Alaska Backpackers Inn Reviews

409 Eagle Street, Anchorage, USA

In all fairness we got there at check in time 4pm and then we left reasonably early the next day they are only probably 10 mins walk the the mall which is huge really u can even walk a bit further down road and u will find places to eat and have few drinks. The only downfall I felt was u had to go to to another building 2 min walk to use cooking facilities or even make a drink bad luck if it was pouring with rain but overall not too bad

• 4th Aug 2014

Alaska is expensive. This place is very inexpensive. Not the best hostel I have been in around the world but there were clean sheets. The bathroom was fair. Can't beat the price. Definitely not a place to just "hang out" but I would stay there again for a few nights.

• 2nd Aug 2014

There were blood stains on my bed sheet! The floor had not been cleaned or mopped for at least a month. There was stuff under my bed, too. Staff reacted to my complaint. Kudos for that. Floor looked better after, but there was still stuff under my bed. I wanted to cancel my last day and they wouldn't refund me, despite 48 hrs notice! They allow locals to stay, who are broke and don't belong! Room mate asked me to lend her money! No travellers' community whatsoever...

The location of the hostel was perfect for my needs; I could hop on a bike or walk to the city center in minutes. The internet was a little slow, but it didn't affect my stay too much.The cleaning staff would generally be quite loud when they came around, and the bed was lumpy, but these would be my only complaints. The interactions I had with staff were pleasant and the facilities were nicely kept, clean, and organized.

In one hour of being there we witnessed two different incidents of management yelling at the staff in public areas. They were EXTREMELY rude to the cleaning staff. It was awkward to witness. The facility is pretty rundown and not clean. The bathrooms had standing water on the floor. The area is also not great. It's walking distance to downtown but not situated in a good part of town. I would not stay here again.

Well firstly i found the staff to be good. But unfortunately this hostel is not only a hostel for travelers but for locals and homeless, often carrying drugs and weapons. Security is very poor and the hostel is located in a pretty rough part of town. Kitchen is not maintained. Bed linen was clean and beds were comfy though.

we stayed in a double room with shared bathroom, but in the other appartment was nobody, so the bathroom was always free. but the appartment and bathroom were like a sauna, always very hot and we couldn`t turn down the heating. we took a fan from the reception to cool down our room, but this didn`t work very well. also the guy at the reception was not very friendly at all. the room and bath were clean.

Clean, spacious, and no frills (private room = studio apartment). Just what we needed; somewhere to crash, close to downtown, not comfortable enough to want to lounge all day inside after running a marathon! Very kind front desk (although the young woman was not too knowledgeable on "insider Anchorage" tips - she sent us to the visitor center ... uh, thanks?). Loved the chickens and bunnies. Slightly disappointed no deadbolt on the door to our room.

Room does not have even a small table and any chairs, no hangers. Some guests are noisy during night time.

• 16th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I had a private room as I didn't trust the reviews and I'm glad I did as there were some odd people staying at the hostel. The bedding was not that clean and the whole building was pretty shabby. I was able to walk into the city centre and the staff were very helpful and friendly

Greatest hostel I have ever been to. Clean good staff.

• 8th Jun 2014
  • India

Located just a 5 minute walk to the next bus stop. You can reach the international airport via transit center for 4 dollars! Rooms and bathrooms always 100% clean, the people at the front desk are helpful and call a taxi if needed (15 Dollars one way to the airport). Within 5 minutes of walking distance you find a walmart (food, tobacco, beer, wine, outdoor gear ....) and several diners (Denny's, Mc Donald's located inside Walmart....)

I've traveled all over the world and this hostel was by far the crummiest place I've ever been to. I reserved a single room, with twin bed, with shared shower. The total cost was $70 for one night. We arrived at 9:00 the night my girlfriend and I were supposed to stay there and the guy at the front tried to overcharge me and when I caught it, he said sorry. Room was like prison cell, bed was lumpy and full of grime, bathroom was community. Overpriced and over promised.. worst place ever.

• 5th Jun 2014

Our room had a heater which could not be turned off, and while the staff supplied us with a fan, it was still too hot to sleep. We were on the ground floor and so rather reluctantly left the window wide open all night to help cool the room. In the end we chose to stay elsewhere on our return to Anchorage.