Albatross Reviews

51 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Excellent hostel right in the heart of the City, I'd definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Good central location.

• 18th Apr 2015
  • Scotland

Really good budget hostel, easy to get everywhere from in the city centre. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The reason I've only rated security as 'average' is because there are no lockers in the dorms. However, I never felt that my stuff was unsafe, and they have a locker in the reception area if needed. Great place - would stay again.

Bathrooms very far away from rooms. Useless wardrobe as there are not shelves or hangers in there. Our wardrobe also blocked the ladder up to the second bed. Still a nice hostel, very friendly staff, good internet connection, great atmosphere in the communal area.

• 9th Apr 2015
  • Austria

Stayed at Albatross on a Monday night - expected more people since it was Easter weekend after all but the place was very quiet. Bed was really comfy but rooms were very plain otherwise - there were no lockers in the room but I had the room for myself so I didn't mind. The bathrooms were a bit worn down and the shower temperature seemed to be stuck on "Scalding Hot".

I only stayed one night, but this hostel was pretty nice. Great location and helpful staff. I would have appreciated power outlets by the beds and lockers in the rooms, and the mattresses were pretty uncomfortable. Unfortunately I lost my five dollar deposit for the key, since mine mysteriously disappeared in the night, which was a bummer but not the fault of the hostel obviously. Overall a good hostel, but not the best I have stayed in.

Everything was perfect! If I ever come back to Newcastle I'll stay in this hostel again! One of the best hostels I've ever been.

I only stayed one night and the hostel was almost empty but it was very comfortable and clean. The staff were really nice and helpful. Kitchen and bathrooms very good. Had a lounge and hangout areas. The only downside is there were no lockers in the rooms. Would definitely recommend!

The rooms were quite cold and should be equipped with better heating.

• 28th Mar 2015

Really nice hostel, very clean with a nice arty theme to the kitchen, great facilities and friendly staff. My main concern was that I would be too cold so was very happy to see adjustable heating in my room. Nice to have the free tea and coffee as I can't do anything unless I have eaten in the morning! Also good to have the lounge area. Overall very happy- thank you.

Clean hostel, large airy dorm, female, bathrooms round the corner. Good kitchen, free tea/coffee, bread with marg and small milk things in the fridge. Lovely lounge with comfy sofas and big tv. Good wifi throughout, friendly staff, good location just up from the train station with shops and eateries close by. Bit of a party hostel esp on Saturday night but quiet in the dorm. A bit expensive at £25 a night but it was weekend. Would recommend it.

Honestly don't know how this got the rating of #1 English Hostel. I stayed in a far nicer one in Whitby. Shower is terrible (basically a trickle of water). And why have tea and toast if you have nothing to put on toast? And only fake milk for tea? Very clean though, no matter what time.

This is very central. The entire operation is clearly well thought out and professional. I stayed on a Wednesday in February so the place was quiet. I suspect it could get very lively at weekends as it is so well located. That said it is evry well set up and run.

Really couldn't fault this place!

• 21st Feb 2015
  • Scotland

Very nice staff, people in the dorm were also very considerate when coming back late not to make to much noise, which was nice as well. Possibility to leave valuable items in the safes at the reception for free is an excellent thing. Only small issues were with shower (took at least 5min to heat up, was then burning... and no possibility to block on the flow), toilets were incredibly dirty during the night (but clean when arrived), and the heating went off as well during the night.

only down fall was there was no toilet or sink in room. loved my stay. ideal for a weekend away with your friends!

• 21st Feb 2015
  • Scotland

Absolutely brilliant, cellar with a free pool table was like our own private pub, staff were happy to allow friends of ours to come in and predrink with us (they weren't staying at the hostel). We had a 10 bedroom dorm which was very simple but worked out good because there's nothing to break when you come back absolutely stonked.

• 6th Feb 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Showers were luke warm, mirrors in bedroom ridiculous! Staff friendly!

• 31st Jan 2015

Perfect location to visit the city and to take any transport to go outer. The hostel is a very good stay for different ranges of age. the unique thing should be improved is the room heating. You can manually set it but when in temperature it switch off and you should manually restart it. If you are sleeping it's not possible. So because of the lenght of the blanket doesn't cover all the person you have to choose if you want to wake up with cold feet or cold nose

The only problem I had was getting the heater to work. It was a bit fidgety and my room was very cold. Other than that, it's in a great location, friendly staff, and I'd recommend it to a friend.

View all Newcastle upon Tyne Hostels