African Heart Backpackers Reviews

27 Station Rd, Observatory, Cape Town, South Africa

We booked online but then got sent next door to stay in the next door neighbours spare room when we arrived, as the hostel was full. Did receive some money back, however if we had of known this was going to happen we would have gone else where. Not a great hostel for travellers, quite far from city centre.

• 24th Jun 2014

The staff were friendly (and helpful when we had questions), and the room was comfortable and clean. We had an en-suite shower, which was lovely and warm, with good pressure. Me and my 2 friends just wanted somewhere clean and simple, which is what we got. The wi-fi only worked in the lounge area but that was fine (and it worked well in that room). This hostel knows what it's doing and I would recommend it to anyone. There was parking available right outside or around the corner.

• 5th Feb 2013
  • Switzerland

This was my first time to Cape Town and I wasn't very sure on where to stay. Based on only a few reviews, I chose African Heart on a whim. It worked out beautifully, I had a nice private room for a few nights then moved to the dorms. I felt equally welcome in each. The area was just a touch out of reach of the main sights but the staff, especially Sandy and Michaela, made the stay worthwhile. The few nights I stuck around at the hostel were just as enjoyable, if not more, than the nights I went out on

Friendly knowledgeable, helpful staff, clean quiet room, charming old character home. We would definitely stay here again if we come back to Cape Town.

It's obvious that the staff put a lot of effort into decorating and trying to make the hostel inviting and comfortable! There are a lot of comfy places to hang out and meet other travelers! Close to a grocery store and a big kitchen to cook. I would definitely recommend it, but my only gripe is that it is a little ways from city center.

friendly staff...very nice rooms with good character...very very clean and tidy. A bit far from the main city but as a place to relax it is great!

Es war dort sehr schön, die Atmosphäre ist sehr familiär und man kann sich dort auch selbst versorgen (es gibt einen Kühlschrank, eine Mikrowelle, Herd, Grill, Backofen...). Mit den Taxibussen kommt man für 5 Rand in die Innenstadt, mit der metrorail kostet es 7 Rand. Auf jeden Fall empfehlenswert!

located in Obs a 5 min walk from the train station which is only 3 stops from the centre of town . Close to the University and has a good night life of its own . Rooms are clean and spacious and staff very friendly and helpful . a great little place to stay and good value for $$$

This was the best hostel we stayed at in our two weeks in S.A. The staff were amazing and actually checked in with us every day to see what our plans were and provided extra information on where to visit ensuring an amazing time. The hostel was charming, super clean, beautiful greenhouse-like bathroom with rainshower heads. Free internet, fully stocked kitchen and free light breakfast. This was the first hostel we encountered where the staff actually made sure we were having a great time.

On of the best hostels we stayed in SA! Clean, quiet and secure. Very friendly and helpful staff. Be prepared to spend some money on transport (taxi at night) since it's located a bit outside the city centre. Observatory is though a nice area with shops and restaurants near by.

You always feel welcome there. The staff is very helpful and the hostel itself is like a small peaceful island in a busy city.