AS House (Asakusa Smile) Reviews

2-20-10 Higashi Komagata, Sumida-ku, Tokyo, Japan

The rooms are quite small with a little amount of storage but they are clean and have A/C. The hostel is located near to a couple of tube stations and it was very easy to locate. The staff are very good and speak quite good English and are on hand 24hrs a day. The bar is open until late in the evening and the beer prices are ok but I did expect them to be a bit cheaper. All in all a great hostel and very easy to meet people!

wifi is not work . I need a time to find the building ,not easy to find that .

• 22nd May 2014
  • Hong Kong

The door of our dorm did not close properly. Quite noisy in general so bring earplugs to sleep. A nice bar downstairs but strong cigarette smell. The bathrooms and showers were not clean and smelled bad, but they were functional. Very little tools and utensils in the kitchen. Overall, I guess you get what you pay for, which is ok if you only plan on having a place to sleep.

It's cheap. Not awful but it could be cleaner and stuff is pretty run down. The staff are also a little disinterested.

Location nearby Meiji Jingu (10-15min walk), Tokyo Skytree (5-10min walk). Nearby train after passby the bridge. Food stall open 24hrs with few min walk. Roughly the rooms good and tidy. A lot place to charge phone but bad is to climb up small staircase. Bigger luggage unable go up. Need open window if hot. Unable saw where is the air-cond.

• 18th May 2014
  • Malaysia

Staff was helpful. Some of the guests were very friendly and helpful too

• 17th May 2014

If you're after a standard backpackers, this is it. The bar on the first floor is a good place to meet fellow travellers, and drinks are cheap. The owner was a lovely guy, but his son (who was working when I checked in) clearly doesn't care.

This hotel have really poor facilities and the price that do you have to paid is quiet expensive if you compare with another excelent hostel, if you dont have any other place to stay in Tokyo it's fine for a couple of days.

The room is basic but OK. In the kitchen lack of gear and not very clean. Same notion about WC. The location is very OK. Near the Skytree and the station to go to Narita Airport and Nikko.

Smiles was good place to meet other travelers down in the bar BUT the actual rooms and facilities were quite dirty and the kitchen had no proper facilities for cooking, just a toaster. It's ok for a quick stay but i probably wouldn't say it was worth the money. The location was good, easy to find and a short walk straight to the town.

After my 9-night stay here, I can definitely say that this hostel is really worth for your budget. I like its location in a serene neighbourhood. There are 2 convenience stores, Lawson and 7-11, within few minutes' walking distance. From a window view of my room on level 4, I can see SkyTree clearly anytime. You can walk to a famous Sensoji temple, Skytree and metro station in 10 minutes. I'll come back to use this place as my base to explore Tokyo again for sure.

I stayed at the 8 people dorm in the Bekkan building. The furniture in the dorm are really bad placed, because they have cabinets behind the bed that you can't really open. They take alot of room, which really sucks considering the fact that you have to share the room with 7 other people. Aside from the poorly decorated small dorm, the kitchen, bath/toilet/washing area and bar are really good :) A good advice to others: keep the dorm locked when not there. My visa got stolen and a girls laptop.

Nice staff and comfortable facilities for the price. The free drink at the bar is a big plus, and the location is nice if you want an older and quieter part of Tokyo. Very close to the Tokyo Sky Tree and Sinsoji Temple. A great value.

• 4th May 2014

The place was a cluttered mess, the toilets were a mess and backed up and the staff didn't really interact with people. The only thing I can say is that place was cheap.

We booked 5 nights, we did the first one and we left. The mattress was the worst I've ever slept on. The room was very tiny and we could hear the noise from the entrance of the building (late in the night of course). The toilet smelled really badly and the neighbors seems to enter the building and use it... You have to share the one bathroom: you're in the shower while other people are at the washbasin. There are no bins, soap or anything anywhere. Don't go.

• 3rd May 2014

I stayed in the Asakusa Smile satellite hostel, about two blocks away from the main hostel. Our hostel didn't have reception, but the building felt quite safe. Overall, the hostel had clean facilities (a washroom on every floor, a communal kitchen) but the only downside is that there is only one shower for the entire house. The wifi connection was also weak at times. With that said, the value for money is hard to beat as this is one of the cheapest hostels to stay at in Tokyo.

Wifi was almost unusable at times.

It was alright, not my favorite place by any means. The blankets were nasty, and they gave us a sheet to kind of cover it but it was gross. It seems like a well-trafficked hostel, so I mean, not the cleanest place ever. The bathrooms were clean, but halfway out of order. The bar scene downstairs is def not my thing, so keep that in mind. It was pretty easy getting around on the subway, though. The station is less than a five minute walk from the hostel.

Good atmosphir...

Staff are wonderfully nice. They occasionally house guests if they offer to work part time, for extended periods of stay. The hostel has several facilities, but staff are usually only at one. It might be wise to provide another staff at the other location.