Abhostel Reviews

Kattenberg 110, Antwerp, Belgium

Staff was nice at first. Full of mosquitos. If in a room upstairs, you must shower downstairs. Wifi didnt work. A bit out of the way, but not too far. Social, met some cool people. Everything was ok til the last day. It was 10:59 am, I was downstairs in common area with my luggage, and staff got really aggressive & pretty much said we need to get the F out by 11 or will be charged half day. I've been to many hostels and have never been to a place where we couldn't be in the lobby after checkout.

Our common room is great. We understand you and all your newly made friends still wanted to enjoy it and the free drinks and the free breakfast,... But yeah, I think this is just a common sense case! We offer you a free anti mosquito thing to plug in! But ypu heve to plug it in! Keeping the terrace door closed at night also helps! Wifi works! Please if you give a review be honest! This really hurts. You even thanked us for the best hostel ever when you left!?

The owners are very friendly and helpful. Room wasnice but by the second morning we awawoke to find bug bites all over us. Could have been the mosquitos but more likely bed bugs despite the fact we couldn't find them. If it hadn't been for that experience this place would have been awesome

We are friendly and helpful :) so why did you not tell us and slept for 3 ! more nights with bed bugs that you could not find . And now one month later still nobody complained. So I think there were most likely NO bed bugs. And in my opponion this is a severe false accusation! Because we are friendly and helpful. And would certainly have helped you in a friendly way :) x bridget

Abhostel was easily the best hostel (out of five) that we've stayed in in Belgium. Bridget and Greg were very friendly and helpful and the place had all the facilities, information and entertainment you could want. It had a nice chilled atmosphere and we could happily have stayed there for a week. The location was the only downside, and if you don't get a tram it's a good half hour walk to the centre. And you should probably invest in some mosquito spray before you arrive.

We bought mosquito plugs and greg made screens! Thanks for great review! x bridget

I have stayed a few days in June; the hostel is clean and cozy, the owners are very sweet and friendly. I had trouble finding Abhostel as i passed by it few times without noticing it was there but it is exactly where it is written to be! It is not far from centre and quite easy to walk there; the neigbourhood is alright and safe but for a single girl it was sketchy in the evenings. I did have a lovely stay there though :)

• 13th Jun 2013

The owners of this hostel were very friendly and helpful in showing you what to do in the city. Hostel was extremely clean and had a nice kitchen to cook. Great DVD selection in living room. Also if you get lucky and come on the right day, Brigitte will sometimes make a chocolate cake! She was so sweet! Great place.

• 12th Jun 2013

Onwijs goed hostel!! Vriendelijke ontvangst met hele uitgebreide uitleg van de stad en tour door hostel. Het hostel wordt iedere dag schoongemaakt. Het is dus zo schoon dat je op blote voeten kunt lopen en douchen. Ontbijt kun je zelf pakken en is de hele dag beschikbaar. Ruime woonkamer en keuken. Ruime kamers. Schoon en prettig bed! Lockers beschikbaar. Fijne backpacker-sfeer! Tram/bushalte voor de deur, maar centrum is op loopafstand. Aanrader voor alle soorten reizen!!!

• 11th Jun 2013

Suuuuuper bedankt! Hopen je nog eens te mogen verwelkomen :)

This hostel was my second favorite hostel of all time (and I stayed in 30 different hostels during my trip). They aren't kidding about the converted chocolate factory thing. They made us delicious chocolate cake one night, the kitchen is legitimately fully stocked (none of the half-assed there's a microwave in the corner nonsense), there's a rooftop terrace, the room we stayed in looked like a hotel room, and they had eggs and cheese and bread and spreadable heaven (spekuloos) for breakfast.

This is one of the nicest hostels I've stayed at. I was personally greeted, and given a tour of the entire facility. I've never had such a nice and personal warming welcome at a hostel. It had a great lounge area, filled with a book swap which was amazing, a TV with DVDs to watch, free internet, and a full kitchen to cook in. Not to mention, the entire place just has its own character that makes it unique. It's an old chocolate factory! It's amazing.

Thank you sooo much for this amazing review! x

The Europe map in living room is way too old. Some countrise dont even egzists any more. Thumbs up for the beer machine. Really i dont see enybody using excersize bicycle......

• 9th Jun 2013
  • Croatia

Thanks for your comment! The bicycle and the map , that s ,.... Vintage :) Happy you like our beermachine! See you :)

Yay for chocolate cake!! Breakfast all day!! Definitely rent a bike from fiets haven. Makes the location better!!

wonderful hostel! The hostel take great care about everything, include the design. Peaceful and comfortable.

Thank you, dear guest! x

This place was excellent! Very cute and cosy, a bit away from the city centre but there were some bars/restaurants nearby. Great value.

This hostel is awesome! The staff were super friendly and always up for a chat, the bedrooms are modern and equipped with super comfortable beds. The facilities in the kitchen are some of the best I have seen in a hostel in all my travels, plus has free breakfast that is great, and frequently cake is provided to guests. The common area is very spacious with plenty to do in your free time and a great space to hang out with other people. Being a long time traveler I recommend this place highly.

I traveled for a couple weeks staying in hostels and and this was by far my favorite hostel to stay at! It had character, the owners were fantastic, the cake (they baked us cake) was delicious and the city was one of my favorites. A good experience all the way around :) If I'm ever back in Antwerp, I look forward to stopping by again.

• 27th May 2013

AMAZING HOSTEL, one of the best Ive stayed in, lovely space (GREAT kitchen), very friendly and unbelievably helpful staff, very clean and great atmosphere! Too bad the area isnt so nice, and its a bit out of the way--need to take the tram into town (which is quite easy to do), or ask the staff too help you find the hidden gems in their own neighborhood (which they will show you gladly!)

• 26th May 2013

It's the best introduction to the local area I've ever had because of all the useful info. They know the city really well and have great suggestions on what to do and where to go. It's like a home from home and the chocolate cake is great! I would definitely stay there again.

We had a really nice stay here. Everything was clean with good shower and bathroom facilities. Had good wifi and there was plenty to eat for breakfast. Has a really quirky style perfect for hipsters and the common area is really cool. The owners have plenty of suggestions on what to do and see and even bake cakes. Feels like a home and can be pretty quiet but we liked that. Beds in the 5 bed dorm were squeaky when you moved but no big deal. We liked that 4 euros to buy a towel not just rent.

Gorgeous hostel, great common room and kitchen. The time I went to hostel was pretty empty and the weather wasnt great so it was really nice to drink wine and curl up to a DVD. The hostel is gorgeous and spacious, clean and modern and the owners are delightful. I did have to wait in the reception for 2 hours for someone to check me in because there was no one manning the reception desk so I had no where to leave my luggage, but overall a very pleasant experience. Basics provided for breakfast

We loved this hostel. It was very quiet in May which we loved. Freshly baked chocolate cake on arrival- wow! Impressive kitchen facilities and very nice spacious 10 bed dorm. Owners are very unique in that they have backpacked and stayed in hostels a lot and know what travellers want. It's an awesome building- old chocolate factory which is light, spacious and airy. A short tram ride from tourist centre. Highly recommend it.

The people that run this hostel are awesome. The location isn't great but really everything else is amazing. Free breakfast. No extra charges for little things. It's just a great hostel.