AAE S.F. European Hostel Reviews

761 Minna Street, San Francisco, USA

The manager was not competent. My card was scanned THREE times (because the first two times had INCORRECT amounts; my card was charged FOR MORE than what my confirmation stated). When I left in the morning, the manager was late in opening the front desk. I had to knock on the door loudly to wake the manager (so that I could leave my key and get my deposit). If the hours state 7 AM, then that is the time it should open.

• 26th Jul 2015

The hostel was very dirty and didn't seemed to be cleaned very often. The bed was not prepared for my dormmate and was still with dirty sheets and covers upon her arrival. Only two restrooms to a hallway with several dorms.

• 25th Jul 2015
  • Denmark

The atmosphere was Not great, the hostel wasn't very social and it was somewhat depressing, I guess it's probably because no one wanted to stay for long. Very cheap hostel but being located in a very dodgy part of town, I felt so unsafe just stepping out the door. The hostel smelt stuffy and stagnant due to the fact you couldn't open the windows. I think I got bitten by some bugs (possibly bedbugs) when I was there. The staff was helpful though, which is a shame that the place is just so bad!

The 6 bed door room was really really small. We weren't able to put our bags on the floor so we put them with us, in our beds. The restroom was old and need to be well maintened. However, the location is really good (next to the city center) but the explanation isn't enough and need more details.

I found bedbugs crawling on my bed, and the roommates showed up at 3 am turning on the light and moving things around drunk. When I asked to be replaced in another room, the receptionist completely ignored the fact that I was staying in all female dorms and put me in the mixed dorm. Plus, after an argument I was only refunded half, while they should have refunded me full amount. Very bad and dirty place. I DO NOT recommend. Not in a safe area either.

• 12th Jun 2015

Absolutely terrible. Minimal facilities, always filthy if working at all. Shower broken, sink blocked, carpet smells. Bin always overflowing. Website says men over 30 not allowed in mixed norms however this not the case. Felt very uncomfortable and unsafe on my last night. Complained to staff about this but they do not care at all. Homeless people sleeping on sidewalk at front door. Would not walk out of here in the dark as in in a dodgy area (not made clear on website before booking).

• 27th May 2015

Terrible location, rat in the room and had my food stolen out of my room

Location is really central and a big plus. The room was tiny, smelly and not clean at all. Same with the bathrooms. It also was quite loud because of the thin walls. Can't recommend it.

• 22nd May 2015

I would NOT recommend this hostel to anyone. If there were a way to describe the cleanliness as less than ‚very poor’ I definitely would. I did not feel safe coming to the hostel even by day, it is not in a good neighborhood. It smelled really bad inside, in the room, and there are way to little facilities like restrooms and showers. I would not send my worst enemy here.

• 20th May 2015

Very nice place to meet people. Nice kitchen as well

No breakfast, dirty, depressing and claustrophobic.

The place smelled funny, it was dirty and the beds made noises when ever some one turned around. The location is horrible , the people there wasn't to nice. And a lot of homeless people. We where scared 80 % of the time. The staff was helpful but first sent us to a full dorm room.

• 9th May 2015
  • South Africa

Thinking about this hostel makes me sick again. The hostel was located in a very unsafe neighborhood, the place smelled like old fish because of all the dirty carpet, the rooms were very dirty and there was a lot of noise. We had to move out immediately and booked a hotel room beause at that point there were no hostels available anymore for a group of 11 people. Do not go here!

• 8th May 2015
  • Belgium

Good--its the cheapest hostel in San Fran, which is a very expensive city and the location is right off main points of city. Bad--not clean, I was bitten by bedbugs every night, the comforters smelled like they hadnt been washed in years, bathrooms cleaned only once a day and consistently lacking toilet paper.

I've been staying in budget hostels for years. The beds are comfy, the showers are great, the kitchen is big and the wifi is fast. Though what really matters is that you can walk to north beach, chinatown, or even the castro district, or take the underground to oakland or berkeley. I'll stay at least another week!

Its an OK location

AAE was a good place to stay and the price was very good. I have stayed in express hotel as well and to me they are somehow the same with AAE being cheaper and having a kitchen where we can actually meet other interesting people. I believe the cleanliness is quiet ok. Some comments are bad but I believe people exaggerate. If you want a 5 stars hotel, four seasons is what you need, but if you want cheap and fun, go to AAE.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Couldn't afford to stay longer. Place isn't good. Not for luxury or even economy lovers.

• 1st Apr 2015
  • India

The location is bad, the area is full of junkies, there is no place to park a car more than 1 hour. The rooms are dirty, there is no curtain. The showers are broken.

This hostel is surrounded by junkies, the rooms are dirty and there is no curtains. Most of the showers are broken and it smells bad everywhere.

View all San Francisco Hostels