40 Berkeley Hostel Reviews

40 Berkeley Street, MA, Boston, USA

Simple but clean and close to the city center.

• 24th Jun 2015

The room was not good, it need to be improved. The bathrooms were not all working and they did not repaired it. It is located in a good area; however, it is not a good price according to the services La habitación no era buena, necesita muchas mejoras. Los baños no estaban funcionando como debían y no fueron reparados. La ubicación es bastante buena. Sin embargo, la calidad con el precio no van de la mano

First impression was really bad, quite run-down place but actually provides everything you need to have a pleasant time in Boston. Furniture and bed was very low quality but the garden offers some relaxation and shade. Staff is friendly and the location is top.

40 Berkeley Hostel was a really nice hostel located within walking distance from Boston downton (but again, Boston downton is not very big) or also next to a T station . Entering the hostel you get an impression of dust in the lobby, and I was afraid at first I will have trouble with allergies but the room was rather clean and I didn't had any issue with it. The bathroom is clean and convenient. Functional wifi. One of the cheapest hostel apparently, althgh I wouldn't say it was cheap.

Our stay was awesome, great location, super nice and helpful staff. The room was big and clean. The neighbourghood was quiet and calm, really close to downtown. If I ever go bavk to Boston, I will stay there for sure. I recommend it to my friends.

Room & washroom was very dirty.

• 14th Jun 2015
  • Bangladesh

Wanted to stay two nights in Boston, as cheap and as near to downtown as possible. 40Berkeley Hostel is comparatively cheap and near the centre. The lobby is nice, our room very simple, but clear.

• 1st Jun 2015

Nice building , great location

Really small bed, not for two people. Not clean bathroom. To much heat. Elevators in bad conditions. Slow attention in reception.

• 1st Jun 2015
  • Chile

Very good location, tube station 5 min walk but city center also easy to walk to. Room was clean and spatious. The staff were really nice, friendly and helpful. Bathrooms were quite old but seemed to be very clean. Although there were quite a few homeless looking and old people in the building. It felt like staying in a homeless shelter or hospital.

As a college student who wanted to plan a getaway, I needed a place that wouldn't leave us completely broke to have fun around Boston. It was pretty cool staying here. We got a private room. It was very simple. No extra. I thought I would miss the hotel experience but the hostel experience is just as good! Only thing is, I wasnt too crazy about the communal bathrooms but they were clean and I knew what I was getting into when I booked the room lol. Staff was really cool as well. We had fun!

• 29th May 2015

The front desk staff is very nice. When she knew that I was the only guest in the 4-people room, she switched me a single room

It’s a huge hostel with several floors where they have a coffee machine, popcorn and a big living room with lots of books. The positive side is that the rooms and the bathrooms are clean. The negative side is that I had noises from the outside every morning because my room faced the street, so I used to wake up early. It’s a bit expensive for a hostel, but it’s always going to be less expensive than going to a hotel! Regarding the location, you have to walk a little bit to get to downtown.

Unfortunately our room looked way different to the pictures and we booked a room with two seperated beds and got one with only one very narrow bed. Additionally we thought that the check-in time we indicated during the booking- process would make sure we receive a room when we arrive-in the hostel we were told that this is optional, if there are any free rooms, we´ll get one before 3pm,if not, not. But the staff was very friendly and the rooms were cleaned up well.

• 22nd May 2015

I did not get any sleep hardly at all. The bed wasn't very good, the pillow was old and flat and worn and the blankets and sheets were ridiculously scratchy and itched.

• 19th May 2015

the smell of urine in the corridor was not very pleasant

Awesome location, facilities were great and rooms/bathrooms were clean! We stayed on the 6th floor and were surprised to see so many old people... Not sure if it's possible but the hostel should consider placing guests on age appropriate levels (the two of us girls felt a little uncomfortable with some of the older men in our wing)...

Everyone was helpful. No trouble to stop them and ask questions. For the amount of people that come in and out. I can recommend it to anyone. Thanks for putting me to them.

• 30th Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

I really appreciated the management of the storage room. The hostel was clean and equipped with all the necessary utilities. However, room's curtains are quite poor in that they let seep in much light in the morning. Apart from this, we had a good stay.

The rooms were clean and in a good location. The front desk staff were friendly. The atmosphere of this hostel is definitely... unique. The hostel appears to be available as a permanent residence for some tenants, and has an ambiance reminiscent of "drifter motel." Good place if you're looking for a functional bed to sleep in, but not so good if you want to meet other travelers or if you're looking for the typical hostel atmosphere.

• 9th Apr 2015