AAE S.F. European Hostel Reviews

761 Minna Street, San Francisco, USA

Shower and restrooms were not cleaned on a daily basis. Need new towels, sheets and blakets. Need to clean underneath the beds. Overall, friendly staff, great location, great value. Andy has excellent customer service.

• 25th Jan 2016

The hostel was dirty! The room too! The receptionist charge you even if you ask to print a paper 1 dollar each. The hostel is sourrounded by homeless. A lot of old people leave in it. Breakfast is not included and bathrooms are always busy and dirty!

Insecure location, old rooms and not enough bathrooms for all the poeple staying in the hostel.

Not enough facilities and the shower don't work properly, place in geberal is small and old. wifi is bot powerfull enough for the number of people in the hostel. only good point the location.

• 15th Dec 2015

The restrooms were full all time and not clean

• 4th Dec 2015
  • Saudi Arabia

This place is is a rough neighborhood, expect to see crackheads. Helpful reception!

The worst hostel I've seen so far. I stayed in many hostels in Latin America and I never saw such a bad hostel. There was trash under the bed like cups, cigarettes and smashed paper, and it stayed there for all 5 nights. The furniture is very old. There was a white armchair in the room that was literally black. The neighborhood is the worst part. It's home for homeless people and drug addicts and it's dangerous. I went to a convenience store very near and a gun-armed robbery was taking place.

This hostel is in a very dodgy area, I felt so uncomfortable walking to the shop.

the showers were really dirty and the rooms way too small. the beds were pretty bad and two toilets for 10 rooms is definetely not enough! its is cheap compared to other places in SF but still not worth 35 dollars a night

Good place to stay! And cheap! I have nothing to complain! And for those idiots which said that the area is sketchy - you didn't live in Flatbush in NYC!! When you make a booking - open you eyes and check the map! And this is not a hotel! You want a hotel for 30 dollars?? Are you serious?? Once again - I had a lovely time here!

Thank you for your kind words and true description of your experience! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you come back and stay with us again!

I was luckily only stopping for one night before an early bus but it was so disgusting. It was pretty cheap but smelled. Staff weren't helpful and were pretty annoying. They seemed to be annoyed that I wanted to leave early to catch a bus and that I still expected my deposit back! Wouldn't recommend this hostel to anyone it's gross.

Filthy. There were used bandaids in the windowsill, food and garbage all over the floor. One pile of garbage had plane ticket stubs from the middle of September, so it's at least been 3 weeks since there was any cleaning going on. The cleaning lady just ran the vacuum through the room 4 or 5 times and left. The bathrooms had no hand soap - they just refilled the empty containers with water. That's unsanitary as bacteria will grow in that water.

• 2nd Oct 2015

First off just because you found ticket stubs from September doesn't mean that garbage hasn't been thrown out since 3 weeks. Maybe the person who threw it out was done with their journey and threw it out 3 weeks after their trip. Please do not assume our garbage has been sitting there for 3 weeks, it is thrown out 3X a day! The cleaning lady cleans everything and vacuums. Our soap dispensers are filled with antibacterial soap and we also provide hand sanitizer in the office should you need some.

We had a terrible experience with some of the clientele at European Hostel, at one point, we were actually worried for our safety as one of the girls in our dorm (who had brought up a kitchen knife) wouldn't let us sleep. To make matters worse, the staff at the reception did not do much to help the situation. The hostel is also in a bad area.

• 27th Sep 2015

I am terribly sorry for your experience. I am appalled that our staff would neglect such a situation. I will be looking into this as the safety of our guests is our number one priority. Again, I apologize for the incident. Our hostel is located in the SOMA district which is not at all unsafe, it is a safe neighborhood. We are centrally located a few blocks from city center, moscone center, union square, downtown, 1 block from BART and all major transportation!

It wasn't very clean, and is understaffed. The staff that are there are really nice though.

I'm sorry that we did not meet your standards. I'm confused you would think we are understaffed because we have plenty of people working and cleaning day and night. Although I am happy to hear that the staff members were very nice. Since this is a hostel sometimes things can get untidy faster than we can get to it, however, we are always cleaning up. Hopefully you will choose to stay with us again.

Hope you can have 1 or 2 computers for us to use

• 16th Sep 2015
  • China

The location is pretty good, it's near to the city center, on the other hand the street of the hostel seems to be dangerous.

The hostel is pretty good compare to its price. The street is a little bit scary where the hostel is but at least it's near to the city centre.

Thank you for choosing The European Hostel and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay. The homeless population can be intimidating when you first see them but they are harmless and they are everywhere in the city and you just can not avoid them. I'm glad you liked our location being right by the city center, moscone center, Bart, downtown and just 2 blocks from all major transportation to take you around the city.

When I go to hostels I am always scared about being attacked by bedbugs! Here, the mattresses were raped in plastic! Awesome! Maybe not enough toilet/ showers for the floor. I would stay here again!

• 31st Aug 2015

Thank you for staying with us and I'm glad to hear you enjoyed your stay. We try our best to to meet everyone's standards while keeping our rates low so everyone can enjoy our beautiful city. We wish we could have more bathrooms but unfortunately, being an old building, we just don't have the space for it. That is one of the reasons why we keep our rates the lowest in San Francisco. Please come back and visit us again!

Unfortunately I really did not enjoy this hostel at all. It was really smelly, dirty, and there were fleas in the room! The kitchen was really gross and there was rotting food in the fridge. The neighborhood was horrible and felt very unsafe. I've stayed in a lot of places before and this is one of the worst.

• 30th Aug 2015

I'm sorry that we did not meet your standards. We try our best to clean the kitchen and rooms, however, when you are sharing a room you will have dirty room mates. We have signs posted to keep your belongings tidy and if it is brought to our attention we will let the guest know. We can not throw anyone's food away from the fridge until they check out, all food have labels on them. Our area is very safe, the President of the United States stays 5 blocks from where we are situated!

Not bad except public bathroom

• 24th Aug 2015
  • South Korea

Thank you for staying with us and I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We are working very hard to keep our bathrooms clean but sometimes its hard to do as there are many people using it and they do not leave it clean for the person next in line. We understand this and assure you that we have 3 people at all times inspecting the bathrooms to keep them tidy.

View all San Francisco Hostels