AS House (Asakusa Smile) Reviews

2-20-10 Higashi Komagata, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan

The staff was very rude and the rooms weren't cleaned in ages. There even was a cockroach in the kitchen. I don't recommend this to anyone unless you are only spending one night.

Some people smoke at door then the atmosphere is very bad in all building. I ordered single room but AS House give me two people dormitory. The bed is very big and it's height is small. So I can't sit in bed. If I sit in bed, my head will hit other bed. The space is very small. Facilities are very old or bad.

• 1st Mar 2014
  • Taiwan

If you have low budget and stay for a short term I recommend asakusa smile hostel is a good option. The location is convenient and quiet. See you next time.

• 26th Feb 2014
  • Thailand

i found cockroaches on my bed...very dirty.and chinese receptionist was really unfriendly...

Good cheap hostel in Asakusa area. But if you stay in the second building, Bekkan, the atmosphere is different, outside of the nice ambience of the main building, and the WiFi is very poor, when it is working.

100En store is nearby. Moreover public bath and cleaning is 100m away. And traditional japanese okonomiyaki restoraunt is in neighbour house 2nd floor. 5 min from subway. Cheap. A bar in lounge. Good location.

• 20th Feb 2014
  • Russia

The girl at the reception is grumpy, rude, not friendly at all. Very disorganized. They should get better staff. Hostel is not really safe, anybody can go up to the rooms. But in japan, everything is safe. Kitchen is basic, dorms are big. Clean showers. Location is great, asakusa area is beautiful and close to subway. great great atmosphere. there is a bar! i had the best time here because i met really cool people. Thanks to my new friendss Alex, Ben, Vicente and all the guys. You made my stay !

Should be cleaner

• 18th Feb 2014

Loved this place. Location was pretty good. Good atmosphere at the bar.

• 15th Feb 2014

Enjoyed the stay at this hostel staff were accommodating and helped us change rooms when the heating wasn't working and were were in the middle of a snow storm. Location was good too. Just too much cigarette smoke around for me!

The location is good and its quite easy to find although the instructions on this website are not very good, I had to research to find better ones. Our room was clean but the bathroom area and shower area was not great, saw 2 cockroaches. The toilet was also very dark even though there was a light in there. They also need more showers. My brother enjoyed the bar downstairs and it was easy to meet and socialize with people.

didn't really like staying here. the mattress was really thin and uncomfortable. also I had to stay on the top bunk with my bf on the bottom As my bed kept falling apart in the middle!!! which was really ridiculous. the room didn't have any bins, which was really annoying too, you had to go downstairs for them! which was annoying as I had a bit of a cold. it's all a bit shabby, everyone smokes downstairs and the entire building is freezing cold, the only good thing about that is you get massive duvet covers

Pretty average stay. Pros are its a spacious hostel with a bar, free welcome drink and hostel is in a cool area close to sites. Cons are poor facilities - shower on 4th floor stank and showers on 2nd floor didn't work, no lift so lugging gear up 4 floors sucks, you make your own beds so lots of people slept without sheets making it unclean for others, and there were cockroaches in the kitchen!!

I was in the 2nd house, the major issue here is that the door does not automatically lock, several times I found the door wide open compromising security. Also I chatted to another traveller who stayed at the hostel for free for 3 days because the door was open and the staff doe not take note as to who should and should not be there. Nothing got stolen but security is compromised. Staff need to be more enthusiastic too.

Not a very good atmosphere, pretty far away from the main city centeral, the kitchen was dirty.

Not a bad hostel, BUT: I was sent to the property a few blocks away where. 1. There is only one shower in the whole building (4 floors of multiple rooms). Be prepared to wait to shower. 2. ZERO atmosphere. 3.. INTERNET is absolutely Horrible. No matter which floor you are and where in the building. Is just horrible. I stayed a total of 5 nights here. Never worked even though everyone complained. One had to walk 3 blocks to the other building to get decent internet. No fun in winter.

WiFi is not working, TV is not Working, we founded every single day during 2 weeks bugs in the kitchen and that was so disgusting... to stay 1/3 days maybe could be average.. but for 2 weeks is very poor... We are very dissapointed with this hostel and never we are coming back.

• 20th Jan 2014
  • Spain

It was a more spacious hostel in Tokyo. You can either chill in the kitchen area or the Bar downstairs. Met some nice people there. Would highly recommend. However, it's a little far from the popular downtown destinations such as Shinjuku, Roppongi and Akihabara. If you want to get there. I would recommend taking the train to Ueno, then hop on the JR Yamanote line to whichever destination :)

• 6th Jan 2014

My son and myself stayed there again as returning guests as we made a reservation in advance. Smell of cigarette wasn't as strong as last time. Room 201 is the room I'd recommend if you aspire for the best wi-fi signal.

Nice cheap place 10 minutes walk from subway station. But if you choose wrong direction, you will get the same name HOTEL (instead of hostel). They will give you a map and tell how to get back. Bar is on the 1st floor, one free drink on check-in. Good place to stay.