Abercorn House Hostel Reviews

28 Bute Gardens, Hammersmith, London, England

The guy at the reception was a total buzz kill. Very uninviting and unfriendly. The room that smelled way too much of cleaning liquid. I had to open the window for fresh air every time I entered the room. WiFi is quite expensive - 1 GBP Per Hour. Kitchens do not have any utensils and bathrooms had messed up showers and no hanger for clothes. It's not exactly a friendly backpacker's hostel, more like a highway Motel. Would not stay again unless I absolutely have to.

Good transport options, noisy doors but silent neighbours. We were on the second floor with only one shared bathroom which can not be locked. But five kitchen were on that floor. Not bad, ideal for sleeping some nights.

The staff was not very warm and inviting when I arrived at this hostel. I was tossed a key and grunted at, with no friendly interaction at all. The room was bare but clean. The doors were continuously slamming loudly. This hostel was very close to Hammersmith station, which was nice. I probably would not stay here again.

No lift. carrying 2 25kg suite cases up 8 flights of stairs was murder.

• 29th Apr 2014

A bit noisy (doors) at nights otherwise OK

It was more a motel than a hostel. We stayed only one night hopefully because the bed was awfull!!

I have stayed in many hostels in London, and Abercorn is one of the best I have found--- the staff are very friendly and helpful-- the toilets and showers where always clean and tidy- the beds very comfortable and with good quilts- I will certainly use this hostel again Thank you staff -- Paul from the middle of russia

• 24th Apr 2014

Great place to stay. I slept and left early in the morning. Clean bathrooms, tidy and clean room and sheets. I stayed in a 4-bed room and it also included wardrobe and fridge. Greatest plus: 2-3 mins walk to Hammersmith station. Value for money, for sure. Also, I almost swept on the floor while leaving on the morning, because of the too much cleaning liquid.

I was put in on the first floor. The room was Awful, The doors in the building slam ALL NIGHT, the TV door, the front door, the hall way doors. I got almost no sleep the whole trip. The fellows at the front were not very warm people. I was really impressed with the cleanness of the room. It was very clean. The smell of cleaner was VERY evident the first night, but it was okay, it really made me feel the room was clean. The location was AMAZING as well. right next to train.

• 13th Apr 2014

the hostel used excessive cleaning detergent affect the entire hallway.

• 12th Apr 2014
  • Hong Kong

The hostel was very simple, but we had all we needed and even more (the fridge for example). Good value for the money we paid, I wouldn't mind to go back there if staying at London again.

Really nice place. You have Hammersmith station in 5 mins walk, the reception is open 24 hours, very clean and the bed all cozy The only cons are: the WIFI has to be paid and the shower head wasn´t working very well and it was fixed to the wall. Also all the noises came from within the house, I could hear the next door customers snoring

Paid for a ground floor ensuite room and was given 4th floor with no lift, bedroom very small,mattress in V shape should not be there,bed base unstable,extremely noise early morning as construction going on next door (not been told), would rather avoid booking again.

• 9th Apr 2014

Staff were very helpful and approachable. An improvement would be some cushioning of the doors when they close. They bang and echo through the building disturbing the peacefulness of the surround. thanks to all who made it an enjoyable stay.

• 9th Apr 2014

The hostel is located in a pretty good spot. Just two minutes from Hammersmith station where you can take a bus or tube to get to the city. The rooms are clean and have everything you need. We even had a little fridge! Also there is a little kitchen on every floor. In there you have access to a water heater, an oven, a microwave and even a normal cooking plate. Put unfortunately there are no pans, which makes the cooking plate kind of unusable really. Also you dont get free wifi. £5 for 5h!

• 8th Apr 2014
  • Switzerland

Security - the fire escape: anyone could have gone to the hostel despite cameras (I highly doubt they were watches all the time). The luggage room was outside in not really secure place also. Location: 4 tube lines, even though it wasnt close to the center the connection was good Staff: they were behind glass, they did just what they needed, no extra help, we even hesitated to ask questions not to bother them clean: rooms fine, women bathroom hair everywhere even after cleaning no free wifi

• 6th Apr 2014
  • Czech Republic

Clean the bedroom !

• 4th Apr 2014

Though it's good to be aware that cleaning does go on wherever you stay, the smell of disinfectant at this hostel was overpowering (even in the bedrooms). The sounds of doors slamming shut throughout the night also meant that sleeping for any length of time was impossible - even in a private room.

Next time I'm in London I'll stay here. stayed in 4 hostels drriing 10 days in England. This was the best.!

Finally, I have the answer why Abercorn House has the odd policy of not supplying cooking utensils though it has copious kitchens. It all has to do with the poor housekeeping habits of some hostel guests twinned with the Abercorn emphasis on cleanliness and hygiene. Good show, Abercorn. After many nights in hostels infested by filthy young people who cannot clean up after themselves, this attitude is a breath of freshness. Abercorn House, you now are my Number One pied-a-terre in London.