Alcatraz Backpacker Hostel Reviews

Schoenhauser Allee 133a, 10437, Berlin, Germany

Decent hostel overall. Good location with some cool bars and restaurants around, metro stop and Mauer park with the Sunday flea market a few minutes walk, Alexander Platz a few metro stations away. We only spent one night and can't comment on sociability, but nice courtyard and decent common area. Wifi was fine (you have to log in with username), but iffy in the dorm. Lockers are small. Only problem was the showers which didn't drain properly, leaked and were co-ed with frosted glass stalls.

I stayed 3nights with my wife. Even though I made reservation in a very short notice price wasn't that expensive. All staff were really polite and informative.

• 5th Oct 2014
  • Mongolia

I had a great stay at Alactraz. Good beds, nice room, excellent service and friendly staff, Maybe some points for improvement: breakfast and the showers in the mixed rooms: there are two showers in the 8 bed dormitory. If you want some privacy you can obviously lock the door which leaves one showed unused for other guests. They have to wait. And in mixed rooms you might not feel comfortable to share the bathroom.

Hostel was fine. Pretty basic. Breakfast overpriced for sure, much better going elsewhere for that but everything else was fine.

The hostel is nice and the location is also good with a nice neighborhood with bars and restaurants.

it was amazing the atmosphere, the people the staff the location just everything! thank you a lot for the experiance! little something that bother me is that in my room the shower, sink and toilet are in the same area so its not comfortable when there is the opposite sex in the room during that someone is taking a shower... and the glass is very clear it hide nothing, suddenly i could see myself at the mirror and it was not comfortable to know

Nice place in a cool area. very helpful staff. a very good option.

I stayed at Alcatraz for 3 nights out of the 6 I spent in Berlin. The hostel is really conveniently located near public transport and there are some pretty nice bars and places to eat in the area. It's not all that close to the city centre, it took us about 40 minutes the only time we did it. The staff were all really pleasant and helpful when we needed things. Facilities were all pretty standard, and not terribly clean, but just about as good as many other hostels.

Loved the size of the rooms as we were never woken up by people as there was a whole other room and bathroom was the other side of that! Really helpful staff and love the kitchen/dining room as we could use the fridge and cook. Only three stops from Alexanderplatz, a main station with connections everywhere and you do need a transport pass anyway to see everything so isn't a problem! One thing is my bed was REALLY squeaky which when in a room of 6 people is pretty annoying.

It was ok, not really worth the money. I recommend something with higher rare for the same price!

• 17th Aug 2014
  • Sweden

Floor is mopped with a smelly old mop so it smells all over the place and also noticed that if the sheets look clean they do not get changed. Everything else was good.

Hello Catrin, thank you for your feedback. We will definitely change our mop. :) Let me just explain for the sheets. There is a protective cover on every bed that is is not changed every day. However every quest gets his/her own new sheet (to put over the protective cover), when checking-in. Best wishes, the Alcatraz-Team

Great little hostel close to shops, bars, cafes etc. Heaps close to all the action but also nice and quiet. Loved the look with some great artwork on the walls. Staff were excellent; very friendly

Excellent place, great staff, large room, with a well stocked kitchen. Don't hesitate to stay here. It's a bit far from the center, but it is 2 trams away, you will be fine.

Auberge très calme , très agréable environnement très Berlinois- Auberge à recommander - hors centre mais accés facile par TRAM - Quiet place, good localisation by Tram transport - Berlin atmosphere to be recommanded

• 9th Aug 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Good price/quality ratio and very nice and helpful staff.

• 7th Aug 2014

I had a really nice stay here! The hostel was lovely and the rooms a good size. The dining area and outside patio were excellent spaces. The showers flooded and bathroom and the breakfast was a bit expensive for what it was. Other than that I had a really good time and would recommend to others definitely.

The place is central and great if you like small boutiques, cheap food and the flea market. I enjoyed the area. The staff are very helpful. I was in a 8 bedroom, which was actually split into two rooms, it is also quite spacious. It is a very cheap hostel, so there are things that are less satisfactory.

• 24th Jul 2014
  • Hong Kong

Absolutely loved our stay here! Staff were all very very helpful and gave us good places to go and how to get there. Rooms were perfect and really clean when we arrived and bathroom was cleaned regularly. Would definitely stay again!

• 24th Jul 2014
  • Scotland

Really friendly and helpful staff - reception is open until 1AM I think. Our room was nice, clean and felt really secure and safe. All the communal areas are great and there was a good atmosphere, however we found it hard to meet other travelers (compared to other hostels anyway). The location is not very central but it is in a really cute part of the city and we just loved it! There are loads of really sweet restaurants and bars around it and a tram stop and S-bahn station really close.

We only stayed one night, in a double bed suite, sharing the bathroom with one other room. Clean, spacious, no trouble with the wi-fi, free print-outs, and also directions to the best breakfast I had during my stay in Germany. Absolutely worth your cash, and probably good for longer stays as well.

« first « Prev 1 2 3