Abercorn House Hostel Reviews

28 Bute Gardens, Hammersmith, London, England

Spent the evening in a private room prior to a job interview in the city - the place very loud (there was also a building site next door) and very basic (the private shared showers were actually shared throughout the entire floor, not just a handful of rooms). Much better value available in and around London

Construction work next door that will wake you up at 8am onwards. Drunk people coming back and people going out early slamming doors (hinged double doors). Staff make you feel unwelcome and put as little effort in as possible. Asked for an extra pillow and they denied. Room is just a bed (crappy), wardobe, cupboard, fridge and tiny metal chair. Blinds were broken and let light in. Showers were either very hot or very cold. Having said this..it is a 1 min walk from Hammersmith tube station.

• 9th Sep 2014

Noise comming from building site next to the hostel was unbearable. Also I'd love to congratulate the char for messing our belongings up more then cleaning up.

Great hostel, good beds but the doors slam which wake you up in the night several times.

The block directly next to the hostel is a giant mound of rubble undergoing very loud construction work. I feel someone should have mentioned that during the booking process. Wi-fi is not free; you must purchase it by the hour. Are you guys really that strapped for cash? The staff aren't exactly rude or unhelpful, but definitely not polite or helpful either.

• 3rd Sep 2014

We were two parties that booked together but when we requested to pay separately we were told we were giving the staff member a headache, and asked us to work out ourselves what we owed. When we asked where locally where was a good place for breakfast we were greeted with a shrug and told just go on up that road, there is a few places that way.

• 2nd Sep 2014

I always stay here when in London because it's location is great (just next to the Hammersmith tube stop and a number of grocery stores) and they give you plates and cutlery in the rooms. Kitchens are good and clean. Some showers are on a timers, some are not.

No pots available in kitchen, had to be bought in store at reception. Not enough mugs and cutlery for number of people in room.

Bathrooms were very gross water everywhere and toilets weren't flushed. Nowhere to hang your things when you shower. Staff said about 2 words to us and weren't particularly friendly. Sheets had stains.

keep it up!

• 24th Aug 2014

WARNING! PESTS ARE PRESENT! I stayed at Abercorn House for about a week, and as early as on my second day I heard the Word 'bedbugs'. Some of my roommates had already been at the reception to complain about some soars which they have got during the night. The only thing the staff told us then was to spray with some 'bugkiller' (which they have bought very cheap I can imagined). But it did not stop the bedbugs from bitting. Not at all. And the staff did still refrain from doing anything!

• 20th Aug 2014
  • Denmark

I passed only one night in this hostel, but I had a wonderful experience. The hostel is near to the city centre and the rooms are very cleaner. Firstly, I had a room with shared bathroom, but the window's handle was broken. Immediately, the staff changed my room and they gave me a room with en-suite bathroom, without extra. I recommend to everyone this hostel!

• 16th Aug 2014

All in all is a good value for money !! Excellent facilities, although you could have some hooks and benches in the bathrooms !! 4/5 stars !!!

• 15th Aug 2014
  • Portugal

Terrible staff: they make you feel like an annoyance and that any contact is better avoided(!) Good location near the Tube. Heavy, noisy fire doors. Kitchen with microwave and electric oven but no pans. Room is cleaned randomly. Wifi is paid. Initially given room 9, located next to a very loud fridge humming noise at the entrance: we complained and a day later they gave us another room: small, with signs of water infiltration, broken blinds, not even a chair. Room fridge is useful but noisy.

I only stayed for a night, but was very pleased. I stayed in a double room, so I can't say anything about the bigger rooms, but ours was perfect. The room was clean, the sheets were washed. Everything seemed recently renovated. The attached bathroom was small but contained everything you'd need (sink, toilet, shower). You get a small fridge and even 2 plates, cups, bowls and cutlery. It's a cheap hotel, so don't expect too much but I was surprised with what I got. Good and friendly service.

• 7th Aug 2014
  • Belgium

everything was great except for a couple things: - the water in the shower was too hot and we can't change it. - i ordered a double bed but was given a twin bed. everything else was fine. :)

Really good location, nice little shop by recption area to pick up supplies :-) It was a little noisey at times, builders were outside our window early in morning. Shower handle kept on falling off and the shower drain was broken, however you get what you pay for :-)

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Wales

If you're going to stay here, I'd advise getting in touch to see what the state of the construction is. (The staff responds to email quickly.) When we stayed (August 2014) the building -- a shaft directly across from our room -- was under construction and the one next door was being demolished. Very loud construction noise began from both locations at 7 or 8 am every day.

The hostel is located in a very good area, but it is not cleaned very often and is also bad cleaned, when that is ever done. They also don't change toilet papers and soaps very often. The owners weren't very friendly and on the last day when I asked if the receptionist if he could ask for a cab, he said it would cost 45 pounds, the same I hired for myself later costing 23 pounds. Generally, the structure is very good but the staff is far from being.

Could have been friendlier. If people are staying in hostels and working, then they ought to remember that the majority are on holiday; surely a private room be better. I wish men/woman who have long black hair and know that their hair falls out, when showering would clean up afterwards. This hostel could have been better, once again; no hooks in the showers!! Once they are up, then they are up! The cleaners got in the way a bit. They had painters in right at the height of summer! No atmosphere.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5