Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

The place is a nice property. Staff is great. The bunks are a bit short. Overall clean safe and friendly. Will stay with them again.

• 30th Jan 2015

Perfect place for in or out of SJO.

• 30th Jan 2015
  • All Male Group, 31-40

I must say, it was the best hostel I have stayed in. Clean and tidy. The view from the top bar was great, and the staff were all lovely and helpful. I can recommend it highly.

• 29th Jan 2015
  • Sweden

It would be good if they provided towels so that people flying out can have a shower and not worry about their own towel being wet in their bag for the entire trip and possibly making everything else wet

• 29th Jan 2015

The staff were very helpful and accommodating for our group of 16 people. Great airport shuttle service and the food was good value. Only problem was the need to pay the deposit by credit card on the website- this was really inconvenient for us. Other than that it was a great choice to stay for our last night in Costa Rica.

• 27th Jan 2015
  • New Zealand

Good value, and great proximity to the airport. The shuttle service to the airport made me choose this hostel, and delivered well. The staff (especially Andre!) were great, the hostel clean, I felt safe, and the internet computers were a great plus.

Perfect for an am flight.

It was ok, but some things didn't work properly as you would expect in a hotel. Maybe that's the hostel hotel mix problem. For example there was no wifi in my room. Then my card (key) didn't really work so the reception fixed it. Then all of a sudden another hotel guest came into my room with his card. Very strange. The shuttle was well organized. And the bar upstairs was nice, good view. I think that this place works as a hostel, but as a hotel it's not good enough..

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Czech Republic

The bathroom in the dorm was handy and the balcony bar was great. Being right next door to the buses to San Jose is really nice as well.

Perfect place to stay before leaving Or just arriving in Costa Rica. Great value for my money. They also have a nice restaurant overlooking the city. The staff were very friendly and helpful! Great place!

• 13th Jan 2015

The hostel's website made the hostel out to be much more than it is. On arrival I was very disappointment and cancelled the other dates that I had booked to stay there at the end of my trip. One member of staff whose English was very good, was extremely helpful and I would have been very lost without him on my onward journey. The airport pick up service was very poor and badly organised

• 11th Jan 2015

Free Shuttle to Airport was good!

• 8th Jan 2015

Was a hotel. Dorm rooms are a converted hotel room with bunk beds that offer none of the individual luxuries of other better equipped hostels. ie. Lights, outlets, lockers. Beds are tiny too and more for children. Would recommend if staying for use of the airport for the free shuttle and relative comfort.

Fine staff, helpful,friendly. The terrace bar/cafe is a delight, the gentleman and lady who run it couldn't be improved.

• 1st Jan 2015

This hostel defines average. The upstairs bar has a good view, but there isn't much else going on. The front desk attendant who checked us in was unhelpful and insolent, but the other staff members were nice and competent. This is a good option if you have an early flight out of San Jose -- the free airport shuttle is excellent -- but there is really no other reason to stay at this hostel.

they need to get a communal kitchen

Staff was completely unable to help me, had to pay double, because my credit card didn't work (though it apparently worked in every other shop an location). Extremely strikt cancellation policy. Bathrooms not clean at all. If you only want to spent a night on your way to the airport- it is okay. Other than that, choose another hostel.

• 20th Dec 2014

I arrived at 2am after arriving to Costa Rica. Everyone was sleeping. The people were great. The floor was flooded, but I think it was from the drunk people that had a party before I got there. I left early in the morning. No complaints and super easy to get to from the airport!

Great hostel, super nice staff, restaurant on top floor and free airport shuttle...very much enjoyed my stay!

friendly, helpful, accommodating staff.

• 18th Nov 2014