Alaska Backpackers Inn Reviews

409 Eagle Street, Anchorage, USA

In one hour of being there we witnessed two different incidents of management yelling at the staff in public areas. They were EXTREMELY rude to the cleaning staff. It was awkward to witness. The facility is pretty rundown and not clean. The bathrooms had standing water on the floor. The area is also not great. It's walking distance to downtown but not situated in a good part of town. I would not stay here again.

Well firstly i found the staff to be good. But unfortunately this hostel is not only a hostel for travelers but for locals and homeless, often carrying drugs and weapons. Security is very poor and the hostel is located in a pretty rough part of town. Kitchen is not maintained. Bed linen was clean and beds were comfy though.

we stayed in a double room with shared bathroom, but in the other appartment was nobody, so the bathroom was always free. but the appartment and bathroom were like a sauna, always very hot and we couldn`t turn down the heating. we took a fan from the reception to cool down our room, but this didn`t work very well. also the guy at the reception was not very friendly at all. the room and bath were clean.

Clean, spacious, and no frills (private room = studio apartment). Just what we needed; somewhere to crash, close to downtown, not comfortable enough to want to lounge all day inside after running a marathon! Very kind front desk (although the young woman was not too knowledgeable on "insider Anchorage" tips - she sent us to the visitor center ... uh, thanks?). Loved the chickens and bunnies. Slightly disappointed no deadbolt on the door to our room.

Room does not have even a small table and any chairs, no hangers. Some guests are noisy during night time.

• 16th Jun 2014
  • Couple, 41+

I had a private room as I didn't trust the reviews and I'm glad I did as there were some odd people staying at the hostel. The bedding was not that clean and the whole building was pretty shabby. I was able to walk into the city centre and the staff were very helpful and friendly

Greatest hostel I have ever been to. Clean good staff.

• 8th Jun 2014
  • India

Located just a 5 minute walk to the next bus stop. You can reach the international airport via transit center for 4 dollars! Rooms and bathrooms always 100% clean, the people at the front desk are helpful and call a taxi if needed (15 Dollars one way to the airport). Within 5 minutes of walking distance you find a walmart (food, tobacco, beer, wine, outdoor gear ....) and several diners (Denny's, Mc Donald's located inside Walmart....)

I've traveled all over the world and this hostel was by far the crummiest place I've ever been to. I reserved a single room, with twin bed, with shared shower. The total cost was $70 for one night. We arrived at 9:00 the night my girlfriend and I were supposed to stay there and the guy at the front tried to overcharge me and when I caught it, he said sorry. Room was like prison cell, bed was lumpy and full of grime, bathroom was community. Overpriced and over promised.. worst place ever.

• 5th Jun 2014

Our room had a heater which could not be turned off, and while the staff supplied us with a fan, it was still too hot to sleep. We were on the ground floor and so rather reluctantly left the window wide open all night to help cool the room. In the end we chose to stay elsewhere on our return to Anchorage.

Unfriendly staff and crazy security lady.

• 19th Sep 2013

Took me over 90 minutes from when I arrived at 10:30 p.m. until I had a bed. They were super disorganized and not especially polite about it. After that the experience was average, but the first impression was awful.

• 15th Sep 2013

the room was overheated. the smell was unbearable, like a dead moose under the bed,. Only with open window I could survive there. And that was again a security Problem. I was happy to leave the place. I told the staff about this, but they were unimpressed about all.

• 27th Aug 2013

The room was in the basement and really looks likes a car box, it was dirty and stinking. Bathroom was dirty and the floors in the common area was sticky. Hairs of other's people in the bed.

nice place, loved the animals, will stay with you again

• 28th Jul 2013

The reception is in a separated building. The hostel looks dirty and abandoned. There's nobody controlling the building so you feel unsafe cause everybody can come in and use the common areas or facilities and they do it in fact. The guys in the desk were really boasty and rude. Good location in the city center but fails all the rest. Nasty!

Good location to historic downtown area. Staff varied in friendliness and helpfulness. Very bare bones even for a hostel.

• 21st Jun 2013

A good clean up and fresh paint would go a long way and the dumb staff who used a angle grinder send9ng a shower of hot sparks an the cars below needs a kick up the bum. You are lucky I yelled at him to stop before any damage ws done to my rental car. A repaint could have cost you real money.

Sheets with traces of wax, old bedspread, curtains with holes, noisy neighbors (shouting all night). We left the room with the annoying feeling that we would need to go into disinfection right away.

• 25th May 2013
  • Spain

Very clean bathrooms.....the sleepingroom itself hadva very bad oder in it!!! Maybe new carpet could fix that prob....otherwise not bad.

• 7th May 2013