AAE S.F. European Hostel Reviews

761 Minna Street, San Francisco, USA

Terrible location, rat in the room and had my food stolen out of my room

Location is really central and a big plus. The room was tiny, smelly and not clean at all. Same with the bathrooms. It also was quite loud because of the thin walls. Can't recommend it.

• 22nd May 2015

I would NOT recommend this hostel to anyone. If there were a way to describe the cleanliness as less than ‚very poor’ I definitely would. I did not feel safe coming to the hostel even by day, it is not in a good neighborhood. It smelled really bad inside, in the room, and there are way to little facilities like restrooms and showers. I would not send my worst enemy here.

• 20th May 2015

Very nice place to meet people. Nice kitchen as well

• 18th May 2015
  • Taiwan

No breakfast, dirty, depressing and claustrophobic.

The place smelled funny, it was dirty and the beds made noises when ever some one turned around. The location is horrible , the people there wasn't to nice. And a lot of homeless people. We where scared 80 % of the time. The staff was helpful but first sent us to a full dorm room.

• 9th May 2015
  • South Africa

Thinking about this hostel makes me sick again. The hostel was located in a very unsafe neighborhood, the place smelled like old fish because of all the dirty carpet, the rooms were very dirty and there was a lot of noise. We had to move out immediately and booked a hotel room beause at that point there were no hostels available anymore for a group of 11 people. Do not go here!

• 8th May 2015
  • Belgium

Good--its the cheapest hostel in San Fran, which is a very expensive city and the location is right off main points of city. Bad--not clean, I was bitten by bedbugs every night, the comforters smelled like they hadnt been washed in years, bathrooms cleaned only once a day and consistently lacking toilet paper.

I've been staying in budget hostels for years. The beds are comfy, the showers are great, the kitchen is big and the wifi is fast. Though what really matters is that you can walk to north beach, chinatown, or even the castro district, or take the underground to oakland or berkeley. I'll stay at least another week!

Its an OK location

AAE was a good place to stay and the price was very good. I have stayed in express hotel as well and to me they are somehow the same with AAE being cheaper and having a kitchen where we can actually meet other interesting people. I believe the cleanliness is quiet ok. Some comments are bad but I believe people exaggerate. If you want a 5 stars hotel, four seasons is what you need, but if you want cheap and fun, go to AAE.

• 3rd Apr 2015

Couldn't afford to stay longer. Place isn't good. Not for luxury or even economy lovers.

• 1st Apr 2015
  • India

The location is bad, the area is full of junkies, there is no place to park a car more than 1 hour. The rooms are dirty, there is no curtain. The showers are broken.

This hostel is surrounded by junkies, the rooms are dirty and there is no curtains. Most of the showers are broken and it smells bad everywhere.

The room was small, people had there stuff every where we couldn't even get in the door there was cigarette butts on the floor, hair every where, mirror was disgusting, the shower was horrible took about an hour to wash shampoo because the water pressure was so slow. Location was ok, guy at the desk was helpful but we checked out early so I don't really have much opinion on anything else ..

This was the worst hostel I have ever been! Everything was dirty, the restroom was the worst, the room smelled really bad, and the people there were really weird.

I was hopeful this would be a positive experience because the location is quite good. I was sorely disappointed. My car was broken into at 1 am during my stay. That isn't the hostel's fault, but it does speak to the neighborhood it is in. The kid who checked me in was surly and dismissive. I love the hostel experience, and this place had none of it.

Hello Mr. Clark, We hope you received your ID card you left behind. Thank you.

It was okay, not the atmosphere I was expecting and we made bets on whether the crazy homeless lady in our room was going to steal our clothing. She never did, but it was an interesting stay. Cheap, but kinda run down little place.

• 13th Jan 2015

Stayed the weekend here. Expected a lot less. It was a nice stay! Value is great and the location is the best when it comes to the BART and MUNI. Staff was cool. The was absolutely NOT any sense of community. Normally I don't mind hanging out in the commons at night before or after I go out, but there was no interaction from anyone. That disappointed me very much so. One of my favorite things is meeting other travelers and and it just didn't happen this time. Other than that, I had a great stay.

• 9th Jan 2015

Terrible place with rats and bad bugs.

• 26th Dec 2014