Albatross Reviews

51 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Everyone at the albatross were really helpful and friendly. They made our stay really enjoyable. I would definitely recommend. I will definitely be returning.

• 13th Dec 2014

The air in the hostel felt very clean and fresh, that was my first impression :) Also as I stayed there on a winter midweek day it was quiet and peaceful so I was very pleased. The bedding was snow-white clean and neatly ironed. The bathrooms were well heated. Great stay :)

£25 for a bunk bed in a big dorm is a lot. Most of the place felt cold and I couldn't get the heater in the room to stay on. No lockers- not good. Bedrooms decent size. lack of toilets and long way from some of the rooms. Worst thing was the incredible noise at night like elephants dancing above my head. Admittedly i was working, so staying in a party hostel isn't always good idea but I expected some respite. Went on non stop till 6am Best thing was the helpful and friendly staff and locale

Will be booking back here next time were in newcastle,really good hostle and right on the main street so no taxis needed for the shopping center and night life

• 29th Nov 2014

dont stay here, unless you want to end your life.

• 25th Nov 2014

I think the staff is really amazing. However, the fact that the room was smelling alcohol because of few girls who probably drunk it before I came in was a bit disturbing as I was really tired. It can be explained as I arrived around 23.30 after a long trip and then from the airport but the cleanliness was not as I expected to be, but once again, it is the fault of the customers, not the hostel itself.

• 16th Nov 2014

The staff had barely said hello and they were saying you cant do this you cant do that. Looking for extra bond money I felt like I was back in school. I myself am a teacher and I wouldn't talk to my students in this way. We had to go down 2 flights of stairs and up another to use the bathroom. No towels were provided and this was after paying €40 a head. I didn't feel like a customer I felt like a prisoner. Trying to get the receptionist to ring us a taxi was of course a problem too.

• 15th Nov 2014

Overall, very satisfied.Clean, great location, very quiet mid week. FREE tea, coffee & toast! Wasn't impressed when asked what they could recommend for us to see in Newcastle, the receptionist answered 'there's nothing to do in Newcastle but drink; people don't come here for tourist reasons'. I'd had this in other hostels too, and really think if you work in a hostel you should be able to point out the interesting features of the city ie. Life Centre, Quayside, Grainger Market, 2 Cathedrals etc

Not Very friendly staff. Otherwise was good.

Would have preferred if the room was en-suite but otherwise excellent.

• 1st Nov 2014
  • Scotland

The £20 deposit for being a group was very annoying considering we booked separately and were in different rooms. I could be wrong as well, but we had no option to disclose that we were a group so there was nothing we could have done. We got the £20 back because we didn't cause any trouble, but it didn't really seem fair.

• 31st Oct 2014

The reception staff were really friendly and helpful. Would definitely come again in a large group. Perfect location, couldn't be closer to the action. And rooms of a decent, clean size.

• 25th Oct 2014

Great location. But everything else was quite average (nothing special about the place), so given the price you pay I expected more. Drunken party people on a Saturday night including people who ate a kebab and chatted in the room at 3am made it impossible to sleep.

Friendly staff and ideal location but there was a really horrible smell in the hostel, and the bed sheets also smelt odd. Not a pleasant stay because of that.

• 12th Oct 2014

Dear Caitlin, please accept our appologies for the unpleasant experiences you had while staying with us. As a matter of fact there was a drainage problem next door to the Albatross that effected us directly. We took immediate action after discovering and it was resolved the very next morning. There was nothing we could have done to prevent this happening. Regarding the bed linen we change it all once the guests have checked out. Cleanliness has always been one of our priorities.

The hotel staff were lovely and really helpful, the facilities were your bog standard hostel but it was clean and quiet, perfect for a cheap night passing through newcastle.

A very good hostel. Freindly staff.

Went for stag wiv 16 lads staying. Perfect location as just around the corner from The Gate. Rooms were dead on

A good hostel, with decent amenities. The whole facility is overall very clean and seems to be well looked after. Nice and quiet with the exception of the hand-dryers in the bathrooms that did wake me up a couple of times as my room was nearby. I think this is the only hostel i've stayed in that didn't have lockers in the rooms/nearby to secure valuables. Overall though, a good hostel in a good location with friendly/helpful staff. I would stay here again if i were to return to Newcastle.

Really good facilities and common room area. The location is very close to the night spots of Newcastle. It is expensive to stay here, especially on weekends.

Very clean and near the city center. I did have some trouble finding it due to scaffolding blocking the sign outside. Would stay here again if I return to Newcastle.

« first « Prev 1 2 3