A&O Köln Neumarkt Reviews

Mauritiuswall 64-66, Cologne, Germany

Need a Better atmosphere

Really nice hostel with a clean and cosy environment. The facilities were proper and the structure offered since the arrival was really good! Thus, it is close to downtown and all sort of shops. I do recommend it.

• 22nd Dec 2014

Unfriendly staffes,

Nice staff. Helped us to find nice places where to go in the evening (restaurants,bars). The location is really good, not so touristic but nearby local bars for students. Everything is reached by foot.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Finland

You had to pay for sheets and a towel. The kitchen downstairs is for groups only. Honestly this should just be considered a cheap hotel with bunk beds. It was a pretty boring hostel to stay in. The beds were uncomfortable and I was kept up all night by a giant group of visiting school kids that ran up and down everywhere. There's absolutely no atmosphere or feel in the rooms. It's a long walk to the city center but there is a decent street with shops nearby.

My room smelt, but they moved me to another room, which was nicer. So good service there. Breakfast was alright. Neglected to tell me happy hours at the bar was 7-8pm. More like a Hotel feeling. Loads of children on school camp. Location was a bit out of the centre, but wasn't too bad if you are happy to walk. I may stay again, or perhaps try another hostel next time. I may recommend a friend here, so it wasn't too bad

An awesome budget hotel to stay at while discovering Cologne!

• 9th Dec 2014
  • South Africa

We were there for 2 night, and they overbooked our room twice. Two times at like 3am we came back to a dude sleeping in one of our beds, which as you can imagine is a huge pain when you're drunk and tired. Only one shower in the 6 bedroom spot, and it's a pretty tiny space. Sat at the bar for a half hour at one point, then just left because nobody would come take our orders.

Really enjoyed my stay here. Too bad I didn't get a reply on my email (i wanted to reserve a parking spot) and when I arrived there weren't any parking spots left, so I couldn't park close to the hostel. Otherwise it would have been perfect.

Generally, the A&O Hostels are very good and this one in Cologne wasn't different. I stayed for 4 days and really enjoyed the room (although I dind't have time to spend it in the common area). It's located very near the Dom, so you can go by walk. I also went to the National Socialism Museum by walking. The toilet is great and is cleaned everyday. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the kitchen didn't have an oven! All in all, is an excellent value for money. Really.

It is pretty far from the city center, I was afraid to come there alone. Price = normal price+LINEN, it's stupid, of course I don't bring sleeping bag or my own linen in the hostel, so, I have to pay (may be its my problem, i didn't read carefully information about facilities). Wifi is very poor, couldn't even check whatsapp. And the final accord is that i was biten by bedbugs.

This hostel is great for budget travelers, but less for backpackers looking for special atmosphere or meet fellow travelers. My main issue was that the WiFi in the rooms (3&2 floor) didn't work. I had to go to the bar downstairs, it was very noisy as there are tvs and table games ect. I think having a second location, or even keeping the breakfast room open, would be a good idea. Where other guests can find some quietness. Also - no lockers in room. you had to bring your own lock.

• 26th Oct 2014

Very clean and tidy, friendly staff. A little bit of a walk out of town though. Not for people who like meeting lots of people - this doesn't have the small cosy feel some other hostels have. Would recommend otherwise.

Really nice hostel, located centrally, Staff were so friendly and helpful good for a laugh, hostel was clean with big spacious rooms and a nice HOT SHOWER and clean bathrooms. Need to get more carparks we had a car and couldn't park it anywhere, or offer when you book to reserve a car park in advance, because after travelling 14 hours not great to then have to drive around and around a city to find a park.

The reception(female staff) is quite cold to me and show impatience by her body language.

The kitchen to cook your own food was disgusting, it smelt really bad and there was fruit flies and flies all over the place. Not a place to cook and eat food, will not be staying there again...............

No complaints, was an enjoyable stay and has not issues at all with the hostel except the room got very warm at nighttime (4 bed shared dorm) as the window could not be opened properly due to health and safety. So, other than a few sweaty mornings it was a great place to stay on a budget.

• 3rd Sep 2014
  • Northern Ireland

I forget that these hostels don't have free Wifi everywhere. Of course, there is a common area where the wifi is free, but they make you pay for it everywhere else. It's also a little annoying (but, it seems, very common in Germany) to have to pay extra for linen.

The room was good, but bed light were unavailable. About the kitchen, it was not very clean, et there was very few dishes and tool...

Very clean, staff were friendly, but not a very social hostel. Still I slept well, and very much enjoyed the city :)