Akureyri Backpackers Reviews

Hafnarstrati 98, Akureyri, Iceland

I really had a good stay!the bar downstairs has a nice atmosphere,the facilities and the kitchen are cleaned regularly and the Wi Fi is fast. I can totally recommend this place!

We had a lovely stay in Akureyi and would recommend the hostel to other travelers we meet. Staff were knowledgable and friendly about the area and we were very comfortable.

• 25th Dec 2015

My friend and I booked a two night stay in Akureyri Backpackers for Christmas night and most of the hostel was empty except for maybe 10 other people. The kitchen was nicely kept and the showers were clean (all private too!). There was a steam room (sauna) but I didn't use that. The rooms had lockers but you may need to bring your own lock (front desk may have some for rental). My only complaint was the bunk bed being really squeaky! So bring ear plugs if your a light sleeper

• 24th Dec 2015

Its very expensive for the price you pay. There are not a lot of things do to in the hostel.

Possibly the best hostel I have stayed in anywhere. I have been all over Europe and N. America, which is not much, but this is the top. Only negative is walking by he crowded bar to get a shower a times.

• 15th Oct 2015

Great hub in the middle of town

this hostel has a sauna! :) very central and quite nice atmosphere showers not in every floor, only on the basement.

Everything was great except the woman on reception had little to no idea what was going on. Although in fairness the other girl that I dealt with was really nice and helpful, so don't let this put you off completely.

Great atmosphere, clean rooms and awesome showers.

• 12th Sep 2015

Great hostel, great and helpful staff. 100% recommendation to stay here!!

We stayed only one night at Akureyri Backpackers. Everything was clean and well maintained. You didnt get much of anything extra, with an up charge for linens and breakfast, but the price was on par for the area. The kitchen quarters were a bit small, but my only real complaint was how badly the bunks squeaked in our dorm room. Every time someone moved it woke the whole room.

You definitely need ear plugs on a Friday and Saturday night but,apart from that,it's great.Decent kitchen area for those who don't wish to avail themselves of the good meals provided in the bar,really clean all over with the boss even doing all the cleaning over the weekends,which I know the other staff appreciated.And...best showers in amhostel ever! Even if you do have to travel downstairs to get to them.Good vibe,great location.

All in all the akureyri backpackers hostel was a nice place to stay. If you are looking for something quiet to relax after a long day, this is not it. It was very crowdy in the kitchen, so only little space to cook a real meal. Also a pub and restaurant are in the hostel, so its a little noisy. To get to the showers you have to pass by the restaurant, which is a little unfortunate. But the athmosphere was really great, everyone was really friendly and i enjoyed my stay.

• 31st Aug 2015

For what it is it is too expensive.

Great place to stay in Aku. Staff are friendly, whole place is clean, bar with food downstairs, easy to book tours. The lady who runs the joint is on top of her game! well done.

Positiv: big rooms, nice bar, friendly staff, clean Negativ: Wifi very slow and not proper working in the rooms, noisy beds

I stayed in the 8-bed dorm. The room is spacious and quite clean. Though I have to use my own sleeping bed as blanket is not included. Good location. Though the bathroom is in the base floor and I had to walk past the lobby, kitchen, cafe and met many people every time when I used the bathroom.

Put a paper where to write down the names for those who want to book the laundry. Thank you

• 14th Aug 2015