A&O Köln Neumarkt Reviews

Mauritiuswall 64-66, Cologne, Germany

Good location, near to the shopping area, very helpful staff, good value for price.

• 15th Jan 2015
  • Latvia

it was not that well notices that you needed to take your own sleepingbag or pay for sheets! The staff wasn't that helpfull in giving some information or map, .... . Clean nice room, well located though

The hostel was very clean and well located but I felt nickel-and-dimed at every corner as they make you pay for sheets, 7 euros just to breakfast, if you want better internet, etc. check-out after 10 am is additionally charged as well. I feel like I could have stayed at a nicer hostel that included breakfast and sheets and had the price come out to be cheaper than what they would have charged for everything. However, the facilities were nice and the rooms were very clean so on that, excellent.

Very clean and safe hostel. Kitchen seems to close early and I didn't see any hostel members food stored. It seems that customers cooking food is not allowed. Maybe management will respond to this!? Reception has a bar area and this is the main social area. Overall, clean, safe, good location...but lacking cooking facilities and characterl.

Wè stayed at the hotel part, let me state first. It was a pleasant stay, rooms are spacious enough and clean. At first, it may seen a bit far from the center but the location is easy to reach. At hotel, they don't give you disposable slippers, so bring your own. Housekeeping is slow and could be faster, but the ladies are helpful. Overall experience is highly positive, when we consider the reasonable price that we've paid for.

I‘m really satisfied about this hotel. comfortable and clean and it's not very far from downtown.

• 24th Dec 2014
  • China

Iam traveling alone from California and I booked 3 nights. I changed my mind and emailed them to cancel because I could not call and they never replied to my email so now I have to pay for 3 nights in which I did not stay in all because they never replied to my email. I have never had this happen to me. I have changed/canceled a couple of times since I've been here and it has not been a problem they have emailed me back within hours so i don't know what is going on here.

Need a Better atmosphere

Really nice hostel with a clean and cosy environment. The facilities were proper and the structure offered since the arrival was really good! Thus, it is close to downtown and all sort of shops. I do recommend it.

• 22nd Dec 2014

Unfriendly staffes,

Nice staff. Helped us to find nice places where to go in the evening (restaurants,bars). The location is really good, not so touristic but nearby local bars for students. Everything is reached by foot.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Finland

You had to pay for sheets and a towel. The kitchen downstairs is for groups only. Honestly this should just be considered a cheap hotel with bunk beds. It was a pretty boring hostel to stay in. The beds were uncomfortable and I was kept up all night by a giant group of visiting school kids that ran up and down everywhere. There's absolutely no atmosphere or feel in the rooms. It's a long walk to the city center but there is a decent street with shops nearby.

My room smelt, but they moved me to another room, which was nicer. So good service there. Breakfast was alright. Neglected to tell me happy hours at the bar was 7-8pm. More like a Hotel feeling. Loads of children on school camp. Location was a bit out of the centre, but wasn't too bad if you are happy to walk. I may stay again, or perhaps try another hostel next time. I may recommend a friend here, so it wasn't too bad

An awesome budget hotel to stay at while discovering Cologne!

• 9th Dec 2014
  • South Africa

We were there for 2 night, and they overbooked our room twice. Two times at like 3am we came back to a dude sleeping in one of our beds, which as you can imagine is a huge pain when you're drunk and tired. Only one shower in the 6 bedroom spot, and it's a pretty tiny space. Sat at the bar for a half hour at one point, then just left because nobody would come take our orders.

Really enjoyed my stay here. Too bad I didn't get a reply on my email (i wanted to reserve a parking spot) and when I arrived there weren't any parking spots left, so I couldn't park close to the hostel. Otherwise it would have been perfect.

Generally, the A&O Hostels are very good and this one in Cologne wasn't different. I stayed for 4 days and really enjoyed the room (although I dind't have time to spend it in the common area). It's located very near the Dom, so you can go by walk. I also went to the National Socialism Museum by walking. The toilet is great and is cleaned everyday. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that the kitchen didn't have an oven! All in all, is an excellent value for money. Really.

It is pretty far from the city center, I was afraid to come there alone. Price = normal price+LINEN, it's stupid, of course I don't bring sleeping bag or my own linen in the hostel, so, I have to pay (may be its my problem, i didn't read carefully information about facilities). Wifi is very poor, couldn't even check whatsapp. And the final accord is that i was biten by bedbugs.

This hostel is great for budget travelers, but less for backpackers looking for special atmosphere or meet fellow travelers. My main issue was that the WiFi in the rooms (3&2 floor) didn't work. I had to go to the bar downstairs, it was very noisy as there are tvs and table games ect. I think having a second location, or even keeping the breakfast room open, would be a good idea. Where other guests can find some quietness. Also - no lockers in room. you had to bring your own lock.

• 26th Oct 2014

Very clean and tidy, friendly staff. A little bit of a walk out of town though. Not for people who like meeting lots of people - this doesn't have the small cosy feel some other hostels have. Would recommend otherwise.