Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

My room wasn't very clean. I killed 3 cockroaches in one evening, 2 which were crawling on my bed. The bathroom was a bit grotty and worn (I went for the superior 4 bed dorm) with no cover on the toilet roll holder and a pile of dust and dirt in it. The restaurant bar area is nice with great views and tasty well priced food. This makes a nice option instead of going into San Jose if you are going to/ from the airport. However the room standard isn't great. With the top bunks v high and unsafe

When we arrived, they said there was no room for us. Though we had booked a private room, they found us two dorm beds, but when we got to the room there was no air conditioning. Then, miraculously, they found us a room. The dorm room we saw was dirty, and the room we stayed in had hair all over the bathroom.

Stayed here on both our first night and last night in CR. We met some really fun people at the rooftop bar the first night but on our last night it was much more mellow. The atmosphere can range from really fun to pretty quiet but it's close to the airport, bus stops and the central market plus it comes with a free welcome drink at check in

The hostel is right in the middle of Alajuela and very close to the main street with a lot of shops and restaraunts. The shuttle from the hostel to the airport is free. I stayed in one of the single rooms and it was huge with a nice bed and ensuite bathroom, however the shower only had COLD water which was disappointing. The rooftop bar is small but has a really cool view of the Central Valley. The atmosphere is pretty non-existent, but it is perfect for staying close to the airport.

Great place for airport drop off / pick up

Perfectly located in the center of town. Quiet. Nice restaurant. Traveling w kids and was great. We would go there again.

• 15th Jul 2015
  • Mixed Group, 41+

This hostel was great. Nice location to airport

Ideal hostel for first or last nights in Costa Rica. Clean, nice view from bar and shuttle is very handy.

I was disappointed that the supposed airport shuttle was actually a man looking for a taxi for me. I received a mail saying I would find the shuttle at a precise location, but it was not there and instead of that the man was waiting for me in front of the exit, and I did not see him at first. It was at night, I was alone and I did not feel very safe at that moment. My stay at the hostel was good after that and I would recommend it to other people.

• 19th Jun 2015

Great pit stop before flying out of SJO. Roof top bar/restaurant was a great place to hang out, the breakfast was really good. Shared bathrooms weren't very clean, but otherwise a good place to stay for a night.

Great hostel for spending a night near the airport, it's only three minutes away and the free shuttle service is very nice. The bar has a beautiful view of the city. Can be loud if your room faces the street. Very clean. No good spaces to really hang out though. It is a convenient hostel.

1 2 Next » last »