Abbey Court Reviews

29 Bachelors Walk, Dublin 1, Dublin, Ireland

Overall, I was disappointed with my stay at Abbey Court. Be wary if you're a solo female In a mixed dorm I had to leave mine as one guy made me feel very uncomfortable. I got moved to an all female form but the staff weren't very sympathetic. I had to pay to store my luggage & there was no running water or compensation for this. Positives? Location was superb, 5 minute walk to temple bar. Wifi reception was strong & the breakfast was great!!

Hi there. We are very wary about who we check in and if we feel someone is unsuitable it's a straight no - so apologies you felt uncomfortable It probably would have been a good idea to book a female dorm though. We have lockers and cages to store luggage free of charge - we only charge for luggage at reception as we fully guarentee it. We had a problem with water due to the council which we apologise profusely for but it was beyond our control. Thank you also for your kind comments :)

This hostel was pretty huge so it was a little difficult to meet people at first but it was a good stay

Hey there - thanks for your comments. We have DJ nights to help people meet and encourage guests to get chatting in the common areas, especially the games room. We also have a nightly pubcrawl and daily walking tour which are great for meeting people. Keep these in mind the next time! :) Yvonne

Facilities are good, but er had to face technical problems (water supply and storage compartment in the room)

• 3rd Jun 2015
  • Austria

Hey! Thanks for the review. We had a problem with the water due to the council carrying out work and unfortunately we had no prior warning and there was nothing we could do. Kind Regards, Yvonne

Very lax on security, very poor facilities, and moderately inappropriate and rude staff. There was no running water (hot or cold, in the tap, toilet or shower) available throughout my stay, and when asked, the staff gave a variety of reasons and provided false assurances. After extensive conversations we were offered a 20% refund, however this amounted to roughly 10 Euro each. There was a real lack of customer service and I would not recommend or return to this hostel.

• 3rd Jun 2015

Thank you for the review. Each guest is given a security keycard for our front door to access rooms and it is permanently closed. Most of the rooms are key card accessed or have a security punch code. Also at night guests are asked by the night porter to show their key cards and tell which room they are in. We had a major problem with the water which we apologise profusely for however it was due to works carried out on the road and we could do nothing about it or were given no warning. Apologies

We were two females staying in the 10 bed female dorm. Good location, walking distance to everything. Staff was friendly and helpful. It would be nice to have a note if the front door is locked, to ring the bell if travellers arrive before opening hours.

• 1st Jun 2015

Hi Brittany, thanks for your comments. Yvonne :)

I have stayed here multiple times. It is the perfect locations. Right on the Main Street called O Connell super easy to find, and staff will help with everything. Showers are hot, and breakfast is ok. They give you the basics. Walking distance from temple bar and a pub crawl every night. This is the only hostel I stay in when in Dublin. Cheapest I have found also.

Very ok hostel, I wen there already in the past and I decided to get back. It basically has all you may need, indeed and it's fun too. I would recommend it!

Thanks so much for the review :) Yvonne

the staff was not really friendly... Difficulties to talk to them and to be understand.

First hostel I had ever stayed in and thought it was great! Upon arrival, staff were welcoming and helpful. Rooms were clean, bathrooms were average. Didn't use the kitchen facilities so no comment there. There's a lovely bar downstairs that is great to hangout in and have a few drinks. Easy to locate, 2 minute walk from Temple Bar. Overall good experience!

The staff were welcoming and helpful when needed. The hostel itself is big and comfortable. The daily breakfast in the morning is fantastic and it being included in the price is excellent value. I highly recommend Abbey Court for a fun stay. Do the pub crawl and make some friends!

• 30th May 2015

Hey there. Thanks so much for the lovely review. We hope to see you back again here soon! :) Yvonne

Staff were very welcoming and friendly.

Hey - great to hear you felt welcome! :) Hope to see you back again soon. Yvonne

This place was awesome. I stayed there 31 whole days in a 20-person female room, and I'm a solo traveler, so I really could have had a terrible experience. Instead, they were great from beginning to end, with SO many common rooms and helpful staff. The guy who checked me in remembered my name and said HI every time he saw me. There was one weekend where the hot water (and water in general) was down, but they were obviously working hard to get it back up, and it was quickly resolved. They care!

Rooms were tiny, the ensuite bathrooms were not well maintained or nice, but the communal bathrooms were, so don't spring for ensuite. Bring your own padlock, and make it a big one because the safety boxes were barely functional even with the locks they sold. However, the location is amazing. Worth the price even just for the location. We did the pub crawl and while it was fun I would've rather stayed at the first stop. Staff weren't very helpful most cases and one was even rude.

The smoking area isn't well ventilated. Smells rises up through the upper floors.

• 29th May 2015

Hi there - apologies for this. Before we have banned smoking in this area but to the annoyance of many of the guests. We ventilate the rooms every day and there is also been a protective shelter put there. It is an issue we are aware of and are treating. Many thanks, Yvonne

Most of the Staff very unhelpful and also very ignorant. Rooms very small and uncomfortable. Despite the area of the hostel would not recommend this hostel to my worst enemy.

• 29th May 2015

Hi. I'm sorry to hear you were unhappy about your experience. We took the incident that happened with your group very seriously and handled the situation as best we could, considering the circumstances, which resulted from your behaviour while outside the hostel. I personally saw your group when you checked out in the morning and was courteous and polite to you. If you could email yvonne@abbey-court.com I would be happy to discuss it with you. Many thanks, Yvonne

I was sleeping in a rectangular room, where both the door and the door to the bathroom were close to my bed. This made it hard to sleep because everybody had to walk by. The bed was ok, but nothing special. I was charged 40 euro's for a weekend night, a ripp off for this. Staff were ok, location is good, bathroom clean enough. All in all I think the hostel lacks atmosphere though, I'd go somewhere else next time.

• 29th May 2015

Thanks for the review. The 6 bed dorm you stayed in actually cost you 32 Euro including the deposit you paid to Hostelworld, not 40 Euro as you state here. This room included an ensuite bathroom and with the room you also had a free breakfast of tea, coffee, cereals, fruit and sausage rolls. There is also free wifi and free luggage storeage. You stayed on one of the busiest weekends we have had this year and this was a competitive price compared to other central hostels.Thanks, Yvonne

Doors exceptionally noisy when closing which doesn't help when trying to sleep. Otherwise great place to stay.

Great check in staff. The kitchen was great and breakfast was good. Even had hot chocolate.

• 27th May 2015

Totally recommend! It was in a good location that was easy to find, there were key cards to get into the building and rooms, lockers under the beds for luggage, luggage storage, the staff was very helpful when we asked questions and they had a bunch of things to do around the hostel and you could rent things out like blowdryers/hair straighteners for free. If anyone ever asks me about hostels in Dublin, I'll tell them to stay at Abbeys

Hey what a nice review. Thanks so much! Yvonne

That was such a bad stay. The staff wasn't nice but the opposite, you felt like disturbing them when you had questions. The rooms were not clean, especially the bathroom that was smelly and really dirty. A green light in the room, even during the night time, made us feel like it was day time all night long. The women from the breakfast were unpleasant as well. I wouldn't go back in that hostel for anything in the world!

• 24th May 2015
  • Belgium

Hi there, Thanks for the reivew and apologies you were so unhappy with your stay. The tiny green light at the exit area is part of the exit sign and must be there for legal reasons and for guests safety. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do about this. Perhaps the staff were having a bad day but we try at all times to be as accommodating as possible to guests and of course friendly. Bathrooms and rooms are cleaned thoroughly everyday - there is even a cleaner on in middle of night. Yvonne