A&O Hamburg City Reviews

Spaldingstrasse 160, Hamburg, Germany

It may be big, but it was comfortable. I may be rating higher than I need to, but at the same time we weren't unimpressed either. It's a trek from the train station and across from a skate park, so location isn't great. To those who complained about checking in, yes it was a bit long but it can be long at hotels, too.

the worst hostel in my life

Got into my room, bed wasn't clean. Room looked like it hadn't been cleaned in days. Empty beer bottles were scattered everywhere - they were never removed during my stay. Reception staff I found to be rude and abrupt more than once. At times the wait for people to check in looked like it would be hours. Breakfast was ok, but expensive. Positive was the location, close to Berliner Tor, one stop from the HBF and making it easy to get anywhere.

Its a Hostel for School classes, bathrooms are awesome and all receptionists are nice. Would stay again if it wasnt that loud because of the Classes

• 29th Sep 2014
  • Switzerland

A pleasant stay. Good location and very clean. The hostel was absolutely huge, which did mean it lacked the usual hostel atmosphere. However, if you'll be spending more time out exploring then in your room, this was a good place to stay.

DON'T accept the offer of the room number 134. I have stayed in the A&O Hamburg City for 2 nights. When I entered the room 134 at about 10 pm on 16th September 2014. I heard loud noise from ceiling, i.e. upper room. Being like a old or disabled man using stick to hit the floor. The noise was being heard about every 1 minute. I complained the case to the female staff at the reception. She told she would inform security for checking but nothing was improved.

it was a wonderful experience to be in A&O hostels...its really a hugeee facility & is quite well managed in my point of view. For check in, it took me around 5mins but check out was totally easy (just by putting the room key in a box). Staff is friendly & cooperative. There r a lot of activities which can be done... internet works fine. Location is good... strongly recommended ! :)

A friend recommended A&O to me...good location, excellent stuff, value for money...perfect!

• 29th Aug 2014

having stayed one night and settled in bed for the second night around 11.30 and a long day ahead of me the next day another two guests arrived in the room obviously just checked in ,, think it is unfair to check in people so late at night . I was disturbed and so was my room mate.

No hostel culture here, caters more to families and school groups. If you are a solo traveller, I wouldn't stay here. No kitchen or cooking facility, either. There are better places to stay in Hamburg, and I would choose something else before staying here again.

A guy from another room could enter in our room with his card (from the another room!!..) 30 minutes waiting in a line to do the check in.. the girl from the reception staff was rude with the customers..!!

Nice clean hostel. Beds were a bit squeegy, but I had earplugs so it was ok. Beds were confortable. Keycard to the door was a plus, also the lockers in the rooms. There could have been maybe two toilets in the room but other than that it was ok. Metro and s-Bahn stations were close so it was good location. Staff could have been friendlier.

The room was bright & clean! WIFI signal OK in all the building. We had some visitors in our room who were using somebody else's keys but apart from that the hostel looked safe. The staff was helpfull but not always empathic.

I would hardly call this a hostel, as it's a hotel-like building, and the rooms are clearly just hotel rooms with a few more beds. Nevertheless, we had a pleasent stay. The beds were really comfy, and the en-suite shower and toilet a really pleasant surprise. Would recommend if you don't expect to get a real hostel experience!

This hostel was nice and a good deal, although it is huge, which leads to a less typical hostel-like atmosphere. There was also a VERY long line to check in when I got there, so keep in mind that that is possible around 3:30. The staff was very friendly though. The location is close to the S-bahn stop to get around the city, and also not a far walk from the main station (I walked). The rooms and bathrooms are very clean, and there are nice lockers in the rooms.

Friendly staff, good services. Clean, large rooms. Location is a little far from everything but it is within walking distance. Lots of nice people, many activities and overall great atmosphere.

A and O hostels are so large, so if you are travelling alone, avoid them, as i felt faceless. Clean, comforatble rooms, but the back panel of the lockers wasnt actually attached so not very secure at all. Probably just an isolated issue but needs resolved. Staff were very impatient, not surprising as it is so busy and the place was full of kids on school trips running roit. Bar was expensive. Bring your own beer and sit on the roof terrace.

I've waited for 1 and a half hour to check in! Absurd! I've been traveling for years but never have I waited this long! The hostel should be ashamed of itself for allowing these lines! Hire more staff or get a better system going.

Too long of a line to check in. More of a hotel than a hostel really, but otherwise ok

The hostel was nice with a great atmosphere with good wifi although not on the rooftop. We got told off for playing music up there which seems odd considering it has a bar next to it and is a great place to drink and socialise. You have to pay extra for everything so the price adds up.. Some staff were very helpful and others were quite rude. There were long waiting lines at the bar downstairs; seemed under staffed for a weekend.

• 2nd Aug 2014