Albatross Reviews

51 Grainger Street, Newcastle upon Tyne, England

Right in the city centre. Lots of nightlife outside but not too noisy in the quiet wing of the hostel.

• 23rd Aug 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

This was a great place to stay! It's right in the middle of the action with great pubs and clubs around the corner. The main shopping section and restaurants were only a block or 2 walk! So close! The rooms are big and clean and there is a heater to keep warm. I was very happy with this place!!

• 22nd Aug 2014

The hostel is well located, near the station, near the centre and near the shops. The hostel is very very clean. The staff at the reception most of the time is not cordial and professional. The breakfast is not good at all.

• 15th Aug 2014

The hostel is near the station and well located. It's near shops. You can leave your luggage in one room if you arrive earlier than check in time and behind the reception there are lockers for other belongings (not in the rooms). The showers are good. I was not convinced by the breakfast though.

The two female staff members who checked in my party of five on 2/8/14 at just after 3pm were absolutely appalling. They were incredibly rude, unhelpful and considering they are working in customer service their attitude and manners were disgraceful. I assumed payment would be deducted automatically two weeks prior but it didn't. Be wary, they will cancel your booking with no notification (or reminder emails that they claimed to have sent to me reminding to pay the remaining balance).

Good location in Newcastle and good kitchen facilities.

The hostel is super central, very close to the main station. That's excellent! Rooms are very nice, good kitchen, very nice lounge.

• 1st Aug 2014
  • Switzerland

The hostel was in a great central location and the staff were very friendly. Fee wi-fi was a bonuse but the downside for me was the bed and showers. The bed was like sleeping on a plank of wood and the pillow was so pathetic it may as well have not been there. The shower was cold and couldn't be warmed up in anyway no matter what I did. Bit of a let down ad the hostel seemed pretty good aside from these faults.

I would definitely recommend staying at the Albatross... We went for my 21st birthday, location was close to everything

• 12th Jul 2014

I stayed midweek when it was fairly quiet for one night. Friendly and helpful staff, very clean, good facilities and great value.

• 8th Jul 2014

Although the location is perfect and the rooms in general are nice, the mattresses where hell to sleep in and it was too noisy. I shared the room with the only people who hadn't come to Newcastle to party, but it didn't make a difference, since you could still hear people shouting two rooms away. I didn't get much sleep or rest on the three nights that I stayed there, but I already expected that because it was Thursday, Friday and Saturday night, it's a hostel and the city has a reputation.

I really liked that hostel! The bathroom and the kitchen was clean. There's service 24h/24, that is good when you forget your key in the dorm late at night! ;)

Couldn't ask for a better location!

• 14th Jun 2014

It doesn't have the atmosphere of some of the smaller hostels, but it's got great location (mini supermarket directly opposite) and the price is right. Nice place.

• 9th Jun 2014

Big spacious bedrooms, big bathrooms, quality showers. Spacious and comfortable communal areas. All very clean. Free luggage storage. Great location. Great staff Definitely on the expensive side at 23 pounds per night. No lockers in my room.

Can't fault the location, however was disappointed by the amount of noise within the hostel late at night. I understand Newcastle is a party place, I myself was actually there for a wedding, however, it would have been nice if there was actually an effort made by the hostel to control noise of guests from a certain time. Being told when you check in that Friday and Saturday nights are noisey and to basically deal with it, is not helpful.

Pretty basic, but not bad. Rooms didn't have lockers which was a pain. Beds were NOT comfortable. However, kitchen was good, was very well located and atmosphere was alright as there were lots of people staying here and lots of hens and stag do's etc. Overall I'd rate it as ok

Beware of the sprawling seafarers.

High quality beds, nice rooms, very nice bathrooms, and a really great location. Would definitely stay again. Everything was clean, and the lounge area was comfortable and spacious.

Location is perfect! Only slight thing is that we booked a room sleeping 4 people, and ended in a room sleeping 6 (hence had people not in our company staying with us)

• 17th May 2014