AS House (Asakusa Smile) Reviews

2-20-10 Higashi Komagata, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Four walls, one roof, don't expect much more because there isn't. Very few showers for many guests, dirty place with piss on the toilet floor, doors and toilet lids falling appart, there is just not enough equipment for the number of beds. Wifi hardly working. Two separate buildings and only one reception. Cheap and rather well located, that's the only reason to stay there...

I am disappointed with my stay here it is very dark and unkept when you come in. The staff were very unhelpful and not very friendly just handed me a key said which room was mine so I had to hunt around to figure out what was where ect. The rooms are very small not much space for everything the lockers allocated to each didn't lock so valuables were unsafe. Overall not a good stay the only thing ok was that I had a nice people in my room.

The few nights we spent there were no less than horrible. Terrible room (which in the website picture depicted a couple's bed,and when we got there it was a bunk) the mattress was hard as a rock. Room filled with dust and dirt, and to top it off, on the last day of our stay a COCKROACH was in our bedroom floor. Completely disgusting. The whole atmosphere is of a laid off pub, smell of smoke, boxes thrown around, just like piled garbage. It was one of the worst experiences we have ever had.

• 18th Sep 2015

One of the worst places I've stayed. All the beds have bed bugs, One lady from the hostel came into our room angry that people were complaining about the bed bugs and that there was nothing they can do.....as if it was the guest's fault. Whatever about the bugs, the worst thing about this hostel is the staff who were extremely rude and unhelpful. Would not recommend staying here.

You know the world of hostels have up'ed their standards. This place is ok if you want something cheap but don't expect anything. This is bare bones. The best thing was the location and a few sexy bartenders.

Quite reasonable accommodation. The accessible location from a accessible subway station is also excellent. Lots of trains operate after 11pm and can come back here. Asakusa is, needless to say, historically traditional spots and some franchised Izakaya (Japanese style drinking spot) are available 24/7. It's located within 5 mins on foot. Free WiFi and hot shower work well. If you would like to find an inexpensive, accessible and quiet area, I can recommend here to you.

• 13th Sep 2015
  • Japan

I am surprised at the amount of bad reviews this place has. I chose it because it was the cheapest option in Tokyo and expected the worse but was very surprised. It is not spotless but certainly not dirty as most reviews suggest. The showers and kitchen are large and the bar is open late and has a nice mix of backpackers and locals. Good location a 5 minute walk to the subway which can get you anywhere. Don't be put of by bad reviews save your money and stay here.

WATCH OUT! Me and my girlfriend have been robbed during the night. They stole us our money after checking in our luggage and finding our wallet. Apart from this, the place stinks like vomit and cigarette and there is a terrible atmosphere. I REALLY DO NOT RECCOMEND THIS PLACE.

• 6th Sep 2015

If I could afford it I wouldn't stay there. I got bitten on my belly quite badly one of the nights I stayed (probably cz of bedbugs). There were cockroaches running in a toilets, doors for the rooms don't lock properly (you can open them by using ANY key). Mattresses are dirty and kitchen has no teaspoons or just simple bowls to eat smth from them (they have only massive cooking bowls and pots). If you need to use a computer your clothes and hair will stink of cigarettes.

Easy walk from Asakusa station. A good place to stay ifvyou want to explore asakusa and ryogoku

Asakusa Smile is old and rundown, so even though it was mostly clean when I was there it looked dirtier than it actually was. The rooms are also quite small. But I'd stay there again because the location is great and so is the price.

Please clean the bed room and the toilet. Very dirty and smelly in the toilet. The bed room got a lot of duct and insects. The shower room look like never clean for a month.

This hostel has a serious hygienic problem . The showers were dirty and very uncomfortable, dirty bed clothing and in the common area smoking is permitted so it stinks awfully of tabaco. It is well located but it is definitely not value for money.

The hostel is conveniently located near the Asakusa district and can be reached easily via the Asakusa and Ginza Line. The bathrooms were not so well equipped and it was hard to find a space to put ones clothes. Additionally, there was no elevator which can be a problem if you have heavy luggage. Apart from the bar and the kitchen there is no real cozy lounge to hang out and relax.

Rooms ok, bathrooms, showers, hallways, dirty and smelly. Place smelled like smoke due to bar downstairs. Cockroaches in room. Bed bugs.

Nice location, good price

This hostel has so much potential, it is in a great location, just across the bridge is Asakusa, however it is absolutely filthy. I've never stayed anywhere so dirty. The toilet reeked of urine, the shared showering facility had clumps of old hair, dust and dirt, and the kitchen was the most unhygienic area of all. There were problems with cockroaches, fleas and bed bugs. The rooms themselves have also been neglected, the slats of the bed above me had split and were held together with rope.

It is the dirtiest hostel where I've been. I had to clean my room myself when I did the check in because there was a lot of dust and also some food under the bed. The toilets and bathroom wasn't clean. The bed was broken. The bed wasn't a double bed at all. The are conditioned didnt work properly (too cold or too hot) and it was full of dust. The entrance smelled bad. The wifi was bad.... I can not recomend this hostel to anybody and I wouldnt come back

Horrible bathroom,the women shower did NOT have a locker and it was also very dirty,dirty sheets, two plugs in did NOT worked, and the kitchen was not very equipped.For the price that I payed I expected a LOT more of this hostel.Don't pay more than 1800 yen in this hostel

Asakusa Smile had a good central location to the city of Asakusa which is easily connected to places like Akihabara and Shibuya. However Asakusa Smile failed to meet my expectations when it came to security, cleanliness and privacy. The bedroom's air conditioning unit did not work, and the privacy and security of the bedrooms was non existent, we arrived to find past customers belongings still in the wardrobes. The kitchen and bathrooms were not clean, and there were small bugs everywhere.

• 23rd Jul 2015