33 South Boutique Backpackers Reviews

48 Trill Rd, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa

Staff are all friendly, bbq is a fun idea but expensive. Internet was not always reliable. Everything was clean and the showers were good.

Watch out when you walk in the neighbourhooid at night, some homeless might approach you The bathroom is a little bit ridiculous where you might need to wipe the floor afterwards. I used the washer and dryer without knowing they are not for guest, and they got upset and charged me R55.

At approx 2 am in the night I was touched and woken up by a staff member with a erection. I got really scared and left the room to crash in the communal area (where I obviously didn't sleep as I was too traumatised). I was hoping to find someone at the desk but I didn't see anyone. At 5am someone got up from behind the desk. They help me pick up my stuff from the room I was in as I wanted to get the hell out of this place. The manager paid my stay somewhere else for the next night.

• 4th Oct 2015

Great hostel with great staff :) I can recommend to stay there for longer - tanks for having a great time there! I will come back, visiting Cape Town next time

• 2nd Sep 2015

I'm an American backpacker who's been all over Europe, the USA, and southern Africa, usually on a shoestring budget. 33 South is a cool little hostel all about chilling out in Observatory. The staff are locals who are knowledgeable about the history of Cape Town as a city but also Observatory as a neighborhood - they know all of the good nearby spots. The Sunday township tour is EXCELLENT. The only issues I had were, for a longer stay, it feels a bit small (common room gets busy).

Great and friendly staff. Rooms, bathrooms and kitchen very well maintained and the heaters in the dorms are extra pleasant on a cold winter's night

• 25th Jul 2015
  • Zambia

It's really difficult to get hot water to shower.

• 24th Jul 2015
  • Mexico

I will not recommend this establishment to anybody. The location is unsafe, parking is on the street, and the pictures on their website are overrated. Directions to the establishment were pathetic.

• 10th Jul 2015
  • South Africa

Great hostel! Very clean, well decorated, and AWESOME staff. Felt like a home away from home.

• 20th Jun 2015

I have a wonderful stay at 33 South Backpackers. I felt welcomed and there are a lot of activities proposed. The hostel is not downtown, but in a very nice place in the city where there is a lot of restaurants.

We enjoyed our stay very much! I have never experienced a hostel this clean and was therefore very pleased with it. The booking however had worked out wrong as there is a mistake in the system that allows you to book a single bed for 2 persons while paying for 2. This is why we did not notice the mistake until upon arrival when there was only one bed reserved for my friend and me... However this problem was solved nicely and we enjoyed the rest of our stay a lot!

• 24th Apr 2015

Great security and great staff ! Had really good moments with some of them ! However, in my 5 days stay, I NEVER had a warm shower... 5 days with cold water is a long time... As for the food, we've been stolen some of ours (goodbye Nutella :'( !) so be careful if you leave some food in the boxes next to the kitchen. Also, try to go early to the breakfast or all the muffins/banana bread will have been eaten already.

The bunk beds in some of the rooms need replacing due to old age or bad build quality. Power points for charging electrical items is also something that should be standard in a room. My room had nothing of the sort anywhere to be found. The hot water is not available at all hours and this can be highly annoying. I just ran the Two Oceans 56km Ultra Marathon and really needed a hot shower and I asked if management could do anything to change the rules for one day. Not very accomodating.

Lovely place with very friendly staff. Enjoyed my stat,will definately stay there again

• 20th Jan 2015
  • Zimbabwe

Had a great stay at 33 south. The staff are friendly and helpful and the facilities are neat and clean. Few bathrooms meant queueing on occasion. The thing we like best is the 24hr reception desk.

• 24th Dec 2014
  • South Africa

Nice, staff and nice people.

Had a great time att 33 South! The staff is very friendly and helpful. Comfortable beds and clean facilities. During my stay they organized a braai and an music night which was very fun. Probably the best hostel in Obz!

• 17th Mar 2014
  • Sweden

Definitely good value for money but best suited for young people and students. Our 'luxury' room was very dusty and extra blankets smelled of BO. Remove the dust trap of a decoration above the bed - black dust falls from it while you sleep. We were also very frustrated by the being asked to pay a second deposit during our travel across SA. We did not have internet every day and nearly missed request to pay an additional deposit (or loose reservation). This after paying one when we booked.

• 7th Apr 2013

Thank you for taking your time to give us some helpful feedback. We definitely will work on the points you have mentioned, for example, improving the internet connection. We try to treat our customers all in the same way, that is the reason, why we claim for every request a deposit. Otherwise the reservation will not be confirmed. We hope you understand our point of view.

The hostel felt like a semi permanent residance. Alot iof the people are staying there for long periods of time and thus we felt like we were invading their home.

• 1st Feb 2013
  • South Africa

Thank you for your honest feedback. We feel very sorry that you didn't get a warm welcome and never felt comfortable at our place. We try to avoid such situations in the future and hope that you will still join us again.

Very nice and clean hostel! Most comfortable beds in South Africa, lovely staff and vibrating neighbourhood. Very clea

Thank you for this feedback. Although it is a very good one, we need to say that we are still developing our Backpackers to keep this level.

« first « Prev 1 2 3