1770 Southern Cross Backpackers Reviews

2694 Round Hill Rd, QLD 4677, Agnes Water - Town of 1770, Australia

A very nice place. I stayed in a double room and it was fantastic.

• 29th Mar 2014

I had a lovely stay at Southern Cross Backpackers. The area around the hostel is huge and there's a lot to do (which is necessary because the town is quite small). I loved living in a bungalow, especially I liked the idea of giving them names of different countries. The kitchen is a little small for that many people and it could be better organized. And I missed laundry facilities, but except of this I really enjoyed my stay!

The hostel is trying to have a hippy/reggae atmosphere but as soon as you walk in you are told a list of rules. They didn't even keep my reservation with hostelworld correctly. There's more staff than vacationers in the hostel and they are more worried to serve their interests than the one of their customers. It's very far away from city center (which consists of two strip malls) and they have a shuttle bus running only every two hours and they treat you like if it's a favor.

The room was fine, although without locks/keys/lockers you need to be trusting. The en-suite was shared with 10 people, but not a problem during my stay. It wasn't appreciated when guests arrived from the 3am bus and staff brought them into the room, switched on lights and started having a conversation at full volume. Shuttle into town was useful as it is otherwise a bit far out. Big tins used as ashtrays in communal areas - absolutely stinks at every table. Ok, but probably wouldn't return.

• 14th Jan 2014

I love that hostel, very friendly, every day other activities, live music, free barbacue, etc.

Facility is nice but clearly lacking staff. Toilets were dirty with no paper or soap and a dirty towel.We were bombarded with a list of rules when we checked in and everywhere you looked there was another poster with a rule on the wall. wifi did not work properly.Our ensuite double room had been given away so we were given a regular private room however the light partition to the adjacent room meant that the person in the neighbouring room kept us awake all night snoring. Staff rude next morning

• 18th Nov 2013