American Dream Hostel Reviews

168 East 24th Street, between Lexington and 3rd Av, New York, USA

This is absolutely the hostel I will choose the next time I'm in New York. The location is great, the breakfast was delicious, and they don't have dorms anywhere so they gave me a room to myself.

I selected this place based on the reviews I read. Everything about this place was great. If I have to mention one negative thing is that noise level from 3rd ave was so loud that if you need to sleep after 5am, it may be a slite issue. However, you cannot beat the price considering all other amenities.

• 7th Apr 2014

WiFi was good. Place is super clean. It is tiny in the sense that there is one toilet and one shower per floor . but, its NYC . space doesn't exist. It is noisy, I dont mean like street noise, that is understandable, I mean like there is something living in the walls noisy. Bit weird. Some staff were great, helped us decide what to do and how to do it. Others were useless, and cldnt seem more disinterested. Free breaky is great too. Good range of stuff. Would stay again

Overall a good place to stay. It's a hostel, not a luxury hotel, so if all you need is a bed, then you're set with this place. I gave the facilities a poor rating because the water in the showers was messed up. First it was freezing cold, then scalding hot with no change in the handle position. Not good. Everything else was pretty good.

• 21st Mar 2014

A very nice, comfortable bed and breakfast, in a decent location. The central heating was occasionally a bit noisy at night, but apart from that everything about this hostel was satisfactory. I certainly enjoyed my stay there.

Very good hostel. Location location location!

It was great, very cute! Staff was friendly, the room was clean.

• 1st Feb 2014

I loved your hostel and found it very much as I had expected. But I'm not sure I would come back. The mattress on my bed was horrible, old, lumpy, no support. I had a terrible night's sleep., tried to sleep on the very edge of the bed. I would need to be assured that the mattresses were suitable before I would come back or recommend it to others.

• 8th Jan 2014

Got to the Hostel and there was a sign on they door: "notice to vacate". Basically it had closed down. NO warning from the hostel or Hostelworld, wasn't happy.

• 2nd Jan 2014

Hi and thank you very much for your comment. We are glad to inform you that the "PARTIAL VACATE" sign has been removed by NY Fire Department and was about the kitchen sink obstructing the fire exit. The sink was removed after two hours but we had to wait two months before the NYFD came back, inspected everything and removed the sign. Everything is fine and safe for everybody. Thank you for your collaboration and we are always happy to get help from our guests. American Dream Management.

Great value, location, breakfast, and facilities for its value!

The stuffs are awesome! The guy bring up my luggage and when you are tired believe me: is very useful! The hostel is very clean, with small spots, but is good! Just missed like a living room, or a place to everybody stay together...

Our room´s heater was broken so there was sometimes very gold and other time warm, but everything else work very well.

• 24th Dec 2013
  • Finland

Outside door entry by intercom "buzz in" or key only. 24 hour desk. Friendly & accommodating staff. Staff offered help with carrying luggage. My earlier arrival request was accepted. Room, bathroom & shower room were very clean & pleasant. Quiet at night for sleeping.& NO bedbugs.. Kitchen was clean & hot breakfast was excellent as usual. Cross/ Up/.Downtown bus stops within 1 or 2 blocks. Subway stations within 2-4 blocks. This was my third Christmas week staying here. Cant wait to return!

• 23rd Dec 2013

When I arrived at the hostel, there was a sign on door from the department of buildings saying 'VACATE, DO NOT ENTER'. The sign explained that'conditions in the building are imminently perilous to life and reentry is prohibited until conditions have been addressed, violators are subject to arrest'. Hostel is still open, and when I asked the girl at check in what the sign was all about she said 'nothing for you to worry about'. I was suspicious and glad I only stayed one night.

Really nice place, with great breakfast! Bit annoying that the washing machine was out of order, but other than that, it was a very pleasant stay, close to the subway.

Our stay in the American Dream Hostel was wonderful. The price is very fair considering the location, level of hygene, kindness of staff... and of course the mythical breakfast ! The only reason I would hesistate to recommend it is that I'm scared there will be no room left for us next time ! :)

I had a wonderful stay last week, the hostel was very clean, and the bath is clean as well. There is a full kitchen, and computer room with lots of book. I will stay there again, Great Value.

When I arrived the hostel had a do not enter sign issued by the ny department of buildings. Still, when I called they opened the door but did not comment about this. I think they should have at least sent an email advising of this and offer the option of cancellation at no cost due to the situation. Inside everything seemed fine, but still foreigners do not konw if this was really a matter of inminent danger to occupants or not, as advised by the building comissioner.

the showers were not very good and the vacate immediately sign on the front door was a bit of a worry but other than that it was great, breakfast was so good!

We had a lovely stay at the American Dream. The staff was very friendly and helpful and the breakfast is just amazing. Felt like home away from home. Can highly recommend American Dream for a lovely stay.