40 Berkeley Hostel Reviews

40 Berkeley Street, MA, Boston, USA

Location is not very convenient. Breakfast was not good... :/ Sorry. Bathrooms are not clean. Staff was nice and tried to help - but they can't make up for everything. Too expensive, for what you get.

• 28th Dec 2013

I have been in many countries and cities and have to say that this hostel is one of the best where I was! very clean, quiet, nice double rooms, toilets very clean, the staff is very cool, had very safe place, 10 minutes walk to the center, breakfast is very good. I would recommend this hostel!

This hostel looks like an hotel! Breakfast is awesome! Me and my mother was ok about it!

I stayed there 1 night only. The staff was friendly. I arrived earlier than I had predicted and they were so nice to upgrade my room to a single suite with my own bathroom, which I appreciated. The room itself was ok. Cleanliness was ok as well. The mattress was comfortable. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to explore the neighborhood so I can't comment on that. But I would say that the location was pretty convenient (few bus stops around). I would seriously consider staying there again.

Lovely place to stay!!! Great location and friendly staff. Good price too. Boston is awesome!!

The old lady at the front desk was probably the nicest person I've ever met.

• 22nd Nov 2013
  • Austria

40 Berkley was an excellent hostel. They are in a great location that is convenient to all major tourist sites, the lobby is large and comfortable and the value is great. They give free cookies upon arrival and have free popcorn and coffee to snack on in the afternoon. There are places to lounge while you wait for your bus to leave. I thought it was a very nice hostel.

• 15th Nov 2013

I think that for this price, you can really find better. The room was not really clean, it was really hot inside and it was not possible to turn off the heating, the staff was not really friendly

• 13th Nov 2013
  • Belgium

The hostel is well-situated right in the centre of Boston, near a metro station. We especially liked the rooms, and the good facilities that include also complementary coffee, but two things were a bit disappointing. The staff were not attentive (and even rude) at check-in, and the directions to the hostel from South Station (where busses arrive) was a long way without the directions telling us to get the Metro straight away or to prepare for a 45 minute walk with our luggage. Otherwise good.

Very nice atmosphere, helpful staff and lot of additional facilities (free coffee, breakfast, wi-fi, TV, billiard tables). Rooms and bathrooms were clean, but could have been more spacious.

A second towel for my hair would have been useful, more showers per floor.Breakfast portions varied greatly depending upon who was on that day, would come back.

• 4th Nov 2013

Nice location! We arrived at about 5am at the hostel and we had the possibility to have our room right away (although the check-in is from 3pm!). The breakfast is "diverse" which is a real plus! Our room was yet not perfectly clean but that's definitely fine for a hostel.

Hostel is located near the China Town of South Boston. The room was not very big, but clear and except of beds has also closet, desk and chair. You can eat breakfast (included in the price of hostel) and dinner (additional 10$) downstairs. Facilities are the brightest side of the hostel! There are the cocktail room with coffee express (you can also make a tea), the movie room with a big television, a dvd player and cinema seats and the big relax area with many rocking chairs, sofas and armchairs

• 31st Oct 2013
  • Poland

Lovely stay, great location and friendly staff, they even me check into my room a few hours early, which was a real help. It's location meant that Downtown was easily in reach by walking, though I could have easily have taken the subway if I was in a hurry. There are also good restaurants nearby

• 30th Oct 2013

You should care the garden better. It would be convenient that the guest presented the room card when step in. It could avoid the presence of stranges. One day missed scramble eggs and other the breakfast started after the hour. The toast is too slow, or toats too much or just a little. There was only one sanitary bowl for regular people and other for disable people at third floor, near the elevator.

Not a bad place to stay in Boston and includes free breakfast. The common areas were great with a movie room and dining area, lots of places to chill out. The bedrooms reminded me of an old university halls and then bathrooms were nice enough but depending on where you are can be round the corner from your room. Overall we enjoyed our stay but it was just average! Short walk to the metro and good bars/restaurants so location was a definite plus.

very good location in central Boston, close to all public transport and all points of interest for visitors but the toilets bathrooms are letting this place down too few of them on each floor

• 24th Oct 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Good value, great location, very neat and clean. Love the free Starbuck's coffee and popcorn, and the included breakfast. Common areas very attractive; sleeping rooms, halls and bathrooms clean but very basic and drab colors, frayed carpet.

• 24th Oct 2013

Good location being walking distance from many of Boston's attractions. The amenities and free breakfast are good. Be aware that not all rooms have power sockets.

I felt this was professionally run, and I was pleased with my stay.

• 21st Oct 2013