AAE Portland Downtown Reviews

415 SW Montgomery Street, Oregon, Portland, USA

This hostel was really weird. The owners turned one room of a hotel into a hostel. They clearly didn't understand what a hostel was supposed to be like. There was no sense of community and no one even talked to each other. It's downtown, so the location was decent, but everything else was pretty bad. If you just want a bed to sleep in, I guess this will do, but I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for a typical hostel experience.

Upside: Great location. Steps away from many train and bus lines of Portland's excellent public transit and right in downtown. Downside: Isn't really a hostel. It's a 1 bdrm aprt in a hotel with 10 cramped beds. The bedroom alone had 6 beds in it. I had to climb over someone to get in and out of my top bunk. The bunks themselves are not sturdy, squeaking incessantly from just normal breathing. It was clean enough, but the bthrm looks like it has some H20damage/mold issues. Was told being fixed.

It's very dumpy, but good location. Right next to PSU in SOuth Downtown area, next to 3 different MAX(metro) lines. No breakfast from what I could tell. And my bed was visibly broken. Looking at it from across the room you could see it was broken,

The person at the check-in desk was rude upon my arrival because I accidentally showed up too early. The person is definitely in the wrong job field and does not have the right personality for a hospitality job. However, other staff members were kind and helpful. Overall, the stay was okay.

• 19th Aug 2014

All good.

Good location and easy to get to but not easy to find - One small sign at the front. no breakfast although kitchen facilities. Clean and tidy with line and towels included. No hostel atmosphere at all, more like a motel with bunk beds. Would stay here again although single travellers may not enjoy the stay due to the lack of atmosphere or common room. Staff were very friendly and helpful.

No breakfast, no baggage storage, have to check out before 10:00 a.m.

• 29th Jun 2014
  • China

The map and accompanying tips I got from the front desk were very helpful and contributed significantly to a good first impression. Apart from that, the location of the hostel/hotel (less than half of a block from trolley stations, and within walking distance of Safeway, the Portland Art Museum and numerous food trucks) made this a very good choice in my case.

Decent room but amenities non-existent. No friendly reception by staff (but for one briefly), no internet or comfortable seating area, no coffee/beverage availability, no coffee/tea in room, no continental breakfast and no general feeling of hospitality. This accommodation is unfriendly, not amenable, and even called me twice during the hours before check-out to remind me I must be gone. Beware of the term "hostel"--it is a motel and the name is different from here, called "Downtown Value Inn".

• 7th Jun 2014
  • Scotland

Front desk was surly and didn't take the deposit off my room. My invoice said I would be charged 83 but instead I was charged 97 at the door. So I ended up paying 110$ for an terrible hotel. I had already booked a room and everything was booked so I was forced to stay. Honestly I will never book with AAE again ever. I will tell friends and family to also never book with AAE and hostelworld.com in the future.

• 30th May 2014