Alternative Hostels Reviews

Av. Huayna Capac y Casique Duma Esq., Cuenca, Ecuador

highly recommended. The hostel is very clean with well equipped kitchen, staffs are very nice and helpful. Bus station is right outside the hostel, with old town and supermarket is just a short walk away. We had a room with window facing the interior, so sometime the noise is a bit loud if other fellow guests are not considerate during late evening and early morning, but this has nothing to do with the hostel itself. We had a very nice stay overall.

One of the best place will be back there for sure. Cheap price And better than I expected.

We had a very nice stay in the Alternarive hostel. It was clean, the staff was friendly and only a ten minute walk from the old centre it was good value for money!

• 2nd Jan 2015

A nice house with tidy rooms and the comfort you are looking for: free WLAN and computer use, locked entrance, tidy rooms, a kitchen, clean restrooms. To be booked via internet from abroad. Also a modern building with a bus stop right in front of. Situated only a few blocks away from the bus terminal and the city.

• 21st Dec 2014
  • Austria
  • Mixed Group, 41+

All in all a good hostel with good facilities (kitchens, beds, bathrooms and a terrace) and it is also in good walkable distance from the center. However, it is right on a main road and in some rooms (which have windows to the street) the noise level is unbearable (there is a traffic light which makes noise every minute for some seconds). I couldnt sleep the whole night. (the problem could be easily solved by good windows) We changed rooms then. As we only stayed two nights, it was ok though

Alternative hostal is a wonderful place to stay. Clean and well organised. With plenty of hot water. The only down side was traffic noise but otherwise location was good, right across the road from main museum and about a 10 minite walk to old Cuenca, bars and restaurants.

I really liked the alternativ Hostel! When i arrived it was pretty quite, but i guess because i didn't stayed there at the weekend. The next day there checkend in a buch of people already. The rooms are really nice.I stayed in the 5bed dorm with bathroom and it was really nice!All in all i can say the alternativ Hostel is one of the cleanest Hostels I've ever seen on my trip! And they still want to make it better!(New paintings etc.) The staff is really nice and helpfull too! Thanks!

Nice quiet place located just out of the tourist area but close enough to walk even at night. try the food from the lady across the road at night its really good

Beautiful hostel, with lots of natural light and room to make yourself at home. Great staff were very friendly, also very patient with my poor Spanish. Though they will speak English. I will return as soon as I can.

Loved this place! Met some cool new people there, friendly atmosphere that encouraged everyone to hang out in the common areas. Only downside is that it's a bit far from the centro, but definitely walkable. The kitchen is very well equipped, the bathrooms are very clean, and the beds were quite comfortable. Would definitely stay here again!

Do yourself a favour and book somewhere else! It's not terrible, but I wouldn't stay here unless everything else was booked up. NO INTERNET! Really basic hostel. Only 3 toilets for whole place. Noisy. Located away from the action, on a busy junction. Staff aren't great and hardly speak any English which lots of people found a problem. "Free Coffee" is worst ive had. No atmosphere. If you don't care where you stay or about decent facilities or meeting people or helpful staff, this is for you.

Owner is amazing! Loved her. Rooms are clean. Reading light is a bonus! Kitchen is good. Location is not so central though.

Great hostel clean friendly and lots of light in the lounge area

• 15th Oct 2014

Very happy with our stay at Alternatives. Great location walking distance from the old town. Fully equipped kitchen, comfortable rooms, tv/dvd area and very helpful staff. All round thumbs up!

It is a cool hostel with a balcony where you can enjoy the view with a coffee. Clean room with lots of space for your stuff. Not enough lockers but I feel safe the whole time. Staff were really nice and friendly. It´s right next to the museum and it was amazing because I get to see the president near the museum during my stay. About 15 mins walk to supermarket and all the restaurants. Overall good stay and would recommend to all backpackers.

I'm glad I picked this hostel for my stay in Cuenca. It was very clean and comfortable. The kitchen is big and well equipped, the rooms nicely sized and clean. It is right across the street from a great Cuenca museum and a ten/fifteen minute walk to the big supermarket- probably closer than most central hostels. Yes its a bit outside the center, but to get there you literally just walk straight down one road, passing popular bars, restaurants and clubs along the way.

Great stay but I wish I had a dedicated reading light for my bunk.

Friendly and helpful staff. City center (old town), supermarket and nightlife are within 10-15 minuts walking distance. Next to very nice park Pumapungo, where you get excellent Belgian waffles. Rooms have very comfortable beds.

Super clean hostel in a convenient location. Not extremely centrical, but it is only 10 minutes walk to city centre. Very comfortable beds, nice staff and clean, well equipped kitchen.

Grenat hostel ans very clean bathrooms!!