Alvear Hostel Reviews

Alvear 158, Cordoba, Argentina

Lockers are too small but the rest was great!

Spacious and clean, but the washrooms, although generally clean, are very primitive for the year 2015. Its been a while since I have experienced the pleasure of showering in a toilet! Wi-Fi was generally poor, but did have good connection occasionally! Close to the centre, and eight blocks from the market.

Strange start when I had to sleep on the sofa on arrival, then put in a room with 2 elderly men who I think live there. Uncomfortable as a solo female, asked to move but told no room. Later friends in a dorm said there were 4 free beds, so I finally moved. After that staff were very helpful and friendly. Good location, simple breakfast, great sun-trap rooftop to sip a beer and meet others. Large lockers. Very good internet connection on very new PCs. Negatives, never any toilet paper...

This may be a good hostel for those who are staying in a dorm, but the private room I had was tiny and dark. it was very hot when i was there, as it was summertime. The breafkast room could use a fan. The internet service was intermittent. The staff was helpful and friendly.

Set in a beautiful and spacious building, it's a family run hostel. The staff are nice and helpful. The dorms are spacious and have lockers for your belongings. Decent kitchen to cook in. Only disappointing thing is breakfast, which could be improved greatly by switching to real bread, not the sugar infused packaged biscuit bread. That would be a start, but just my opinion. Other than that, it's a decent hostel with a good location to the rest of the city. Would recommend staying.

Located within walking distance of a nimber of the main areas this hostel was fine for our short stay in Buenos Aires. We had room keys and lockers and the main hostel door is opened by staff so the place was really secure. There is a supermarket nearby though the kitchen was dirty so expect to wash everything before you use it. Good common areas though.

We were treated well and very much enjoyed our stay. Many thanks!

Helpful staff, nice hostel, kitchen a bit basic and not sooo very well equipped, but all essentials there.

• 27th Nov 2014

Great location a few blocks from some of Cordoba's main sights, but this place really lacks atmosphere, which is odd as it has large communal spaces, including a roof deck and a pool table. Not great in terms of cleanliness - the bathrooms always seemed to have dirty water on the floor - and the kitchen really could do with more plates, cutlery, pans etc. Fine for a night or two, but nothing longer than that.

Great hostel and staff, but what was that framed portrait of Muhammad Ali glowering over Sonny Liston doing on the wall? I've only been beaten up once in my life but it's not something I care to remember. I didn't appreciate seeing that image before going to sleep and the first thing in the morning! Otherwise, great hostel.