Albatross Reviews

51 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

This is very central. The entire operation is clearly well thought out and professional. I stayed on a Wednesday in February so the place was quiet. I suspect it could get very lively at weekends as it is so well located. That said it is evry well set up and run.

Very nice staff, people in the dorm were also very considerate when coming back late not to make to much noise, which was nice as well. Possibility to leave valuable items in the safes at the reception for free is an excellent thing. Only small issues were with shower (took at least 5min to heat up, was then burning... and no possibility to block on the flow), toilets were incredibly dirty during the night (but clean when arrived), and the heating went off as well during the night.

only down fall was there was no toilet or sink in room. loved my stay. ideal for a weekend away with your friends!

• 21st Feb 2015
  • Scotland

Absolutely brilliant, cellar with a free pool table was like our own private pub, staff were happy to allow friends of ours to come in and predrink with us (they weren't staying at the hostel). We had a 10 bedroom dorm which was very simple but worked out good because there's nothing to break when you come back absolutely stonked.

• 6th Feb 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Showers were luke warm, mirrors in bedroom ridiculous! Staff friendly!

• 31st Jan 2015

Perfect location to visit the city and to take any transport to go outer. The hostel is a very good stay for different ranges of age. the unique thing should be improved is the room heating. You can manually set it but when in temperature it switch off and you should manually restart it. If you are sleeping it's not possible. So because of the lenght of the blanket doesn't cover all the person you have to choose if you want to wake up with cold feet or cold nose

The only problem I had was getting the heater to work. It was a bit fidgety and my room was very cold. Other than that, it's in a great location, friendly staff, and I'd recommend it to a friend.

The hostel is really good value for money. The location is really good and everything is in walking distance from the hostel. The only negative thing I would say is that there is a lack of cutlery in the kitchen and there were no labels for food in the fridge, meaning that some of out food was eaten. I also found that one of the night staff was really unnecessarily rude after we got back from a night out. It is also VERY noisy, but we kind of expected that from the reviews we read.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • British Indian Ocean Territory

Great location and friendly staff. Some loud noice in the evening when people come back from city - most of the time I was alone in the dorm and got my sleep anyway. In my point of view it is closer and more easy to find the hostel from the Central Station than fMounument

If only I cou handle with snoring roommates, everything would be perfect

• 20th Dec 2014
  • Thailand

My stay in this hostel was superb. I reached Newcastle early in the morning and the staff allowed me for an early check in. I really appreciate that. I came to Newcastle for the ISENC conference. The location is near the Northumbria University. However, the staff did not let me stay after 10 pm on my last day. My bus back to London was at 11.45 pm. So, I had to stay in the coach station in very chilly Newcastle weather for almost 2 hours.

• 16th Dec 2014
  • Malaysia

Everyone at the albatross were really helpful and friendly. They made our stay really enjoyable. I would definitely recommend. I will definitely be returning.

• 13th Dec 2014

The air in the hostel felt very clean and fresh, that was my first impression :) Also as I stayed there on a winter midweek day it was quiet and peaceful so I was very pleased. The bedding was snow-white clean and neatly ironed. The bathrooms were well heated. Great stay :)

£25 for a bunk bed in a big dorm is a lot. Most of the place felt cold and I couldn't get the heater in the room to stay on. No lockers- not good. Bedrooms decent size. lack of toilets and long way from some of the rooms. Worst thing was the incredible noise at night like elephants dancing above my head. Admittedly i was working, so staying in a party hostel isn't always good idea but I expected some respite. Went on non stop till 6am Best thing was the helpful and friendly staff and locale

A very good hostel with atmosphere.

Will be booking back here next time were in newcastle,really good hostle and right on the main street so no taxis needed for the shopping center and night life

• 29th Nov 2014

dont stay here, unless you want to end your life.

• 25th Nov 2014

I think the staff is really amazing. However, the fact that the room was smelling alcohol because of few girls who probably drunk it before I came in was a bit disturbing as I was really tired. It can be explained as I arrived around 23.30 after a long trip and then from the airport but the cleanliness was not as I expected to be, but once again, it is the fault of the customers, not the hostel itself.

• 16th Nov 2014

The staff had barely said hello and they were saying you cant do this you cant do that. Looking for extra bond money I felt like I was back in school. I myself am a teacher and I wouldn't talk to my students in this way. We had to go down 2 flights of stairs and up another to use the bathroom. No towels were provided and this was after paying €40 a head. I didn't feel like a customer I felt like a prisoner. Trying to get the receptionist to ring us a taxi was of course a problem too.

• 15th Nov 2014

Overall, very satisfied.Clean, great location, very quiet mid week. FREE tea, coffee & toast! Wasn't impressed when asked what they could recommend for us to see in Newcastle, the receptionist answered 'there's nothing to do in Newcastle but drink; people don't come here for tourist reasons'. I'd had this in other hostels too, and really think if you work in a hostel you should be able to point out the interesting features of the city ie. Life Centre, Quayside, Grainger Market, 2 Cathedrals etc

View all Newcastle upon Tyne Hostels