9th Ave Hostel Reviews

905 9th Ave, Fairbanks, USA

A brilliant hostel. Clean and cosy and in a convenient location (easily accessable with all modes of transportation including a bus stop right outside the door). I felt home immediately. Cho is very welcoming and no matter how many times you knock at his door, he opens it with a big smile on his face and ready to help. Highly recommended.

Cho was a great host and the location was great to see the northern lights!

Cho was super helpful and very friendly, always around to answer questions or just to chat! The location was great, within walking distance of much of Fairbanks, and right next to a bus stop for two different bus routes. It was a little dirty and crowded at times, but not enough to make me uncomfortable. Overall, a great option for Fairbanks!

The hostel was very clean and well maintained. Being provided with bedding and a towel exceeded my expectations. Excellent customer service, Cho! Thank you.

• 19th Aug 2015

Good location near downtown. The bed is very comfortable!! Great mattress:)

All good. Courteous host, interesting guests. The door that's supposed to be locked isn't locked properly by guests much of the time but that's a hard rule to enforce. The place is about 15-20 minute walk from downtown and on the side of town closer to the airport, so that helps to keep taxi fares down.

Cho was friendly and helpful during our stay. The hostel was tidy and clean. The information provided on Hostelworld.com states there are two 4 bed dorms. It does NOT mention the bunk bed in the living area downstairs, between the two dorm rooms, with only a partial curtain across it for privacy, which is where we stayed. As a couple, paying $60 for the two of us to sleep in an open room with the 8 people from the two dorm rooms coming in and out of our sleeping area was not worth the money.

• 26th May 2015

Nice, clean and above all WARM. This is a cozy house, not a hotel, so it feels like you're staying with friends. Two dorms downstairs in the basement, living room and kitchen upstairs. Cho is a cool guy who manages the place. Great sushi place down the street.

This Hostel is perfect including the place, facilities and the staff... I was so happy because the owner Mr Cho is very friendly and he helped me a lot even before I came there. He gave me excellent tips about fairbanks, things to see and to do there. Furthermore I saw the Aurora, more then two times, from the backyard. I recommend strongly this Hostel. It is worth each penny.

It is an excellent place to stay while looking for the northern lights!

i loved this hostel, it almost felt as though i lived there, it seemed to attract nice chilled out people.was in a great location, town was withing walking distance easily.

Thank you very much ! Your hostel is very nice !!

We had great days there with getting helpful information about local, and for sightseeing. The hostel is clean and well facilitated kitchen is there. Staff helped our planning and also someone staying the hostel, good atmosphere.

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Japan

This is a very nice and homely hostel. I was looking for somewhere quiet, where I could switch off and that was the perfect place. Cho is very kind and helpful! Downtown is within 10-15 min walking distance. The library is only 5min away. Ask Cho about Arctic Circle and Hot Spring tours!

Great hostel. Cho was very helpful with everything I needed at the hostel. Everything was very clean. The house is a bit small, but it makes it easy to get know everyone staying there. Fairbanks is really spread out, but you can walk from the hostel to the downtown area and the visitors center.

This hostel has the potential to being great. However, it gets no cleaning. Rugs filthy. Dust everywhere. Has not been given a cleaning in a long time. During the 20 hours I was there, I only saw the owner leave his room to smokeor to collect money from arrivals. On the positive, he did offer laundry service for $5 a load. He did have a PC for patrons use. Also, when I sent $10, he mailed a shirt I had left. Suggest he offer a free bunk for 4 hours of cleaning.

The owner of the hostel is amazing - super friendly, really takes care of his guests and keeps the place super clean. I can absolutely recommend this hostel to anyone!

Definitely recommend staying here!

When I go to a hostel I expect just hot water and a decent bathroom. Two of the three showers I took there were with cold water. The bathroom was shared between 6 guests and for three days it was never cleaned. The floor was covered with hair, the sink with tooth paste and soap, the trash bin (which contained also used toilette paper) was never emptied and you don't want to know about the toilette. Overall the hostel was very dirty (kitchen, common areas, floors) and the guy was never cleaning.

Hands-down, this is the quietest hostel I've ever stayed it. Compliments to Cho for making us feel like a guest in his home and for the clean and respectful travelers who stay there. It's 5 miles from the airport, so if that's how you arrive, it's 2 bus trips (limited schedule, no Sundays) or a $20 cab ride with tip. A great location in between downtown and the amenities on Airport Way. Wonderful, older neighborhood.

• 3rd Jul 2014