Alajuela Backpackers Reviews

Alajuela right side of National Monument Juan Sant, 4th Ave , 4th ST,infront of parque de los ninos, Alajuela, Costa Rica

The best stay for your first or last night in Costa Rica with free shuttle service. Very clean, modern and really nice. Perfect bar with good food and an awesome view!

some staff very helpful. Other less welcoming. In general good.

• 4th May 2014
  • All Male Group, 31-40

Nothing fancy, but the perfect place to stay if you're traveling onward and need to be close to the airport. The bar was small but the pizza was good and the other bar-goers were friendly, and the shuttle to the airport was a huge plus!

For a one night stay to catch an early flight this is a great place to stay. I would not recommend an extended stay.

• 25th Apr 2014

I stayed there with my 7 year old son. We had a large, clean room that we enjoyed very much. The Hostel was very comfortable and had a nice and convenient bar/restaurant. It is 5 minutes from the airport for quick access for early flights!

• 21st Apr 2014

A very convenient location when you are in transit - close to the Airport and out of San Jose mess.

• 20th Apr 2014

Room 23, door to bathroom didn't close properly and the shower curtain was very dirty and smelt bad

• 17th Apr 2014

A lot of problems with internet...

Great location, particularly for the airport, and super helpful staff - very efficient for booking tours to nearby sites etc. The rooftop terrace is amazing! Highly recommended for a good value for money accommodation option.

• 12th Apr 2014

Professional, friendly staff. Location worked perfectly for me. I'm staying there again next week and again in May.

• 7th Apr 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful. It was great to see the hostel is having some work done. We could walk all over town. Rooftop bar was nice. The free airport shuttle was on time and quick.

I didn't find the staff very smiley or helpful.t And i don't understand why they put music on so loud in the common areas, you can hardly make a phone call with all the noise. (couldn't call in my room because there was no wifi there)

• 23rd Mar 2014

There was no water during the day. We arrived on Saturday at 2.00 pm and couldn't use the shower or loo in our room until 7.00 pm. We had paid for a double room with a private bathroom, but were told we would have to use the bathrooms on the second floor (we were on the 4th floor). Then on the Sunday there was water first thing in the morning, but again nothing until the evening. Then the water went off again early on Monday morning. The bins in the bathroom weren't emptied at all.

• 22nd Mar 2014
  • All Female Group, 41+

We stayed in a private room. It had air conditioning, a reasonably comfy bed

The windows were very dirty. The door was hard to open because everytime it scratched extremely the floor. The website of the hostel does offer things that do not exist there (e.g. free welcome drink). Furthermore the page shows rooms and pictures and pools that do not belong to Alajuela hostel but to other hostels and just with a deep view you can see that. We were disappointed.

• 18th Mar 2014

The 'free' shuttle actually cost an EXTRA $5. The staff did not inform me that there is a bus NEXT DOOR to the hostel that takes you to the airport for $1! When another guest told me about this, I went and told reception and asked for my money back- WHICH THEY REFUSED TO GIVE ME! You couldn't pay by card, even though it said so on hostelworld and on the website! The bar on the top floor closed at 12am and was extremely noisy, so I did not sleep before my 20+ hour journey home. No free lockers.

It's a nice hostel however could use a community kitchen. Also, fumes from painting and renovation were very strong. Staff is super considerate and could not have been friendlier!

Helpful and friendly staff. Beds are uncomfortable. Americans are still loud and obnoxious wherever they go. Great morning coffee. My only real complaint is that I asked for the shuttle to pick me up after my flight, and I never found it. The staff said they were out looking for me, but I was standing exactly where they told me to wait for half an hour.

The bracelets given by the hostel to "ensure" that we had paid our room is a real pain in the ass. Also, there wasn't any water for 2 days in a row in our room, which was quite unpleasant. On the other hand, the restaurant at the top floor was awesome and the staff was really nice.

• 12th Mar 2014

The vibe here at ABP is well... unique. 90% of guests are leaving Costa the next day. Therefore most of them are pretty melancholy and not exactly trying to rage on Alajuela all night long. My point is: If looking for an easy stay in a dorm full of people who probably have a 7am flight and are most likely tucked in tight to the bunk at 9pm... This is the spot for you!!!! If you wanna party like an animal before you leave CR, stay in San Jose at Galilleo or CRBackpackers, party & $20 cab it!