AAE Bourbon House Hostel Reviews

1660 Annunciation Street, Amtrack GreyHound Location, New Orleans, Louisiana, USA

The staff made our stay at this hostel, Shane's where to go list was spot on, Megan was our friendly and fun southerner and then there was Ryan!!!! Affectionly known as 'teach' this man was next level, just give him a beer!! When it comes to this hostel - "This is so us!!"

This place was perfect. It is walking distance to the trolley and driving distance to a Wal-Mart. Our room and the bathrooms seemed pretty clean. The staff was outstanding. Our room was really stuffy since they had the heater on and one of the staff members asked us if it was too hot and I told him yes (not thinking anything of it...not that big of a deal to us) and he refunded us $20 and said "lunch is on us!" so awesome and thoughtful. My boyfriend I will definitely stay there again.

• 17th Jan 2014

I LOVED my stay at Bourbon House. Its right down the street from the Street Car that takes you right to the Quarter. The staff could not have been more generous. A big thank you to Shane and Ryan for all the help! Eat the pancakes in the morning and party on the back patio. Cool people

• 16th Jan 2014

I really liked the hostel. The stuff was extraordinary nice, the free shuttel to greyhound/amtrak is very convenient and the free pancakes in the morning where also nice. The only thing that really annoyed me was the walls are very thin and the common room in the middle of the hostel. When we stayed there there was a large group staying in the hostel how were very loud in the common room so that falling asleep was hard. The problem is that the staff leaves at midnight- so the kids went crazy.

good time

• 11th Jan 2014
  • China

The hostel was nice. I stayed at a single room located near the patio. But, I could not sleep well because many guests kept on talking loudly even in midnight in the patio. I didn't want to disturb them because they seemed to enjoy their conversation and beers, but it was a bit annoying.

• 7th Jan 2014
  • Japan

The best thing about this branch of AAE are the staff and the other travellers. If one makes an effort to socialise then AAE will reward the individual with a great time. Hostel staff such as Shane, Ryan and Maya were brilliant. They worked tirelessly to enhance the positive experience that I had. There is a local Walmart that comes in handy for home cooking and Magazine street is only ten minutes away for clothes shopping or cafe, restaurant or boutique hunting.

This was a charming hostel, convenient location, easy to streetcar or walk there (I did) from the Amtrak station, good eats, drinks, and coffee close by. I felt safe leaving my stuff out on my bed when I was out exploring. Tip: use the comforter the hostel provides underneath you instead of on top of you while you sleep, and it'll make it seem less like you're sleeping on a bed stuff with paperclips :)

• 3rd Jan 2014

We stayed in the dorm room and it was just the three of us in a four person dorm. We were really happy to hang out there and the staff were extremely friendly!

Very friendly staff!

I really loved this hostel. The staff were very friendly and extremely helpful with lots of tips for things to do and places to go out. Hostel had a very social atmosphere and it was very easy to met people. Beds and bathrooms were kept clean. Would definitely recommend staying here.

good atmosphere, a bit off location

It was a great experience, the big rooms are best, the people are nice. If one wants to travel chip, alone and not miss the best thing about the city, the hostel is the way to go

• 4th Dec 2013

I made a mistake in my reservation, but the staff were incredibly helpful and went out of their way to make sure I had a bed while I was in town. Thanks!

• 2nd Dec 2013

It was fine. Just the heater in our room (mixed 8 room) was too warm.

• 27th Nov 2013
  • Taiwan

The staff were lovely more than happy to help. The hostel itself was run down, the bathrooms quite dirty (had to clean hair out of the clogging drain!!), no activities planned, quite a walk into the French quarter/town, free breakfast average, heating terrible was on 24/7 causing rooms to be like saunas, lack of toilets and no where to watch tv (which they never had on or gave out a remote)

Very friendly, helpful, caring staff - thank you Shane, Ian and Mia. Outside seating area, cozy common room and cook-your-own pancake breakfast adds to the already good atmosphere. Well equipped kitchen with Walmart close for supplies helps if you are on a budget. I stayed an enjoyable, comfortable 4 nights in the ladies dorm. A short walk to the streetcar/bus network takes you anywhere around town for $3 a day. I will definitely stay at AAE Bourbon House next time I visit New Orleans.

• 18th Nov 2013

Good place to stay! Staff very kind, offered us to call a cab from his own cell phone at 3 am for us to catch our plane!

• 13th Nov 2013
  • Mexico

This place is nothing compared to the hostels I've stayed in outside of the States. The place was fine but looked like it was falling apart a bit. We didn't see a lot of interaction between other travelers either.

AAE is about 1 mile walk to wherever you need to go. Inside the hostel was excellent, people were nice staff were friendly and dressed to New Orleans culture. I would definatly stay here again!