40 Berkeley Hostel Reviews

40 Berkeley Street, MA, Boston, USA

ripoff. Could have stayed at a 2 or 3 star hotel for the same price. Paint the walls rip up the nasty carpeting do something about the god-awful lighting in the rooms. Wouldn't cost much at all to make this a far nicer place. Hostel was embarrassingly bad compared to most ive been to.

Just not worth the money paid. Period.

• 28th Oct 2015

It was a basic hostel. Not much to tell about it; the furnishings were kind of old, but overall it was fine. Don't go here if you want a fun hostel, but if you only come to sleep, it provides pretty okay beds to sleep in. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. What you see is what you get.

Couldn't get the heater to turn off all night despite following the instructions so the room was super hot and uncomfortable, other than that it was ok!

Es un buen hostel, las instalaciones son correctas y bastante limpias. Yo me quede solo dos dias y en una habitación privada por lo que no sé cómo eran las habitaciones compartidas. La ubicación es buena, podes recorrer todos Boston sin la necesidad de tomar metro (excepto para ir a Harvard)

The showers were in bad condition and the hallways stank. The location is close to downtown.

• 8th Oct 2015
  • Turkey

We were really disappointed with our stay at 40 Berkeley. The room was small, and smelled like spoiled milk and cigarette smoke. The beds were old, rusted, and uncomfortable, and there were no blankets provided, only shred and a thin coverlet. There was a laundry, which was convenient, but there was no kitchen or fridge to make or store your own food. There was only 1 female bathroom on our level, but there were 2-3 male bathrooms. The staff weren't rude, but they were never friendly or helpful.

The place was OK, more or less as described. Quite expensive given how basic it is.

location and value was great

• 5th Oct 2015
  • Poland

i thought it was a little odd to not have a mirror in the room somewhere, and they didn't provide tissues to the room either. It just felt strange. The showers were a little problematic. I am 5'4 and had to stoop to get the spray in my hair. it wasn't more than 4' off the ground and affixed so that I couldn't angle it up. other than those things, it was a great space and relatively central for brisk walks to downtown.

• 2nd Oct 2015

The location was very convenient for me however I found the price to be very high for a single room. I was very happy with the staff as I had complications with my travel prior to arrival but they were extremely helpful in giving me the help that I needed and when I left calling me a taxi.

• 1st Oct 2015

Really enjoyed my stay. My room was right next to the male bathroom and elevators and at no time was I disturbed with noise. The money I saved by staying there gave me extra for food and drink while in Boston. If I return to Boston I would definitely stay there again.

• 21st Sep 2015
  • Scotland

Trash Hostel. No bathroom. Disgusting smell. Single bed for 2...

• 20th Sep 2015
  • Couple, 41+

It was my second stay at the hostel and both times was great. Nothing to complain about. Everything was great.

The room was what I expected for a hostel, the bathroom was updated and very clean. My only complaint was that my room was next to the men's bathroom and the noises coming out of that room were disturbing in the middle of the night (during the day the traffic and street noises blocked out those sounds).

• 15th Sep 2015

Basic hostel rooms but surprisingly comfortable. Easy access to downtown Boston. Affordable for Boston.

I asked for parking in the area saturday at 10 pm and they didn't tell me the parking outside it was free saturdays after 8 and sundays.

• 12th Sep 2015
  • Spain

Location is perfect, walking distance from all main downtown destinations. Very close from Back Bay Train station so those who travel to Boston by train get off at Boston Back Bay, don't go to South Station. The hostel is big and it actually looks like a hotel. There are free tea/hot water and popcorn in the lobby. Rooms are minimalistic. Bathroom/shower is clean. Overall impression - ok to stay for one night but may be boring if stay longer.

Very basic hostel. We were let in to our room but when we arrived, it wasn't cleaned yet. The situation was resolved easily though. Best part, I guess, is that the hostel held our bags even after check out so we can roam Boston hassle-free. Also, great location!

• 5th Sep 2015
  • Philippines

When I made my initial booking, I selected 2 beds in a 4 bed dorm (no twin rooms as an option) but then I was charged for 4 people. I contacted the hostel explaining I only wanted 2 beds, but they stated that the room was only available as a whole - I felt this is not clear when booking, but had no time to look elsewhere. I had been moved to a twin room despite paying for a 4 bed dorm, so I feel exploited. The room itself was small, very dated and could have been cleaner.