AAE Bourbon House Hostel Reviews

1660 Annunciation Street, Amtrack GreyHound Location, New Orleans, USA

The bathrooms are filthy!!! If you run the water in the sink to brush your teeth the water empties into shower! Gross!!! I have stayed in five different hostels and this is the worst hostel I have been in the location is in a ghetto and very dangerous to walk around. When I was there I witnessed one fight with a police officer and a guy on the street and also a guy arguing with a guy staying at the hostel in front of the place. STAY AWAY!!!

the staff is nice and casual, but too casual referring to the sanitary situation in the house

The staff was very kind and helpful upon arrival. The only thing I would ask is for them to enforce the "quite in the common room after 1am" rule that is clearly posted in each room. The bathrooms and showers could also be cleaned a bit more frequently, but they weren't terrible. Overall I would recommend Bourbon House to anyone looking to stay in NOLA on a budget.

• 4th Oct 2013

Very helpfull staff, free shuttle, hot showers, could be bit cleaner though. But no complains, social atmosphere, although no staff present during the night meant no suorvision over loud and late groups returning from bars early in the morning. Oh and free coffee and pancakes for breakfast, cant beat that!

nice location, very clean, cheap price. perfect.

Great location Very good room with comfortable bed The staff went out of their way to make our stay very enjoyable The pan cakes in the morning were an added bonus. I would not hesitate to recommend it to friends as a low cost value for money place to stay

• 1st Oct 2013
  • New Zealand

I booked this hostel because they offered a shuttle service and I never got to use it once. The place was cheap and it was certainly value for money. I was told walking to and from the Greyhound station was safe, but I just could not do it. I had the cab ride from hell instead. He mucked around with the GPS trying to get a better fare and in the end I threatened to report him. Going back to the terminal, I got up at dawn and caught the bus to Canal Street and then the Trolley to Greyhound.

Pretty nice hostel. One gripe, I booked much earlier than my friend, and had to pay more money for a worse room with no wifi. Probably should book best rooms first, other than that all was good.

A nice place, worn around the edges, the bed was quite uncomfortable and there wasn't much space inside to sit, buuuut the staff were really nice, very helpful and friendly and worth the stay for them! Pancakes were a nice breakfast. There's a bit of a walk to the tram but not too long. With exception of the bed a nice place.

Loved our stay, wish it would have been longer!

• 20th Sep 2013

The best staff of any hostel I've ever stayed in without a doubt! Super friendly And extremely helpful had an amazing time in New Orleans due in a big part to this hostel! Would recommend this place to anyone!

An average Hostel with rather poor facilities. They do not take cards for payment and there is a charge for the Cash Machine located in the Hostel. The toilets and showers are quite grubby. The 'included breakfast' consisted of a mix to make pancakes and coffee (sometimes) there was one washing machine and one dryer shared between the guests and hostel. I think more signs and notices about facilities would help. The staff, especially the guy who was there most of the day were good.

Great staff, comfy beds, nice outdoor area. Location was good, bit of a walk to to the tram but direct to the center of town.

Staff is very good. Management is very cheap about upkeep. Do not replace lights till all fail. Porch light permanently failed. One shower faucett lose. Etc. Kitchen very good. Free pickup and drop off at Amtrek and Greyhound very good and unusual in USA. Management needs to spend the time and money to repair and fix up the place or they will get a poor rating in the future from people used to hostels where things work and are kept up. Could be one of the best in New Orleans if did upkeep.

Good hostel - the location is only a short bus/taxi ride away from the main tourist attractions and the rooms are reasonably comfortable. The free breakfast of pancakes is a good bonus. The only annoyance was that our room faced on to the outdoor area which got quite loud on our last night (until like 3am) with people drinking outside. Other than that, we really enjoyed our stay.

Shane and James were the best staff that I had travelling the world! The hostel had a great atmosphere and I met tons of travelers to explore New Orleans with. This hostel is very close to all places to see in the city. I was able to book really good day trips and I couldn't be happier with the stay here.

A little scruffy, but makes up for it in character, don't worry it is clean. Really close (10 minute walk) to the St Charles streetcar, which runs 24/7 by the way, and despite the lack of street lights it's a safe neighborhood. Free wifi and cook-yourself pancake breakfast makes this place perfect to base your trip to New Orleans :) Staff super helpful!!!

• 6th Sep 2013

I would give this hostel all good marks except for the lack of air conditioned eating space. Otherwise, let me take a moment to say just how really wonderful the staff are. Shane is the understated mastermind of the operation, his every utterance and recommendation a jewel to be caught and treasured. His evenhanded treatment of the most inebriated or befuddled guest a true study in hospitality. Ryan is a total sweetheart. He knows his stuff and really cares. Hope, in housekeeping, ROCKS.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, gave me a tour of the hostel, helped me book my tours, etc. I love the patio, and that the rooms have a good AC. Only downside: Neighbourhood is a little sktechy, didn't feel to comfortable walking around at night. But right around the corner there is the garden district, which is beautiful and good residential neighbourhood!

all the Staff are great! i had a great time here