Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

This hostel defines average. The upstairs bar has a good view, but there isn't much else going on. The front desk attendant who checked us in was unhelpful and insolent, but the other staff members were nice and competent. This is a good option if you have an early flight out of San Jose -- the free airport shuttle is excellent -- but there is really no other reason to stay at this hostel.

they need to get a communal kitchen

Staff was completely unable to help me, had to pay double, because my credit card didn't work (though it apparently worked in every other shop an location). Extremely strikt cancellation policy. Bathrooms not clean at all. If you only want to spent a night on your way to the airport- it is okay. Other than that, choose another hostel.

• 20th Dec 2014

I arrived at 2am after arriving to Costa Rica. Everyone was sleeping. The people were great. The floor was flooded, but I think it was from the drunk people that had a party before I got there. I left early in the morning. No complaints and super easy to get to from the airport!

Great hostel, super nice staff, restaurant on top floor and free airport shuttle...very much enjoyed my stay!

friendly, helpful, accommodating staff.

• 18th Nov 2014

Alajuela Backpackers is the cleanest hostel I've stayed at. I would consider this hostel more of hostel hotel type of establishment. The rooms are clean, friendly staff, ideal area right next to the airport. They provide a shuttle to the airport for free which the main reason I chose to stay there for my last night in Costa Rica. Had a good night that night, it was pretty relaxed and met a cool group of guys.

• 12th Nov 2014

I only spent one night here, but it is very close to the airport and the shuttle service makes it all worth while.

One of the staff didn't speak very clear english therefore directions were misunderstood causing a lot of trouble to get to where I was trying to go. Free airport shuttle is handy, but there really isn't much to see or do in Alajuela. Facilities were very nice and clean. Book this place online because they charge more if you just arrive without a reservation. The place was absolutely empty when I was there so there really wasn't an atmosphere.

It seems like this backpackers used to be a hotel.To save money, instead of renovating it, they changed it to a hostel. No kitchen area and bathrooms were moldy. Only stayed here a night, which for what I paid is bearable. Location is excellent though. Staff were good; very friendly and helpful. Be mindful that the airport pickup is available for $17 and up rooms. They asked us to take a cab from the airport and they paid for it (we booked the $17 bed). Overall, a 1night stay is okay here.

the staff made the stay...from Andrey the perfect host, Emerson the happy and hard working cleaner to Emerson who went beyond his job to help, amazing staff, I wish they all worked for me. Many thanks for making our holiday visit special. cheers James Robson.

• 10th Oct 2014

Great place to stay if you need to stay close to the airport. The staff is friendly, welcoming, and helpful. Clean place with good atmosphere.. Rooftop Restaurant and bar are nice.

1 2 Next » last »