Amber Tree Lodge Backpackers Reviews

10 Kloofnek Road, Tamboerskloof, Cape Town, South Africa

The owner was great and super helpful, as were all of his staff. Beautiful place, not too huge so it maintains a cozy intimate feel. Great kitchen (which not a lot of hostels have), living room and patio area. It feels a bit like you're a guest in someone's house in a great way. The only drawback I saw was that my dorm was a bit crammed, but all you're doing is sleeping there anyway and it's great value for 160 rand. If you're looking for more of a party scene, check out Once in Capetown.

really recommandable. nice people, excellent location.

• 28th Sep 2014
  • Couple, 41+

Truly one of the best Hostels I have stayed in South Africa. In comparison, it has become a hot spot accommodation for me. Certainly worth booking! The staff was pleasant, the Kitchen and Bathroom were very clean, and the security was great coming in and out. For this price, it's one of the better places to stay in South Africa.

We had no towels and I didn't know that there are no towels in the room.

• 26th Sep 2014
  • Switzerland

LOVED this place. Staff is so helpful in planning whatever you'd like to do around Cape Town. Dorm rooms are cozy, wifi is strong, kitchen and shared areas are clean and well-decorated. There's a great balcony with a hammock where you can enjoy views of Table Mountain. Great restaurants and coffee shop that's literally 30 seconds away on foot. It's a quiet, chill place and I can't recommend it highly enough.

I really enjoyed this place, staff very friendly, hostel with good location !!! One of the best hostel I have stayed all until today

Thanks again for everything. I had a wonderful relaxing time at your hostel (loved the garden). Wally Umali

• 5th Sep 2014

Lovely hostel, beautiful little garden and a balcony looking over the Table mountain, really nice homely atmosphere. Perfect if you want to relax in the evenings rather than party. They definitely tell the truth about comfy beds on their website (we stayed in both twin room and a dorm). Friendly staff gave us great restaurant recommendations. Weak pressure in the showers was the only thing, otherwise perfect.

Thank you to Steve and all the staff for making us feel at home, we met some great people and had an awesome time in Cape Town. Wish we could have stayed longer!

We were a couple traveling together and definitely enjoyed our stay. A nice atmosphere in the hostel where we could meet and have good conversations with like-minded travelers.

I lodged 19 nights at ATL, Aug 2014 Excellent facilities, well-kept and clean. I would place it in the top 10 of all hostels I have lodged in on four continents. Some minor concerns: showers would occasionally run out of hot water in the first minute; the WiFi could be clunky slow at times and several nights none of my 3 devices could connect to the WiFi, and the flimsy lock clasps on the dorm lockers should be replaced for something more durable. But all in all this is as good as it gets.

Excellent!

• 5th Aug 2014
  • China

Wayne and Jo were wonderful hosts, who were always extremely helpful. The hostel is in an excellent location - the bus stop down the block can take you either into town or to the ocean. Or you can walk 5 mins to shops/restaurants etc. The facilities are great - always tidy, with both indoor and outdoor seating. The only downside: The breakfast is fairly meager. I wish I had 'topped up' by buying fruit, cheese, yogurt etc from Woolies and used their ample fridge and cupboard facilities.

In a few words Amber Tree is a perfect place to stay in Cape Town. We adored it!

Best Hostel ever !!!!

Joe is nice and alway would like to introduce details friendly if we have some questions, in meanwhile location is vet close to My CITI bus station

As I could not extend my stay in another hostel, I decided to change to Amber Tree Lodge - and regretted not to have moved earlier! The hostel is cozy, offers only a bunch of beds and therewith a really friendly atmosphere. An amazing nice coach area invites you to chill out and meet the other guests. The staff is not only super friendly and helpful but also from Cape Town / South Africa and therefore definitely knows what is going on in the city. Best location! Always want to come back!

Excellent staff-Joanne, Steve, Wayne,and Denzel..thank you all for a fun and comfy stay! Super-comfy beds, lounge area, and upper balcony (with stunning views of Table Mountain). The hostel is within walking distance to Long Street, bar, restaurants, cafes, etc. Your best bet in Cape Town. But please be careful not to hit the orange tree when driving in to the fromt driveway...In 6 years time it will be a tunnel according to Steve (inside joke;))! Thanks again guys .

Perfect location very near to longstreet and close to the lionshead trail. warm welcome and clean and comfortable rooms. The abdolut highlight is the garden where you can sit and relanx under the tree and plan your next adventures.

• 14th Jun 2014
  • Switzerland

This is a really really great place. I stayed in the twin room which was really large with a large private bathroom and all modern and very clean. It's in a brilliant area too.

← Back to search results