A&O Hamburg City Reviews

Spaldingstrasse 160, Hamburg, Germany

Hostel's have come a long way since I first stayed in hostels 35 years ago. we were traveling with our teenage boys and the facilities were every bit as good as hotel. Very good value. Thanks!

• 18th Jul 2015

The room does not come with sheets. You have to pay extra; I did not know about this and was disappointed that they charge for something that is always included. Many young children and old people, not the Hostel atmosphere that one is looking for. When I arrived to check in there were only 5 or 6 people in front of me but I waited more than 30 minutes to get to the counter. On the positive side: the room was clean and spacious.

• 18th Jul 2015

The hostel was fine. The location was kind of far from a train stop but there was a bus stop pretty close. The easy start breakfast for 3€ was great though. A little expensive and you have to pay for sheets but overall it was a nice clean place to stay

The room, bathroom and wc was very clean and the beds comfy. The reception staff can only be described as surly and unhelpful - any question about the town etc. were met with I don't know. The bar was OK but the worst part was the noise! All the doors banging, screaming and shouting until late and then starts again early. Don't go there if you want to sleep!

Very big hostel. Businesslike. Good breakfast.

• 14th Jul 2015
  • Scotland

Stay at Generator instead! Reception was always understaffed and the lady who checked us in was very rude. It's basically a hotel so there is no atmosphere & lots of school groups/kids. It's too expensive for where it is (they even charge extra for bed linen). Our room was hardly cleaned (bin emptied but no bed linen changed when people checked out). I wouldn't stay here again.

Nice Pina Colada

The hostel was very loud at times. Particularly our neighbors in the room next to us. Kinda spoiled the romance a little bit. However that being said, i can't blame the hostel for their guests actions, and the staff were very polite and helpful.

Huge hostel with clean beds and bathrooms/showers. Location is pretty good; a bit far from city center, but the U-bahn station is less than 5 minutes away. Staff seemed annoyed at having to help people. Hint to the staff: don't work at a hostel if you don't want to talk to people! I would probably check out a smaller Hostel next time I visit Hamburg...

Nice big, bright room.

A big hostel with lots of rooms. Living a mixed 4 person room, room is nice and clean. Extra money charged for the sheets, no kitchen, expensive breakfast. My room is in 1st floor, next to the road, you can hear all the cars going, kind of noisy. The curtain can't block all the light, so didn't get a good sleep.

• 13th Jun 2015
  • Denmark

I had a very pleasant stay. Most exceptional was the staff, who were very friendly and made me feel welcome.

• 12th Jun 2015

Towels and sheets should be included in price.

I've never felt less welcome at a hostel. When I went to check out the two girls at reception gave me the dirtiest looks for wishing them a nice day.The cleaners should be the ones manning the reception, they at least smiled and said hello. The location was ok, a bit of a run down neibourhood but fairly close to public transport. Just don't expect the reception staff to help you with anything. Go to a different hostel if you want to enjoy the city. Ok for a stopover.

This hostel is huge! Not at all what I personally think of as a hostel. As a consequence the atmosphere is quite manic. You can get food at the bar area but half the stuff on their menu they didn't have. The actual rooms were clean and nice but all the staff were quite grumpy. It was walking distance from the centre, they advertised parking but when we got there told us they were full and we needed to book. There was plenty of pay & display parking over the road though.

First and last time in this hostel. Very noisy and too big!

• 6th May 2015

Poor location, poor atmosphere, unapproachable staff, had to pay for bedsheets which isn't a requirement in any other hostel I've ever stayed in, in our "hostel" room there was a double bed in the middle of the room occupied by a couple so it was an uncomfortable situation for all involved.

• 2nd May 2015
  • Scotland

It was a bit difficult to find from the ZOB on the first night, but still within walking distance. The staff were very nice and switched my dorm for me when the one I was supposed to stay in turned out to be very messy and crowded, and I got a quieter room and a good night's sleep.

Good, no complains :)

Surprisingly spacious double room in a surprisingly central location.