Albatross Reviews

51 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

bed was very springy and then not very confortable...We could feel all the sprung...!

• 25th Jul 2015

No lockers, which is a pretty big deal. Other than that, it's great.

• 22nd Jul 2015

The Albatross was everything I needed for a one night stay. The lounge was a nice little hideout, excellent tea and coffee making facilities, and opposite the best noodle bar ever! Only issues were the door to my room, which was temptemental so could sorted for future users of that room, and I couldnt connect my tablet to the wifi. Other than that, i'll be staying here again!

• 18th Jul 2015

Great location, staff were very nice, very clean, lovely showers/toilets and felt secure.

A great hostel which is conveniently located and very clean. Highly recommended!

The rooms were a good size, and the bunk beds were unusual as the bottom bunks were extra wide. The bathroom and toilets were clean and modern, although you couldn't adjust the shower temperature - so it did seem a bit too hot for me. The rooms would benefit from having at least one chair, but the common room and outside area were very nice. Wifi only works on the lounge, but did seem fast. I don't think there were lockers in the room unless I'm remembering wrong. Overall a nice place!

Overall and since it's in the UK, it's a good hostel. The lack of lockers however it's a huge problem, I had no issues but was extra careful and knew this fact in advance, so basically left many valuables at home. The facilities however are very good. There's a common area, a terrace and a basement that makes meeting other travelers relatively easy. On the weekends you might find stag groups in the hostel as well, so expect it! The location could not be better, and the staff was nice and helpful

Clean central location can not ask for anymore very good value for money

• 10th Jul 2015

The staff were friendly and very happy to assist with luggage and allowing me to shower after checking out as I was doing the Gateshead 10km run that day.

This is a very large hostel with plenty of space for everybody and a high standard of cleanliness. Equipped to a good standard.Located right in the city centre. Downsides were a long trek to the toilets from my room and a rather irksome requirement( for a British national travelling around the U.K) for passport/ drivers licence I.D.I can't drive and a passport is a valuable document. Could alternatives be listed on the info sheet? A decent place on the whole, though.

Location is good and close to railway station. Also hotel staff are very friendly. I'd like to stay again.

This hostel was amazingly located for both sightseeing and nightlife, right on the main street. The common room and kitchen were great for cooking your own meal and hanging out/ pre drinking before going out. However, the wifi only worked in this room and not the bedrooms, which was a little annoying. There were also NO lockers in the rooms and you had to leave important things at reception and ask for them every time you wanted them (which the staff never seemed thrilled about doing).

I had stayed on the second floor of the hostel and the Wi-Fi does not work up there. Other than that everything was great. The showers and bathrooms are very clean and the staff were very friendly.

• 19th Jun 2015
  • Scotland

Dead central, very clean, tidy, and full of friendly people... I didn't actually ask about security, but I know that my bags were in a 12 person room without anything to prevent people from rooting around them. Your staff are great, really, but in terms of atmosphere I think I arrived at a bit of a lull in clientèle, so it wasn't as booming as I had been hoping. I felt as though 16.50 pounds was a bit steep for a 12 person male/female dorm room, but beggars can't be choosers.

• 8th Jun 2015

Had a really good night in Newcastle for my Hen do, the hostel was great couldn't fault it, if you are like myself and are easily pleased then it's the place for you. The hostel exceeded my expectation apart from the customer service I found could have been better, I found that some of the staff were quite "Stand offish" which I can understand, because I bet this hostel can get rowdy at times which isn't nice for them but don't tarnish everyone with the same brush.

• 6th Jun 2015

The location was great, really central but I expected a nicer hotel for the amount I paid! The staff were lovely so thankyou for that.

The staff was extremely helpful in finding places to see and things to do they. The woman at the front deck was also very helpful in booking us another night when out transportation fell through that morning and see had to stay in Newcastle for one more night.

Nothing going on during the week with minimal people! In a great location easy walk to both Bus and Train stations

Turned up with bikes without checking but they managed to find a space. Staff from different hostels don't have the same knowledge as regular staff though.

• 4th Jun 2015
  • Scotland

Much larger than I expected but the facilities and people were fine and it was nicely close to the train station.

« first « Prev 1 2 3