American Dream Hostel Reviews

168 East 24th Street, between Lexington and 3rd Av, New York, USA

Keep up the good work! :)

• 29th Aug 2015
  • Scotland

One of the best Hostel in New York.

• 16th Aug 2015

rooms for couples aren't suitable for couples, it's inconvenient to stay in the hostel as a couple

The staff is very friendly, helpful and polity. The location is very good (close to most of the places that we wanted to visit), clean and organized and the breakfast is really good. Trust me when i say that the hotel exceed our expectations.

Everything was lovely, the communication via email beforehand was a bit lacking though, whenever i emailed i got short answers back. But it was nice and clean and modern.

Arrived there on Friday night around 5:00 and there was nobody there to let us in. Waited for 15 minutes until someone, luckily, was leaving and let us in. Waited another half hour until he came back to check us in. When I told him we would still be standing outside if someone hadn't been leaving, he just replied, "That's nice..." Air con in the room was incredibly loud and barely worked. Left it on to cool room off while going out for a couple hours; someone came in and shut if off.

We stayed at American Dream for 3 nights and had a great experience. The location was central to everything and the value of the hostel is good for Manhattan. Our room was a comfortable size with an air conditioner and surprisingly quite. The atmosphere is more like a B&B versus a social youth hostel, which is nice for couples or a slightly order crowd. Make sure to get to breakfast early, because items run out. There is no travel desk/tour bookings so make sure to do your research beforehand!

• 6th Aug 2015

Andre was very knowledgeable, and reliable - he gave good instructions on how to get a bus from Newark to the hostel, and later ordered a supershuttle to JFK. Breakfast was included which was a real bonus when visiting a city. Very clean with extra towels available. Good wifi. Private 2 person room had bunks and no window and a generator that came on periodically during the night.

• 5th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

I liked staying here. The room was very small but just big enough for the two of us, breakfast was nice, nothing special but enough for a good start in the day. There were no lockers in the room but I had bought a travel safe for my valuables before the trip so that was no problem for me. Everything seemed clean, some of the bathtowles had strange orange stains on them however, I just got different ones.

• 3rd Aug 2015

It was such a pleasure to stay in American Dream.

• 1st Aug 2015
  • Turkey

I was especially impressed with the receptionist who did all he could to help me with my suitcase and get into a taxi on my departure. Great breakfast in the morning!!! Another receptionist helped me when I needed help fixing my iPad. Great community and family feel.

• 30th Jul 2015

If your looking to explore and do your own thing this place is perfect! I got a private room with bed sink & TV for $94 a night. The bathrooms are clean and have some on each floor. Staff was awesome & great recommendations to eat out or delivery. Great place in-between so that it's not too far from Uptown or Downtown. Doesn't really have a big social scene and individualized, which I liked but you can still meet people. Bus stop is right on the corner that goes to City Hall..tour bus stop.

American Dream Hostel is one of the nicest hostel that can be found in NYC. Staffs are so polite and helpful. It offers a rich and good breakfast. It is a clean hostel in yhe heart of NYC. ;))

• 25th Jul 2015
  • Turkey

it was a great stay at the American Dream Hostel!

• 23rd Jul 2015

Amazing value for money. Only stayed one night but it provided everything needed for myself and two 11 year old grand-sons. Excellent breakfast provided...easy-going place to stay...would definitely recommend.

• 22nd Jul 2015

I loved my stay here - it felt like home. I was greeted by name when I arrived, and the owner went out of his way with helping me decide what to do in NY and how to get to the airport the next morning. The rooms were tidy and the bathrooms immaculate. It had a very warm and welcoming environment and I would highly recommend it, as a solo female traveller.

Loved the generous breakfast.

Amdre was a doll. When we left, he ran down the block to get us a cab while it was pouring rain. LOVED Amdre, rest of the staff was polite. They let us store our luggage before we were checked in (no locks for storage, just a closet at end of hallway). Location was good. Down the street from Madison Square Park, adorable. Very close to the subway, quick ride to Times Square. Rooms are small, surprise to people who aren't used to NYC. My mom and I felt safe and we would stay there again.

• 8th Jul 2015

This is one of my favourite hostels I've ever stayed in. Such a great stay! It is a little pricey but that's the case for anything in New York, and here you get the extra bonus of amazing staff, the best breakfast ever and a homely feel. The lack of dorms might reduce the hostel vibe but that's made up for with the great hangout areas, like the kitchen which is like your own kitchen to use. Showers were fantastic, hot and good pressure. Loved my stay here!

See below.