AS House (Asakusa Smile) Reviews

2-20-10 Higashi Komagata, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan

Avoid like the plague. Strong words? You bet: In one week, 4 guests had their valuables stolen; one of them had everything taken and had to go to his embassy. The hostel, which is made up of two buildings, is is shockingly dirty, even the "new" building (which has no staff members btw, open 24h to anybody). The facilities like in rural prison, most kitchen appliances burnt, broken or homemade. The staff aren't bad people, just don't give a flying f---. I could go on and on: trust me, just no.

Unless you were just released from prison you will not find the beds comfortable. Felt like we were sleeping on a wire fence with a sheet over it. Staff were pretty unhelpful, atmosphere was DEPRESSING. Wifi didn't work. Only slight positive was price - relatively cheap but to be honest probably not worth it in the end.

• 13th Jun 2014

Credit cards being stolen at the locked trunk in the hostel's room and unauthorised transactions made!!! Crazy ! I am not the only case during the stay!

We had an unpleasant stay in Asakusa Smile. The bathroom and basin were flooded. Stinky smell when we stepped in the reception as well as in the room and toilet. The room was not being cleaned before we checked in, the dust was all over the bed frame and window. Even though this is a just budget hostel, they must at least to improve the cleanliness of the rooms before they let the guests in. This is the basic requirement a hostel must provide to their guests.

Bathrooms really stinky Hotel very dirty Unfriendly staff Bad atmosphere don`t go there !

Runaway !!!! Worst hostel ever !!!!!!! I stayed 2 months in Japan, I did almost 15 hostel, even cheaper than this one, and this is the worst I EVER seen.... The only good thing is the bar which is located inside the hostel which is nice to meet new people. Otherwise every room are stinky & wet, lot of dust everywhere.... Restroom and showers are so dirty !!!! I never seen that before. Even my dog sleep in a better place !!! At least it pushed me to stay outside as long as possible....

Bathrooms weren't super clean, and the toilets had a foul smell.

If you're looking for a place where you get no sleep, wake up feeling filthy and stare at grubby neglected walls. Book yourself in here. Terrible kitchen facilities which staff begrudgingly clean for free lodging occasionally. Not enough toilets for each floor that smell like death. Great place to meet other travellers sharing the same sentiments about the place. It is cheap but you can stay in far better places for the same price if you book ahead.

Our 6 bed-room was quite small so that there was not that much room to move and put the luggage. Nice bar and thanks for the free welcome drink. It is great to have wifi on every floor. Location is great.

I would not call this place a hostel. I don't know how i would call it, but this is not a place where the staff is trying to make your stay comfortable. The rooms are ok and clean. The location is good. Cheap hostel. This is the good side. Now the bad one. There were 2 toilets on my floor (5 people in my room, 3 other rooms, so possibly 20 people), one was broken, the other one didnt close.The worst part is that I stayed 5 nights and they never cleaned this unique toilet!! The smell doesn't li

Unfortunatly for the personnel they don't have produces to clean correctly the old building. The door at the entrance is never closed so anyone could enter! The building is old but there clim in every room and hot water (in the only bathroom for the entire building!). The personnel is nice and take time to help you or reply to your question. If you can afford better you should definetively choose another guesthouse. But this one is one of the cheapest in Tokyo.... so don't expect too much!

Reasonably good hostel though security-wise might be slightly lacking because they are operating a public bar at the first floor and anybody will be able to access the other floors.

Run fast, run far! By far, this is the worst hostel I've ever stayed at after 4 months backpacking in Asia! Never thought it'll happen in Tokyo, Japan. As soon as I entered in the building, stinky smell was all over me. Well later on I realized its a perfect combination of cigrate, feet and toilet! Having travelled in Southeast Asia for a few month, I'm quite confident that I'm no snobbish picky backpacker. This place however, is way worse than I could ever have imagined. So Do Not go there!

The subway is not far away, and you have a good connection to all important places in Tokyo. The reason why this hostel gets this rating is, that it ins really dirty. I think about 95% of the public restrooms are cleaner than those in this hostel. And in the lobby smoking is allowed. So you always get the shell ob cigarettes, before you can go to your room. In out room was mould at the ceiling and a really disgusting smell... Later we found out, that this smell comes out of the aircondition...

The rooms are quite small with a little amount of storage but they are clean and have A/C. The hostel is located near to a couple of tube stations and it was very easy to locate. The staff are very good and speak quite good English and are on hand 24hrs a day. The bar is open until late in the evening and the beer prices are ok but I did expect them to be a bit cheaper. All in all a great hostel and very easy to meet people!

wifi is not work . I need a time to find the building ,not easy to find that .

• 22nd May 2014
  • Hong Kong

The door of our dorm did not close properly. Quite noisy in general so bring earplugs to sleep. A nice bar downstairs but strong cigarette smell. The bathrooms and showers were not clean and smelled bad, but they were functional. Very little tools and utensils in the kitchen. Overall, I guess you get what you pay for, which is ok if you only plan on having a place to sleep.

It's cheap. Not awful but it could be cleaner and stuff is pretty run down. The staff are also a little disinterested.

Location nearby Meiji Jingu (10-15min walk), Tokyo Skytree (5-10min walk). Nearby train after passby the bridge. Food stall open 24hrs with few min walk. Roughly the rooms good and tidy. A lot place to charge phone but bad is to climb up small staircase. Bigger luggage unable go up. Need open window if hot. Unable saw where is the air-cond.

• 18th May 2014
  • Malaysia

Staff was helpful. Some of the guests were very friendly and helpful too

• 17th May 2014