500 West Hotel San Diego Downtown Reviews

500 W.Broadway Street, San Diego, USA

500 West is located conveniently in downtown San Diego with easy access to the Airport and walking distance to both the Amtrak and Trolley.Greyhound is a 5 minute car ride away. The staff here goes out of their way to help you! In that sense, it truly felt like a Hotel and not a hostel.The building is a bit grungy but the facilities are great. There is a spacious kitchen, laundry room, community area, outdoor seating, and a gym. There's also a yummy cafe diner with good eats downstairs.

• 11th Oct 2014

Toilets constantly overflowing hallways stink like nightclub toilets. Good location. Rooms were fine but as there is no aircon forced to have windows open and was very noisy with construction nearby and train station next door

• 11th Aug 2014

Staff unhelpful to the point of totally disinterested mostly Mexican who could n't be bothered communicating in English. Rooms terribly small, 4 people crammed in with poor in room facilities. Not very clean and not ahostel feel more of a run down old hotel. It rates badly this place generall and I can see why. Not agreat experience.

I had three nights there. But only had one hot water shower on the first night. The shower seemed broken for the rest. The similar situation was for the only very old elevator. I took it on the night when I arrived. But it seemed no long working for the rest days -- the elevator just did not move no matter you push any buttons. On the other hand, the bunk beds in the dorm room are narrow than normal college dorm setting.

• 3rd Jul 2014

There were homeless people around the hostel and in the lobby. The staff was unfriendly and the hostel smelled incredibly bad. One elevator was broken and the other one was operating very slow. Another guest told us that he was leaving first thing in the morning to another hostel due to the condition of this place. We walked up to our room and immediately left. I asked to be refunded and they said I could not get a refund, so we left and went to elsewhere. I felt unsafe and creeped out.

• 14th Sep 2013

I just stay for one night. The location is perfect. And it only fit for one night. Or I will be crazy for the facilities.

This is not a hostel with positive energy and nor social activities; it's part SRO (single residency occupancy); I can't keep my food in the fridge without it being stolen from the occupants staying there; it has a dark feeling of hopelessness, depression and loneness. There is this ongoing smell throughout the building as if the occupants do not use deodorant because it lingers on the carpet that should be replaced. The good thing is the location by the train/trolley stations and buses.

This was a really nice place. I only stayed there for one night. There wasn't any common room to meet people which was a bummer. But other than it was pretty good. I would stay here again.

Well located, staff not very receptive, though helpful.

This Hotel was more of an apartment not a Hostel, some visitors are long-term residents. If you want privacy but quick access to the Gaslamp this is a good choice. There are plenty of bathrooms and the dorm space is fair. This is not a social hostel more of a passing point. Easy access to the Trolley Station, (WHEEL FUN BIKE RENTALS) Bus stops, and Harbor Drive. The restaurant attached serves good breakfast at a small fee as well. Overall if you are mature come here.

When I arrived Teressa said the deposit I paid upon booking was a fee to hostelworld and charged me the full rate + taxes. I had the agreement printed but she & the manager the next day refused to honor it. They said they have this problem often & "don't know why the website says that." Hostelworld fails to mention the $30/day fee for their "convenient" parking. Between the slamming doors, people arguing, trains and the crossing signal for the train, I literally got 1-2 hours of sleep here.

Rooms are simple but clean People are very friendly :-)

• 5th Apr 2013

Th hostel is well-placed close to public transport and good-value eateries. The rooms are adequate for a short stay.

Great location and great hotel!!

Cleaner rooms, and more helpful staff would be a start.

• 6th Feb 2013

The room was smaller than a prison cell, and I didn't feel safe safe walking past the other rooms in the hostel. Facilities were overall poor.

• 8th Jan 2013

Attended a conference in San Diego. It is a reasonable (< 1/2 mile) walk to the Convention Center. I stayed in a (clean) private room, and the showers down the hall are clean and private. Wifi is free. Towels are provided, shampoo and soap are in the showers, in dispensers. My room faced Broadway; sometimes the road noise was audible, as was the nearby Amtrak, but not too bad. If you need total silence, consider asking the staff about it. No noise was audible from other rooms.

• 17th Nov 2012

Great location and reasonable price but this place is good for a short stay, I think.

• 13th Nov 2012
  • South Korea

Value for money +++++. This is not for the sissy. If you're idea is just to have a place to stay and sleep, then this is the best value.

The Hostelworld charged 10% deposit. The hotel charges the full amount. I need to check with Hostelworld for refund. Users! beaware!

• 12th Oct 2012