404 Hostel Reviews

Neusser Strasse 404, Nippes, Cologne, Germany

The stay at the 404 hostel was great. The house is a small,nice one. It's a good place to get to know new people. The subway is really near to the hostel so you easy get to the centre where all the sights are. Only the breakfast is small like it's announced.

• 11th Feb 2015

the owner seems a little strange at first and you will find him very interesting and hard working. we really enjoyed there and want it again.

Thanks for the stay!

• 28th Dec 2014

Stayed one night in the four person room. The place is nice, super quiet (only room for 12 people total) and seems like a good place if you need to stay for a long time. Location was not perfect, you have to walk around to the back of what seems like an empty building, and it's too far to walk to the city center, but if you are okay with an approx. 15 minute tram ride into the city I would recommend staying here. Wish the wifi would have worked better though...

You have to use train to visit the touristic points, which I don't like to do, I prefer walk than spend my money with this. However the square is really good, you will find a subway next to the hostel. The hostel is clean and cute, I loved the bedroom, you can wash your clothes and use the kitchen as well. But if you don't like rules, don't go there, has many rules and one of them made us lose some money. I recommend the hostel if you are sure that u will not have timing problems in your trip.

• 20th Dec 2014

Thank you for the review. I don't offer laundry service. All rules are made for a reason. Except of non smoking policy, not to take a shower after midnight in the ensuite bathroom and keep the kitchen clean everything else is about information and how to handle things.

very nice hostel, good location. though a bit more expensive than hostels i've stayed in previously, was much nicer than usual. very nice furnishings, nice breakfast. the owner was very helpful.

It was quite clean and quiet. it's not in the city center but close-by and the trams are driving all night. apart from the breakfast it is recommandable. of course you can't expect a 5 star buffet but just toast, nutella and marmalade is a bit disappointing cause i dont like sweet breakfast and would have been quite satisfied with at least one sort of cheese. but the rest totally ok!

• 14th Nov 2014

Nice quiet place to stay

• 14th Nov 2014

Nice hostel outside city center, which was the only drawback. The place seemed to be clean and the bathroom was really big. The staff was kind and helpful.

This hostel is exactly as stated in its description. It is very small and is probably most suited for a quiet stay. I could not rate is highly on atmosphere but everything else was as described especially cleanliness and space and there was no problem leaving backpack on departure day. It lives up to the German cliche of efficiency.

I highly recommend this hostel – facilities are great (large rooms, lockers with padlocks provided, linen, equipped kitchen, free tea and coffee, wifi, powerful shower, books and board games, living room), and it is one of the cleanest hostels I have seen. It is small, and definitely not a party hostel, so for people on business trips like myself the atmosphere was perfect. If you are looking for a bar or disco, I would suggest one of the larger hostels instead, and also this is not a suitable

Clean and comfortable! I will definitely go back.

The hostal is more less good, i think its a little far to the center more less 40 minutos walk! The attention its no a really good because you need to arrive between 10 to 1 and after 5 to 10 so if you arrive between this hours its ok if not you will need to wait its no normal in the hostels!!!

Why did you book this hostel? Everything you criticize is mentioned on the description of the hostel.

Good place with a good kitchen. Good basic breakfast. Just be aware of reception opening hours. Public transport nearby.

I've read the previous messages about this hostel and I just don't get them. How people expect a five star hotel for 18 euros? And why is importan if the reception is friendly? A helpful man runs the place, for me that's enough. I found this hostel just great: Good comunication with the owner, really really clean, the breakfest is good too (Musly, bread, jam and nutella - free), train station about 3min, supermarket near by. I'll go again to Köln this year and for sure I'll come back.

This place is nice and cosy, definitely not social as it is so small, though it is comfortable. The 4 bed dorm had single beds without bunks, enough powerpoints, and a big locker for each bed. A small but well functioning kitchen, with a basic breakfast (but milk should really be kept in the fridge!!). A long walk into the city, but the metro is nearby and multiple supermarkets close to the hostel. The manager runs the whole place on his own and is definitely an odd kind of man.

Everything would be perfect except the character of the staff. When I couldn't catch what he said, he just told me "That is what I told you now." And he just left me... I would like to let him know that there are a lot of people who speaks English not so well in the world.

I'm sorry. You should not say yes to everything if you don't understand the language. You gave me the impression of good english skills. I showed you around in the hostel and asked you "...please read the hostel rules where you find the password for the internet." 10 seconds later you came to me and asked me for the password for the internet. I asked you again to read the hostel rules as i told you a few seconds ago. It was not a matter of understanding, but a matter of listening to.

The place even though not located in the central, is easy to access via the subway which is just a stone's throw away. In the evening between certain hour the reception is close (it reopened after 5pm if I remember correctly, so for those checking in please be aware of this). The room is very spacious and clean, beds are comfy, with a jaw dropping huge ensuite bathroom! Simple breakfast in the morning. Overall it was a good stay and we met quite a few interesting people from different background

Solid hostel. Room was nice, shower/bathroom was nice. You get your own locked chest which is nice for security. It is a little far from center city, but it is right near a metro so that's not an issue. It was always clean too. Only issue was no showers past midnight and the wifi turned off between 1AM-7AM. I am usually a night owl so that was a little annoying.

Thank you for the review. In my honest opinion it's much more annoying to take a shower in the ensuite bathroom while other people like to sleep. It's louder than you think.