Alternative Hostels Reviews

Av. Huayna Capac y Casique Duma Esq., Cuenca, Ecuador

Very happy with our stay at Alternatives. Great location walking distance from the old town. Fully equipped kitchen, comfortable rooms, tv/dvd area and very helpful staff. All round thumbs up!

I'm glad I picked this hostel for my stay in Cuenca. It was very clean and comfortable. The kitchen is big and well equipped, the rooms nicely sized and clean. It is right across the street from a great Cuenca museum and a ten/fifteen minute walk to the big supermarket- probably closer than most central hostels. Yes its a bit outside the center, but to get there you literally just walk straight down one road, passing popular bars, restaurants and clubs along the way.

Great stay but I wish I had a dedicated reading light for my bunk.

Super clean hostel in a convenient location. Not extremely centrical, but it is only 10 minutes walk to city centre. Very comfortable beds, nice staff and clean, well equipped kitchen.

Grenat hostel ans very clean bathrooms!!

I highly recommend this hostel; really good vibe, comfy beds with big duvets, clean, nice kitchen fully equipped to cook, wifi and computer to use, 10 mins walk to historic center, nice staff.. no breakfast but theres a cafe like 5 mins walk on calle larga for $2-3 called cafe molido, good breakfast!

Great hostel with kitchen, cool DVD-place and nice bathrooms. Shower was hot :-) 10mins to center, close to river, 10mins to supermarket. Our room was a bit dark and loveless. Noisy street. We would stay there again!

One of the best hostel in southamerica on our hole trip. Cheap prices for private rooms, if you compare it to other prices.Super clean, hot water, good wifi, one of the best kitchens ever and really modern and nice accomodation rooms and outdoor terrace. The staff was friendly and answered all your questions,- everybody of them speak good english. A little bit out of the Center, but just 15 minutes to walk.

Very clean, great facilities, in a good walking distance to town with bars and restaurants nearby, but bring earplugs if you want to have a quiet sleep (big intersection and thin house walls). I would definitely stay here again.

I really liked this place. It's clean, in a good location (safe and near some museums, but good ten minute walk to the center of town - no biggie). Cuenca is pretty much all safe south of the airport/bus terminal -- even that is safe during daylight. Kitchen is really nice. Clean, free coffee 24/7. No place to store belongings, but they DO have small lockers to store passport, cash, etc. Some noise from the street below, can see how might bother some. Didn't bother me. Would stay again

Great hostel, clean, comfortable, a 15 minute walk to the centre of town but opposite a great museum. No hot water sometimes.

Really nice place to stay. Very clean!! Unfortunately a little bit noisy.

This was an excellent hostel with extremely friendly staff, it's about a 10 minute walk from the main Cuenca centre so not too far. The kitchen was good quality and allowed us to make most of our meals, as did many other guests. Fully recommended!

I booked a private room and was given a space that was located between a public bathroom, over the kitchen/dining area, the reception desk/ front entrance, and the stairs leading to other rooms. It was bloody LOUD always. In the morning when the cleaning lady arrives she starts talking nonstop to the reception desk clerk. There was a young child, I believe she belonged to the owners, who would stomp up and down the stairs yelling and screaming as she pleased. Drunk people...etc...STAY ELSEWHERE!

Not very social, nit the best hostel for solo travelers.

You get the bang for your buck, extra friendly staff! Definitely recommended!

• 21st May 2014

It would be nice to have hooks to put your clothes When taking the shower.

The staff are great the hostel is clean, the kitchen have everyting you need to make your own food,.free cofee.

excellent