Superb 277 Total Reviews
Superb 277 Total Reviews
1166 Backpackers Located at 1048 Nishimachi, , Nagano.
Japan
Nagano 1048 Nishimachi
94% 277
36.6553544 138.1863141
    Rooms available

• England, Male, 18-24
20th Apr 2016

I stayed in this hostel already in December 2015. My stay, with my parents this time, was as enjoyable as it was when I came with my friends. This hostel is just great and the staff is by far the nicest I've met in different hostels in Japan. Always keen to help and to have a chat. I love the atmosphere of the place with the common room which always feels so comfortable and welcoming. Would recommend to anyone willing to go to Nagano, I only have superb memories of this hostel.

7th Apr 2016

If you want a laid back place to just relax, or chat with some very cool locals and fellow travelers, don't miss this hostel. Best hostel in Japan.

• aprilodetteparker6615
  • Australia, Couple, 18-24
1st Apr 2016

1166 was a great stay and Nagano was my favourite city on our trip around Japan. The bunk rooms were spacious with plenty of space to store your luggage and the location great! The staff went above and beyond suggesting a free sake tasting house, an amazing iyazaki restaurant (that gave us gifts!), a cool shibuya style tiny bar(where we met a magician) and to go see the 6.28 morning ceremony at zenkō-Ji. The common room was cool and easy to talk to other people there as well as free soba tea! :)

• Netherlands, Female, 25-30
17th Mar 2016

This place was great. Everybody from the staff was really nice!! It is a small hostel which makes it a bit more personal. The only downside was the lack of showers and toilets.

• Wales, Female, 31-40
29th Feb 2016

Lovely friendly and hip hostel a short bus trip ride from train station. Ushi was extremely friendly and knowledgeable about local area, trips and ensured a great atmosphere for all. The hostel probably sleeps about 20 when full so surprising that there's only one shower. I did not have to wait however when I needed to use it. The English directions could be improved as I had trouble finding the place. A larger sign outside would help also.

21st Feb 2016

1166 is how all hostels should be - independently owned, small and cozy. It's famous among the Japanese, so there are quite a few Japanese staying here along with us foreign tourists (great way to actually learn about Japan!). Even neighbors frequent this hostel (with free snacks!) in the evenings because of the great atmosphere. Definitely recommend this hostel if you come to Nagano!

• Australia, Male, 31-40
15th Feb 2016

Staff were friendly, showed me places to go and good places to eat in Nagano.

• Wales, Female, 25-30
29th Jan 2016

A lovely warm, welcoming and friendly atmosphere. Thanks for a great stay!

• Singapore, Male, 18-24
21st Dec 2015

Staying at 1166 Backpackers was one of my favorite experiences during my three week trip to Japan. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful beyond belief. They had great advice on things to do in the area and during the evenings we all just hung around talking and they helped me practice my japanese. The hostel itself was comfortable and is very well located with just a short walk to pretty much everything.

• England, Male, 18-24
12th Dec 2015

I had a very enjoyable stay at 1166 Backpackers. The staff is super nice, always keen to help you sort out your days out with recommendations or good tips. The hostel is very well located with the temple being basically just next door, and Nagano station being very easy to reach too. It is clean, comfortable, and I wouldn't have minded staying longer. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone willing to visit the Nagano prefecture.