Albatross Backpacker Inn Reviews

1 Torquay St, Kaikoura, New Zealand

Ben did everything to keep everyone happy, such a charming man. Other workers there at the moment we're very sociable and the young lady who cooked up the minestrone ( on the house!) on that rainy day.. Superb. The hostel inspires pure relaxation. It is well placed for the walk. Listen to all recommendations as they are all excellent. The log fire, the music.. Just can't sy enough.. This place charmed me.. I hope it will charme you

This is what a Backpackers Hostel should be like - idyllic location, easy-going friendly folk, guitars and coffee in equal supply. I stayed at this Hostel at the start of a 10-day trek around South Island and it was so good that I returned on my last night. Best of all, everyone is encouraged to be part of the family. For example, we had a lovely dinner at a long table and I got to know some wonderful people from Sweden, the USA, Italy, and 'even' England!

• 14th Oct 2015
  • Northern Ireland

What a wonderful stay in a personable and friendly hostel! Rooms very cold at night though!

I loved staying at The Albatross!! Favourite hostel in New Zealand so far - got upgraded to a private double at no extra cost and all the people who were working at The Albatross were really helpful and it had a really fun community feel to it. Free tea and coffee and hot chocolate was great! Can't wait to come back!

• 8th Sep 2015

The security of this place is 0. We came to check in early, but no one was there until 3:30pm. We had to pee so we decided to go in the lounge were you check in. The bathroom was out of order so we went to the next building with all the rooms. All the doors and windows were open. We went right in and peed and left. The place reeked of pot. The website describes the bathrooms as funky, but they're really just gross. The faucets were so gooy and dirty that we had to use toilet paper to touch them.

Great hostel. Got upgraded to private room when we arrived. Really cost common room with stove fire. Good kitchen and bathroom facilities. Really friendly staff who even shared some birthday cake with us. Overall really good hostel.

Lovely little hostel with very friendly staff

Upgraded to a twin private room at no extra charge! Nice cosy place with a great atmosphere despite it being low peak season!

This is the best hostel I have had the pleasure of staying at in New Zealand! Fantastic atmosphere, the staff are really friendly and the hostel is homely, clean, well decorated and full of music and life. I had the best three nights here and didn't want to leave. Great location, minutes from the sea, 5 minutes from the town and round the corner from the dolphin encounters. Wifi isn't free but does not matter as such a great hostel! Staying here is a must for ALL visitors to Kaikoura!!