Alba Hostel Glasgow Reviews

6 Fifth Avuenue, Glasgow, Glasgow, Scotland

Perfectly adequate for our needs.

Probably one of the worst hostels I've stayed in unfortunately.. Fortunately it was for one night. 1. Run down and very old. 2. Beds would squeak at the slightest movement so no one had a good sleep 3. Hot water worked intermittently throughout the shower 4. Staff could have been more helpful when asked about buses and getting around, they seemed to give little care about its guests.

This was the strangest hostel or place I have ever stayed. It had the strangest vibe and lack of atmosphere I've ever experienced. The staff could be helpful but were usually just disinterested in what you were doing and distant. If you need a quiet clean place to stay it's a good place. But if you want to see the city and meet people, it's not really the best place to stay. It was like being in someone else's house where you aren't allowed to raise your voice and you always have to whisper.

OK location, staff was very desinterested and had no knowledge whatsoever

We booked a 6bed room, but got 8bed room. The stuff explained that there is no difference in their reservation system, so you get what is free not exactly what you reserved. We came at 2PM and had to pay Ł2 for each luggage storage for 2 hours. We wanted to make our own breakfast, but found kitchen so dirty we were afraid to use the equipment. There was water leaking from electric lamp on the ceiling in living room - problem solved with putting the bucket underneath. It is not travelers hostel.

Too noisy ... we could hear everything happening in the building - noise from above us, in the hallway, from our own room since the bunk beds are seriously squeaky ...and no sleep all night.

Good service. The information to get the place could be better for people who don't know the city

This is the first hostel that has charged 2 pounds per bag to hold until check in time at 4pm. I arrived at 10am and just wanted to leave my small carry on bag and a plastic shopping bag so that I could explore Glasgow. Muhamad said there is charge, Flabbergasted , with no choice I paid. Very disappointed . Came back in evening to check in and Ariana told me where room was and didn't explain anything and didn't seem to care . Castle Rock hostel in Edinburgh was great. No outlet. DON'T STAY HERE

Nice and cozy hostel on reachable distance from the city centre, which offers great value for money. Perhaps due to the particular period (mid-July) most of the people were not really fellow travelers, which hampered the hostel-like atmosphere. Overal, good place to start your sightseeing in Glasgow and its surroundings in the morning and nice retreat after a long day.

The location sucked. The shower was cold for a good 10 minutes before it got luke warm. Clean and had big lockers. The people in my room were all old (35+) and for a young girl it felt weird.

Glasgow is a strange place to visit.. Not a lot of stuff to do for younger tourists and so the whole place has a strange vibe. The staff are nice and the hostel is clean but there just wasn't a lot going on..

The staff was unorganized and rude. They forgot to book me for both nights, and all they said was, "you have a bed for tonight and tomorrow we'll see." Very unprofessional. They didn't seem to communicate with each other. Dishes in the kitchen were disgusting and dirty. The showers were not very warm and bursts of cold water came out. Location was also inconvenient as you had to take a bus or train to get to see any of the sights of Glasgow. Not impressed.

• 16th Jun 2015

First of all I think they did not have changed the sheets of my bed. I am pretty sure about that because I found a lot of hair and stains. Second point is about value for money. We paid a reasonable price but still have to pay 2 pounds to leave a bag before check in and the same amount after check out even if it is for few hours between check out and your flight or bus (and your bag doesn't stay in a safe place). You have to pay for breakfast and for towels as well. Terrible staff.

From the moment I arrived it was a joke, didn't get my change back then tried overcharging me for a key deposit. I was followed to my room and made feel like an idiot, the next guy to check in after me was allocated the same bed. The staff are very strange. can't eat or drink in the common room and tv must be on minimal volume. The place has no vibe, don't really wanna get into everything or I won't stop. Worst hostel I've ever stayed at!!!!

Very nice clean and friendly little Hostel , ok it is a bit outside the City Centre but there are good Transport to use. You do not see much of the Staff but they are there when you need them and they also very friendly. Thanks for making my stay so nice.

the location was a little out of city center but not bad at all, only about 3 miles out and still plenty of things close by. Staff were really nice but owner seemed a little grumpy sometimes. Everything was very clean!

Staff are unorganized. Wifi does not work well, and drops if you are able to connect. Rooms are run down, walls are paper thin. Not enough outlets in the room. Have to pay extra for a key if you will be out past 11pm, also have to pay for breakfast.

Throughout my stay at Alba Hostel Glasgow, I knew I had to let others know about this gem, just 15mins away from Glasgow City Center. It is right by the Scotrail train station and buses that take you directly into the city. There are bathrooms in the dorm rooms that are spacious and have nice showers with strong water pressure. There's also a TV room downstairs with a friendly atmosphere. They do offer breakfast but you get more for your money at the restaurant around the corner. Overall, A :)

• 23rd May 2015

We were quite dissapointed with this hostel, we've been travelling around the UK staying at different hostels and so far this one has been the saddest. The place just felt run down and uncared for. The EFTPOS machine was broken, so they only took cash, they have no laundry facilites even though they advertised it (the nearest laundromat is 15 minutes away), the lockers in the rooms had broken back walls so they weren't secure and the place wasn't regularly cleaned. Also, 80p if you want tea...

The staff and location were great. Place was very dirty though.