American Dream Hostel Reviews

168 East 24th Street, between Lexington and 3rd Av, New York, USA

Really great location and the rooms were clean. The staff was very friendly. The free breakfast was way better than in other hostels!

How wonderful to find a clean friendly oasis amidst the desert of astromical prices in the heart of NYC. I shall return.

• 21st Jul 2014

So glad we found this place to stay! Never more than a 5 min walk from the subway station and right near Madison square park. If you're used to the luxury of a 5 star hotel, need elevator assistance, or are traveling with young children I would recommend a regular hotel. But the 3 person room was perfect for me and my friends. If you don't mind sharing a bathroom that situation was never a bother (v clean, little to no wait time) AC in the room was great for our July trip. Would stay here again

• 18th Jul 2014

I recommend American Dream Hostel 100%, common rooms are very pretty and they were clean all the time. The staff was helpful and the overall atmosphere was nice. Breakfast super complete, waffles, muffins, cereals, coffee, juice, fruit, etc. The room was exactly as the pictures, the only bad thing was the heat. I would go again without a doubt!

• 16th Jul 2014
  • Argentina

Nice atmosphere, small rooms but ok, very clean, nice staff, very good breakfast and kitchen!

• 14th Jul 2014
  • Iceland

Excellent hostel. Clean, safe and pretty private for a hostel. Really nice staff. It was pretty hot at night but I will be staying there again!

• 7th Jul 2014

Good hostel with nice complimentary breakfast. Clean facilities. Close to metro station. Only downside that the staff didn't know much about the city; ie local transport and stuff to do.

The place was always spotless. The kitchen is very well set up and the breakfast was great. There were several good places to get good food cheap. There is comedy club right around the corner. I would definitely stay there again.

• 5th Jul 2014

Good, solid hostel. Not sure what it would be like as a solo traveller if you were looking to socialise but certainly good for what we needed which was a place to stay in a good location in manhattan - close to a variety of subways and in the cool flatiron district.

The stuff welcomed us very friendly and they helped us about everything. We couldn't spend too much time at the hostel but beds were comfortable and atmosphere was good:)

I booked a "three bed private room", and the room turns out to have only two beds: one double-bed and, on top of it, a narrow single one, not to say how clammy and narrow the room was. This would have been tolerable if this had been shown as a "three person room" or something like that, in which case I'd just smile bitterly at my naivety. But to brand it as a "three bed room" is downright cheating. Paying almost $200 per night for such a room I feel I must be an idiot.

I like this hostel very much because it has its character. And the staff are super friendly and helpful. And I would like to thank the son of the owner (pity that I didn't get your name) for all his kind help during my stay. You made my trip a happy ending :)

Really good hostel! The staff is very helpful and the facilities are great.

We really enjoyed the stay at this hostel. Great location and very cosy and homely atmosphere. Waffles for breakfast were amazing, all facilities clean and staff very friendly. Thank you :-)

The staff were very unhelpful at the hostel. The room was good, if a little small, but generally clean. The curtains are also quite thin. Breakfast was great though thank you! Wifi is also terrible and shouldn't be advertised as it cannot be used.

• 26th May 2014

Good location, walking distance to food, subway

Friendly staff, excellent free breakfast, great location, free printing, really clean bathrooms and I love the little details in the design of the bathroom. I stayed in a 3-bed private room on the second floor, although it was small but sufficient for sleeping in after a day out. There are plenty of vegetarian Indian restaurants nearby which was nice for vegetarians like myself. Overall, I really enjoyed my stay here and it was a great place to explore New York city from.

Location, location ,location excellent no way you can find a hotel in this area for that price, mattress could be better but for the price in Manhattan is cool

• 20th May 2014
  • Puerto Rico

Great place to stay. Safe, affordable, convenient.

• 16th May 2014

This hostel is well located, near to a subway station and in a walking distance of major NYC attractions.Breakfast is served from 7am and is good. A very noisy environment (either you get a room on 3rd Avenue or you get a room on other side with no daylight; bring ear plugs).Staff: it depends on the person, some were very helpful, other rather unfriendly. Toilets reasonable clean, however some time stuck. Great wifi. No lift in the building. Small rooms with bunk beds, the mattress was very bad.

• 4th May 2014