33 South Boutique Backpackers Reviews

48 Trill Rd, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa

I have a wonderful stay at 33 South Backpackers. I felt welcomed and there are a lot of activities proposed. The hostel is not downtown, but in a very nice place in the city where there is a lot of restaurants.

We enjoyed our stay very much! I have never experienced a hostel this clean and was therefore very pleased with it. The booking however had worked out wrong as there is a mistake in the system that allows you to book a single bed for 2 persons while paying for 2. This is why we did not notice the mistake until upon arrival when there was only one bed reserved for my friend and me... However this problem was solved nicely and we enjoyed the rest of our stay a lot!

• 24th Apr 2015

Great security and great staff ! Had really good moments with some of them ! However, in my 5 days stay, I NEVER had a warm shower... 5 days with cold water is a long time... As for the food, we've been stolen some of ours (goodbye Nutella :'( !) so be careful if you leave some food in the boxes next to the kitchen. Also, try to go early to the breakfast or all the muffins/banana bread will have been eaten already.

The bunk beds in some of the rooms need replacing due to old age or bad build quality. Power points for charging electrical items is also something that should be standard in a room. My room had nothing of the sort anywhere to be found. The hot water is not available at all hours and this can be highly annoying. I just ran the Two Oceans 56km Ultra Marathon and really needed a hot shower and I asked if management could do anything to change the rules for one day. Not very accomodating.

Lovely place with very friendly staff. Enjoyed my stat,will definately stay there again

• 20th Jan 2015
  • Zimbabwe

Had a great stay at 33 south. The staff are friendly and helpful and the facilities are neat and clean. Few bathrooms meant queueing on occasion. The thing we like best is the 24hr reception desk.

• 24th Dec 2014
  • South Africa

Nice, staff and nice people.

Had a great time att 33 South! The staff is very friendly and helpful. Comfortable beds and clean facilities. During my stay they organized a braai and an music night which was very fun. Probably the best hostel in Obz!

• 17th Mar 2014
  • Sweden

Definitely good value for money but best suited for young people and students. Our 'luxury' room was very dusty and extra blankets smelled of BO. Remove the dust trap of a decoration above the bed - black dust falls from it while you sleep. We were also very frustrated by the being asked to pay a second deposit during our travel across SA. We did not have internet every day and nearly missed request to pay an additional deposit (or loose reservation). This after paying one when we booked.

• 7th Apr 2013

Thank you for taking your time to give us some helpful feedback. We definitely will work on the points you have mentioned, for example, improving the internet connection. We try to treat our customers all in the same way, that is the reason, why we claim for every request a deposit. Otherwise the reservation will not be confirmed. We hope you understand our point of view.

The hostel felt like a semi permanent residance. Alot iof the people are staying there for long periods of time and thus we felt like we were invading their home.

• 1st Feb 2013
  • South Africa

Thank you for your honest feedback. We feel very sorry that you didn't get a warm welcome and never felt comfortable at our place. We try to avoid such situations in the future and hope that you will still join us again.

Very nice and clean hostel! Most comfortable beds in South Africa, lovely staff and vibrating neighbourhood. Very clea

Thank you for this feedback. Although it is a very good one, we need to say that we are still developing our Backpackers to keep this level.

Very clean, nice warm blankets and comfortable beds. Very friendly and helpful staff, especially Bones. Free breakfast was good: toast, tea, coffee and muffins! Will be even better once renovations on the bathrooms are completed.

Thank you for your good feedback! We give our best to continue at this level. We are looking forward to welcome you at our Backpackers, so that you can evaluate the new renovated bathrooms on your own.

First dorm we got put in the bunkbeds were falling apart = not good (one couldn't clime to the top bunk, without them caving in), after paying extra the new room and beds were good though and there was nothing more to complain about (except the one night where a drunk guy was allowed to stay there after a party - not nice when you're just girls).

• 2nd Aug 2012
  • Denmark

Thank you for your review, we value your opinion and will use it to improve areas that we need to, We apologise for your discomfort in the first dorm. We have subsequently bought new mattresses and are working on any bunk beds that need attention. But I am so glad you enjoyed the rest of your stay, please come back and visit us again soon! Regards Management

Great staff and I met some really interesting people, but it was incredibly noisy and there were only two working showers which meant you really had to time your mornings. Also my room ended up double booked (booked over hostel world ) so instead of the four bedroom I ended up in the 8 bed dorm. Nice that there is a sign up for a home-cooked meal in the kitchen though - and fresh made muffins for a free breakfast is divine!

Thank you very much for your review. Now all our showers are working again, sorry for that circumstance. We also improved our booking system to avoid mistakes that lead to different (wrong) rooms. Although you have mentioned some negative points, we hope you had also some good moments at our place.

Recommended to stay in Observatory, I stayed at the little oases 33 South Boutique Backpackers. Arriving at the backpackers felt like coming home, the welcome was warm, the vibe was chilled, the hole house was clean, the staff were like family. Observatory, the area around the backpackers, is like a small village in the city, you have got everything there from vintage boutiques, coffee shops, bars, a very cool local community and on top of that - the greatest view to the table mountain.

• 26th Jun 2012
  • Denmark

Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are perfectly happy about your words and try to keep it that way!

I absolutely love coming to 33 South! Just came back for the second time and I'm so happy I did. The staff and company are always super chill and help make for a awesome stay. You're bound to make connections and have a really good time. I'll be back for sure... I love you guys!

• 24th Jun 2012

Thank you very much for your great feedback! We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that you will come back to us. We are looking forward to that time!

I had a beautiful stay at 33!! The tour recommended by the staff was great! At the staff is great too!! Very relax atmosphere and clean. I would recommend it again to anyone! And I have seen a lot of hostel, but the staff makes it sooo much nicer!

It is a really nice place to stay, friendly and helpful staff. Only down side was the locqtion from the city centre but there is a train station near by and nice bars/ cafes, also there was a disagreement over the bar tab which I didnt want. I would reccommend this hostel!.

Fantastic. 33 South will bend over backwards to make you feel welcome. Super cute, super friendly, plus you wake up to super muffins in the morning!

• 24th May 2011
  • South Africa

A very convenient place in the most Bohemian corner of CT!!