1900 Backpackers Hostel Reviews

Av. Garcilazo de la Vega 1588, Lima, Peru

No water (at all) between 10-11 pm and 7-8 am. The hostel allowed a group of 10 adolescent boys to stay, along with several parents/chaperones who went out during the day and often at night, leaving the kids to stay in the hostel by themselves. They occupied the pool and foosball tables, wrecked a computer keyboard, stayed up until 5am shouting and banging on walls, peeking on women changing clothes. The noise and pollution were horrendous. A real hellhole. Never again.

Hi there, it saddens me to hear that you had such a bad experience on your vacation. The hostel is now under new management and changes are definitely been made so we don't have repeat occurrences such as your experience. For starters, children are no longer permitted in the hostel. Apart from that we have made contact with the city's water department demanding that they give us better services, I want you to understand this was not the fault of the hostel. Thank you, my apologies.

Good hostel only a bus ride away from the Miraflores District. Staff are friendly and the drinks are cheap. Only problem is it can get noisy at night time due to it being located on a main road.

Very friendly and helpful staff. We had hot dog and chips with a beer for 10 sol which was made by the hostel chef and this was delicious, definitely recommend! Good location for seeing downtown lima.

• 19th Jan 2014

Thanks for taking the time to submit your feedback, we really appreciate that! If it weren't for that we'd have no way of knowing where we went right, and where we need to pull up our socks! I'm sure glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope that you'll relay your good experiences onto others you know. We'll be here waiting for you guys! From all of us at 1900 Backpackers Hostel, a great big thank you!

Good location thou pick a room as far away from the street as possible. Very nice atmosphere and friendly staff. The location is very good if you want to be near the historical centre. Area is not as dodgy as people say.

Nice hostel in a central area of Lima but the noise of traffic and buses pumping their horns was unbearable. Nice bar if a little expensive for a beer. Plenty of eating places around. Reception staff were really helpful. Just too noisy in the morning when you try to sleep.

Hi, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! You'll be glad to know that the police have initiated a campaign to control the use of the horns that seems to be common practice in all parts of Peru. With a little education we can all reap the rewards. Why would you want to sleep when there's so much to do in this wonderful country anyway? All jokes aside, we appreciate your feedback and hope that you'll share your stories of the wonderful things you saw while here visiting.

rooms are very small, we had a private room with no ensuite and no windows. It was hot and very noisy from the bar and traffic outside. However the staff are very friendly and helpful.

Sorry, but we do not advertise our rooms having ensuite bathrooms. It s pitty people do not read well the hostels info and then complaint. Please read before booking any accommodation.

Quite central about 10min walk to Plaza de Armas. Shared bathrooms but quite spacious. Simple breakfast but this is normal in Perú. Hostel kept quite clean and offers strong wi-fi. A definite recommend for a short stay in Trujillo.

• 12th Jan 2014
  • Malta

Thanks for joining us here at 1900 Backpackers Hostel! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your time with us, and here in Peru too. We hope you can share your experience with those you meet on your journey and recommend that they come see this amazing, historic country. From all of us at 1900, thank you again, and safe travels!

it's right on the main road so it can be noisy during the day. Staffs are friendly and willing to help. WIFI is the fastest in the hostels in Peru i stayed. Great value for money. I prefer to stay in this area than Miraflores, because it easier to access the spots in Lima and also cheaper. I don't feel it's unsafe.

the historic center of Lima, where we are located, is one of the few cities in the world that have been declared a World Heritage Site. Its of an incredible heritage and cultural importance. You are right.

Beautiful antiquated and renovated mansion. Spacious rooms. The furniture outside of the rooms is a bit dingy. The location is not the safest, so I do not recommend women, especially, to walk around by themselves at night (nothing bad happened to me; I was told this by a couple of locals). At least close to the city center. Tour advice can be a bit better. I tried to email some tour operators that were posted on the wall and no response. The staff is phenomenal. Super nice and helpful.

