1166 Backpackers Reviews

1048 Nishimachi, Nagano, Japan

I really enjoyed my stay here. It's a small hostel that feels more like a home, which makes it great for meeting people. The owner, Orie, is really friendly and helpful. One morning she arranged a breakfast for guests and neighbours - it was great to be able to meet some locals.

Really nice hostel, a bit of a walk from the train station but close to Zenoji Temple. The staff were friendly and helpful with advice on how best to get to the snow monkeys etc. Stayed in a dorm with comfortable beds and even hot water bottles, so was very cosy. Common areas are social and friendly and the free breakfast in the morning was nice.

very unique hostel it's like a homestay just with a lot more people different one of the best hostels i've stayed in but need a sign so that you find it easier

Definitely a great place to sleep. Located close to the main temple of the city, the house is very nice, and I liked the old traditional ambiance. And of course the owner of this place, (Orie-san? I can't remember properly) is absolutely great. Good english, helpful and interesting. Higthly recommended guesthouse

• 20th Nov 2014

The most helpful staff, they could not have done more to help me on trip

Great staff and nice atmosphere !

It was some of the best hostels i have ever stayed at. Great atmosphere and a really nice staff! Highly recommended to stay here and join the big cosy table at the entrance! 😊

Nice and friendly hostel right near the temple and the bus stop for getting to nearby areas for hiking

Very accessible location as it is very close to a main bus line that will take you straight to the station or on to one of Nagano's sightseeing locations (Togakushi). It has a very homey feel to it, and the staff are quite friendly. I found that the room got very hot one night because I couldn't get any breeze from the fan, but I am used to cooler and less humid summers in my home country.

booked because of the good reviews but I just got a weird vibe from the owner. We arrived 30 minutes prior to check in time and was asked bluntly to come back in 30 mins. We had to ask if leaving our bags was ok but we couldn't stay in the lounge area until after 4pm...

Thank you for staying 1166backpackers and sorry that one of my staff was impolite when you check in. Everyday our staff will be staying at hostel at least by 3:30pm ( or whole day including day time ) under our work shift and early arrived guests can check-in if everything is ready. I appreciate your comment and we will aim at improving in the quality of service. Owner. ORIE.

The quietest hostel I have slept at, although nighttime can be a tad warm.

I had a wonderful time staying at 1166. The facilities were neat and clean, and the staff and other travellers very friendly and easy to get along with. A very handy location, and not too far from the main station. Highly recommended for travellers using Nagano as their base!

Had a great stay (apart from other people snoring). Security is average - there are some simple lockers for smaller valuables. Location is pretty good, close to the large temple, and not too far to walk to some shops for food. Also has cooking facilities. The dorm was very nice, with tatami, although the bed was a little strange with vertical instead of horizontal slats, but OK with the provided bedding. Very clean and well cared for. Staff also really nice.

Pros: Great staff and location!! Very clean and feels like you are staying in a traditional Japanese home. Very social at night with game night and locals eager to practice their English. Great WIfi connection as well. LOVED the rustic decor! Cons: Only one western toilet and one shower. But I never had to wait to use either, even when the hostel was full. No airconditioning. It was rather hot I had my own fan just above the head of my bed that kept me cool.

The staff were really helpful and nice. And passionate to teach you / show me where to get the bus :) The futon is comfortable. It's really nice to provide towel , shampoo, conditioner etc. for the guests. It's a bit far away from JR station but if you take bus from Shinjuku, Tokyo and get off at 善光寺大門, it's very very convenient !! The only disadvantage is the building is made of wood, so when you walk you can create noise to people. And no air conditioning is a bit choking during summer

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Nice small hostel close to the temple in Nagano. Staff very friendly and can give you tons of advice on what to do in and around Nagano.