Abercorn House Hostel Reviews

28 Bute Gardens, Hammersmith, London, England

Everything was good except the detergent they use for cleaning the floor has to strong smell (a kind of bleach). And the water at the showers was only hot which was not very useful at these hot days. The doors of the rooms are very loud people don't close them because there is no dorknob and therefore is really noisy.

• 20th Jul 2013
  • Slovenia
  • Couple, 41+

Good location, but a sum of money went missing from the room when the cleaners came in. Very disappointing and upsetting, not dealt with by staff.

• 20th Jul 2013

I really liked my experience in this hostel. It is very clean. Very close to metro station and bus station. So easy to go to Heathrow from there. Loved it. Even the staff is not very friendly. I would stay there again.

The place is strange with staff that are unfriendly and uninterested. The place is noisy with doors designed to slam shut resulting in loud noise transfer due to the concrete walls and tiled floors throughout. There is no lift in a five story building. No hooks in the bathroom to hang towel of clothes. 8 second shower before the hot water tap needs to be pressed again. Plenty of kitchens but no pots or pans provided.

The staff was rude, and the rooms were very noisy, people would get in and out and the doors would slam really hard each time. At some point we were in a 4 beds dorm, and we were 4 people and 1 left, and they didn't even clean the bed before the other person came, so basicaally the new person slept in used sheets. The reception was 24h but there was no way they could control who was coming in. We just walked in, and they didn't ask any questions. It was a big hostel, so they didnt know everybody

Hostel was nice and rebuilt. We have only problem with thumping doors, because some people can´t close them normaly, especially during night. That was only disturbing thing in this hostel.

The room offered the very bare necessities -bed, wardrobe, sink- without any extra decoration or items, all painted in white. Despite the initial limited comfort, the place appeared to be quite nice, very silent, very well located and very clean. It does not provide all the services of a classical hotel - it is closer to a hostel standard as implied in its name - but it is the adequate value for money, no more, no less.

At the last moment a third friend decided to come along and she booked in a dorm. She didnt realize that she would be in a mixed dorm and we tried to have her moved to a room where she wouldnt share with three guys, which didnt work out. So I just want to warn that if you have a problem with that you need to mention on beforehand. Internet is not free. One pound for one hour access. The rooms are not cosy, but very clean and location near hammersmith station is superb.

• 14th Jul 2013

Good hostel, good value for money and not too far away easy to get into London by the tube. If you know your way around London easy to travel to all the sights, make sure to stay for a week and buy an unlimited weekly tube card. Saves in the end. Not much atmosphere but take the good with the bad. Should be able to make mates in bars anyway. Kitchens could have some pans. Why not eh?

the hostel was well situated, near the tube station, in a nice area. the staff was very helpful and pleasant. the and the bathrooms were clean and we liked the overall atmosphere in the hostel.

• 14th Jul 2013
  • Slovakia

While hostel location is good and it provides good value for money, soundproofing is awful. You wake up at 7 am because of slamming shower & toilet doors. The staff is not that friendly and facilities are average (I could not print my bus ticket because the printer had been broken for several days).

Good location, 7 min walk from the tube station. Hotel itself has a bit hospital-like look, with tile and white walls everywhere. Room was white as well and a little empty, no TV or free wi-fi, but the bed was good and soft. Most ridiculous shower: you can't regulate its height or temperature, and have to pull the tap every ten seconds or the water stops running. Kitchen available.

Double room was great. Unfortunately the kitchens had absolutely nothing to cook with. Your given plates in room with a fridge which is great but kinda pointless when you can't cook. Also bathroom floors were very slippery. I slipped over on my backside. Room great. Facilities just bad.

I liked having the fridge and dishes. They changed sheets and towels every other day which was good. Staff was nice. Didn't like that we had to pay for wifi and the bathrooms got pretty dirty, but no worse than any other place with community bathrooms. Location was real close to metro, but a little sketchy at night and there wasn't much to do around the hostel itself

• 9th Jul 2013

Very nice palce. I really enjoyed staying in Abercorn Hostel

• 7th Jul 2013

we enjoyed our stay,the location in London is great.The room and bathrooms were relly cleanlthough we found the staff didn't show helpful or even just;;;;smiling;good value for your money in London

• 7th Jul 2013

Nice and cozy in a perfect location! We stayed in the double en suite for one week and couldn't have been happier.

• 4th Jul 2013

This was my first time in a Hostel and I found the Abercorn House to be an excellent experience. The hostel location is less than 5min walk to the Hammersmith Tube Station and is in a very safe/clean neighbourhood with many great pubs and places to eat. The hostel itself was very very clean and modern with staff cleaning the bathrooms, floors,etc every day, and they changed the bed linnens every 2 days. The staff was also extremely friendly and helpfull. Overall this was a great experience!

• 4th Jul 2013

I was a little upset that when I checked in and said my friend would arrive the next day and need a room, I was told it would be an extra 10 pounds a day for him, but when he checked in the next day he was charged 15. In addition, I have the same type of room booked for next week and the price is an additional 12 pounds above the 15 my friend paid. Neither situation seems like fair business practice.

• 2nd Jul 2013

although booked to arrive at 11 due to getting back from the robbie williams concert at wembley we arrived nearer midnight , very quick check in and a few purchases from the lobby cafe and we were in our room. basic but very clean and with very soft beds. the next morning the cleaners were out in the corridor , the smell of the disinfectant was quite overpowering. check out was again very efficient and we were soon on our way . the location of the hostel is superb for tube connections .

• 2nd Jul 2013