AS House (Asakusa Smile) Reviews

2-20-10 Higashi Komagata, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Really easy to meet new friends here :) A lot of mold in our room :/

Toilet smell old urine all the time, Bed banks too old so noisy,every time people move's,they need to change bed banks for a better and strong foundation

The staff was not kind at all. It was dirty all around, we found many cockroachs (bedroom, bathroom and kitchen). The location was good but if you can get another hostel, do it!

• 3rd Sep 2014
  • Argentina

There was not Internet in the building I was staying in. The place isn't so clean compared to what you can find in Japan though it's not dirty either. I booked the hostel on this website but I found that other people in my room were paying less than me. 1700~1800 while I was paying 2100 a night.

The owner is friendly and helpful! The bar at 1st floor s interesting worth to stay !!!

• 27th Aug 2014
  • Vietnam

We stayed in the cheaper of the two buildings of the hostel (5 min walk from each other). The internet was bad, but in the other house (with the reception) it was good. Security good mainly because security in Japan is very high. The hostel is close to three stations and is in walking distance to sensoji (popular attraction) and other sights in asakusa. The welcome was awesome and the staff were nice :)

The hostel was extremely dirty. I saw cockroaches and ants walking in the toilet and kitchen. Moreover, the room looked like it was never cleaned before and several furniture in the bathroom was broken. This is by far the worst hostel I have ever stayed in!

the showers had no lock and opened up right to the corridor, anybody walking by would able to see whoever is changing in there. it was also pretty unclean. the toilets on our floor didn't work. had to put on the sheets, duvet and pillow covers ourselves. you have to change into slippers but it's obvious these slippers never gets cleaned are just all over the place. just felt like the overall management can be improved a lot. the welcome drink and location are the plus sides.

• 15th Aug 2014
  • New Zealand

had great time in japan! hostel is also good!

• 14th Aug 2014
  • South Korea

The hostel is divided basically in two buildings, a main one and another crappy one that gave me the feeling of basically being a house of an old lady who died, sold the place to the hostel whose owner filled it with bunkbeds and started using it as an hostel. The second building is always open, but there is no maintenance, no staff, it's quite dirty and it's a good 500 meters from the main one. I can't say anything about the main building but I appreciated its bar, good chance to meet people

It's a nice hostel but they don't have any dishes or nifes or any other things for you to use. But the kitchen is clean.

• 14th Aug 2014
  • Portugal

Perfectly decent place to stay. I stayed in the annex. It strangely did not lock the doors and there were no staff. It was safe but kind of felt like I was living in an abandoned house in tokyo.

The location is good. Asakusa is a great part of Tokyo. But the hostel itself was on top of a bar, which doesn't really lend itself well to a good stay, since they allow smoking in the bar and that smoke travels up to the rooms. The room was nice enough, but the bunk bed creaked and had precarious cracks. Also, the bathrooms didn't seem like they were cleaned that often. One staff member was helpful - the other, I don't think he really knew what was around. I'd probably skip this one if you can.

Cramped squicky bunkbed in a room to small to even breathe. The "bar", the halls and the rooms smell like stinking sweaty shoes, I know it is a japanese custom to take of your shoes but in this place you really don't want to take them off, it was disgusting. Hairs, dust, wet stuff? on the floors :S. Lots of mold. Toilets didn't work, doors woudn't lock. The whole atmosfere was very depressing, Everything was broken, This hotel must not have had any cleaners or maintainers for at least 20 years.

Good place to stay, great location, helpful staff.

Overall it was oaky. But we did have a cockroach in our room. The place could be kept a bit cleaner.

It is an okay hostel to stay for one or two nights. The aircon in my dorm didn't work properly, it was dark and kind of smelly. No major issues. The welcome drink at the bar is very nice.

Nice place to stay, not the most cleanest place but if you like a drink in the bar where you can talk with other travellers and locals, this is a good place tp stay.

This hostel is cheap, so I suppose you get what you pay for, but it would have been nice if the room was clean, if the toilet room didn't stink, if there was more than one shower for the building and if the staff were more approachable. We tried to spend as little time here as possible. I would not recommend this place!

The hostel is super dirty. We slept with a cockroach in our room. Staff from the reception are not helpful and when there is a problem they don't know how to react. People party and speak loudly at night and nobody tells them anything. The matress is very uncomfortable. The drier doesn't work properly so you pay a lot and it doesn't dry. It's being one of the worst experience in a hostel. I wouldn't recommend this hostel at all.

• 23rd Jul 2014