Albatross Backpacker Inn Reviews

1 Torquay St, Kaikoura, New Zealand

Good location and very nice owners. First hostel I've been to where you have your own power sockets at your bed :) Just a bit expensive. A reading light and free/cheaper WiFi (5$ / day) would have been nice...

Only stayed for one night - but could have stayed more! The staff were so friendly and welcoming- and I really enjoyed the energy there. People were hanging out in the main room or relaxing on the deck in hammocks! I used one of their free bikes to explore Nelson, and it was perfect for riding around town! The free ice cream and chocolate pudding was delicious- got the recipe and can't wait to make it when I get back to the States!

Such a good hostel!

Overall, I had a fantastic stay at the hostel. My only negative impression from the stay is that I did not like how Ben treats the staff. He seems to be overly strict with the staff and I heard he had recently made someone cry. Of course, I do not run a hostel so I don't know how severe an owner should be with his staff, but it did sour my experience and I am not sure that I would come back as a result, even though the rest of the stay was perfect.

very nice staff friendly backpack

• 12th Dec 2015

It's a very clean hostel with a nice relaxing atmosphere. The stuff is friendly and always helpful. From time to time they do a big BBQ just for a donation. Unfortunately there was not enough sound insolation between our room and the other rooms and bathrooms. I experienced that in other hostels too, But this time not even my ear plugs helped. Maybe I was just unlucky with that room. And there is wifi but you have to pay 5 NZ $ for 24 hours. But nevertheless i would stay there again.

Very friendly and welcoming hostel in a perfect location for seeing all the sights of Kaikoura. Staff were lovely; helpful & knowledgeable. Facilities were really good and the free bike/game/book use was a bonus. Would definitely stay here again if in the area, and recommend it to other travellers.

This was the BEST hostel. I just adored it. Katy was SO kind and helpful. Great vibes, funky art, musical instruments, nice kitchen. Free bikes and occasional free goodies. I would absolutely recommend this place. My only suggestion would be perhaps add lockers to the rooms.

very nice, easy going place to relax and make new friends. i especially liked the hostel's focus on sustainability and the music-play-living-room.

After staying in around a dozen hostels in NZ, this was definitely the best (and we stayed in some really nice ones elsewhere). The owners are really friendly and super helpful. The hostel is well equipped and the cleanest we have stayed in. There are loads of extras you can take advantage of including bicycles, garden sports equipment, hair driers etc. We also really appreciated the folders containing local info that were put together by the owners. Would highly recommend!

A fantastic hostel. One of the best I've stayed in. Ben and Katie were so lovely and friendly. The communal areas are warm and inviting, artwork, a piano, guitars, and a painting corner and lots of comfy sofas and tables. Kitchen was clean and perfect. Katie even made the most amazing cupcakes for everyone to eat and they provided a free BBQ for everyone staying which was relaxed and delicious. All round incredible atmosphere. Would stay again in a heartbeat. (Also clean and comfy beds)

Ben did everything to keep everyone happy, such a charming man. Other workers there at the moment we're very sociable and the young lady who cooked up the minestrone ( on the house!) on that rainy day.. Superb. The hostel inspires pure relaxation. It is well placed for the walk. Listen to all recommendations as they are all excellent. The log fire, the music.. Just can't sy enough.. This place charmed me.. I hope it will charme you

This is what a Backpackers Hostel should be like - idyllic location, easy-going friendly folk, guitars and coffee in equal supply. I stayed at this Hostel at the start of a 10-day trek around South Island and it was so good that I returned on my last night. Best of all, everyone is encouraged to be part of the family. For example, we had a lovely dinner at a long table and I got to know some wonderful people from Sweden, the USA, Italy, and 'even' England!

• 14th Oct 2015
  • Northern Ireland

What a wonderful stay in a personable and friendly hostel! Rooms very cold at night though!

I loved staying at The Albatross!! Favourite hostel in New Zealand so far - got upgraded to a private double at no extra cost and all the people who were working at The Albatross were really helpful and it had a really fun community feel to it. Free tea and coffee and hot chocolate was great! Can't wait to come back!

• 8th Sep 2015

The security of this place is 0. We came to check in early, but no one was there until 3:30pm. We had to pee so we decided to go in the lounge were you check in. The bathroom was out of order so we went to the next building with all the rooms. All the doors and windows were open. We went right in and peed and left. The place reeked of pot. The website describes the bathrooms as funky, but they're really just gross. The faucets were so gooy and dirty that we had to use toilet paper to touch them.

Great hostel. Got upgraded to private room when we arrived. Really cost common room with stove fire. Good kitchen and bathroom facilities. Really friendly staff who even shared some birthday cake with us. Overall really good hostel.

Lovely little hostel with very friendly staff