A&O Hamburg City Reviews

Spaldingstrasse 160, Hamburg, Germany

Its a bit annoying to have to pay for bed linen, as travellers don't really carry them around with them, also to have to put a deposit down for the kitchen key felt unnecessary. No real atmosphere and the staff can be a bit slow, but its a decent enough place to sleep.

It's not the most central hostel in hamburg... But the train system makes it pretty easy to get around... Good wifi in rooms, and 24 hr bar which is nice.... Not that many places to eat in immediate area though... Would probably stay again

"€3 deposit to rent bed linen" from site actually a €3.50 charge... if you don't get it back after you can't call it a deposit! & had to make my own bed at 11pm after prebooking, & they re-charged the deposit I had already paid through this site. Not impressed :/ otherwise hostel is perfectly fine, bit bland and corporate like a hotel but clean and spacious.

• 14th Jan 2015

The staff was a bit slow on check in and to serve drinks and food at the bar. There was advertisement of the roof top bar that was suppose to be open on Fridays and Saturdays nights, but it was closed in the Saturday that I was there, and there was no sign explaining why.

Nice hostel to meet people, good places to talk and spend some time. It is kind far from downtown, but the metrostation is near. One bad thing is the security, anyone can enter in the hostel and get in front of the rooms' doors.

I had booked a 6-bed-dorm and was put in a 4-bed-room which was clearly laid out for families (with one double bed and a bunk bed). It was okay though as there was only another girl and me. The room was great anyway, even though the windows did more for noise reductions than the door did (wasn't too funny having three drunk Brits doing track and field in the hallway at around 3a.m.). Ensuite facilities were great. Location was perfect and staff was very nice and helpful. I would stay here again!

They charge extra fees for the bed sheet, the bottle watter sells at 2.7 euro per 500ml, it is really unreasonabe. In my room, the window is broken, when I go to then ask for whether they can fixed, they firstly ask me how long I will stay there, after I replied one night, they just told me, they cannot help. What is more, if you want to use the kitchen, you need to deposit 10 euro. It is the worst hostel I've never lived before.

This is a really nice place. Good atmosphere and really helpfulness staff.

Was nice but staff can be more helpful, and during check in i have to pay additional 3 euros for bed linen? that is very unusual, when you travel and stay in a hostel of course you don't bring your bed linen around, it is supposed to be provided. I feel like its a trap for additional cash. other than this its really nice, atmosphere was good.

• 28th Dec 2014
  • Indonesia

One subway (S-Bahn) stop from central station, in a somewhat empty commercial area. Quiet, the same street has about 4 other hostels, so it's apparently the place to be :) Clean, well-organised, wireless was flaky, checking in took 30 minutes (long line), but overall, good experience. On my list of default choices.

The hostel was almost by a walking distance from the city center - I still recommend using the tram if you will go back and forth many times. I slept in a 8 people mixed dorm, that was not full for either of the days we stayed there. It was just bad luck that there was a man snoring, and a guy packing in a rush in the middle of the night. Kitchen was ok and everything was really clean! Price was also good but you had to pay extra for the bed linen.

Great hostel! Had little extra features like hand soap and shower gel that was really nice. Very clean and plenty of room. stayed in 4 person dorm. Only negative thing was the wait when checking in, took about 25-30mins but that may have just been unlucky.

was absolutely crowded at a friday evening/ night and the following saturday. But staff and cleanliness was very good

This was probably the worst hostel I ever stayed at. So much about the place was crap that it is too much to list. I would never stay here again.

Excellent hostel, easy access and warm comfy rooms

Very pleasantly surprised. Contrary to some peoples expectations, this is not a funky backpacker hostel and also not a hotel. It is a quiet family/youth hostel. We stayed in a double private ensuite and while it was basic it was clean and a good size. When you compare the cost to a double room in other hotels (and some well known hostels) in Hamburg it is excellent value. It isn't in the "centre" but is located close to a U/S Bahn station that serves 6 lines. Breakfast was basic but cheap.

Very good Hostel, i bought a night in a 8-bed room and they put me in a 4-bed room with private bathroom. The location is good, very close to the SBahn station. There were a lot of people to do the check in and there is a club just in front of the hostel which was a little bit noisy

One criticism: they need to do a better job of directing customers to their room. This hostel is 8 stories high and huge and I sometimes took the wrong turn. I didn't take advantage of their bars, breakfast, etc. Great location if you want to explore downtown. If you want St. Paulie, the metro will get you there conveniently enough. They charge you a €3 fee for linens. Came during a "university meeting", so they atmosphere may be a lot livlier than usual. In the dorm, basic fare.

Very nice hostel! I was shocked at how big it was, but very efficent. Only a few things, I didnt know about the 3 euros for sheets if you dont have any.. and also, they are in need of like 5 more receptionist with how many people they have. At one point the line for reception was down the hallway.

You have to inform/suggest that in the price the linen bed are not includd.

• 15th Nov 2014