404 Hostel Reviews

Neusser Strasse 404, Nippes, Cologne, Germany

A gracious host, but the hostel was much further from the city than previously understood. Had to take the U-Bahn each time. Also, the shower in our room was out of order the entirety of our three days there. We had to use the upstairs one, that was almost always occupied by the occupants meant to use it. Not an ideal situation for the price we were paying.

The 404 is a nice little hostel, it's clean and comfortable with a decent little kitchen. The trunks for lockers are a nice touch. Reception hours are restrictive so be aware of the opening times.

Bad location, clean rooms, awkward atmosphere and unfriendly owner. I have never stayed in a hostel like this before and hopefully wont have to again. Not a great place to meet people, and the owner was unhelpful and quite rude at times. Would not recommend and will not stay again.

The hostel is very clean and I enjoyed my stay in there. I just think the staff is inconvenient. The owner cleaned my room when I was stil there, which I consider very rude, lack of privacy. Moreover, on my last day there he told me I could leave my suitcase there To enjoy my day in the city and go back there to take it later. However, when I arrived there I rang the bell insistently and he just didn't answer, a guest heard me and opened the door, when I entered I could hear the owner there!!

Sorry about the luggage issue. I dindn't hear the bell ringing. I have to think about a louder one. As you stayed in a dorm room and other people had checked out i have to prepare the beds for incoming guests. All guests get a readymade bed with fresh linen. I think you prefer a clean room on arrival too. The lack of privacy is always given in a dorm room no matter if it is another guest or me entering the room.

Hostel was really nice. It is a small house without any sign. There is just small note on the door from backyard. There is free parking during the night in front of the hostel but mostly it is full. Nearby there is a free parking place. You have to pay deposit 10euros for keys. Lockers are quite big. You can put small lugage in it. The only disadvantage is that it is far from city center (45min) by walk but you can take metro (staff explained us everything what we needed to know)

Good place; good guy. Tilo was cool and very helpful. He gave me a lot of info relevant to my interests which made doing what I wanted to do a LOT easier! Love all the guitars, etc...

all was perfectly fine

Small hostel in a house you easily overlook, including breakfast in a small kitchen, felt a bit like staying over by friends

This place is good if your looking to get a good night of sleep, but if you are looking to get around and party at night you may want to look for something closer to the downtown areas.

The stay at the 404 hostel was great. The house is a small,nice one. It's a good place to get to know new people. The subway is really near to the hostel so you easy get to the centre where all the sights are. Only the breakfast is small like it's announced.

• 11th Feb 2015

the owner seems a little strange at first and you will find him very interesting and hard working. we really enjoyed there and want it again.

Thanks for the stay!

• 28th Dec 2014

Stayed one night in the four person room. The place is nice, super quiet (only room for 12 people total) and seems like a good place if you need to stay for a long time. Location was not perfect, you have to walk around to the back of what seems like an empty building, and it's too far to walk to the city center, but if you are okay with an approx. 15 minute tram ride into the city I would recommend staying here. Wish the wifi would have worked better though...

You have to use train to visit the touristic points, which I don't like to do, I prefer walk than spend my money with this. However the square is really good, you will find a subway next to the hostel. The hostel is clean and cute, I loved the bedroom, you can wash your clothes and use the kitchen as well. But if you don't like rules, don't go there, has many rules and one of them made us lose some money. I recommend the hostel if you are sure that u will not have timing problems in your trip.

• 20th Dec 2014

Thank you for the review. I don't offer laundry service. All rules are made for a reason. Except of non smoking policy, not to take a shower after midnight in the ensuite bathroom and keep the kitchen clean everything else is about information and how to handle things.

very nice hostel, good location. though a bit more expensive than hostels i've stayed in previously, was much nicer than usual. very nice furnishings, nice breakfast. the owner was very helpful.