Almaa Sintra Hostel Reviews

Quinta dos Lobos, Caminho dos Frades, Sintra, Portugal

the hostel customers must come back before 12pm (no possibility to get a key to enjoy the city or have a drink in the medieval pub inside the property In addition there isn´t electricity in the room at nights to recharge your telephone or whatever. This is not said when you arrive, so probably you are without battery during next day. The hostel is located in a beautiful place, sharing a comfortable living room, big kitchen and huge gardens. Although beds have a mattress too thin, uncomfortable

• 20th Aug 2015
  • Spain

Dear Ruth, We are sorry that you have complains about Almáa. Nevertheless we should clarify your complains at least for the sake of others costumers. In fact we close the front door around midnight but as we explained at check-in you can call us at any time and we open the door. As what the electricity is concerned we do have electricity all day long everywhere. You just have to connect the electrical outlets that are in the wall. Warm regards, João

Almaa is located in a beautiful garden setting, which is quiet and about a 10 minute walk to city center. It was a very restorative place, with an option to eat vegan dinner at night (very good). The staff is wonderful, and the setting serene. My only recommendation was the bathroom was a little run down and dirty. Everything worked well. I would recommend ear plugs if you are a light sleeper, just because the walls are very thin and it is possible to hear everything inside and out.

An ideal place for parties, stag or just relax with your friends! Well conditioned, with space, alternative entertainment, and in a place very well connected, is undoubtedly a place to miss!

• 6th Aug 2015
  • Spain

Very nice atmosphere, friendly staff and a bit out from the hustle bustle of Sintra, very cool and cozy community area (living room)

I thought this was a relaxing place to stay. The shower/toilet facilities could be improved as I felt there was not much privacy. I didn't like that it was mixed gender showers with only one place to change. I also didn't like the toilet 'doors' and they didn't allow for much privacy either. The heavy curtain is kind of gross and I wondered if it had ever been washed.

It was a beautiful house in a beautiful setting

• 27th Jul 2015

The Almaa was such a beautiful building in and amazing part of Sintra. It was easy to walk into town and was so nice to be out surrounded by so much greenery. Will recommend!

• 17th Jul 2015

Such friendly staff!! Felt like family there. So safe, loving atmosphere, BEAUTIFUL gardens, there was such a good energy at this place. My travels wouldn't of been the same without staying here.

• 28th Jun 2015

An incredible experience. This is the most welcoming and relaxing hostel I've been to. Highly recommend!!

Most important thing is that I found a bed bug on me after waking up in the night. It was in the dorm room at the end of the hallway on the top floor. Staff moved me to another bed after I showed them the blood from where I´d killed the bug. They were very apologetic about the situation, but I still feel like I need to let other travellers know. This is a great hostel but I hope they take the bed bug situation seriously and get it cleaned up.

We are really sorry that this has happened to you. It was the first time we had this kind of complain and we do take this very seriously. Although we aren't sure it was a bed bug we already cleaned everything with leach and changed the mattresses and hopefully this won't happened again. Warm regards, João

We loved this place. We wanted to stay longer but only had one night here. We could have spent a week here. Clean, functional bedrooms and very very peaceful sleep unlike Lisbon and Cascais. Exactly what we wanted from a holiday. The locks on the door are a little odd (not sure how safe they are) but overall we felt very safe and VERY relaxed here after the hustle of Lisbon and Sintra castles. The lack of towels and having to rent them was a small bad thing.

Almaa is a little oasis in the beautiful but busy Sintra. The atmosphere is ZEN and the garden allows for beautiful walks or meditation. A lovely kitchen, nice people, a good yoga session... and the staff was friendly and appreciated my honest feedback about several aspects. To be recommended.

• 22nd May 2015
  • Belgium

My stay was great. It is a very relaxing place and plenty to things to do in Sintra. The staff were very friendly and helpful!

Absolutely loved Almaa hostel! We weren't planning on staying the night in Sintra, but so glad we did! There is so much to see in Sintra, plan for more than a day! Almaa is about 10-15 minutes walking from the historic center of town; it offers a retreat like atmosphere with a very relaxed zen vibe. No complaints. The gardens/property area was such a wonderful way to start off the morning! They also offer a tasty little breakfast and soy milk, what more could a person need!?

First of all, the hostel was FREEZING. I was so uncomfortable. Wifi was super spotty and didn't work that well. ZERO plugs in the bathrooms. Everything smelled like weird old incense and really you can do Sintra in a day trip and there's no need to stay overnight. Getting to the hostel from the train station was awkward and difficult. Really wouldn't recommend staying here.

Staff went above and beyond to make our stay a pleasant one. Extremely peaceful.

This place exceeded expectations. The photos on here don't do it justice. Not only is it in a lovely area, but the hostel grounds themselves are extensive and peaceful. The staff are friendly and helpful, and the dorm accommodations were perfect. The beds are on reclaimed pallets (as in the pictures) so there's no "top bunk." More than enough showers and toilets. Breakfast consisted of tea and coffee, fresh fruit, a couple of cereals, and assorted breads with jam, local honey, and sliced cheese.

I absolutely loved this place, but it is not for everyone. There is a very spiritual vibe at this place - ideal for meditation and relaxation.

Beautiful local, and lovely staff and population.

We enjoyed our staying in this hostel. The atmosphere is great and help to connect with yourself and be peaceful. Great breakfast.