AS House (Asakusa Smile) Reviews

2-20-10 Higashi Komagata, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan

It wasn't as clean as someone can desire but the staff was really nice and helpful.

• 15th Nov 2013
  • Spain

good location and nice staff, but they moving us to they new hostel and no staff in that new hostel

The second building should have a bigger name sign! That you could find it better. There is no stuff around the building. No internet. To thin matrasses. You can't lock the room, so everybody can come in the room..

• 9th Nov 2013

My complaints are... The bunk beds are very noisy. I woke up every time when someone goes up/down the bed at night. Also, because I stayed in the 2nd building (5-8 mins walk from the main building), the notification says that I had to check out that night if I want to leave before 9am next day; but when I walked there to check out, the staff said that it's now ok to check out early morning.

Cons: - very basic lock It was a very basic lock on my room door which I didn't feel too safe with. It seems more like a deterrent than an actual safety measure. Maybe something more sturdy. - one shared shower (not private enough for me because the door seemed to be see through-ish.) Pros: - good location (for transport and shops) - free wifi (best thing ever) - excellent staff (speaking English too)

• 8th Nov 2013
  • Scotland

Pros: Cheapest location we could find in Tokyo. Free drink for the first night stay in the lobby bar. Free storage. Cons: Mold in the first room set off my asthma in minutes. Staff was kind enough to switch us into a bigger room at no extra cost. First time I showered it smelled of urine, and there was a cockroach like insect crawling on the floor. Only thing covering you from the next shower is a stained tattered curtain. Oven was near impossible to operate, my food was taken from fridge.

despite the cockroaches crowling on the floor and the wall and the stove, it was a very pleasent stay in the hostel,few minutes away from Asakusa station.

• 5th Nov 2013

Having stayed at bekkan for several days, apart from AS house, its an independent building without reception and bar. So the atmosphere is not as good as AS. But all of my room mates are very nice. We did have a good time! The location is close to skytree and asakusa, just around 10 mins walk, which is so convenient to guests! Only one thing that i am quite dissatisfied with - bathroom. Its a bit dirty and worn out. I dont even have a proper place to put my clothes inside it.

You get what you pay for - the room was unclean, the bedsheets didn't fit the bed, and the building it was in (a few blocks away from reception) was accessible to anyone via a garage. Biggest issue though was the directions the staff gave - we walked for hours trying to find this place and ended up at another hotel called Asakusa Smile in a different part of town. The staff should put up some decent directions on their website - first-time travellers to Tokyo will have problems finding it.

• 4th Nov 2013

Facilities very poor and main building was very far from other building there is no any room number in building and difficult to find for late checkin metro very close good price

Asakusa Smile is a decent hostel with a convenient location in Asakusa, Tokyo. They have a bar/cafe at the ground floor which seemed to be quite lively at night (we didn't join at all because we came back late every night from exploring Tokyo). However, this is the area which I feel looked messy and smelly (due to smoke smell) during the day. The staff who attended to us seemed not so friendly but attentive to our questions/requests. We took the private bunk bed room and it was tight but OK.

Nice place to stay, helpful staff and interesting people that you can meet! If you don't mind to stay a little bit far from the city center and you're looking for a cheap solution, this is a place for you!

A good place to stay if you want to enjoy the quiet side of Tokyo and if you want to meet nice people! I definitely suggest it!

We had a very pleasant stay at your new building. The only negative thing was that guests frequently forgot to lock the front door.

It's ironic to have called this place "Asakusa Smile" when the staff seems to not know how to smile. The place is really average by Tokyo standard, but it is void of any personality... There is far better place in that city for the price.

just wanna give some suggestion maybe you can separate the floor between women and men so that all muslims people will be more comfortable... the facilities is excellent and the staff are good in english so it's easier for the international customer to stay at asakusa smile... and i also suggest the hostel to have a saperate entrance beside the entrance from the bar... thank you..

• 29th Oct 2013
  • Malaysia

Good hostel, nice staff and very nice atmosphere there. We stayed there only for one night because we have booked another hotel but we regretted it and we witched to stay longer. Worth the price, mainly thanks to the location. Internet is the bad point : low debit and hard to connect from the rooms.

very at home and comfortable staff are friendly, had a nice time there

• 18th Oct 2013
  • Japan

AS Smile was a nice hostel with a lovely bar downstairs that was pretty happening the night I stayed. Weekends seems to be the best time to stay there for socializing, though it's a good enough hostel any time of the week. FAcilities are good, dorms clean and value for money excellent. It's right between two metro stations and is fairly easy to find once you leave Asakusa, though you should ring ahead if you don't have a map with you. Staff were knowledgeable about the local area and helpful.

• 18th Oct 2013