A Venice Fish Reviews

Campo de la Maddalena, Cannaregio 2205, Venice, Italy

Very dirty, the beds had bed bugs, staff was kind of friendly but they didn't give you a map of the city or any recommendations of what to see. The bathroom was always out of toilet paper, no air conditioning which is unbearable with the humidity. Would not stay here again

You get what you pay for. It has a cool vibe but there is little security (no lockers) and the bathrooms are dirty. The location is pretty good. In between the bus/train station and St Marco. Also, I booked an all female room but both nights there was a guy there. But the staff were nice and it's very cheap!

we would not use the directions to the Hostel provided by Hostelworld/A Venice Fish as they were useless and need to be much more specific as it took us four hours to find the hostel! even with satnav. No locals had ever heard of it or campo de la maddelena. the entrance may be a green door but we passed many green doors. I would be concerned about getting out of this buiding in the even to a fire as all the halls, entrances and stairwells are littered with furniture, which are a hazard.

• 17th Jul 2015
  • Couple, 41+

I would strongly advise against staying at this hostel. Firstly, it had bed bugs. If that isn't enough to put you off there were only two showers for at least 30 people, they were rarely cleaned, and constantly got blocked. The hostel had one portable fan and when we were there temperatures were 35+ degrees celcius. There were also no lockers. The only thing it had going for it was the location and we had good people staying at the same time as us.

There are BED BUGS in this hostel! There are also many mosquitoes flying around - windows don't have screens and are open day & night. My boyfriend and I woke up the 1st morning with bites on us but thought they were mosquitoes. The 2nd night we got more & suspected bed bugs. The 3rd night we found 3-4 bed bugs crawling on the walls, 1 on the ceiling (until it dropped and fell!!!!), a carcass and then 3 live ones crawling on our bottom bunk.... please do yourself a favor and RUN FAR AWAY.

Horrible. Staff was very rude and didn't seem to know how to run a hostel. Facility was very dirty, and we had a huge incident with bed bugs, tried to sleep in the living room and there were bed bugs in the couches too. The staff didn't seem too concerned about it and just sprayed the beds and then gave the infested beds to new people. I cancelled my second night and found a hotel with other guests. Don't be fooled by the amazing location, this place is the worst I've ever stayed in.

I ONLY booked this hostel because of the excellent staff reviews, mainly those written about Nick. Most said it wasn't the cleanest, but Nick made up for it by providing everyone with wine & pasta every night. He always took the gang out for drinks after dinner. So I was really looking forward to that. As my luck would have it, he literally quit the morning I arrived. It's also infested WITH BED BUGS. I hope I didn't bring any back home with me. Only good thing about this place was the ppl i met

This hostel is in Venice so will be expensive compared to other places. Even so you would expect mostly clean bathrooms and a room with a door, rather than just a curtain onto he common area. There was also no where to lock up bags, there was an unlocked luggage room but in the bedrooms nothing. One member of staff was very helpful but the others less so. It's in an okay location but that doesn't say much because Venice is small. Also potential bedbugs or lots of Mosquitos to be bitten by.

The hostel was disgusting. All beds in our 6 bed dorm had bed bugs, the sheets were dirty and mine had blood on them. The hostel was infested with Mosquitos. The bathrooms were filthy, no toilet paper, dirty showers and constantly wet floor. Do not stay here.

Only good thing about this place was the picturesque location and delicious 5 euro wine & pasta every night. But everything else was disgusting. We never spent any time at the hostel because it was so gross. The place is INFESTED with bed bugs and the staff doesn't care. There's only two showers and two toilets for the whole place, and they barely work. If you can, stay somewhere else and never set foot inside this hostel.

Picturesque location is the best part of this place. Place was a bit shabby and the hostel was a little disorganised. Could do with some sort of fan in the rooms as it gets extremely stuffy at night, and I struggled to sleep. Definite good and bad aspects to this place.

Bedbugs everywhere! So gross!! When it was mentioned to the staff, absolutely nothing was done about it and a refund was refused. Although there is a really fun vibe here, I would never go back or recommend it because of the horrible bedbug infestation. We found them on several beds in one of the big dorm rooms.

This hostel has the worst management I've ever seen. The staff were around less than half of the time and there was no way of finding or contacting them when they weren't there. There were only two bathrooms for the entire place, which were almost always dirty. There was no way to lock or even close the doors to the rooms and there were just a few lockers that were outside of the room by the bathroom. Its a super chill environment, but its basically like living in a frat house without a cleaner.

Staff were super friendly and the pasta and wine for 5 euros was incredible as well as a great way for everyone to sit and get to know each other. In a beautiful spot! Was worried about bed bugs from previous reviews but had no issues!

BED BUGS, BED BUGS, BED BUGS. Do not stay here! I have stayed in over 60 hostels and this is by far the most filthy and unkept hostel I have ever stayed at in over a year of travels. Take the price hit and stay somewhere else in Venice. We had to leave at 4am because we woke up with bed bugs everywhere and they would not refund us. DONT STAY HERE!

Bed bugs. Towels are not free as stated in the booking page.

The place definetly needs refurbishing, needs repairs, specially he bathrooms.. And a cleaner and more organized place is certainly expected

• 28th Jun 2015
  • Ecuador

BED BUGS! I would never recommend anyone staying at this hostel! The second morning I woke up COVERED in bites. I said something to the receptionist and he brushed it off. My third night I got up and checked my bed and there were bed bugs crawling in my sheets and on the walls of the beds! Also only two bathrooms to which are not very clean. Zero security for your things no locks on any door so anyone can have access to your room. To say I was disappointed in this hostel is a large understatemen

Cons: BED BUGS. I woke up COVERED in bites. Nick was great about it and let me cancel the rest of my reservation with a refund. They also have no lockers, no hand soap in the bathroom, and only me shower for everyone staying at the hostel. Keys to the hostel don't work most of the time. Cleaning lockout from 11 - 3. Pros: Nice location, super friendly staff, pasta dinner with wine for only €5 every night, comfy beds and a great atmosphere that really helps meet people.

A great hostel with a good atmosphere. They do dinner and wine for 5 euros and the 2 workers, Jerome and Nick are a lot of fun, they'll take you out at night. Perfect location and views of the canal. However they do currently have a bed bug problem. I didn't get bit my whole stay but on the last day I found one crawling through my luggage when I was packing. They did however refund me for one night so I could pay for all my laundry to be done! If it weren't for bed bugs this would been perfect!

• 24th Jun 2015