Alternative Hostels Reviews

Av. Huayna Capac y Casique Duma Esq., Cuenca, Ecuador

great space and "feel". i loved cuenca and this hostel did nothing to ruin my experience! wifi was a little patchy, and perhaps not enough power outlets in my dorm.. but overall, a comfortable, clean and relaxed atmosphere close to cafés, shops and within walking distance of the historic centre

Great place for a stopover but not many places to eat nearby.

Extremely helpful staff, new facilities, amazing deal for the money. Only very minor things to improve.

Great place. Great stay. Wifi sometimes fiddly but otherwise great hostel. Hot water and great kitchen

The hostel was amazing. It had everything we needed. The location was perfect, it was only 10 minutes from the center of city and was in very safe environment. The bus stop was right in front of the hostel and the bus terminal was just 10 blocks from the hostel. The staffs were very kind and helpful. They showed a lot of effort in helping us with everything we needed and asked for. It was very clean and we had a great experience and stay there. I definitely recommend this place!

nice staff,pretty helpfull! clean,well equipt kitchen!probably the best kitchen I've seen for a long time. the lockers are in the reception(didn't bother me).good showers. the hostel is located 10minutes from the old city/the market. but there are small markets,ATM and the ruins(!)less then a minute away. overall very positive stay.

This was a very good hostel. It did get a little unclean at times, the location could have been a little better, and our room was right next to the kitchen which was a little annoying due to the noise. But the staff were nice and helpful and it had a nice feel to it. Thanks!

The kitchen should be closed during the night (11pm - 7am), because it is just too loud if people are in the kitchen in the night. You must be able to open the front door from the inside on your own (for example in case of a fire)

easy walking distance to central historic district. close to bus terminal and airport. on a major intersection so noisy depending on your room. internet can be slow with all the users. also not very stable. that's probably a provider problem. overall a good place to stay. recommended.

This is one of the nicest hostels I've stayed in. Really beautiful house good kitchen, good staff. It's a little out of the centre but it's less than 10 minutes walk

highly recommended. The hostel is very clean with well equipped kitchen, staffs are very nice and helpful. Bus station is right outside the hostel, with old town and supermarket is just a short walk away. We had a room with window facing the interior, so sometime the noise is a bit loud if other fellow guests are not considerate during late evening and early morning, but this has nothing to do with the hostel itself. We had a very nice stay overall.

One of the best place will be back there for sure. Cheap price And better than I expected.

We had a very nice stay in the Alternarive hostel. It was clean, the staff was friendly and only a ten minute walk from the old centre it was good value for money!

• 2nd Jan 2015

A nice house with tidy rooms and the comfort you are looking for: free WLAN and computer use, locked entrance, tidy rooms, a kitchen, clean restrooms. To be booked via internet from abroad. Also a modern building with a bus stop right in front of. Situated only a few blocks away from the bus terminal and the city.

• 21st Dec 2014
  • Austria
  • Mixed Group, 41+

6 months of travel in South America and this hostel is among my top 3. You'll pay a fair price for a great staff, a very cool terrace, a good and quiet location, well-equiped kitchen, many clean bathrooms and comfy beds. The TV room is also excellent with great available DVD's. The wifi is also working pretty fast. Only one thing missing: a breakfast! (However, tea available all day long).

All in all a good hostel with good facilities (kitchens, beds, bathrooms and a terrace) and it is also in good walkable distance from the center. However, it is right on a main road and in some rooms (which have windows to the street) the noise level is unbearable (there is a traffic light which makes noise every minute for some seconds). I couldnt sleep the whole night. (the problem could be easily solved by good windows) We changed rooms then. As we only stayed two nights, it was ok though

Alternative hostal is a wonderful place to stay. Clean and well organised. With plenty of hot water. The only down side was traffic noise but otherwise location was good, right across the road from main museum and about a 10 minite walk to old Cuenca, bars and restaurants.

I really liked the alternativ Hostel! When i arrived it was pretty quite, but i guess because i didn't stayed there at the weekend. The next day there checkend in a buch of people already. The rooms are really nice.I stayed in the 5bed dorm with bathroom and it was really nice!All in all i can say the alternativ Hostel is one of the cleanest Hostels I've ever seen on my trip! And they still want to make it better!(New paintings etc.) The staff is really nice and helpfull too! Thanks!

Nice quiet place located just out of the tourist area but close enough to walk even at night. try the food from the lady across the road at night its really good

Beautiful hostel, with lots of natural light and room to make yourself at home. Great staff were very friendly, also very patient with my poor Spanish. Though they will speak English. I will return as soon as I can.