Al Salam Camp Reviews

Ramlah Village, West Bank, Luxor, Egypt

Al Salam Camp is a taste of real Egypt. You can swim in the Nile, experience great Egyptian cooking (suppers are negotiated separately, but definitely worth it), converse with Egyptians knowledgeable about today's struggles. You are in the village outside the heart of Luxor, but close. Bike ride to the Valley of the Kings is doable (though I found it challenging). My stay in Al Salam Camp was one of the highlights of my trip to Egypt, for I felt as though I was taken into an Egyptian family.

Nice place on the west bank.

• 17th Jul 2015
  • Spain

The owner literally welcomed us into his home. He and his family are very nice hosts. I recommend to all who stay there to chose to eat at the camp. The food offered there is simply amazing. Staying in Luxor would not have been nearly as nice if we would not have chosen that camp.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Egypt

They should advertise this as a home-stay. Ahmed who ran the place was wonderful, and his wife is an amazing cook and made us home cooked meals. His 3 kids live there and are adorable. Ahmed arranged all of our trips in Luxor, which is gorgeous and made our lives very easy. It was definitely a wonderful experience!

We spent very relaxing time in the hostel, enjoyng the athmosphere, the suggestive place and the nature of his garden, beyond the site where it is situated, near to the archeological sites but at the same time in a reserved position. The personnel was welcoming, kind and always available, the room typical and comfortable, and also we could have extra services if required. We absolutely suggest you to accommodate in Al Salam Camp when visiting Luxor!!

• 3rd Apr 2014

i didnt go to that hostel

The pleasure of staying at Al Salam Camp is all due to Ahmed and his family. The location on the west bank of the Nile is tranquil and rural, with lovely views towards Luxor. It is very conveniently located for all the major sights in the area, and is ten minutes drive to the Valley of the Kings. We felt very at home at Al Salam Camp, and Ahmed's wife served good nutritious food. Ahmed speaks very good English.

• 14th Oct 2013
  • Couple, 41+

It's a beautiful hostel, calm, next to the Nile. Ahmed and his family are the most special hosts ever. Not problems or bad surprises at all. Charming.

• 1st Aug 2013
  • Colombia

A very nice family runned camp on the west bank of nile river, very tasty home cooked food (dinner, breakfast), bikes to hire for exploring the valley of the kings..., best choice for Luxor

Al Salam Camp ıs just perfectly located ıf you want to escape the busy Luxor. It ıs a nıce and quıet locatıon, but very beautıful and nıce rooms wıth good facılıtıes. You can have wonderful meals and breakfasts and you are taken care of wonderfully. At Al Salam Camp you wıll feel at home wıthın a few mınutes. If you have any problem (I had been sıck durıng my stay) they can help you out! Thanks a lot, I enjoyed ıt very much and hopefully the tıre ıs workıng fıne :-)

• 7th Apr 2013

It is an amazing place, the atmosphere, the flowers, everything!!! Ahmed worries about each details, and give you advice about your best options to do in Luxor and obtain the best prices. His food is really delicious. Al Salam Camp is exactly at the west bank river. You can see the noisy City of Luxor, from a quiet spot, listening the birds, surrounded farmer fields, If you need cross to the other side, it is very simple, just 10 minutes with the ferry or motorboat. I loved the place!

• 1st Apr 2013
  • Argentina

BEST FOOD EVER!! the place is beautiful, and the people there is great, is very recommendable. AL SALAM CAMP ROCKS!!!

I really enjoyed my time in Al Salam Camp! The place is beautifull, great to stay after a long day of excursions. Its very quiet, full of plants and flowers. I loved staying in the patio just relaxing and enjoying the view. Ahmed, the owner is a magnificent person, He is very funny and kind. Always asking if everything was alright, and offering his help for anything i could need. But the best thing of Al Salam Camp was the food! It was always abundant and delicious. I will miss that food!

• 1st Apr 2013
  • Argentina

Absolutely gorgeous. A great place to just spend some time laying about in the garden. Away from the hustle of the rest of Luxor. They coordinated travel and a bike for me without any hassle. Looked after me while I was sick too. Bear in mind, there is no wifi and the 4 bed dorm no longer exists.

• 16th Mar 2013

Al salam camp is a charmer. It is small hostel, run by a family. Ahmed, the owner, certainly knows what hospitality is, and his wife knows how to cook. So don't leave for dinner anywhere, stay and enjoy delicious homemade food. There is a nice chillout area at the hostel as well. There you can enjoy the bonfire, play guitar or backgammon, or smoke shisha. Ahmed can also arrange trips and other activities. Agree on the prices beforehand, though.

Do NOT stay here. Ahmed is nothing more than a comon hustler/scammer. Long story short - he tried to charge overprice for the room, and when I calmly told him, I thought he made a mistake, he went nuts, started yelling in both english and arabic, yelling the F word a lot. He tried to charge for beers and beverage we didn't drink. His tours/taxi rides are so overpriced. Worst experience I've had with any hostel - and thats including bed bugs from other places!

We spent two wonderful days at Ahmeds oasis close to the Nile! We enjoyed the company of Ahmeds family & the great homecooked food! Al Salam Camp is the perfect place to escape from the stressful Luxor-Downtown and all the poor "standard-tourists". We did a bike-ride to the temples and an hot-air-ballon-trip, just amazing! We felt very safe and relaxed, we would highly recommend this place to everybody!

• 19th Feb 2013
  • Switzerland

Al Salam Camp is an exceptional hostel. Location is superb on the Nile's beautiful chilled out west bank. The 'camp' itself is a cozy hangout surrounded by huts and bougainvilleas. There's a family atmosphere and the head of the family, Ahmed, is extremely helpful and friendly host. This is one of those places where I didn't even lock my door. The food, cooked by Ahmed's lovely wife, is also delicious. Extremely recommended.

• 7th Feb 2013
  • Finland

it s realy nice place with very good location in the west bank of the nil..... and you can go by bicycle to visit all the archeological site.... i realy enjoy the place with good atmosphere and nice pepole.... ahmed from al salam camp is very nice like all this family

Perfect place to spend my time in Luxor - a simple but very nice camp, a few huts, and all connected to Ahmed's family home. Meaning he's around for any questions you may have, and home made food always available. It's quiet around there, still just a short walk from the West Bank ferry The huts are very simple but nice and clean, and there's tables and benches outside (and in the shade) - and electric plugs as well, for those in need:)

• 6th Feb 2013