40 Berkeley Hostel Reviews

40 Berkeley Street, MA, Boston, USA

Hurricane Andrew cancelled July 4th 2014 festivities on the hatch shell; 2 days prior I cancelled my reservation and the cancellation process worked as expected. I am thankful for that. I've used this facility before and stayed there at least twice a year for the past 6 years.

Very expensive, but nice hostel. No bedbugs.

• 30th Jun 2014
  • Denmark

Rooms could do with a bit of work as the room we got had no light and the blinds on the window didn't close. Other than that this is a good hostel to stay in as its very close to all the city attractions and in a very nice area

• 27th Jun 2014

Staff was very unfriendly. Booked a private room with bath but we got one without bath. AFTER CHECK-IN YOU DON'T GET YOUR MONEY BACK, IF YOU DON'T WANT TO SPEND THE NIGHT THERE. Would not recommend to stay there. Room was tiny and dirty so we couldn't spend the night there!!! Had to leave after we hand checked-in, WASTE OF MONEY! After I saw the room, I knew why they have the policy that they dont't give you your money back after check-in!!!

• 26th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

As always great location and price.

• 25th Jun 2014

Front desk staff was mostly rude. Location is excellent, walking distance from most main attractions. Breakfast was impressive. Rooms are ok (no a/c). Left my luggage at the front desk for a couple of hours and a cup I had inside got broken. When I told the staff they wouldn't even apologize.

Awesome breakfast, was great, quite a big place but well run

I stayed here for 3 nights in June. The good: Location, price (relative other places in Boston), buffet breakfast, free wifi, clean enough bathrooms The bad: My room on the 6th floor wasn't very clean and was very tired and worn out. Floors and walls had a lot of wear and tear, the blinds were broken and very dusty. The overall decor was a bit depressing. There's no air conditioning although that wasn't a particular problem for me.

• 21st Jun 2014

We enjoyed our stay. We had a private room with a double bed. Pillows were flat as pancakes but the room was nice overall. Bathroom was clean and wifi worked well. Breakfast was a good value. Located in a safe part of town not too far from everything. Thank you!

The non-renovated rooms in this place are putrid. It feels like a jail, we were put on rusty camping beds and the room obviously hadn't been cleaned in a while, there was dirt and dust and hair everywhere. Disgusting. To top it off, my husband's bed was infested with bed bugs. I presume that the renovated rooms are much nicer but do yourself a favour and just stay somewhere else.

My room was horrible, nothing like the picture. The floors were sticky, found hair on my bed window broken and the metal beds which created rust marks on the floor. Wasn't a nice atmosphere. However I seen my friends 4bed room(instead of 2). It was lovely, new carpets pretty clean, the things in the room matched. If I had their room I would absolutely recommend you stay. If you got my room it was the worst room I have been in. Staff were brillant and helpful. Location was great.

• 1st Jun 2014

The bathrooms were not being cleaned enough! Quite run down. Wifi did work. Room was adequate. Some dodgy looking people stay there though. Not everyone is a tourist. Some permanent people.

B/fast was great! Disappointed in the room and the beds. The room was stinky. For the beds, we're given 1 twin bed and a double decker bed. In my reservation, it should be a 3 twin beds and not a double deck bed. I complained but there was no room available according to the reception. I was billed for what is not right. The washroom has no tissue and paper towel. I have to comedown to the reception to ensure the basic needs are in the washroom.

• 26th May 2014

Great little hostel right in the middle of Boston, very near everything. The wifi wasn't really working on the 3rd floor and the food did not look appetizing, but the rooms and bathrooms were very clean and quiet and I felt very safe at all times. Really great for travelers!

• 21st May 2014

A nice, handy place to stay while I was in Boston. Just what I was looking for.

Staff was friendly and helpful. Facilities clean.

• 10th May 2014

It is so expensive. In addition, the facilities were bad. I would better choose the other hostel. But breakfasy was really good. I could acknowlege.

Perfectly ok rooms though a bit sparse and tatty. Staff were pleasant and bathrooms mostly clean.

Staff there are cold, unfriendly and unwilling to help.

• 21st Apr 2014
  • China

Friendlier staff would be a help, i presented to them that I accidentally booked a private room for 4 as a solo traveler, they put me into a room single room and still charged me for $75 even on the website it was under 40. No real activities to get out and meet people show you round Boston etc more of a hotel than hostel.