1166 Backpackers Reviews

1048 Nishimachi, Nagano, Japan

Pros: Great staff and location!! Very clean and feels like you are staying in a traditional Japanese home. Very social at night with game night and locals eager to practice their English. Great WIfi connection as well. LOVED the rustic decor! Cons: Only one western toilet and one shower. But I never had to wait to use either, even when the hostel was full. No airconditioning. It was rather hot I had my own fan just above the head of my bed that kept me cool.

The staff were really helpful and nice. And passionate to teach you / show me where to get the bus :) The futon is comfortable. It's really nice to provide towel , shampoo, conditioner etc. for the guests. It's a bit far away from JR station but if you take bus from Shinjuku, Tokyo and get off at 善光寺大門, it's very very convenient !! The only disadvantage is the building is made of wood, so when you walk you can create noise to people. And no air conditioning is a bit choking during summer

• 13th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Nice small hostel close to the temple in Nagano. Staff very friendly and can give you tons of advice on what to do in and around Nagano.

What a fantastic place to stay! Spent most evenings chilling with the English speaking and accommodating staff who introduced me to a bunch of locals. The place itself is beautiful traditional Japanese styled rooms. The hostel is located close to the main temple, great coffee shops, cool restaurants, and grocery stores. If you go to Nagano you have to stay here!

These guys were really excellent. Incredibly comfortable sleeping arrangements; a really warm and welcoming staff; a short walk from the metro station (and along main street to boot); it was an incredibly comfortable, tightly knit community for the short time I was there. My only drawback as a westerner was that the sole bathroom had a traditional squatty potty toilet. Otherwise, this really was the perfect place =)

• 12th May 2014

My friend and I had such a wonderful stay at 1166 backpackers. The staff are all absolutely lovely and eager to help, and the lounge area is comfy and a really nice place to spend time. If I come back to Nagano I will definitely be staying here again!

Super nice hostel, very helpful staff. Our stay in Nagano was made very pleasant, and we had an amazing time just chatting in the common area. Very stylish place as well.

This place was fine to stay in, but it doesn't deserve its high rating. It's nice and clean, it's near to Zenkoji and the staff are nice people. But it's very basic. There is only one shower for everyone to share, and one sit down toilet. The toilet is just off the common room, so it feels pretty awkward going for a morning dump when other guests are having breakfast. I paid the same price for Nui. in Tokyo, which blows this out of the water seeing as its a minor town and comparing facilities.

1166 = your family name

staff knew nearby area very well

The staff was very helpful and friendly. Excellent common area. Overall a lovely little place. I would definitely stay there again.