A&O Hamburg City Reviews

Spaldingstrasse 160, Hamburg, Germany

The staff was great and helped me in my dire circumstance. Other than that, the hallway was trashed in the morning and very unclean in the hallways. It was ok for the money but they need to be cleaner.

Very long time at check-in. The guy at reception was unfriendly and careless, charging more money than I ordered. Noisy outside in the early morning. Only acceptable is the bathroom and restroom.

Great localisation, 5 minutes walk from the U-Bahn Station, 1 stop from Berlin Hbf. We were a little bit disheartned with the long queue at the reception, and after that also a little bit confused, because we were placed in a 6 bed room although we have booked a 8 bed room. Better for us but we should have been informed when checking in. The room and the facilities are very spacious and tidy. Hamburg is great, we will definitely come again. Thumb up for accepting dogs!

It's a very big hostel, for the younger crowd. I didn't like the location (Altona and Ottensen in the western part of Hamburg are much nicer), and, in such a big place, security is so-so since anyone can just walk in unnoticed. Otherwise, it's very clean and affordable.

Great atmosphere. We were 40 years older than many of the guests. They were boisterous but not a nuisance. The hotel and hostel staff worked very hard to keep this atmosphere positive. Very enjoyable.

• 1st Jul 2014
  • Wales
  • Mixed Group, 41+

Clean and pleasant place to stay. Most of the concerns I read about in previous reviews had been dealt with, e.g. there is now free wi-fi throughout the building. It's about 1km from an area with lots of restaurants and bars, which waseasily walkable for me. There is free parking on streets nearby. My car was fine, though there will be the usual risks of parking in any city. Staff were helpful.

Disappointing stay. Took about 45 mins to get through the queue to check in. Rooms are boring and has a hospital feel. Wouldn't recommend to travellers/backpackers

sorry no redeeming features to recommend to individual travellers. Reminded me of hotels I stayed at in soviet russia. In need of a major refurb to bring it into the 21c.

First time i booked in a A&O and i was pleasantly surprised. Clean, safe, room not crowded, TV in room (i didn't watch, but some might like it), not far from S and U-Bahn. Maybe more enployees and more counters for check ins... there always was a queue, so asking one question took 20 minutes. Would go again.

This is a good hostel, but make sure you have everything you need, otherwise you'll have to pay extra costs for everything (and they really check if you bring your own bedlinen). Staff aren't that helpful at all. I had a simple problem that was sorted out in less than 5 mins, but this happened only the day after because they said I had to wait. Internet only in the lounge area. Location out of the city centre.

Overall very nice hostel for group travelers. The room is very clean and well-equipped. The bed is super comfortable. I had the best sleep here in my europe trip. The location is fine, about 1km from the main train station. You can also walk to shops and restaurant in the mall area.

Hostel is good but they gave extra money for sheets. They didn't say anythings about it before so i really don't like this point.

• 12th Jun 2014
  • Turkey

Extra costs, which where not mentioned inthe description, parking is not for free.

• 29th May 2014
  • Slovakia

In general the personal was really good,but a Guy called Andre was really mean and I was having problems with the Internet and told me he wasnt going to help since I was only one more guest

Its a bit out of the way from everything that's happening in hamburg, but is an institution in itself. Love the rooftop bar.

Your staff was VERY unfriendly when asking basic questions. Addtionally the check-in took so long eventhough that evening were 6-8 staff members working but only ONE was at the reception.

Do u know what is deposit? A deposit is sth u CAN GET BACK. They CHARGED 3euros for linens after the high price! FALSE CLIAM! This overpriced hostel just look like a bowling court when i went in. I was given a 8-dorm but there is no clean bed when i come in. A bed is supposed to be free but they didnt clean it. The staff even asked me to remove the dirty sheet myself and use the bed without cleaning. Or they simply never clean the bed? They didnt have wifi in rooms despite the price.

The staff was totally overtaxed and in the end I had to pay more money than stated in my booking confirmation and noone could tell me why. Additionally in the discription it said there is enough parking space - which is true - but it is not in front of the hostel or you have to pay extra.

• 22nd Apr 2014

stand in a long line to check in. i think i waited for 40 minutes or more.

Not a hostel. Feels more like a hotel with dormitory beds. No kitchen and the bar was expensive. The housekeeping removed my sheets on my second day and I had to get a new one.