AS House (Asakusa Smile) Reviews

2-20-10 Higashi Komagata, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan

We booked 5 nights, we did the first one and we left. The mattress was the worst I've ever slept on. The room was very tiny and we could hear the noise from the entrance of the building (late in the night of course). The toilet smelled really badly and the neighbors seems to enter the building and use it... You have to share the one bathroom: you're in the shower while other people are at the washbasin. There are no bins, soap or anything anywhere. Don't go.

• 3rd May 2014

I stayed in the Asakusa Smile satellite hostel, about two blocks away from the main hostel. Our hostel didn't have reception, but the building felt quite safe. Overall, the hostel had clean facilities (a washroom on every floor, a communal kitchen) but the only downside is that there is only one shower for the entire house. The wifi connection was also weak at times. With that said, the value for money is hard to beat as this is one of the cheapest hostels to stay at in Tokyo.

• 3rd May 2014

Wifi was almost unusable at times.

It was alright, not my favorite place by any means. The blankets were nasty, and they gave us a sheet to kind of cover it but it was gross. It seems like a well-trafficked hostel, so I mean, not the cleanest place ever. The bathrooms were clean, but halfway out of order. The bar scene downstairs is def not my thing, so keep that in mind. It was pretty easy getting around on the subway, though. The station is less than a five minute walk from the hostel.

Good atmosphir...

Staff are wonderfully nice. They occasionally house guests if they offer to work part time, for extended periods of stay. The hostel has several facilities, but staff are usually only at one. It might be wise to provide another staff at the other location.

I stayed in the Bekkan annex so do NOT apply this rating to the main building, ONLY the Bekkan annex (I stayed in a female 4 bed dorm room). The wifi was spotty at best, but I don't stay in hostels to be on the internet - I stay there to go out and do things! Great hostel! I'm going to stay here again!

• 29th Apr 2014

Cheepest Hostel in Tokyo with weekly party in the main building.

The staff was friendly, but nothing special compared to Japanese ryokan for example. Like most hostels it attracted mainly an international crowd, mostly young backpackers, who like to get drunk at night and make a ruckus. Therefore, my friends staying on the first floor, right above the bar, could hardly catch any sleep at night! The facilities, especially the toilets and showers, had a shabby look and were rather dirty. All in all, not surprising for a hostel, but there's better alternatives!

It is the typical "young" hostel, were you can meet people in the common room and have fun. They also have a bar and offer you a free welcome drink.

Could be cleaner and even the smallest of breakfasts would be nice

There were 3 large roaches in the room also smaller ones in the kitchen. In addition it was hard to sleep without any curtains. Lastly there was only two outlets and no extension cords in the room.

Cheap and clean, with great location. Good stuff and facilities. The only thing that wasn't at 100 percent was the wifi in the dorms. Sometimes it was taking me quite a time to get internet on my phone.

• 21st Apr 2014
  • Bulgaria

Location is fine, close to asakusa and ginza subway lines. The place itself is a little different from most hostels, because they had most guests staying in a separate apartment a few blocks away. The rooms here are pretty spacious and clean, plus they have a good kitchen. WiFi in the rooms is rather poor though.

The staff seemed more concerned about money than actually helping the customers. The guy at the front said he didn't have any maps of the area and I clearly saw a stack behind him. He didn't want to give me one and gave poor directions. The rooms were dirty. We saw the maid come in and simply use a lint roller to clean the bed and then leave. Yuck!! Also, the bed was broken and the staff accused us of stealing 100 yen ($1)! Aside from location, I would not stay here again!

Bad staff, dirty but cheap

Great place to stay and friendly staff!

the restroom is not good smell and also not clean. private room is good ,but I have the big luggage but the stair is too thin to move up.

• 14th Apr 2014
  • Thailand

It was great!Stuff were super helpuful, it was clean and very nice atmosphere!Good location, 100y store in 2 minutes, so the subwayand public bath (if you wanna take a sauna). Perfect value for money, it's one of the cheapest hostel in Tokyo and I think it's just perfect, I don't unerstand how people can write bad comments about it..also the stuff at the reception was super nice!Thanks for everything!

The staff was not very friendly and the beds were very creaky and like sleeping on hard ground. The kitchen was ok for cooking at least. It had plenty of pots, pans and dishes. There was only one shower and there wasn't any toilet paper in the bathrooms.