Alaska Backpackers Inn Reviews

409 Eagle Street, Anchorage, Alaska, USA

Unfriendly staff and crazy security lady.

• 19th Sep 2013

Took me over 90 minutes from when I arrived at 10:30 p.m. until I had a bed. They were super disorganized and not especially polite about it. After that the experience was average, but the first impression was awful.

• 15th Sep 2013

the room was overheated. the smell was unbearable, like a dead moose under the bed,. Only with open window I could survive there. And that was again a security Problem. I was happy to leave the place. I told the staff about this, but they were unimpressed about all.

• 27th Aug 2013

The room was in the basement and really looks likes a car box, it was dirty and stinking. Bathroom was dirty and the floors in the common area was sticky. Hairs of other's people in the bed.

nice place, loved the animals, will stay with you again

• 28th Jul 2013

The reception is in a separated building. The hostel looks dirty and abandoned. There's nobody controlling the building so you feel unsafe cause everybody can come in and use the common areas or facilities and they do it in fact. The guys in the desk were really boasty and rude. Good location in the city center but fails all the rest. Nasty!

Good location to historic downtown area. Staff varied in friendliness and helpfulness. Very bare bones even for a hostel.

• 21st Jun 2013

A good clean up and fresh paint would go a long way and the dumb staff who used a angle grinder send9ng a shower of hot sparks an the cars below needs a kick up the bum. You are lucky I yelled at him to stop before any damage ws done to my rental car. A repaint could have cost you real money.

Sheets with traces of wax, old bedspread, curtains with holes, noisy neighbors (shouting all night). We left the room with the annoying feeling that we would need to go into disinfection right away.

• 25th May 2013
  • Spain

Very clean bathrooms.....the sleepingroom itself hadva very bad oder in it!!! Maybe new carpet could fix that prob....otherwise not bad.

• 7th May 2013
  • American Samoa

I really enjoyed the hostel. I thought it was convenient but the the location of it was not in the greatest part of town. It was a bit sketchy. If you have friends coming with you, that's a great idea.

• 27th Sep 2012

The hostel maybe was great when it was opened. However, we were over all disappointed. Our room had a mold issue (we were coughing a lot), the facilities were partly dirty and partly very humid and moldy as well. And the old reception looked horrible. If you are building up the new house, don't forget the old one. It really needs your attention. It's not enough to just put up signs everywhere that guests should clean. It didn't leave a very safe feeling, that there is no staff in the building.

I gave mostly "average" scores because the registration and common area (which includes a full kitchen, patio, bbq, living room area ) are all really nice, cute, and a nice place to relax and unwind, but the room that we stayed in (which was down the street) didn't smell so great. Maybe because we were next to the men's bathroom, I don't know. I loved that our private room had our own fridge and TV though. The common women's restroom seemed clean, well maintained, and smelled of potpourri

• 17th Aug 2012
  • Taiwan

This place is ok if you just need a place to stay one nigth or two, but can be cleaner (dirty sheet when I arrived).

Ya know this place is just nasty. There's equipment stored behind the front desk of the "annex." There's graffiti all over the walls in an effort to be creative and allow guests to personalize the wall space, but it's not really working for this hostel. All the amateur artwork just makes the place look bad. Hosts who really care about guests do all they can to make the place look good. Alaska Backpackers seems to have the opposite attitude.

It was a nice surprise - within walking distance from interesting stuff in Anchorage. Pretty clean and quiet, felt safe.

Staff were friendly & my room was very nice- clean, comfortable and with nice little touchs such as books to borrow. There were also helpful facilities like free internet. However the noise was really bad- people seemed to running & shouting all night and, as the room was in a separate annexe to the 'office' there didn't seem to be staff around to ask people to quieten down nor to notice the front door had been left open. Good as a cheap stop between tours but would not want a long stay.

Staff weren't very friendly

The bathrooms are huge! But there was only one female and male bathroom each. So I thought, they could easily split the bathrooms in two to avoid waiting. The rooms are pretty basic: bunk bed, lockers, fridge, and a (non-working) TV. Not a lot of atmosphere. The "different color hallways on each floor" turned out to be graffitis from recent travellers.

Big common room, free computer and internet use. no breakfast.achorage downtown is easily walkable.

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4 5