AAE S.F. European Hostel Reviews

761 Minna Street, San Francisco, USA

The hostel was ok for one night. The athmosphere was a Little sad. The area where the hostel is located is not save. A lot of strange People around.

The staff were not friendly, dead pan, in fact. The area is DODGY! Drug addicts and drunks hanging in the street, not safe to walk back at night.

The linens, specifically the fitted sheet, did not fit the bed. The room had one window so it was uncomfortably hot. My first night, there was someone sleeping on the couch in the kitchen. It creeped me out and then he yelled at me for having the light on while I was eating... There were too many people and too few bathrooms. Besides, there was absolutely no water pressure from the tiny stream and the floor was always wet. It was conveniently located by civic center station, but that's it.

Andy and the other staff were super nice, very helpful, very accommodating. Great hostel, I would definitely visit again!

• 7th Aug 2015
  • All Male Group, 41+

The carpet in the stairs and rooms was totally disgusting, the kitchen and common area was in the limits of "clean" (the person that cleans was rude, impolite and very loud), bathrooms were dirty and very deficient, broken showers that almost caused a shortcut, old doors. I know that SF is a expensive city but its not about the price- the place was very dirty. Go here only if you are looking for the cheapest place

• 30th Jul 2015
  • Mexico

Dirty, not welcoming staff and there is not a living room. The only place where you can stay and have the chance to meet the other guests is the kitchen that closes at 11! Internet works really bad in the rooms.

• 27th Jul 2015

Good things about this hostel are that it is located quite central and that it is cheap. BUt I would definitely pay more to get a better hostel. Minna street feels very very unsafe, especially at night. Sheets were worn out, had holes and hairs on it, mine even a blood stain. The bunk bed was so shaky that I was worried it could break in everytime I move. Bathrooms are rare (two on each floor, and one shower) for around 40 ppl on each floor and very dirty!!

• 27th Jul 2015

The manager was not competent. My card was scanned THREE times (because the first two times had INCORRECT amounts; my card was charged FOR MORE than what my confirmation stated). When I left in the morning, the manager was late in opening the front desk. I had to knock on the door loudly to wake the manager (so that I could leave my key and get my deposit). If the hours state 7 AM, then that is the time it should open.

• 26th Jul 2015

The hostel was very dirty and didn't seemed to be cleaned very often. The bed was not prepared for my dormmate and was still with dirty sheets and covers upon her arrival. Only two restrooms to a hallway with several dorms.

• 25th Jul 2015
  • Denmark

The atmosphere was Not great, the hostel wasn't very social and it was somewhat depressing, I guess it's probably because no one wanted to stay for long. Very cheap hostel but being located in a very dodgy part of town, I felt so unsafe just stepping out the door. The hostel smelt stuffy and stagnant due to the fact you couldn't open the windows. I think I got bitten by some bugs (possibly bedbugs) when I was there. The staff was helpful though, which is a shame that the place is just so bad!

The 6 bed door room was really really small. We weren't able to put our bags on the floor so we put them with us, in our beds. The restroom was old and need to be well maintened. However, the location is really good (next to the city center) but the explanation isn't enough and need more details.

I found bedbugs crawling on my bed, and the roommates showed up at 3 am turning on the light and moving things around drunk. When I asked to be replaced in another room, the receptionist completely ignored the fact that I was staying in all female dorms and put me in the mixed dorm. Plus, after an argument I was only refunded half, while they should have refunded me full amount. Very bad and dirty place. I DO NOT recommend. Not in a safe area either.

• 12th Jun 2015

Absolutely terrible. Minimal facilities, always filthy if working at all. Shower broken, sink blocked, carpet smells. Bin always overflowing. Website says men over 30 not allowed in mixed norms however this not the case. Felt very uncomfortable and unsafe on my last night. Complained to staff about this but they do not care at all. Homeless people sleeping on sidewalk at front door. Would not walk out of here in the dark as in in a dodgy area (not made clear on website before booking).

• 27th May 2015

Terrible location, rat in the room and had my food stolen out of my room

Location is really central and a big plus. The room was tiny, smelly and not clean at all. Same with the bathrooms. It also was quite loud because of the thin walls. Can't recommend it.

• 22nd May 2015

I would NOT recommend this hostel to anyone. If there were a way to describe the cleanliness as less than ‚very poor’ I definitely would. I did not feel safe coming to the hostel even by day, it is not in a good neighborhood. It smelled really bad inside, in the room, and there are way to little facilities like restrooms and showers. I would not send my worst enemy here.

• 20th May 2015

Very nice place to meet people. Nice kitchen as well

No breakfast, dirty, depressing and claustrophobic.

The place smelled funny, it was dirty and the beds made noises when ever some one turned around. The location is horrible , the people there wasn't to nice. And a lot of homeless people. We where scared 80 % of the time. The staff was helpful but first sent us to a full dorm room.

• 9th May 2015
  • South Africa

Not a bad hostel to stay at with a friend while travelling but if you are travelling alone \i would suggest a hostel with a better common room/bar. Not really much atmosphere.

• 8th May 2015