1166 Backpackers Reviews

1048 Nishimachi, Nagano, Japan

Wonderful, welcoming atmosphere. When I arrived some staff members, neighbors, and residents were sitting down to dinner in the main room. They not only invited me to eat with them, but were very supportive of my study of Japanese and taught me quite a few things. I highly recommend this hostel if you are interested in meeting and making friends with Japanese people in a way that (for me at least) is a bit more difficult while hosteling in big cities like Tokyo.

Wonderful hostel, keep up the good work.

Adorable hostel with lovely staff. Unfortunately only one bathroom for about 20 people staying there so a bit of a wait to use the showers. Also walls aren't soundproof at all, so despite the 11pm quiet curfew I could still hear the people downstairs talking till 2am. The highlight was definitely the staff and how nice they are.

Thank you for comments. Please let me make some corrections. We have 2 bathrooms and we can accommodate max 14people, not 20people.(I understand it still not enough though) We turned off the light and closed the first floor before midnight as usual on the day you stayed. 1166backpackers is Japanese old house and using traditional walls so they aren't soundproof at all. We will seriously consider what we can do for the sound from now on too

I stayed for one night. The staff were amazing, they were very welcoming and made me feel like home. They had neighbours came over to at hi and even had dinner together. I was there during a festival, they gathered everyone to make some traditional food, it was a very memorable experience for me. It's very close to the temple you can go see the morning service. Defintely a great place. Only drawback is it can be very cold in the hostel during winter.

I've stayed here before and it's definitely good. The staff is very friendly, and there's snacks and good music all the time. As soon as you arrive they ask you where do you plan going, and give you directions and recommendations. The place is all very clean, and although it takes what feels like a long walk from the station, it's easily found. But apparently if they don't know you're a foreigner, they'll charge you less. Bring a Japanese friend along~

Thank you for staying with us again. I don't understand what you mean. It is definitely same price without a doubt . You might have some misunderstanding because some people had already paid deposit or had paid with their coupon. It's not judged by nationality for sure. I hope to see you again. ORIE

Homely hostel with very friendly service. Would definitely recommend! Only downside way that it's a little hard to find :)

I loved our stay at 1166 backpackers! It's such a cosy, comfortable environment! Staff were absoleutly wonderful and so incredibly helpful! They were socute and provided snacks and hung out with us! Beds were really comfy and free breakfast was great! I am staying here again if I come to Nagano, and would recommend it to everyone!

The hostel is very clean, there is a good atmosphere and even a nice breakfast. Also the owner gave me lots of recommendations about the things to do in Nagano and looked for information about bus and train timetables to other cities nearby for me. Very helpful!

I had a really nice time at 1166 backpackers, the place is really cozy - i especially love the big wooden table in the lounge, and the japanese style sliding doors and that narrow staircase. It has a lot of character. Also, thank you Iimuro-san and K-san, the both of you made my stay very happy!

Great staff! Very comfortable beds.

We had a fantastic stay! The owner Ori (Odi?) was incredibly helpful and went out of her way to help plan our travels and deal with some unexpected contingencies. It was comfortable, warm and had a very friendly atmosphere. Really could not have asked for more.

• 18th Dec 2014

I really enjoyed my stay here. It's a small hostel that feels more like a home, which makes it great for meeting people. The owner, Orie, is really friendly and helpful. One morning she arranged a breakfast for guests and neighbours - it was great to be able to meet some locals.

Really nice hostel, a bit of a walk from the train station but close to Zenoji Temple. The staff were friendly and helpful with advice on how best to get to the snow monkeys etc. Stayed in a dorm with comfortable beds and even hot water bottles, so was very cosy. Common areas are social and friendly and the free breakfast in the morning was nice.

very unique hostel it's like a homestay just with a lot more people different one of the best hostels i've stayed in but need a sign so that you find it easier

Definitely a great place to sleep. Located close to the main temple of the city, the house is very nice, and I liked the old traditional ambiance. And of course the owner of this place, (Orie-san? I can't remember properly) is absolutely great. Good english, helpful and interesting. Higthly recommended guesthouse

• 20th Nov 2014

The most helpful staff, they could not have done more to help me on trip

Great staff and nice atmosphere !

It was some of the best hostels i have ever stayed at. Great atmosphere and a really nice staff! Highly recommended to stay here and join the big cosy table at the entrance! 😊