Albatross Reviews

51 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Awful miserable staff, horrible basic room, not enough light to put make up on in the room, toilets miles away.

• 22nd May 2015
  • Wales

Excellent hostel. Super clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Perfect location in the city centre. We walked everywhere for the whole weekend and very easy to find from Monument metro station. Would definitely stay here again. Would be nice to have lockers in room, but can't complain otherwise. Showers were great too.

• 21st May 2015

Great staff that are friendly and helpful, perfect location within minites of everything and extremely clean facilities. Lacked atmosphere however you can find a buzzing bar anywhere in Newcastle.

Well located, nice kitchen and an awesome chill-out room.

Hostel was super clean and centrally located being only a 5 min walk to train station. Kitchen provided free coffee which was very nice in he am. Staff was very friendly and knowledgeable. My only 2 complaints are not having Internet in the rooms. You have to go to kitchen and lounge area for wifi. The other thing is that the private hostel was a bunk bed in a fairly small room. I just feel like with a private you should get a bit more space. One of the bunk beds was a full and the top a twin.

Security was a bit light, the only place to lock your belongings is at the front check in. They also have this really stingy "group" policy where if you have more than 3 people you have to pay for all the beds in a room. In a 10 bedroom dorm that makes no sense. I understand in a 6 bedroom dorm (you are occupying half the beds), but otherwise it's a bit extreme.

• 9th May 2015

This is a great place to stay. Good city centre location, self catering facilities at the hostel and very clean. Good value for money as well.

Very nice hostel. The staff are really nice. It was a little hard g people since it was a kind of slow weekend. But overall I lovloved my stay. The location is as cloe to perfect as you can get.

Excellent hostel right in the heart of the City, I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Good central location.

• 18th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Through our stay there was several times no toilet paper in the toilet. The location was great and the staff was friendly.

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Norway

Very friendly staff

• 12th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Really good budget hostel, easy to get everywhere from in the city centre. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The reason I've only rated security as 'average' is because there are no lockers in the dorms. However, I never felt that my stuff was unsafe, and they have a locker in the reception area if needed. Great place - would stay again.

Bathrooms very far away from rooms. Useless wardrobe as there are not shelves or hangers in there. Our wardrobe also blocked the ladder up to the second bed. Still a nice hostel, very friendly staff, good internet connection, great atmosphere in the communal area.

• 9th Apr 2015
  • Austria

Stayed at Albatross on a Monday night - expected more people since it was Easter weekend after all but the place was very quiet. Bed was really comfy but rooms were very plain otherwise - there were no lockers in the room but I had the room for myself so I didn't mind. The bathrooms were a bit worn down and the shower temperature seemed to be stuck on "Scalding Hot".

Great location. Easy 5 minute walk to bus or train stations. Rooms are big and well equipped. Does tend to attract big groups so perhaps not the place for you if you're after a quiet place to hide away. Otherwise, I definitely recommend!

I only stayed one night, but this hostel was pretty nice. Great location and helpful staff. I would have appreciated power outlets by the beds and lockers in the rooms, and the mattresses were pretty uncomfortable. Unfortunately I lost my five dollar deposit for the key, since mine mysteriously disappeared in the night, which was a bummer but not the fault of the hostel obviously. Overall a good hostel, but not the best I have stayed in.

Everything was perfect! If I ever come back to Newcastle I'll stay in this hostel again! One of the best hostels I've ever been.

I only stayed one night and the hostel was almost empty but it was very comfortable and clean. The staff were really nice and helpful. Kitchen and bathrooms very good. Had a lounge and hangout areas. The only downside is there were no lockers in the rooms. Would definitely recommend!

The rooms were quite cold and should be equipped with better heating.

• 28th Mar 2015