Albatross Backpacker Inn Reviews

1 Torquay St, Kaikoura, New Zealand

I *LOVED* this hostel-my favorite in New Zealand. Starting with the warm welcome, to the clean and quaint dorm room with sitting area, to the hot shower available even after I checked out. Wish I could have stayed longer. Wonderful staff, wonderful surroundings.

10min walk into town center. Lot of long term stayers. Double bed rooms seemed to be a lot nicer than our twin room. Twin room had really cheap interior.

best hostel in NZ and one of the best i've ever stayed at!! the atmosphere here is absolutely unique. i immediately felt welcome, it was like joining a family. there's always someone around and up for games or cooking together. with 3 separate 1-storey houses there's lot's of space for eating outside or chilling in the hammock. and if you're lucky someone might do a little fire torch show in the evening. also, the free rental bikes were awesome. btw when you're in kaikoura: do the dolphin swim!

Must stay here!!

I stayed in the family room (two sets of bunks) and the layout was a bit weird, the only mirror was blocked by on the the beds. The room was smallish so with more then 2 people it would get crowded. One of the bathrooms in the second house was closed so everyone was left using 1 bathroom. The common room is a normal size but when the weather is bad and chases everyone inside there is not enough room. The owner checked us in and was extremely nice and informative about the local activities.

hippie hostel

The setting and ambience of this hostel was amazing. It was chilled and welcoming and everything you could ask for, for a few relaxing days by the sea. The owner was fantastic. He advised on things to do locally, printed out booking confirmations for me and let me use the showers and store my bags in the safe after checking out. Strongly recommend this hostel.

best hostel in town. super friendly staff. free real eco coffee. kitchen with good pans and knifes. would stay there again

Brilliant hostel. This is the second time I have stayed here, and the atmosphere is unlike anywhere else. Kaikoura itself is such a beautiful place, and the Albatross is a perfect place to base yourself. The staff are all wonderful, and the place is very clean. Very highly recommended.