Albatross Reviews

51 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

The hostel was in a great central location and the staff were very friendly. Fee wi-fi was a bonuse but the downside for me was the bed and showers. The bed was like sleeping on a plank of wood and the pillow was so pathetic it may as well have not been there. The shower was cold and couldn't be warmed up in anyway no matter what I did. Bit of a let down ad the hostel seemed pretty good aside from these faults.

I would definitely recommend staying at the Albatross... We went for my 21st birthday, location was close to everything

• 12th Jul 2014

I stayed midweek when it was fairly quiet for one night. Friendly and helpful staff, very clean, good facilities and great value.

• 8th Jul 2014

Although the location is perfect and the rooms in general are nice, the mattresses where hell to sleep in and it was too noisy. I shared the room with the only people who hadn't come to Newcastle to party, but it didn't make a difference, since you could still hear people shouting two rooms away. I didn't get much sleep or rest on the three nights that I stayed there, but I already expected that because it was Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, it's a hostel and the city has a reputation.

I really liked that hostel! The bathroom and the kitchen was clean. There's service 24h/24, that is good when you forget your key in the dorm late at night! ;)

Couldn't ask for a better location!

• 14th Jun 2014

It doesn't have the atmosphere of some of the smaller hostels, but it's got great location (mini supermarket directly opposite) and the price is right. Nice place.

• 9th Jun 2014

Big spacious bedrooms, big bathrooms, quality showers. Spacious and comfortable communal areas. All very clean. Free luggage storage. Great location. Great staff Definitely on the expensive side at 23 pounds per night. No lockers in my room.

Can't fault the location, however was disappointed by the amount of noise within the hostel late at night. I understand Newcastle is a party place, I myself was actually there for a wedding, however, it would have been nice if there was actually an effort made by the hostel to control noise of guests from a certain time. Being told when you check in that Friday and Saturday nights are noisey and to basically deal with it, is not helpful.

Pretty basic, but not bad. Rooms didn't have lockers which was a pain. Beds were NOT comfortable. However, kitchen was good, was very well located and atmosphere was alright as there were lots of people staying here and lots of hens and stag do's etc. Overall I'd rate it as ok

Beware of the sprawling seafarers.

High quality beds, nice rooms, very nice bathrooms, and a really great location. Would definitely stay again. Everything was clean, and the lounge area was comfortable and spacious.

Location is perfect! Only slight thing is that we booked a room sleeping 4 people, and ended in a room sleeping 6 (hence had people not in our company staying with us)

• 17th May 2014
  • Scotland

I only stayed for one night, and it mostly seemed alright. It is pretty much a party hostel and I got stuck with some fairly inconsderate roommates who, after arriving back late proceeded to talk for ages and leave the light on so that was pretty annoying. If you're going out yourself, or your roommates are alright then it would be a good hostel.

Nice Location and lovely staff, However place has no character at all, zero interaction with other travellers, either any activity to do organized by hostel. Missing a pub crawl not only in THe hostel, there is none in the whole town. I Think is great place to go with many friends, but not for solo travellers like me, but I Think Also is problem of THe city not of THe hostel. I Will come again, is not THe best but better than others in town as I read.

Friendly staff, a good common room though it never had a great atmosphere to it. Good kitchen, had all the necessities in it. Clean, but room had no lockers. Bathrooms were really good, and location was excellent.

Brilliant location but one of the evening receptionists is extremely rude and unhelpful. Unlike any other hostel I have stayed in there was no atmosphere at all we barely saw another guest even though the hostel was full.

• 2nd May 2014

Great place to stay; location, staff and facilities were all flawless.

• 2nd May 2014
  • Wales
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Right in the city centre but still a bit pricey. The staff were great and helpful in storing my luggage (but did the whole 'we can't responsibility for loses' thing). The walls were thin but it really wasn't that noisy - no sound of traffic just that of people. The beds were reasonably comfortable but squeaky as hell. The showers and toilets were good and clean, the lounge and kitchen was cool but the furniture was uncomfortable, they also had bread and tea but it was the cheapest stuff.

• 1st May 2014

Hallo,I spent four days at the Albatros hostel and in my opinion the staff were very professional and friendly and the location is excellent.

• 1st May 2014