Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

Came in at night and left early in the morning so I didn't see much of the hostel but what I saw was nice. The rooftop bar/restaurant view is awesome and it's a great place to hang out. Bathrooms were nice, wifi worked well. Free airport shuttle was really awesome. Wish I had noticed that they'll pick you up too! Only complaint was that I didn't see any lockers in the room. Otherwise awesome!

Stayed only 1 night since it's so close to the airport. It was very comfortable and clean. I would stay there again.

Awesome spot with great wi-fi the free shuttle and the pizza upstairs are great bonuses ! i think having ac's in the dorms was great since alajuela is very hot ! try the market wlking distance to get your souvenirs

The dorm room smelled like mold and the AC barely worked.

• 21st Nov 2015

This hostel is the best option for your first and last night in the country. The perfect combination with great rooms and a Free shuttle to the airport. You got to eat the pizza at the 4th floor bar , it is delicious. Definitely would come back I loved it!

Clean, interesting architecture and room decor.. (I had a single room). Staff was helpful. Good security. The airport shuttle is great! I enjoyed my first Costa Rican meal in the small, but pleasant, eating area.

• 13th Nov 2015

They changed the airport transfer schedule without making it clear online. I booked specifically so that I had the airport transfer. The hostel is clean and fine and I have stayed there before and liked it.

I enjoyed the bar and restaurant here. The bar tender is super nice and will make you feel welcome. She is also very helpful with providing any information you might need about Costs Rica. If you stay here be sure to grab a beer here.

• 9th Nov 2015

great location with free shuttle to the airport, i recommend this place

I tried to book this reservation on the hostel's website, but after entering all my information twice, I got an error page both times telling me my transaction wasn't processed. So I booked through Hostelworld. When I arrived, I gave them my name and was told to pay the rest in cash, which I did. A few days later two full room charges came up on my credit card statement. I have reached out many time to get a refund but it has been 2 months and no refund. So I paid for my same room three times.

• 1st Nov 2015

My airport shuttle didn't turn up, so I had to take a taxi to the hostel at 9pm. The man (alex) who was supposed to arrange my shuttle at the airport was very unhelpful. He wouldn't tell me what was going on, and then said it could be another 40 min until my shuttle arrived, even though I was told the shuttle would pick me up shortly after I landed. The staff at the desk were really nice though, and gave me a free room upgrade.

• 1st Oct 2015

Great hostel, but a bit pricey for a bed. No kitchen facilities available. The bar/restaurant and lounge areas weren't open till the evening. Staff didn't seem too enthusiastic to help out. WiFi connection wasn't good. But a great place for an overnight stay to and from the airport. The shuttle service to the airport was a great bonus.

The night staff were extremely rude and I found them to be disrespectful and unhelpful. The atmosphere was also very low, however given that it is so close to the airport-most people just come to stay for the night and then leave early for their flight the next morning. WARM showers are an added bonus, and free shuttles to the airport!

The staff member who greeted us was lovely and if the review was based on just him it would be a high one however, the rest of our stay was awful. Facilities are lacking and it was very expensive for a bed with no kitchen or other facilities. We were made to feel so unwelcome after we checked out and were waiting in the hostel for our flight and rather than treating them well the manager sent out his staff to ask us why we were loitering and if we could leave. Very rude considering we were payng

• 10th Sep 2015
  • Wales

This hostel is fantastic. I believe bad reviews belong to people that expect a 5 star hotel, will definitely recommend to others!

I read reviews about poor staff before I booked but booked anyway for its close proximity and free shuttle to the airport. Upon arrival we had to wait 4 hours even though the room was empty to check in, upon check in we also asked to reserve a spot for the morning shuttle to the airport as it said on the board to book the day before however he (Andrew to be exact) said no need to book just turn up 15 mins before. Came down next morning 30 mins before to be told we had to pay for our own taxi!!!

Hostel was nice and in good location to airport and bus station, but staff weren't overly friendly or helpful. Booked this hostel mainly for the airport pick up, but unfortunately the shuttle did not arrive and we had to take a taxi. The hostel did cover the cost of the taxi for us, but a little inconvenient when arriving and searching for the shuttle (luckily someone lent us their phone to place a call to the hostel). Decent location for those looking for a place to stop over from the airport.

Good beds, good location. Sadly very much lacking in soul. There's not much space to relax in as the lounge is only open for breakfast or dinner. Staff were a bit brusque I felt - didn't show me round the hostel at all, say where my room was or what number it was clearly! The wifi barely worked and bathrooms were still dirty by 2pm. Nice roof top area when open with decently priced meals. A fine place for the night but not ideal if you have a day in Alajuela. airport shuttle service was good.

We really liked the location and the staff were nice. The longer term luggage storage is really great as is the airport shuttle. We couldn't get the wifi to really connect the whole time though except on an older phone. The place is really clean, but oddly a lot of roaches.

1 2 Next » last »