Thanks for staying with us, we appreciate your feedback and we're working hard to make the changes necessary to achieve our goals. Although safety can be a concern in any large, metropolitan city, this location is rather safe. Myself and all of us here at 1900 thank you for choosing to stay with us. With the help of people like yourself we can make this a better place for everyone!!

It is a rather corporate (and huge) hostel, but is run fairly well. Staff are helpful and informative, and there is a huge cleaning staff that keeps the place cleaner than you would expect a place of this size to be. The location could not be better, and the big old building that houses the hostel is pretty amazing. The dorms are fine, and the bathrooms are decent (though the hot water knob is disabled in some of the showers). Has wifi, a tour booking office and all that jazz.

What do you mean by corporate hostel? Dont get it. The hostel is big, yes, the house is big, yes, there are plenty of people cleaning, yes, we have a bar and organize activities, yes, but dont get your comment. Specially if you put it in a negative way. .

I stayed there twice (5 nights in all): every night the water system was shut down from the early evening to the morning! The toilets were getting very fast full and awful. Definitely disgusting... They also claim to have a kitchen but it is so small and poorly equipped that it's hard to use it at all. Except that, the staff was nice and trying to be useful.

• 31st Dec 2013
  • Belgium

Why did you stay twice if you really think 1900 was so bad? Anyway, its not true we shut down the water. In the last 2 two weeks, not more, the city of Lima suffered of water shortages from 10pm to 7am. Thats not happening anymore, so there is water 24/7. Regarding the Kitchen, yes, its small but works fine. Anyway, you can eat for 5 soles (less than US$2) close to the hostel in many places, so almost everyone goes to these restaurants instead of cooking which is usually more expensive.

Perfect location, between the historical center and the bus stations. Great staff. The bar is rather expensive.

The complete hostel for backpacker, and mall just near theis hostel thus can buy everything you want. It's the good place for the backpackers who first time arrived this city.

• 27th Dec 2013
  • Taiwan

No heat, and the blankets they give you aren't enough--we were so cold at night we could barely sleep. The doors and windows don't shut completely, which doesn't help. The showers go from burning hot to ice cold every 30 seconds or so. There's also only one computer (in a really awkward location) for the entire hostel. The staff was incredibly nice, but we had to stay in a different room while the one we reserved got new beds/paint/everything, and the smell of chemicals was extremely strong.

• 25th Dec 2013

This is clearly a confusion. Lima is in a smoking hot Summer right now! Heat? More blankets? We do not understand why some people write reviews without being sure what they are writing. We know many people travel to different cities and can forget the hostels they have been in, but please, if you are not sure what you are writing, do not write it. The whole system is based in reviews and we are rated by your reviews. We have 2 computers for guest use, WIFI, hot water, etc, etc.

I had to cancel my visit but when I made the original booking, they had some helpful advice and I look forward to staying there next year.

An amazing find in the bussiness of central Lima! Helpful staff and clean, good facilities. Amazing value for money, would definitely stay again if in lima

• 6th Dec 2013

I had to leave a day early so I was able to hang out and store my things until my evening flight for S10. My things were secure while I spent the day out and relaxing when I returned. I was able to take a shower to freshen up before my long flight back to the USA.

• 26th Nov 2013

Great hostel in a great location to visit the city center but not if you want to party in Miraflores. Only downside was the really bad smell in the girls bathroom and the noise on the street as it is on a main boulevard. But atmosphere is good, clean, comfortable beds, hot showers.

Nice hostel in old bldg close to museums, parks, market. Small kitchen, need new fridge as not working properly. Many thanks to Francisco for keeping the washrooms and kitchen so clean! :)

A place that I would definitely recommend and also go to again when visiting Lima. The staff is super friendly and helpful, the location is good because its near to the bus station, the old city centre and in close reach to the hip areas of Miraflores and Baranco. The hostel is in a old colonial mansion, which creates a great atmosphere. Thanks also for the good coffee. See you again some day!