AS House (Asakusa Smile) Reviews

2-20-10 Higashi Komagata, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan

1913 Total Reviews

Not too bad for how cheap it was. Not all that much to do nearby but an ok place to be based if you don't mind catching a 15 minute train to better locations when you go out. We did not get a locker to put our valuables in, but I think you could pay extra for one. The staff were friendly enough and spoke some English. There is a bar downstairs which adds some atmosphere, but we didn't actually go to it. It wasn't particularly clean but you can't be too picky for the price.

It definitely worth the price compared to the other places in Tokyo but don't expect something amazing. Really really basic. They have a kitchen which is really convenient ! Shower is clean as well. It's useless to talk with the local staff, they will not help you for nothing. It's Japan so it's really safe for everything you can let your bag and go, nothing will happen

I really enjoyed my stay. The staff was helpful and spoke some English although since I speak Japanese this was not a concern but it may be good for tourists. Everyone in my mixed bed dorm was nice and I had a good time during my short stay. I will definitely stay again when I bring my best friend in March. 5 min walk to the station and so close to sensoji temple was appreciated.

• 9th Nov 2015

The staff lady was horrible,kept on talking with us for hours.

• 7th Nov 2015
  • India

One employee was very unhelpful and, to be honest, seemed like he had had no training whatsoever (blonde hair guy from Britain). Other than him, the place was great for how cheap it was. Showers, beds, all the basics. I would certainly stay here again.

• 7th Nov 2015

location is excellent, nice and helpful staff, u get what u pay for, would stay there again

Helpful and fun place to stay. Staff was friendly and kind the bar downstairs was nice. The town is lovely but a bit far from the "action" which also wasn't a huge problem as I wasn't there to party but would have been nice to have some closer options for going out at night. Easy to find great directions were emailed to me so it was a snap. All in all a great stay and very well worth the price.

• 30th Oct 2015

Great staff, very friendly place. The bar is almost always open, even though officially they are done at 24:00.

Beds are like sleeping on a slab of bricks. Sheets have stains. Blankets are manky. Rooms are dusty. Floors are dirty. Cleaning lady doesn't actually clean, just wanders around complaining about the rubbish, tickling the floor with a shitty brush. Showers are disgusting! Huge mound of hair and gack in the corner of one. Shower curtain missing from one. Stacks of boxes & junk everywhere. Bathrooms smell like piss. Kitchen has cockroaches. First three floors stink of cigarettes. Strange woman? o,ó

The place was very badly maintained, fungus on the sealing was causing bad smell, sheets and blankets had stains, for that kind of money you can find way better place. I would recommend to avoid unless you have no other place to stay in Asakusa.

Our stay at AS smile was unfortunately let down due to a strange woman who hung around our building everyday and night. We assumed she was staying there as she made no attempt to welcome us but a few days in she told me she wasn't a guest but instead there to check up on us which made us feel very uncomfortable. She did no work and acted like it was her apartment (maybe it was?) - not a good environment for guests! Everything else about AS was great and would be 100% if it wasn't for creepy lady

By far, the worst hostel I have stayed at in Japan. Very old facility, which isn't a bad thing if it was well kept & clean. The lobby looked like a storage junk yard with boxes & stuff lying around in the corners. People are smoking in the lobby! And you could smell the smoke all the way up to the 2nd and 3rd floors! They have cockroaches! The pillows & mattresses are stained & look nasty! Hairs, crumbs and whatever else are all around on the mattresses! Gross!! Staff is not the friendliest.

Good location, great people, great value for money, decent cleanliness

• 10th Oct 2015
  • Romania

I stayed in a private room of Bekkan (the annex), 5-minute walk from the main building. The room was very small, but the building, bathrooms. and the shower were clean and well maintained. The owner is friendly. This place is not bad for budget travelers.

Horrible hostel. Dirty beds. They dont clean them. Only the sheets. Cockroaches. Unfriendly staff. Smoke filled lobby and air upstairs. Old facility not well kept. Shower doors falling off. Lobby not clean and cluttered with junk.

the stuff is not really friendly and the rooms on the 4th floor were FULL of bed bugs. Hopefully they do something about ti and not keep renting the rooms.

I thought the beds were really bad: they were hard and so creaky that it would wake up people when you climbed it bed or change positions while sleeping. Apart from that everything was fine. The prices are so cheap that I guess I can't complain much about the overall quality.

Pros: Free wifi If on a budget, good price. Cons: No elevator/lift so had to climb stairs with heavy backpack If you have a JR Rail pass, nearest station is 20 minutes away. Subway closer Bedding smelt & wanted a daily change but incurs costs People who checked on after me were given more information & coupons for a free drink

Four walls, one roof, don't expect much more because there isn't. Very few showers for many guests, dirty place with piss on the toilet floor, doors and toilet lids falling appart, there is just not enough equipment for the number of beds. Wifi hardly working. Two separate buildings and only one reception. Cheap and rather well located, that's the only reason to stay there...

I am disappointed with my stay here it is very dark and unkept when you come in. The staff were very unhelpful and not very friendly just handed me a key said which room was mine so I had to hunt around to figure out what was where ect. The rooms are very small not much space for everything the lockers allocated to each didn't lock so valuables were unsafe. Overall not a good stay the only thing ok was that I had a nice people in my room.