AAE Portland Downtown Reviews

415 SW Montgomery Street, Oregon, Portland, USA

The smell of urine was overwhelming upon checking into the lobby. I checked out immediately.

• 13th Nov 2015

Very friendly and helpful staff. Some maps for the front desk would be a good idea. Shower takes forever to warm up which is not ideal. This is not a ready to go 'viby' accommodation, more like good cheap budget accommodation. More budget hotel than hostel. Bunks squeak horribly.

Nice clean hostel, with a friendly atmosphere. Convinient location to see all Portland has to offer, and situated next door to an incredibly friendly pub, with all the local beers on tap.

• 16th Oct 2015

The location is good right in downtown a lot of places are walking distance. Although the hostel doesn't really feel like a hostel because the atmosphere. Also there is only one restroom it's hard to use the restroom when someone is there. But if you just need a place to sleep then this place is fine. Luckily I rented a car so I wasn't there much just to shower and go to bed.

It's not really a "hostel", just a room for eight beds.

Just an hotel room with bunk beds. my bed was a pull out one which didn't compare to a normal bed but still paid the full price.

Horrible they didn't let me stay because they said the dorm is not available for people over 30 but they didn't tell at their homepage

The hostel was overbooked and refused us service. The staff were NOT helpful in finding alternate accommodations. Also note, THEY DO NOT ALLOW GUESTS OVER 30 IN THE DORMS!

Conveniently located by the University of Portland and near the city center but ONLY FOR UNDER 30s!!! Didn't get passed the lobby and didn't get my deposit back when I was turned away but least I wasn't charged the rest since they cancelled me. Age discrimination! Why? I've stayed at dozens of hostels all over the world and people of all ages have mixed well together. Thankfully I had a friend in Portland who offered to put me up as it's an expensive place to stay.

We liked the neighborhood and closeness to public transport, and the Farmers Market. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and there was NO EVIDENCE OF BED BUGS.

• 21st Aug 2015

Comfortable stay in a great, central downtown location.

There isn't a common area to hang around and meet people. The hostel is located in a central area. The staff is very helpful and nice. The toilet is clean

Everyone knows that this hostel is poor but I had no other choices since there aren't many hostels in Portland.

I would recommend you not live here

Great location in Downtown near PSU, close to Pioneer Place and the farmer's markets. Only problem is no AC so windows have to be left open in the heat, and the bar next door stays open until late so it's very noisy at night.

One bathroom for 8 people is too little. Give earplugs for outside noise and extremely squeaky bed (bunk 30 A and B). The kitchen was nice and well kept.

• 7th Jun 2015