Alba Hostel Glasgow Reviews

6 Fifth Avuenue, Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland

we were cold at night the duvets were 1" thick, the kitchen was in the basement and was not very clean. there was no coffee or tea for us to a drink. my friend's pilloww was so thin she had to fold it in half to get some sleep. we do not believe the sheet had been changed because there was a torn mattress and the sheet had tear in the exactly the same place. we have stayed in cheeper places but they were creme de la creme in comparsion.

• 7th Oct 2014
  • Scotland

This hostel double booked our room and gave it away before we checked in. Then he told us that they had room for us at a second location, but that that room wouldn't be ready until 2000. Check-in time was 1600 and we were there at 1615! So we waited in the sitting room for 4 hours and waited for the managers uncle to arrive and take us to the other location, which was actually the uncles personal home!!! He gave us a room in the basement that did not lock or anything and then wanted cash only!

They don't really bother losing customers. Ask for everything, before they will charge you. They charge for leaving bags at their place (2 GPB for bigger bag) before check-in. Nothing wrong, we were just not used to this. Otherwise stay was OK. Showers OK.

the staff were unfriendly and unhelpful with our questions and problems. They actually charged us to leave our bags behind the counter as we arrived before the 4pm check in. It was only £2 but the price was hardly the point. After we slept in late we couldn't get the hot water in our shower to work we were told by that they turn the hot water off between 10am-4pm and that we could wait if we wanted but that it was better to have a cold shower in Scotland anyway.

• 18th Sep 2014

We booked for two nights in the same room, and when we did the check in they told as that we had to change rooms without any explanation. Actually, they lied to us because they told us that the hostel didn't like to mix male with female and that a group of guys was arriving but the group was only girls. The staff told us that buses run all night and that was not truth!!! So we where in the city center and had to take a taxi that cost as 10 pound because they told us the wrong information

If I could give this lower score I would! The staff was rude and unwilling to help. There were blood stains and hair in my bed! It was loud, far away from everything, and didn't offer the amenities advertised. The worst!

The staff was rude and unwilling to help with anything. The amenities advertised on the website were not available. There was blood stains and hair in my bed. The mixed up my reservation. And, it was extremely noisy! The worst place I've stayed in a long time, I hope they shut down!!! They definitely need a health code review!

This hostel is a short bus ride from the city centre and is great value for money. Full kitchen facilities and a comfortable sitting room are avaliable. The ower of the hostel is very generous - upon my arrival we discovered i had booked to stay on the wrong night. The staff cancelled my inncorrect booking free of charge and found me alturnate accomdation and gave it to me for the same price even though it was a private room. The owner also drove me to the new accomodation with my heavy bag.

• 10th Aug 2014

Very friendly and helpful staff, very clean facilities :D

Staff spoke very little English

• 29th Jul 2014

Staff weren't very helpful. The security was not good - a door was left open all night. Initially the location seemed bad but it was easy to get into the centre by train. It was clean and had nice bathrooms, although not nearly enough of them.

This hostel was far from the city centre but it is not difficult to figure out the bus route and once you do that! everything is much easier! (Take buses 6 or 6A to get in and out of the city). The bathrooms were the most modern that I've ever seen in a hostel and they are soooo clean. The rooms and the hostel as a whole is very clean too. My only concern was that I couldn't lock up my belongings. In a room with 6 beds there are only two cupboards, both of which can hold only one lock.

(+) Hostel was clean, relatively large rooms and had a large modern en-suite bathroom. (+) All in all, good value for money. (+) On site parking, trains station and restaurant just across the road are added assets. (-) breakfast is a do-it-yourself thing and only from 8-10am...something better is usually expected for the price. (-) unlike what's stated on the site, payment by Visa is accepted...you end up spending €5-10 more due to exchange rate.

The place is all right, friendly staff, good beds and good location, the only problem is one bathroom for a room with 8 beds, so share that with 5 girls it is not an easy task!

contra: the door to the rom was "secured" by a 3 digit pin code and no key, there was one "locker" for a room with 8 beds (and it was broken so that it was accessible from the rear even when the door was locked), payments by card cost 3% extra fee, tha staff was *very* slow/reluctant in doing anything. the location is very far from the city. Don't waste your money on this. pro: the bathroom was clean and in good condition, the room was generally clean and the atmosphere was interesting

All ok! Staff was fine.

The service was great, super helpful with directions and suggestions of what to do around the area. I'd definitely stay here again!