Abhostel Reviews

Kattenberg 110, Antwerp, Belgium

Hostel in good place with a cheerful atmosphere.

• 17th Sep 2014
  • Lithuania

Comfy beds, super clean, plenty of lockers. Nice area, cheap supermarkets, 20 mins walk from city centre. Informative, friendly staff, people always around. Great common area, especially kitchen. You can do ALL of your own cooking if you like. Recommended!

I had a great time at this hostel.

• 17th Sep 2014
  • Spain

ABHostel is adorable, the staff is super friendly (they even put out breakfast early on a day that I had to leave by 7:30 am!), and the lounge area is a fun place to hang out and talk to fellow travelers. My biggest complaint was that it was a bit out of the way, location wise, but even then it was super easy to get into the old town and get around the city because of its proximity to tram stops.

Location is a good 20 minute walk (or 5-10 minute tram ride) from the city center. Clean, friendly staff, with lockers in the room. Value for money. Note that Borgerhout is quite mixed racially and while it was totally safe - I had no untoward experiences - some people might not feel very comfortable in such a neighbourhood. However, I'll urge you to try...it's quite safe, really.

Cool atmosphere, very friendly guys who gave a lot of good tips!

We loved the feel of this unique and personal hostel! It had a great vibe to it and was really comfortable. The kitchen was great to use, I loved the free eggs at breakfast time and there was a really nice common-room area. I only had one problem with this hostel and it was the quality of the internet. It was very slow if you were lucky enough for it to even connect! also it is a fair way out of the city if you're walking or riding and it perhaps not the nicest areas ever. Great place!!

This is a very cool hostel with a lot of personality. The owners are incredibly friendly and helpful, and they have created a very social atmosphere there (but not in a loud annoying way). I was traveling by myself and instantly had lots of friends to do things with - I still keep in touch with all of them! The hostel is secure but the neighborhood is not so great so don't want back by yourself at night - take the tram or find some buddies. I would recommend this hostel for sure!

decorated in a personal style, lot s of thinking and work, feels like home. nice terrace. personnally I appreciated the calm and quietness, athmossphere of confidence: there are lockers if you like but but no control on evreything: key is on the lockers, you use it if you need, washing machines: use them when you need and leave money in the box. lots of space, nice terrace.nevertheless some rooms might be noisy, when the hostel is full (window to common area),

Really nice and cozy atmosphere. Lovely vintage interior, a lot of maps and information material. Plus a cool roof terrasse. The breakfast which is self-service could be more various though!

• 28th Aug 2014

Great common area and good kitchen and bathrooms. Really nice, relaxed place, not a huge amount of atmosphere though. Also strange you can't leave luggage or stay in the hostel after checkout. This is the only hostel I've ever found this in and the owners are otherwise really nice so I don't understand! Otherwise great though, I'd come back.

Naomi was a very friendly receptionist, and the owner Greg was also very welcoming to all the guests. The rooms were spacious, but there was only one bathroom for all the dorms. The location is not ideal since it's quite far from the historical district, but it's still close to public transportation and the price makes up for that.

My stay at Abhostel was nothing but comfortable. The staff is very helpful when providing information regarding what is around the hostel that might facilitate your stay in Antwerp. The location is very convenient and not far at all from the city's center. Rooms are clean daily like clockwork, but the facility in general is very well kept.

We really enjoyed our stay at Abhostel. The lady who checked us in was incredibly helpful and gave us lots of tips about Antwerp without us even asking. The kitchen was great for making breakfast in the morning and the rooms were very comfortable. It is located quite a walk from the main square but it is easy to find and trams run up and down the road frequently. I would definitely recommend Abhostel to anyone visiting Antwerp.

Really cool hostel with the best common area and kitchen I've been to anywhere in Europe. A great place to stay if you're travelling alone and want to meet other people. The only negative I can come up with is that there's no luggage storage and you have to be completely out of the hostel by 11 which isn't great if you want to spend the day in Antwerp. There are some lockers in the station but they cost at least 3 euros for a small bag.

• 2nd Aug 2014

It was the best hostel i have ever seen. So nice and private..With all this little details the hosts put in it..too cool! You have this nice terrace to hang around with the other travellers..and we cooked and watched dvds together...no atmosphere like this in no other hostel i was in!

• 2nd Aug 2014

The staff and the atmosphere is awesome, i felt like in home. Although the hostel is not in the downtown is a great place for stay because the neighborhood is interesting too.

FANTASTIC Hostel. The family who run abHostel are very pleasant, easy going people. Greg is great to have a chat with as is Bridget and the boys. The facilities are great with an ample kitchen, great provided breakfast and comfy beds. The hostel is a little out of the city centre, but it's only a 15 minute walk, or even better *hire a bike* from around the corner. Had a great time in Antwerp thanks to abHostel.

Overall nice family-run hostel. Check-in is tricky as the staff is there only for a few hours at a time. One strange problem I had was the owners don't want you to hang around at the hostel after you checked out. They initially suggested me to keep my bag at the station if I wanted to do more sightseeing in the afternoon. They grudgingly allowed me to leave my bag for a few hours but afterwards, they really wanted me to get out. Unusual practice for a hostel and not very accommodating.

One of the best hostels we've stayed at. They're super helpful and have lots of street magazines etc with tips from locals on what to do. Free breakfast with eggs, museli, bread and spreads (including speculoos!) was really nice. Must stay here if you're visiting Antwerp and make use of their rooftop terrace.

Real backpackers. In the right place :))) thanks for your lovely comment!! Xb