40 Berkeley Hostel Reviews

40 Berkeley Street, MA, Boston, USA

We stayed as a couple for one night and had a double room. It was clean and also really quiet during the night. The location is good but not excellent you can reach downtown by food in 20 minutes. As a couple we didn't interact so much with other guests but it seemed that it is a nice atmosphere where you are able to meet new people.

although it does not have a kitchen, there are tea and coffee making facilities- there is a microwave, toaster, kettle and coffee machines that you can use and FREE popcorn. the room was pretty plain but a good size. the heating didn't work and we made a complaint they came and fixed it straight away. its a quite hostel with not much noise, somewhere nice to get away from and close to the center and T stations. back bay is closer than Arlington station.

It is a suitable hostel for those who need to spend the day out, just come to sleep. The inattentive service personnel without any willingness to help, the only guest enters the 3 pm, not a minute before. The room is good, I could not understand how to ask for cleaning, spent 5 nights and it was not made in a cleaning. AVOID TAXI ask the reception, you will fall in a pinch, will call a special black taxi driven by a dishonest African, never take that taxi, is asking to be stolen.

• 10th Mar 2015

Rooms are outdated and need to be remodeled to match the pricing. It was way to warm in the lobby and lounge although we had winter. Location is good, employees were nice and security was solid.

• 8th Mar 2015

The hostel was fine, it just needed something to make the energy better. Music. Maybe a bar crawl.. Something for those in their 20's to be more social. Noise was a bit of a problem in our room. The heater was super hot so the window had to stay open, and the traffic is very load. Our blinds wouldn't shut too, so the street lights shone in. Also the free coffee is a coffee machine which was empty for 2 of my 3 day stay. Popcorn too. *Marge Simpson groan*

Very polite employees. Room furniture was very simple but good.

• 24th Feb 2015

No breakfast.

• 11th Feb 2015
  • Taiwan

All around better experience closer to the action at HI Boston. Sorry to say! Same price for much cleaner, more secure facility with many more bathrooms!

• 7th Feb 2015

Wonderful value, highly recommend!

• 7th Feb 2015

No hesitation in returning here or recommending to friends.

Perfect when you just need a place to sleep!

• 28th Jan 2015

Big place with some permanent residents. Some of the staff were not as helpful as they could have been. Kitchen is just a microwave and a toaster. Free coffee and popcorn were welcome and pool table and reading area were welcome while we killed time in the blizzard! The WiFi was good. 10 mins from subway and 30 mins walk to town.

The rooms were less inviting than your average college dorm room. Very minimalist, not very comfortable. The door wouldn't open or shut completely without a lot of effort. The bathrooms were beautiful when we arrived but a complete mess in the morning. Overall, not the best experience in a hostel I've had, but I've definitely had worse. You really get what you pay for, I suppose. It's cheap because there isn't much to it at all. No full kitchen, but a good location so food isn't ever far away.

I just want to thank the staff for being friendly and accommodating of my own personal needs during my stay. Allowing me to store my luggage with your front desk staff prior to my official check in made my day a thousand times easier. Thanks a billion! Without the helpfulness of the staff, I don't think my business trip could have gone so smoothly (at the cheap and affordable rate that I paid!)

• 5th Jan 2015

Very basic accommodation. Our room felt like a jail sell. That being said it was cheap and in a good location for getting around the city.

• 26th Dec 2014

It is good, for the location. It only takes 8 mins to walk to the subway. My room is near the street, so it was loud in the midnight.

Free breakfast should be provided.

• 24th Dec 2014

We would only stay here again for the price.

• 24th Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

40Berkeley is located in a great area. We stayed in a private double with shared bathroom facilities and it seemed like they were cleaned every couple of hours. The view we had of downtown Boston was great and we were within walking distance of pretty much everything. The only bummers were that we found no way to control our heating situation, from what we could tell the heat was centrally controlled so it was often stifling and we had to crack a window.

we couldnt use wifi on the first day, so i couldnt search subways or way to get the place. literally ruined whole day. they offered the internet but it costs. also according to the website, they are supposed to provide free breakfast but they didnt since the kitchen is broken.

• 26th Nov 2014