790 on George Reviews

790 George Street, Sydney, Sydney, Australia

The atmosphere is not really great

Hostel was in a great location, really close everything you need. Staff were also very knowledgable and actually tried to help you out. Kitchen could do with a touch up but still was good enough to cook in. Some nights they have events which are good to meet new people around the hostel.

Great and perfect location. Friendly staff. I will book it again.

The atmosphere was generally good. But there were three people who abused the privilege of having alcohol in the kitchen. On Friday night 10 April, they took up a major part of a table and in a noisy drunken state proceeded to spoil the atmosphere for everyone else. There must be some rules around alcohol otherwise this type of disturbance can only get worse. I have no problem with alcohol, I drink myself, but those who can't observe normal behaviour should be controlled.

If all your bothered about is a cheap place to stay in a good location you will be fine. But I thought it was dirty, smelly and very in need of an undate the whole place was lacking a cleaner. It was also busy and so pretty crowded. I wouldn't stay again.

Hostel was pretty gross: black mold in the shower, cockroaches, toilets in desperate need of a cleaning. Staff seemed really incompetent, I arrived early and everyone kept telling me a different time I could check in. Then when they said my room had been cleaned the girls in there said no one had been there the night before... IE I could have checked in hours prior. TOO MANY LONG TERMERS, very cliquey, idk it's cheap but pretty bad.

untidy kitchen

The hostel is centrally located and very close to train/bus station. The room is much smaller than it looks on photos and a little bit humid inside. The bed I slept on was badly maintained and shaking easily. Bathrooms are untidy and need more attention.

Not the cleanest hostel I've stayed while travelling in Australia. Carpets need to be changed or at least properly vacuumed as it is so dusty there. Room had a funny smell as the air con neither ventilation was working. Super noisy due to the location on George St. Kitchen needs upgrading, not enough crockery or cutlery and it was hardly ever clean. Bathrooms however were modern. Run down place, which explains the cheaper prices than other hostels in the area.

My friend and I stayed here for 2 weeks, we enjoyed that it was in the city and had easy access to transport often going down to Bondi for the day. We loved the atmosphere of the hostel and how everybody enjoyed interacting and partying. And also it was close to any shops we needed. Our only negatives were that the wifi cut out and was pretty expensive! They also hurried our roomate out even though the new person didnt arrive until 1am the next day!! But overall we enjoyed it :)

• 10th Feb 2015

The room was very dark, dirty and stinky. It wasn't possible open the window. The worst thing was the kitchen: dirty and messy, I didn't feel like to cook anything there!

Great location and very comfy beds but no charme, no flair, the advertised super friendly staff was not interested, only some of the lockers in the room could be locked and were filled with rubbish.

Middle-east-looking staff did tell me twice a higher price than I had to pay. Only by showing the e-mail-confirmation they changed their mind. Maybe this happend because I belong to the rich white race (German). The hostel is dirty, loud (also at night)& has very limited space. One lift for 7 floors-too small. The kitchen was horrible, almost everything I had to wash before I used it. The public room smells ugly. Sydney is a magnet for people who want to waste their youth with drugs and alcohol.

• 7th Feb 2015

They changed my sheets every 3 days which was great but the bathroom could have been a little cleaner and floor 5 smelt of stale alcohol in the carpets. Plenty of space to cook in the kitchen use of large fridges. The staff at reception were helpful in booking a tour and information about Sydney. 24 hour reception was handy. Thanks!

• 27th Jan 2015

Great hostel. Great location, great kitchen, great shower and toilet facilities. Just lacking a bit of atmosphere, maybe it was because we had a couple of strange characters in our dorm.

Good hostel with great location! Clean rooms and big clean kitchen! Staff very friendly

• 11th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

Goood hostel for the money

The staff was very helpful. I lost my plastic keys, it only costed me $2. Can't top that. The staff also provided me a towel for free, usually $2. The hostel gave a Christmas party to the guest at a nearby bar with free beers and pizza. What a way to show hospitality. I love the place. I would certainly highly recommend it.