Albergue Vila Carioca Hostel Reviews

Rua Est�cio Coimbra No 84, Botafogo, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Overpriced for what we got.

• 2nd Jul 2014

Location wise not too bad as right next to Botafogo metro so easy to get around everywhere, but Botafogo isn't the greatest part of Rio. It is a very cramped in the dorms, they've squeezed as many beds in as they can and not too many toilets/ showers for everyone to use. The staff were friendly enough, but couldn't give a great insight on what to do on nights out etc so you were very much left to go somewhere and hope it was good.

We really enjoyed our 4 day stay during the World Cup. The staff we encountered were all uber friendly and helped us with suggestions on how best to get around and places to eat at etc. breakfast was fantastic more than expected Tiny areas for improvement: - Add in extra shelves or hooks in the wash room. There is literally no place other than the toilet lid to put stuff when having a shower. - Same with the bed room - more hooks on the wall so that we could hang damp towels/bathers etc.

Moved here from Lapa which was noisy and very hectic, to this calm, cool place tucked away in a quiet street, close to Botafogo beach and well located for transport links around the city.

• 27th Jun 2014

Very nice hostel! We were there in the World Cup time and was a good experience! The location is perfect, the place is beautiful and the staff is cool (the girls from Argentina and Chile, the boys from Italy and the Manager, thanks a lot!). Just I think that needs activities or anything to improve the atmosphera between the travelers. Wonderfull hostel, I recommend 100%! =)

Love it!! I totally recommend it!

• 22nd Jun 2014
  • Colombia

I believe the best asset this hostel has is its staff, very professional and remarkably friendly, especially Alicia and Gillerme. On the other hand, I think they should improve their cleaning services and the overall aspect of the place, which looks untidy and neglected.

Good location central between Copacabana and rest of city. Nice common area, where you could meet people.

It was good.

• 14th Jun 2014
  • Chile

Great hostel in a quality location. Botafogo is a really nice area and close to Copacabana. The hostel has great common areas and the staff were really accommodating.

Fantastic location and the staff are super friendly and helpful! They also have THE best breakfast I've had in a hostel!

I only stayed here for less than 24 hours, so I feel my opinion isn't very well informed. The place seemed really great- good vibe, lots of resources and facilities. The only thing that could be improved is that, well, my room flooded during a rain!

• 10th Jun 2014

Hostel is located close to some local restaurants on Rue Nelson Mandela. Also extremely good access with the metro. Shopping mall down the road. Hostel was well maintained, staff were very helpful with suggestions of what to do and assisting in bookings. They spoke really good english.

The staf did not know anything about the visits to the Christ the redentor nor pan de azucar. The toilets and the rooms were dirty all the time even when the cleaner came by to 'clean'. The cleaners chatted all the time with the staff so I guess they did not have any time left to do their actual work. For the computers you had to pay around 3 reales but the internet did not work...

Hi, we are sorry for that and trying to improve. We hired new STAFF members and they werent so confident about giving that information, sure that now they know this information. About the cleaning was good your coment so we can show this to them and try to improve their work. About the computers i cant remeber why they were not working, usually they work fine. We invite you for another stay, we are sure that we can change this bad impression. Thanks for your review.

The staff was simply amazing. So much so that I personally overlooked the other small issues with the hostel

All in all, this place is amazing and I would recommend staying here for anyone who comes to Rio in search of a hostel. Where you stay ends up impacting your voyage a lot, and I was extremely lucky to have landed here. The best part about it is the atmosphere. Very easy to meet new people. A nice homely lobby with excellent staff. The location is really good as well- right by the metro in Botafogo, an awesome neighborhood of Rio. Good food too. Watch out for the mosquitos though.

• 5th Jun 2014

Great, friendly staff. Much quieter than many of the other hostels in Rio-which is great for me! Breakfast is bomb! Misquitos are pretty awful. They have a tree that is next to the windows and the misquitos come in at night and can make sleeping a lost cause. I would recommend big spray and earplugs(for the buzzing past you ears). I'd definitely stay here again.

It's a good hostel in a quiet neighbourhood. Very friendly staff who are willing to help you navigate in Rio. Good breakfast! We slept in the 4 bed dorm, big enough, nice decorated bathroom, beds a bit uncomfortable with the thin matresses.

It is a good place to meet people, and it is really well located. Very close to the Botafogo metro station. They need to improve the toilets, they are very small. Breakfast is just enough, not so good but it is ok. If you are confortable to sleep in a small space with 14 people, it will be ok. If not, I recommended you look for another place. For me was ok. Maybe I will be back.

We were in "deluxe private room" which hardly could be classified as "deluxe", it was small , furniture was older. I guess they labeled it this way because it has private bathroom. We went in other hostels that had much better private rooms. Air conditioner was allowed to run only after 10 PM in the evening. Wifi was hardly accessible in the room. Nice atmosphere in the main living room. Breakfast was bad Staff is English speaking, they were helpful

• 22nd Apr 2014