Albatross Reviews

51 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Staff were rude and unhelpful our electricity in the room went off and they tried blaming it on us and threatened to take our deposits when it was an electrical fault just not a nice experience plus there were no toilets on our floor so had to go down two flights of stairs to use the toilets. As well there were security cameras everywhere literally watching your every move felt very seedy

• 12th Apr 2014

Super spot right where you want to be in town Close enough to the clubs & bars and to St.James for the football. Thanks very much!

• 5th Apr 2014

In bathroom: it would be helpful if there would be something to hang-up a towel when you have a shower, inside the cabin. And something to put the shower gel on, otherwise you have to put it on the floor. Plug socket in the bathroom, for drying hair.

• 1st Apr 2014

Great place to stay.

Very central location and staff were friendly. Place was clean and perfect for the price. Was a little nosy at night due to drunken customers that were staying at the hostel at the time but nothing serious.

The walls in the rooms are very thin. So people can be heard easily. We had a couple of talkative neighbors but the staff was kind enough to ask them to be quiet for us.

Not the best for solo travellers. Bit pricey. Facilities are good (kitchen has oven (i think), stove, but needs a few more pots and pans). Free pool is a nice touch, pity no one goes down there. Top location. Crowd can be hit and miss, there's a few long stay people and a few of the older variety. NOT a YOUTH dedicated hostel, but generally pretty youthful just expect the odd buzz kill.

The staff were amazingly helpful, especially when faced with an unexpected crisis. Thanks for all of their help!

Friendly staff and it was an easy stay.

• 15th Mar 2014

Went there as a group for the night in town. Staff were so nice, one of the girls had a bad experience on her night out and they guy who was on did more than what you expect to help her out. Only thing was the one full length mirror between 8 girls, some just got ready in the shower room instead (which was clean), and the 2 plug socket (8 girls all needing to charge phones plus using hair tools) luckily read this beforehand and brought and extender. Nice place to just chill in lounge, thankyou

• 15th Mar 2014

I booked a 4 bedroom stay, but upon arrival I was told my booking has been transferred to a 10 bedroom at no reduction of price. I booked the 4 bedroom as I was a lone traveler hoping for a peaceful night sleep, the room I was put into was full of people going out on the town so my sleep was disturbed numerous times that night. There was only 1 plug socket in the room so charging my phone was difficult. The internet only worked in the kitchen area.

Booked a 4-bed dorm. After checking in and paying I went to the room and found it was a 10-bed dorm. When I went to reception to ask why I was in the wrong room they told me a "crazy" member of staff had changed my room and forgotten to tell me. I was told there were no spaces in a 4-bed dorm but at least it was a female only one. The door did not close properly. Toilets were up two flights of stairs. I cancelled my last night with over 24 hours notice. Hostel said it would refund me but hasn't.

get some lockers

• 15th Feb 2014

I have stayed at this hostel before. Nice atmospheric building. I was there on a Saturday night and was worried since Newcastle is such a party town, however the lounge area of the hostel is in the basement and the dorms are upstairs, so this was no problem. Big kitchen, free wi-fi, all good.

I've travelled around quite a few hostels and considering this was the number 1 hostel in England I was really disappointed. There were no lockers in the rooms at all, one set on power plugs for a dorm of 6, and nowhere to hang your towel when you had a shower. A guy in my room had a key card that worked for multiple rooms, less than ideal. No hair dryers or breakfast and thought the hostel wasn't particularly clean either. Massive issues with group check in and deposits. Wouldn't recommend.

We do have lockers for either baggage or valuables in reception. We also have hairdryers, iron, ironboard and hairstraiteners in reception too. Just a question of asking! Anybody staying with us can help themselves at any given time to FREE toast, coffee and tea etc.. It is impossible that any other guest has a masterkey. The keys are cut just for the room the individual stays in. It is correct the the key will let you into the main door but nowhere else. Regards, The Albatross

The hostel staff were all very friendly and very helpful. It was a lovely atmosphere and the rooms were to a great standard. the rooms could have used with a couple extra plug sockets though (room of 10 people, only 2 plug sockets). Cooking facilities were great, with a lot of dining space. We would all definitely stay there again.

• 17th Jan 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

I have to say, this is the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. The only good thing about Albatross is its proximity to the train station. Its downsides include: No other light in the room besides the main one. Only two power sockets to be shared in a 6 bed dormitory. Washing machine not cleaning clothes. Drying machines not working. Staff ignorant about the situation and kept telling me 'there is nothing she can do to help me', upper bunk be too low hence squashing people in the lower bunk, etc.

Hi, We are very sorry that you had such bad experience staying with us.The bunk beds are up to standard and regulations for running a Backpackers Hostel. The staff was not able to help you with the washing machine and dryer because the company with all our maintanance staff where still on a New Years break. We needed to have a qualified electrician to have a look at electrical appliances. Staff is not aloud to touch it for the reasons of Health and Safety of our guests.

The only complaint I would have is upon arrival we were told that not only did we need to pay a £5 key deposit which was stated on the booking email we each had to pay an additional £20 deposit which we did not budget for. When I questioned they stated that they had sent emails regarding this deposit but I have since checked and there were no such emails. Other than that stay was good, hostel is in fantastic location.

• 31st Dec 2013

hostel was very clean and tidy, staff were welcoming and friendly, location was fantastic close to big market and surrounding bars and clubs was within walking distance of train station. rooms were very basic as expected and beds were comfy. cant fault it. would stay here again and highly recomend it.

• 30th Dec 2013
  • Scotland

The hostel was very clean, with nice common areas to chill and chat. The staffs were very helpful as well.

View all Newcastle upon Tyne Hostels