40 Berkeley Hostel Reviews

40 Berkeley Street, MA, Boston, USA

For Boston on a budget, look no further than 40 Berkeley! Great location, 5-10 mins walk from Back Bay station, Boston Common also walkable in 15-20 mins. Friendly front desk staff and good value for money with the free breakfast, popcorn, coffee and watermelon slush in reception, and free wifi throughout. Only downside is only two showers in the ladies restrooms which leads to a bit of a wait in the mornings! Would definately stay here again if I was on a budget.

• 24th Jul 2013

Everything was great except the rooms at night we're unbearable without AC The kids had a blast!

• 21st Jul 2013

I tried different rooms and found that one bed was more comfortable than another. The location would be better without the heavy vehicle traffic, which starts at around 5 a.m. and can wake up guests. Overall, though, I'd recommend it because it seems to serve the community as well as tourists and is therefore worth supporting. Also, there is ample and varied space for hanging out. I think it has more private rooms than some other hostels and is a bit more affordable in that regard.

The first day the personnel was very good. The next day, we went down to the service desk to tell them that our shutter is broken and the only thing the person said: "I can't do anything, come at 7am and they will fix it" Actually he could leave a message for them. In doing so, he would deserve the money he earns. Furthermore, you couldn''t close the window and the room was a sauna (also fans didn't help). It seemed that the hostel is a factory cause of the vans. Location is bad for subway.

It is close to downtown The staff is helpfull The rooms are ok Good idea to serve free lunch one day I liked to stay there

• 15th Jul 2013
  • Denmark

Do NOT stay here in summer! There is no air conditioning in the rooms, just fans which literally do nothing. Our room was hotter than outside and absolutely unbearable! All other facilities were good :movie theatre, free popcorn and coffee, easy walk to the subway.

40 berkeley is a perfect hostel when we at Boston.the staff is kindly and work perfect,the breakfast is very good.

Compared to the other hostels in Boston, the 40Berkeley is probably a good deal. Staff was friendly. Breakfast was OK. The advertised Starbucks coffee is not served at breakfast. Rooms were at least clean, but the furniture was rather old. The shared bathrooms are regularly cleaned (at least there was a cleaning woman there every day I was there), but at a busy hour. There are only two showers per floor for women, so at one point there was a line. Due to its size, there was no real hostel flair.

This hostel has a great atmosphere to it. The majority of the staff are friendly and welcoming and the lobby area is very comfortable. Their is free coffee and popcorn available at certain times of the day to all residents which is a nice extra also. One thing to be cautious about is that the bedrooms are not air conditioned. We were not aware of this before we arrives and we were in boston when temperatures were over 90F and we found it difficult to sleep in the rooms with the heat.

• 7th Jul 2013

Ok but not the best ever for the price. Positive point: - free breakfast, good and complete ( cereal, toast, pancake, egg, bacon, french toast,...), - good spare space as pool room, movie room with popcorn, fireplace room, patio,... Negative point: -No climatisation; can be ok in winter but was like hell during summer. - only two showers per floor, have to wait our turn.

• 4th Jul 2013

I did realize when making my reservation that air conditioning was not available but did not realize that this meant the windows would need to be left open and there lies the only issue I had with my stay. The traffic noise from the street was loud and interupted my sleep. I know this is beyond the hostel's control but it did present a problem for me. The only thing that would have made my stay there perfect would have been some type of cooling system in place so windows could be closed.

• 2nd Jul 2013

This was my second time at the Berkeley, the first being last Spring. Autumn to Spring I would recommend it but not summer. The lack of air conditioning meant very uncomfortable, sleepless nights.

A good place to stay but it could do with more ventilation at night.

• 29th Jun 2013
  • Chile

nice breakfast!

The lobby is so nice, spacious and beautiful with the movie theatre and study room. But the room is so bad. I stayed in a twin bedroom. they dont have an ensuite so you dony have your own bathroom which is very inconvenient. They dont have air con in the room and the room is very small too.

Very good location. This place might have basic beds and facilities, but the staff are extremely helpful and really make you feel as ease! They will help with anything!!

• 24th Jun 2013

No clim is the worst. I wouldn't spend a night there again during summer time.

Certainly one of the cheaper places to stay in Boston. I was hoping it was going to have a friendlier atmosphere amongst those who were staying there but everyone seemed to keep to themselves. Staff were very helpful and facilities were good. Location was brilliant nice relaxed streets in the immediate areas before you head into the main city. My only complaint is the breakfast which I started to miss as it was more enjoyable going to a local cafe and listening to decent music and paying extra

When I arrived in Boston, didn't know how to go to the hostel with any other transportation from the bus terminal. Though we had a sheet of paper with directions to a hostel, it only had how to get there by foot. And after when we checked in, we found a subway station nearby.. Hope you also include directions with transportation.

• 21st Jun 2013