AAE Portland Downtown Reviews

415 SW Montgomery Street, Oregon, Portland, USA

I was told that only people under 30 could stay at the hostel by a very rude employee. According to what he said, this fact was mentioned on the hostel's website but obviously I missed it totally. He also told me that he didn't know anything about my deposit and in a non very friendly way told me to get out.

Very nice hostel.

• 26th Nov 2014
  • China

This hostel was pretty cool. True, it's not your usual hostel, but it worked just fine for me. There's not really a central common area, but there are chairs, a couch, a tv with a dvd player, a kitchen (with free tea, coffee, and oh yeah, Waffles), and there's a nice little deck outside plus the usual bunk beds, lockers, bathroom, etc. The staff was helpful, they had a laundry room, and the location was convenient to everything in downtown. Best of all, I have some great memories from Portland.

• 14th Oct 2014

This hostel was really weird. The owners turned one room of a hotel into a hostel. They clearly didn't understand what a hostel was supposed to be like. There was no sense of community and no one even talked to each other. It's downtown, so the location was decent, but everything else was pretty bad. If you just want a bed to sleep in, I guess this will do, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a typical hostel experience.

Upside: Great location. Steps away from many train and bus lines of Portland's excellent public transit and right in downtown. Downside: Isn't really a hostel. It's a 1 bdrm aprt in a hotel with 10 cramped beds. The bedroom alone had 6 beds in it. I had to climb over someone to get in and out of my top bunk. The bunks themselves are not sturdy, squeaking incessantly from just normal breathing. It was clean enough, but the bthrm looks like it has some H20damage/mold issues. Was told being fixed.

It's very dumpy, but good location. Right next to PSU in SOuth Downtown area, next to 3 different MAX(metro) lines. No breakfast from what I could tell. And my bed was visibly broken. Looking at it from across the room you could see it was broken,

The person at the check-in desk was rude upon my arrival because I accidentally showed up too early. The person is definitely in the wrong job field and does not have the right personality for a hospitality job. However, other staff members were kind and helpful. Overall, the stay was okay.

• 19th Aug 2014