Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel Reviews

Schoenhauser Allee 133a, 10437, Berlin, Germany

Great hostel in a great location, right next to the U-bahn. Friendly staff.

There were big chunks of dust in our room under the beds. By the way, this is the only remark, otherwise a very good value for money hostel, which i advise to everyone.

Nice and helpful staff! love them !! Clean and tidy room. the shower is weird with transparent glass door, but it's fine as long as you lock the main shower room door.

It was my 2nd stay at Alcatraz. Evth perfect, I definitely recommend it!

We booked a non-smoking room, but I believe that smell of smoke was lingering there. Friendly and helpfull staff.

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Norway

Very clean, great place had an amazing time!

• 10th Nov 2014

Can't say enough positive things about this hostel. Perfect location, big rooms and friendly staff! An enjoyable stay all around!

• 4th Nov 2014

A good hostel with a nice kitchen at a great price.

Wonderful hostel for the weary traveller. Rather than itchy brown blankets you usually get from hostels, we had actual duvets! Staff friendly and sent us plenty of information to get to the hostel from the trains. Wasn't as central as we would have liked but the train link was only 5 minute walk away. Great that we had a double room.

• 26th Oct 2014
  • Wales

Great hostel. Would stay again and would recommend!

• 26th Oct 2014
  • Wales

Ìt was good. But for girls might be weird because the shower door is almost transparent

Decent hostel overall. Good location with some cool bars and restaurants around, metro stop and Mauer park with the Sunday flea market a few minutes walk, Alexander Platz a few metro stations away. We only spent one night and can't comment on sociability, but nice courtyard and decent common area. Wifi was fine (you have to log in with username), but iffy in the dorm. Lockers are small. Only problem was the showers which didn't drain properly, leaked and were co-ed with frosted glass stalls.

I stayed 3nights with my wife. Even though I made reservation in a very short notice price wasn't that expensive. All staff were really polite and informative.

• 5th Oct 2014
  • Mongolia

I had a great stay at Alactraz. Good beds, nice room, excellent service and friendly staff, Maybe some points for improvement: breakfast and the showers in the mixed rooms: there are two showers in the 8 bed dormitory. If you want some privacy you can obviously lock the door which leaves one showed unused for other guests. They have to wait. And in mixed rooms you might not feel comfortable to share the bathroom.

Hostel was fine. Pretty basic. Breakfast overpriced for sure, much better going elsewhere for that but everything else was fine.

Our stay was excellent. The staff were most courteous and helpful. Both the living areas and common areas were impeccably clean. The only issue that we had was that we felt that there could be a better selection of food for those who paid for the breakfast. Addition of an extra cereal would go a long way to helping this.

• 28th Sep 2014

The hostel is nice and the location is also good with a nice neighborhood with bars and restaurants.

it was amazing the atmosphere, the people the staff the location just everything! thank you a lot for the experiance! little something that bother me is that in my room the shower, sink and toilet are in the same area so its not comfortable when there is the opposite sex in the room during that someone is taking a shower... and the glass is very clear it hide nothing, suddenly i could see myself at the mirror and it was not comfortable to know

Nice place in a cool area. very helpful staff. a very good option.

I stayed at Alcatraz for 3 nights out of the 6 I spent in Berlin. The hostel is really conveniently located near public transport and there are some pretty nice bars and places to eat in the area. It's not all that close to the city centre, it took us about 40 minutes the only time we did it. The staff were all really pleasant and helpful when we needed things. Facilities were all pretty standard, and not terribly clean, but just about as good as many other hostels.