A&O Hamburg City Reviews

Spaldingstrasse 160, Hamburg, Germany

A great hostel with great staff. Can definitly recommend!

the hostel is almost very far away from Hamburg downtown, eventhoug there's a U-bahn station near (berlinertor), but it's not a good neighborhood, is located on a poor area, juts 10 minutes walk from Bus and Train station, but in the oppisite way to the downtown. the atmosphere is not the best, rude people, unfriendly, and the rooms aren't very cleaned, also if you want blanckets you have to pay for it, if you wanna pay with VISA they will charge and extra 2€, that's not nice!!!

The rooms were very nice - clean and quite. The hostel also provided towels, soap and a hairdryer, a considerable plus. However when I arrived I had to leave my luggage in the luggage room (since the room was not ready yet) and it gave me the impression that it was not a very safe place wher to leave my stuff. There were lockers available but they were rather expensive - I would have preferen another solution. Finally, there were lockers in the room but they runned out of padlocks.

• 9th Jan 2016

The receptionist at 4 30 in the morning was possibly the rudest most horrible person I've ever met,having people like her work at a hostel will ruin the reputation very quick, aside from that the hostel was okay, pretty good for the price if you just want a bed and shower. But the atmosphere was pretty bad didn't feel very friendly or welcoming. In future I would happily pay an extra couple of euros and stay at the generator.

• 8th Jan 2016

Just a perfect stay

The hostel was quite clean and the shower and bathroom were much better than most. A lot of space in the common area/lobby was nice. Wifi was a bit spotty and the personal computer available for guest use (3 euro per hour) was hardly functional. Location was very convenient to the underground station and the central historic areas but the streets were quite silent, especially at night. The hostel definitely has an industrial feel to it.

Great place that doss as expected for cheap accommodation close to the centre of town!

• 31st Dec 2015

It was definitely a hotel, not a hostel...

Ok location. Good facilities & friendly helpful staff.

As I expected, the hostel was big and had many rooms. Nevertheless, it still has a bar with pool table/table football and a roof top bar (unfortunately only open in the weekends), so the atmosphere was nicer then expected + there were many people staying in this hostel. Rooms and bathroom were clean, staff friendy and good location (15min walk from center) and tram stop about 5min walk and one of the cheapest hostels - very good value for money.

Staff very polite; large room (even for a 6 person shared room); very quiet place; the lobby and the bar were nice with cheap snacks; good wifi; near the central station. Negative points: paying for the bed sheets; a little expensive.

• 26th Dec 2015

The staff there are very rude and then I was given a room with a crazy woman who decided to just hurl insults at us very early in the morning for no particular reason. Had to wake up early to get out of there as fast as I could. My friends and I were really dissapointed since we were given other rooms and not the ones we originally booked. However, the facilities there are well kept but very poor atmosphere!

• 25th Dec 2015
  • Kenya

It turned out a bit confusing at first as we couldn't figure out which beds were ours, all of them were messed up by the previous guests and had to ask at reception. Also there was an Asian worker (no offense), before the desk, who seemed actually unable to help or grasp what was going on over there; perhaps she was new. Apart from that, the hostel is conveniently located, the environment is cheerful and everything is clean and confy. We'd stay again.

Could you please send me night shift girls staff photos,one of them i like the most and want to say Hi.

• 23rd Nov 2015
  • Pakistan

I did not like A & O Hamburg for a few reasons. I would much rather pay one price and have all my linens, etc included. I think it should be expected by now that we have that available. I also did not find the location to be all that close to anything notable. The surrounding area was not what I expected. There were also people in the lobby that did not stay there and it seemed sketchy overall. The decor is also very outdated and definitely needs some touches.

The following items should be for free or includes into the booking price and not paid separately: - High speed internet conection in each room. - Bed linen

Linen should be included in the hostel cost. On arrival, we were asekd to cough up anoth 3.5 Euros per person for the linen. When asked, the staff curtly replied - "you should've carried your own linen! Now that you haven't carried it and we won't allow you to sleep on the beds without linen, you will have to pay for using ours". I would'Ve glady booked another hostel, had I known about this hidden charge

• 13th Nov 2015
  • India

A&O Hamburg City is a huge hostel nearby the center of Hamburg. The rooms are clean, the staff is helpful and they have a rooftop bar! My family and I had a nice stay here.

• 7th Nov 2015
  • Denmark

I just stayed for one night when transferring to another bus the day after, but seemed like a nice enough place but lacked atmosphere, probably since it's so big.

The receptionists were not very helpful.