AS House (Asakusa Smile) Reviews

2-20-10 Higashi Komagata, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan

We had mold in the room. Mold! Black mold growing on the ceiling. Great for health Also, never look beneath your bed or anywhere in the showers. There is tons of dirt and dust. And not just hard-to-get ones, but dirt that could easily be wiped away in one swish. Everything reeks of dirt. And the other guests were plain annoying. Chatting late at night with their friggin' doors open, leaving hair of all kinds and tooth paste in the sinks, banging doors at night instead of turning the knob, etc

• 1st Apr 2015

When we were there, we stay in the 2nd floor. Unexpectedly, we met cockroach there. I have to mop the floor that night to clear it up. On friday night, the bar so loud, the neighbor complain & ask the police to came in to keep quiet. Last but not least, The hotel name is Asakusa Smile, but there were no smile at all when we were there.

Showers are poorly set up and pretty grotty. You do get a free drink card on arrival which is nice. I've stayed here a few times when I can't find anything else in Tokyo and it's ok for short term stays. But it's nothing flash.

Pretty standard hostel, not too far from the station. Reliably average.

I quite enjoyed my stay at Asakusa Smile. I stayed in the sister building across the road which was very quite compared to the main building. It was a comfortable and roomy stay for a backpackers, very homey. Although the wifi was very bad, I could only use it in the common room and I could not pick up signal from my room. Although, it was not necessarily a bad thing as it improved the social aspect of the hostel. I would go back and stay again.

• 31st Mar 2015

Unfortunatly I couln´t sleep because of the smoke from the dining room I could smell.. And also the bathroom was not very clean and people were making too much noise. But the staff was very nice and helpful : - )

Good location is the only thing good there! This place is just so dirty, and nobody cares. Our room was mouldy on the wall, so smells bad, with hairs and dust everywhre on the floor. Our advices, that place needs a HUGE cleaning, rooms refurbished..and some of the staff really need to work on the customer service.

• 30th Mar 2015

Nice location by just 10 mins walk from Asakusa station and near to some of the attraction spot. The japanese and spanish staff are very friendly and helpful. However, the bed of Asakusa Bekkan may need to be upgraded.

• 27th Mar 2015
  • Malaysia

Nice hostel, but it was very dirty under the beds.

Staff is not helpful and not interested. Hostel is very dirty and smelly. The sheets they gave me were dirty and my friends sheet had blood on it. Showers and kitchen are dirty. Kitchen doesn't have enough equipment. Room is very small and doesn't have a place to put your bags or hooks for your clothes. There were hardly any curtains so the room is very light early in the morning. The lockers were broken and the personal key could open ALL the lockers. Actually there is nothing I liked about it.

The hostel is very old and could really use a makeover. It got cleaned once a day, but that is not enough for the few showers being used by so many people. The kitchen had next to no dishes. However, the staff was very friendly, the station is close and it wasn't THAT dirty after all. So you can definetly book this hostel for a short stay, but it wouldn't be my favorite.

it was dirty And anything didn't work .... Tv oven wifi.... Etc

I am an asthmatic so the fact that people were smoking inside in the bar area made me not want to go to the bar. Not to mention the fact that my hair and clothes stank afterwards! The computer was also really slow. Apart from that, I always felt really safe and I thought that the hostel was in a great location.

• 18th Mar 2015

Really good stay at the bekkan - had a double private on the third floor. Really easy access around Tokyo and would definitely stay again.

• 18th Mar 2015

I think the bar atmosphere would have been more enjoyable had I not been so tired (and wanting to sleep despite hearing the music until 3am), but the facilities were foul and acrid, with everything being so dirty. I was worried about leaving my stuff even while I slept, which is the first time in any hostel in Japan I've felt that way.

Pros: Close to the station, close to the Skytree, close to Asakusa and cheap! The hostel bar is also lively. Cons: Front door is never locked/always open, no shoe box to keep your shoes, the room stinks like feet and body odor, shower is not so clean, kitchen smells like garbage, wifi never connects. You get what you pay for.

Awesome hostel with awesome people! Nice location, best way to be introduced in Tokio.

Asakusa Smile has slipped slightly in its accomodation status since when it was run by Khaosan Group. Each dorm room may have lockers; but the locker you'll be rented is on the 4th floor in an unlit chamber. It is still a nice venue. Take special note of the wi-fi networks. They are very secure. You won't guess the passwords, and each is easy to misspell. A perplexing problem it has is if it close to fully booked, the venue may run out of guests' slippers.

• 7th Mar 2015

Joint best hostel ive stayed in in my 20 months travel super modern Scandinavian style, free breakfast great wifi and chill area. clean bed and bathrooms perfect!! Staff great and easy to meet people! Please update pictures on hostelworld as doesnt show how good it is!

It's a very nice place!!!