or Kau in the native tongue which is between May and October and winter or Ho’oilo which takes place between November and April. So while the average annual temperature lies just short of 24 degrees Celsius, the average summer temperature is 29 degree Celsius and the average winter temperature is just a few degrees lower at 25.6 degrees.

On the other hand, rainfall varies quite a bit from one region to the other. The lowest is at Puako on the Big Island averaging 6 inches per year whereas Mt. Wai’ale’ale on the island of Kaua’i receives an average of 486 inches per year. It is also worth nothing that rain or wind storms are more frequent during winter but they usually don’t last more than a day.

Time Zone
Hawaii is ten hours behind Greenwich Mean Time. It does not observe Daylight saving time.

Opening Hours
Shops in Hawaii are generally open between 9.30 and 5.30 from Monday to Saturday but the larger shopping centres are generally open between 10.00am and 9.00pm from Monday to Friday, from 10.00am until 5.30pm on Saturday and from 12.00pm until 6.00pm on Sunday. Office hours are open between 8.00 and 4.30 from Monday to Friday.

The US uses 110 to 120 volts AC, 60 cycles. If you are using a European or an Australian appliance, you will need a 110-volt transformer and a plug adapter with two flat parallel pins. These adapters are difficult to find in the States so you are recommended to bring one with you.

Tourist Offices
The main tourist offices in Hawaii are on Oahu at 2270 Kalakaua on the seventh floor of the Waikiki Business Plaza, on Maui at 1727 Pa Loop Wailuki, Hawaii at 250 Keawe Street and on Kauai in the Lihue Plaza Building at 3016 Umi Street. All offices are open between 8.00am and 4.30pm from Monday to Friday.

There is no VAT in the US but every state, county and city reserves the right to levy its own local tax on all purchases, including hotel and restaurant bills, airline tickets etc. In Hawaii sales tax is 4% and accommodation tax is 7.25%. So, in order to avoid embarrassment when it comes to paying the bill, you should always check that a stated price includes tax.

Visa Requirements
Since August of last year, visitors to the States from most other countries need a visa of some description – stamp, sticker or insert - in their passport which will inform those checking it as to what exactly what your business in the country is. To obtain such a visa you need to contact the US Embassy in your native country. If you are travelling from Australia, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the UK or Uruguay and are staying for less than ninety days (you will need to be able to prove this), you can waive US visas through the Visa Waiver Pilot Program. If you are staying for more than ninety days, you will need to obtain a visa to allow you to enter the country. Canadians need only proof of citizenship to cross the border.

Currency Exchange
Bringing foreign currency to the States is not recommended as foreign exchange bureaus are extremely rare and even changing it in banks is inconvenient. If you do need to change foreign cash, however, the best place to do so is in any exchange branch of Thomas Cook. These are usually located in the major cities but once you leave it is difficult to find them in the smaller towns. The situation is the same with traveller’s cheques. While they are widely accepted, this is only the case if they are denominated in US dollars. The three types of cheque which are most widely recognized are Visa, American Express and Thomas Cook. These are also the easiest to change. Most businesses will accept traveller’s cheques but you are better changing them in a bank. You will also need identification to do so.

The other much more convenient alternatives are either credit cards (Visa, Mastercard or American Express) or your regular bankcard from your home country. In the case of the latter, however, you do need to check that it is a member of either the Cirrus or Plus network and that the ATM you are using is too. This information is usually displayed clearly on the machine and chances are if you don’t see it, you can’t use your card there. With both credit and regular bankcards, you should be aware that you pay a minimum charge every time you withdraw cash and this fee can be anything up to $3.

The US phone systems are divided into three digit area codes by city and/or region. All the islands are covered by the 808 area code but if you are calling one island from another you will have to dial 1 followed by the area code and the local seven digit number. This also applies when calling any of the other states. If you are calling the US from outside the country you dial 00, followed by 1, the area code and the local number.

When using public telephones in the US, a calling card is your most convenient and cheapest option. You should also try to get a card which tells you what call and connection fees you are paying. If you do use coins be aware that for long distance and international calls, you will be surprised at how quickly they are used up.

To make calls within the country, prepaid calling cards again are the best method. Phone rates are highest between 7.00am and 11.00pm. To make the cheapest calls, you need to wait until Saturday or Sunday or late at night, as these times offer the best rates.

Because the income tax on tip earning service staff is based on money they should have received in tips, they may well have to pay tax on a tip that they never actually received. So, even if you never tip, you should feel bad enough about taking money out of people’s pockets, to do so while you are in the States.

As a general rule you should tip waiters and waitresses between fifteen and twenty percent of the bill, bartenders should receive between ten and fifteen percent, hairdressers, barbers and taxi drivers between fifteen and twenty percent. When it comes to luggage you should tip $1 dollar per bag and $2 to $3 if you have a lot of luggage. You should also leave $1 per day in your room for the chambermaids.

Public Holidays
It is worth noting what the public holidays are before you travel to a country as the majority of businesses, banks and shops usually shut for the day. In the US they take place on January 1st and 15th, February 19th, May 28th, July 4th, September 3rd, October 8th, November 11th and 29th and December 25th. It is a good idea to check the particular area too as certain towns and cities also shut down during special events.

Please give us your feedback