Alternative Hostels Reviews

Av. Huayna Capac y Casique Duma Esq., Cuenca, Ecuador

I really liked the alternativ Hostel! When i arrived it was pretty quite, but i guess because i didn't stayed there at the weekend. The next day there checkend in a buch of people already. The rooms are really nice.I stayed in the 5bed dorm with bathroom and it was really nice!All in all i can say the alternativ Hostel is one of the cleanest Hostels I've ever seen on my trip! And they still want to make it better!(New paintings etc.) The staff is really nice and helpfull too! Thanks!

Nice quiet place located just out of the tourist area but close enough to walk even at night. try the food from the lady across the road at night its really good

Loved this place! Met some cool new people there, friendly atmosphere that encouraged everyone to hang out in the common areas. Only downside is that it's a bit far from the centro, but definitely walkable. The kitchen is very well equipped, the bathrooms are very clean, and the beds were quite comfortable. Would definitely stay here again!

Do yourself a favour and book somewhere else! It's not terrible, but I wouldn't stay here unless everything else was booked up. NO INTERNET! Really basic hostel. Only 3 toilets for whole place. Noisy. Located away from the action, on a busy junction. Staff aren't great and hardly speak any English which lots of people found a problem. "Free Coffee" is worst ive had. No atmosphere. If you don't care where you stay or about decent facilities or meeting people or helpful staff, this is for you.

Owner is amazing! Loved her. Rooms are clean. Reading light is a bonus! Kitchen is good. Location is not so central though.

Very happy with our stay at Alternatives. Great location walking distance from the old town. Fully equipped kitchen, comfortable rooms, tv/dvd area and very helpful staff. All round thumbs up!

It is a cool hostel with a balcony where you can enjoy the view with a coffee. Clean room with lots of space for your stuff. Not enough lockers but I feel safe the whole time. Staff were really nice and friendly. It´s right next to the museum and it was amazing because I get to see the president near the museum during my stay. About 15 mins walk to supermarket and all the restaurants. Overall good stay and would recommend to all backpackers.

I'm glad I picked this hostel for my stay in Cuenca. It was very clean and comfortable. The kitchen is big and well equipped, the rooms nicely sized and clean. It is right across the street from a great Cuenca museum and a ten/fifteen minute walk to the big supermarket- probably closer than most central hostels. Yes its a bit outside the center, but to get there you literally just walk straight down one road, passing popular bars, restaurants and clubs along the way.

Great stay but I wish I had a dedicated reading light for my bunk.

Friendly and helpful staff. City center (old town), supermarket and nightlife are within 10-15 minuts walking distance. Next to very nice park Pumapungo, where you get excellent Belgian waffles. Rooms have very comfortable beds.

Super clean hostel in a convenient location. Not extremely centrical, but it is only 10 minutes walk to city centre. Very comfortable beds, nice staff and clean, well equipped kitchen.

Grenat hostel ans very clean bathrooms!!

I highly recommend this hostel; really good vibe, comfy beds with big duvets, clean, nice kitchen fully equipped to cook, wifi and computer to use, 10 mins walk to historic center, nice staff.. no breakfast but theres a cafe like 5 mins walk on calle larga for $2-3 called cafe molido, good breakfast!

Great hostel with kitchen, cool DVD-place and nice bathrooms. Shower was hot :-) 10mins to center, close to river, 10mins to supermarket. Our room was a bit dark and loveless. Noisy street. We would stay there again!

One of the best hostel in southamerica on our hole trip. Cheap prices for private rooms, if you compare it to other prices.Super clean, hot water, good wifi, one of the best kitchens ever and really modern and nice accomodation rooms and outdoor terrace. The staff was friendly and answered all your questions,- everybody of them speak good english. A little bit out of the Center, but just 15 minutes to walk.

Very clean, great facilities, in a good walking distance to town with bars and restaurants nearby, but bring earplugs if you want to have a quiet sleep (big intersection and thin house walls). I would definitely stay here again.

I really liked this place. It's clean, in a good location (safe and near some museums, but good ten minute walk to the center of town - no biggie). Cuenca is pretty much all safe south of the airport/bus terminal -- even that is safe during daylight. Kitchen is really nice. Clean, free coffee 24/7. No place to store belongings, but they DO have small lockers to store passport, cash, etc. Some noise from the street below, can see how might bother some. Didn't bother me. Would stay again

Great hostel, clean, comfortable, a 15 minute walk to the centre of town but opposite a great museum. No hot water sometimes.

Really nice place to stay. Very clean!! Unfortunately a little bit noisy.

This was an excellent hostel with extremely friendly staff, it's about a 10 minute walk from the main Cuenca centre so not too far. The kitchen was good quality and allowed us to make most of our meals, as did many other guests. Fully recommended!