40 Berkeley Hostel Reviews

40 Berkeley Street, MA, Boston, USA

Overall the hotel was not good for the money they charged. I got checked in in 3 minutes. And 2 min was to tell me all the money I needed to pay extra if I smoked or loose my keys. I found for myself there was a coffee machine but it was available only after breakfast time. No good in that.

I thought it was great for a hostel, but I've been in some pretty bad ones before. The boyfriend didn't care for it. I'd say the only problem is the lack of air conditioning. We were on the 5th floor, there was a breeze during the day but at night it was difficult to sleep, it was probably 88 degrees with a fan.

• 12th Aug 2014

It feels like a prison inside the room but the location is great for nightlife and transit.

This is the nicest hostel I've stayed at in terms of facilities and staff. It's location is perfect and within a 20 minute walking distance of South Station, Boston Commons, Newbury Street, and Copley Plaza. I have no complaints about my stay other than the fact that the WIFI was AWFUL. I couldn't watch anything and pages took a very long time to load. Otherwise, I would definitely stay here again!

• 7th Aug 2014

After reading many vaguely scary reviews that didn't leave me feeling too confident, we booked the hotel (price, last minute, etc). The lobby was really welcoming, with a really nice green little courtyard. The halls of the sleeping floors had a little bit of an odd smell (just damp/old/cleaning) but were otherwise okay. The rooms were small and clean. They were very old with a dorm room feel, but they were well washed, and the beds were comfortable and clean. Over all, would do again.

• 6th Aug 2014

It was a great hostel stay. My only issue was to get there and get back to the airport. The provided directions are all correct, but it's not as close as one may think it is. I took the silver line from the airport (SL1 + SL4), and had some heavy luggage to carry with me. That was a bit painful. But the rest was great!

Rooms are poor but generally clean.

• 26th Jul 2014

The rooms were very hot and the fan did little to cool it down, however i know air conditioning would increase the price so it is managable for a couple of nights

• 25th Jul 2014

Room smelt damp. Massive fans placed in the corridoor were very noisey. Blinds were broken and window wouldn't shut. The sheets were itchy. Far over priced for what it is.

Staff was helpful and friendly; big breakfast, but mostly unhealthy; room was ok; free popcorn; the only issue was that our hallway smelled of pie all the time. There was a guy LIVING in the room opposite to ours, the smell came from his room, as it was much stronger when his door was open!

• 22nd Jul 2014

Staff was great! Very helpful. Rooms could be a little better I guess for the money's worth.

• 21st Jul 2014
  • Mexico

The hostel was one of the less pleasant hostels we've had the pleasure of staying in. The staff throughout our stay were fairly unhelpful. The guys' bathroom was dirty almost every time it was visited. The room floors were lino tiled, the beds plastic wrapped and the ventilation almost non-existent. In addition it seemed to be a halfway house of sorts - there were some very strange residents who made some lift journeys intimidating. Breakfast was terrible. Would definitely not recommend.

• 14th Jul 2014

Our room was quite shabby for the $120+ we paid per night. Have had much better for that money throughout the USA. As the bathrooms are communal they get dirty quickly- would recommend more cleaning of these throughout the day. They lobby/communal areas are nice. Enjoyed the breakfast.

The hostel was OK for the money. The problem was how it charged the room, or how hostelworld.com charged the booking fee. See below.

• 9th Jul 2014
  • China

The room was very hot. It doesnt have airconditioner. but breakfast was very good. And the lobby was clean and wide

We had a 2-person ensuite w/ shared bathroom. Room was not good. Small room and NO AC in room (!), just a ceiling fan. Unbareable in summer. Shared bathroom was tough. Only stalls, and in same area as showers (i.e. you have to do your business in the same room as someone showering). Breakfast: hot every morning. Mostly eggs, sausage, pancakes, but different every day. Also cereal and milk + bread. Not great if your vegan. Decent locaton. A 15 minute walk to Boston Common.

Orange is the New Black... if you haven't seen the tv show yet, you'll at least have a chance to see what life in a low level security prison might be like. The location (close to the pub. gardens and great restaurants around the corner), staff, breakfast, and security at this place were all very good! However, the bedroom was stripped and not very clean, bring shower shoes if you dare take a shower, no ac in the rooms (visited during a muggy summer), and thin walls.

Hurricane Andrew cancelled July 4th 2014 festivities on the hatch shell; 2 days prior I cancelled my reservation and the cancellation process worked as expected. I am thankful for that. I've used this facility before and stayed there at least twice a year for the past 6 years.

Very expensive, but nice hostel. No bedbugs.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Denmark

Rooms could do with a bit of work as the room we got had no light and the blinds on the window didn't close. Other than that this is a good hostel to stay in as its very close to all the city attractions and in a very nice area

• 27th Jun 2014