A&O Berlin Hauptbahnhof Reviews

Lehrter Straße 12-15, Berlin, Germany

Clean hostell, big rooms. But they charge 3 euros for linens/sheets and 2,5 euros to pay by card and expensive breakfast. Too many school classes and too many old people. Not a good place to meet other travellers if you're going by yourself.

This hostel is really huge but I recommend to stay in this hostel when you just transit for waiting your flight or train or whatever it is. It is close to main train station which is pretty good but it is a big pity that kitchen room is hard to find or maybe even do not EXIST in this hostel because I tried to find it but the explanation from the staff there was very confusing me and I ended up at looking the kitchen for nothing just to have my meal and make some tea is not possible to find it.

It is a okay hostel, very clean and spacy rooms. But I don't like all the extra charges that are usually free in other hostels - you have to pay 3 euros for linens/sheets, 2,5 euro just to pay with a card (remember to bring cash!) and the breakfast is way too expensive. Their kitchen hidden of in 5. floor is a small room with bad air and without a toaster. And it is not a stricktly youth hostel - they allow any age - so lots of older people and young school classes there..

Great location and price!

• 27th Sep 2014

The staff was a little unengaged, could have been a bit more friendly. Otherwise everything was fine.

• 26th Sep 2014
  • Sweden

The bedroom was good, but that was too much noise at night. That's a teen hostel.... I think its a little expensive. Its possible to find something better. I had a private room.

(+)Good location, cleanness and enough space, big room for 8beds. (-) breakfast not included, no kitchen ( i found it , we couldn't use it), had to pay for bed shit, unfriendly staffs

It's fine for what it is. Nothing immediately stands out as amazing. Its a cheap bed near a train station. WiFi was free and worked perfectly in room. Toilet and shower in room were separate which was nice not having to wait really. Bit of a younger party minded crowd so be warned.

Location was probably the best part about this stay. 10 minutes walk to Hauptbahnhof. We had to get trains/trams to places like Berlin Zoo, Reichstag etc. Staff were very rude, no urgency at all. Staff told us we had to wait 10 minutes past check in time which wasn't fair in a reception area with no air con and 33 degrees outside, after a 6 hr journey. Was a big hotel with 'hostel' dorm rooms so would expect better customer service. Wouldn't stay again. Put a downer on our stay in Berlin.

This hotel is constantly hosting school groups so there are always young kids running around. I am a female and chose a mixed dorm, but there was only men in my dorm with me for the majority of the stay - that's not "mixed." Also, my wallet was stolen in Berlin and the hotel wouldn't let me use their phone to call my bank to cancel my cards. Poor customer service and not a solo traveler- friendly atmosphere.

Only stayed one night, reception staff were not overly warming & the location was far out from most of the things to do in Berlin

Good location best to hire bikes and get the most out of the city! Seems a bit like a huge hotel rather tha a hostel. Not a lot of character but met some nice people

• 21st Jul 2014

The hostel is simple but good, was clean and the bed was comfortable. Good bathroom. Was a bit hard to sleep because was really warm inside the room, even with the windows opened. The atmosphere of the hostel is strange, not bad or good, I think I didn't feel anyhting.. If you are traveling alone and want to meet people, I would't recommend. There is only wi-fi at the main hall, if you want it at the room, you need to pay extra.

On arrival the receptionist who clearly hated his job was rude, patronising and arrogant. You have to pay extra for bed linen and towels and the hostel has no air condition which meant at times the rooms where to unbearable to even be in never mind sleep in. There is no self service kitchen so you can't cook your own meals which isn't ideal. The overall atmosphere is poor as te common area is also the reception area.

A very big hostel. Clean but the atmosphere is poor. Close to hauptbahnhof, wich is great when interrailing!

Lacked atmosphere, more organised events would create a better environment.

Location relative to historic attractions was great. Especially since I stayed during the world cup. The hostel is in a sweet neighborhood very close to the train station which is nice. Very easy to find with billboards illustrating the way. The atmosphere was very bland though...definitely felt like more of a budget hotel which was fine for my purposes, but it isn't the type of hostel where you go to meet people. Beige tiles, white walls, generic '70s lobby furniture and few decorations.

• 13th Jul 2014

This place was an Hostel and Hotel in one, besides that this place is HUGE. Unfortunatly that killed the typical Hostel athmosphere for us. The location of the Hostel is great near the Hauptbahnhof. From there you can get everywhere by public transport. The Hostel was also very clean and tidy.

It's cheap but i wouldn't say it's ideal for backpackers that want to meet new people. It's a huge hostel but not that cosy. There are many older people and kids. There isn't really anywhere to hangout and the bar closes quite early. Also you're not allowed to be in the outside-area after 10 pm. But then again, the rooms are nice and it's cheap in a city like Berlin.

It took over 40 minutes to be served at the check in desk. It is far from the station, the name of the hostel is misleading. The common area is very univiting. It felt like band camp with lots of teenagers there.