Abhostel Reviews

Kattenberg 110, Antwerp, Belgium

Really cool hostel with the best common area and kitchen I've been to anywhere in Europe. A great place to stay if you're travelling alone and want to meet other people. The only negative I can come up with is that there's no luggage storage and you have to be completely out of the hostel by 11 which isn't great if you want to spend the day in Antwerp. There are some lockers in the station but they cost at least 3 euros for a small bag.

• 2nd Aug 2014

It was the best hostel i have ever seen. So nice and private..With all this little details the hosts put in it..too cool! You have this nice terrace to hang around with the other travellers..and we cooked and watched dvds together...no atmosphere like this in no other hostel i was in!

• 2nd Aug 2014

The staff and the atmosphere is awesome, i felt like in home. Although the hostel is not in the downtown is a great place for stay because the neighborhood is interesting too.

FANTASTIC Hostel. The family who run abHostel are very pleasant, easy going people. Greg is great to have a chat with as is Bridget and the boys. The facilities are great with an ample kitchen, great provided breakfast and comfy beds. The hostel is a little out of the city centre, but it's only a 15 minute walk, or even better *hire a bike* from around the corner. Had a great time in Antwerp thanks to abHostel.

Overall nice family-run hostel. Check-in is tricky as the staff is there only for a few hours at a time. One strange problem I had was the owners don't want you to hang around at the hostel after you checked out. They initially suggested me to keep my bag at the station if I wanted to do more sightseeing in the afternoon. They grudgingly allowed me to leave my bag for a few hours but afterwards, they really wanted me to get out. Unusual practice for a hostel and not very accommodating.

One of the best hostels we've stayed at. They're super helpful and have lots of street magazines etc with tips from locals on what to do. Free breakfast with eggs, museli, bread and spreads (including speculoos!) was really nice. Must stay here if you're visiting Antwerp and make use of their rooftop terrace.

Real backpackers. In the right place :))) thanks for your lovely comment!! Xb

Enjoyed my stay at Abhostel. The 5 bed dorm was a great light but cool room. The hostel was quiet. Bridgette seemed to make things difficult when other guests asked her for help. The young Canadian lady who works there is awesome though :)

If you bring unregistered people in our hostel I can be difficult :) It s not allowed, it s illegal ! We like to think of the safety of our guests!! Great that you also liked our place !

Nice rooms but check in was strange. They need to hire someone to work reception so there someone there all the time to check you in and answer questions.

Please can you explain us why check in was strange. Maybe this is a review for another hostel!? Because I know you were checked in by Greg and I know he does a great job :) We re not always downstairs but we re always reachable!

Good hostel, but if you want a hostel party definitely this is not the place.

I had a good time at the hostel. I was just surprised by the rude way as the guy at the reception asked me to leave the common room after check out, since hostels always allow guests stay in these areas after check out (waiting for the flight, etc. ). If abhostel has a different policy that is ok. They only need to warn instead of expelling the people of the hostel in that way.

I didn't spend that much time at the hostel since I was at Tomorrowland but from what I experienced it was a nice hostel. Breakfast was served until 11am which was great since I woke up late due to the festival and I also liked that the room was spacious. I didn't like that there was no storage for baggage and at night it felt unsafe to go back to the hostel from the central station. But overall I had a very pleasant stay.

Super cool hostel!

Love the beer vending machine, family run hostel, owners work hard and give great city advice. Good for a chat as they love to travel. fairly chilled out not a party hostel.

Great hostel! Owners onsite are great.

Great staff very welcoming and are happy to spend time to explain things to do in antwerp and also explain everything in the hostel. Room was spacious and beds had individual power sockets. Big common area and kitchen and they also had a BEER vending machine which was great! Location was ok but there is a tram stop around the corner which takes you into the old city for 1.30 euro. Would defiantly stay again.

Really really nice hostel with a wonderful atmosphere. The owners are very welcoming and helpful. Best hostel I stayed at during a month of traveling l!

You know how to carpe diem! Thank you! Xb

I had a great weekend in Antwerp thanks to the Abhostel. Thanks for letting me stay here. Great atmosphere and amazing people. I will definitely come back one day! :) greetings from Holland.

• 11th Jul 2014

Thanks for staying here :) Xb

The hostel itself is very nice furnitured with all kinda of small details. Only that makes it worth a visit! Very intresting atmosphere! The breakfast is nice with alot of choice, but it ran out one of the day i was there which wasnt so nice. The place is a bit far from the city center but the trams run pretty often and are cheap. The owner will give you a very nice introduction about the city and also give you a very usefull city map.

Ow, why didn t you use the intecom when solething of the breakfast runned out, we check it often, but maybe to late that tile :( sooooory happy you liked the rest:)

This was a great hostel that had a huge lounge for mingling with other guests. The owners are very friendly and the staff are as well. Definitely glad I stayed here... the only thing they couldn't help me with was the weather.

You ve to come back, even the weather is great now :) Xb

I had a good time at Abhostel, I even returned to spend another 3 nights there. What I liked is the relaxed atmosphere, the good connection by tram, the little shelve, plug & light by each bed and the love of the owners for Antwerp. You are welcomed warmly, but there are no further activities at the hostel: if you want to meet people, its up to you to make the connection and come up with a plan. Sometimes there is a bit of an iffy smell downstairs, its not a reason to choose another hostel.