American Dream Hostel Reviews

168 East 24th Street, between Lexington and 3rd Av, New York, USA

Booked this hostel as it seemed to have really good reviews. I have stayed in a lot of hostels in Australia, good and bad. Don't get me wrong it's not the worst I have stayed it,but it certainly ain't the best. Staff really not friendly or helpful at all. Walked into my room to find blood stained sheets and dirty towels. Carpet looked filthy. Bunk bed looked like it would collapse at any point as it was so flimsy. I personally think this is a bed and breakfast where the homeless come to stay.

The hostel is clean and the location is very good, but it doesn't have hostel atmosphere at all. Only private rooms with a double bed plus one bed above. It's good if you're in couple (wich was my case)

The hostel was great in almost every single way. One thing that would have been nice was a chair in our room.

Tiny, warm rooms (Oct) and lack of hostel atmosphere but decent facilities and privacy. Unfortunately my tiny room's window backed on to a brick wall.

The main positive is the location. We found lots not to like about this hostel especially due to how expensive it is. The shower was bad and no hot water in the night, first our heater wouldn't turn off then we couldn't get it to turn on for the rest of our stay and the 3 flights of stairs we had to lug our bags up with no offer of help from staff at all despite being 2 small girls with huge bags. Won't be staying again.

I really enjoyed my time at American Dream. I was travelling alone and stayed for 6 nights. The breakfasts were fantastic, it was nice and quiet (except for the street traffic) and even though there was 1 bathroom between 6 rooms, I never had to wait for the shower. I'd definitely recommend this hostel and hope to be back again in the future!

Perfect Stay!!! And delicous breakfast!!

Lovely Staff and amazing breakfast each morning. You didn't have to worry about the bathrooms, etc and the cleanliness because it was always clean.

• 19th Oct 2015
  • New Zealand

Cheap, very clean, very diversify breakfast, a room with 2 pc, tv and printer, internet wireless everywhere, a free room to leave your suitcase before check-in or after check-out, close metro or bus station. I am very pleased ! I will be back and i recommend it !

• 19th Oct 2015
  • Romania

I was woken approx. every hour by the most horrible, loud clanking from the ancient heating system. Then I would lie awake to the sound of the delivery trucks next door (US Mail depot). At 4:45am I had enough & asked the front desk for help. Staff said nothing they could do. When I checked out an hour later, I asked for a refund and was given $25. If I wasn't in a rush, I would have demanded more. Also, hairs on my sheets & no soap. Pro: Guy at desk when I arrived was very kind. Inexpensive.

Really lovely place and super helpful staff. Not a problem when I arrived at almost 1am from JFK and I was even helped to my room with my ridiculous luggage! Good location- subway is 5mins tops and its a nice walk to Times Square/Central Park (about 25-30mins). No sunlight into my room since it was at the back of the building but still comfortable with TV/sink etc. Left my luggage after checking out- no worries at all. Would happily stay again and recommend to friends. Thanks! :)

• 14th Oct 2015

I would definitely stay here again. Comfortable and clean. It's great value for money. The breakfast is really good. Great proximity to be able to walk to great bars. I'd rexcommend the taproom 307 around the corner. The area, gresty is a nice place to be

Decent location, subway stop a couple of blocks away and around a 20 minute walk to 5th Avenue. Breakfast had a good selection. Definitely more like a B&B than a hostel, really quiet. Everyone seemed to be in bed by about 11:30, which was perfect for me! There aren't many showers or toilets, but I didn't ever have to wait for them. Staff are friendly but not instrusive.

• 5th Oct 2015

The American Dream is by far the best Hostel I've been to. Excellent location, very friendly staff, super clean and very good security, and fantastic breakfast included! I chose this hostel thanks to the great comments I had read on it, so I am adding mine too!

• 3rd Oct 2015

Nicely located, cosy, and with an excelent free breakfast. Minor quibles were the lack of soap in dispensers in bathrooms, and the heat in the radiators hadn't been turned on yet. Still highly recommended.

This isn't a hostel but a b&b so don't expect to say more than hello to the other people staying there. Room was great for a solo traveller, would have been a bit cramped with 2 people and didn't like how there was no natural light, however was told that the rooms facing the street were quite noisy. Bathrooms and kitchen always very clean, would have been nice if they had have cleaned my room at least once during my 10 day stay. Breakfast is AMAZING. Staff helpful but not super friendly.

Stayed for 5 nights, everything was as good as advertised, and the staff was very friendly and always willing to help. An overall great experience for accommodations in Manhattan.

• 21st Sep 2015

The main advantages of this Hostel are definitely its location(two blocks from Flatiron building and subway station)and very welcoming and friendly staff.I stayed in single room(nr.9)The room was basic and quite small,but also clean and it was everything I needed(you do not visit New York to spend most of the time in Hostel,right?:) The Wi-Fi worked well in my room and also complimentary breakfast was very good.

One thing first: the hostel's location is simply perfect. Close to a subway station and lots of good restaurants and pubs. You can go walking to Flatiron and basically any place located in Midtown. But I stayed on what was probably the smallest room I've ever been (compensation was immediately offered by the hostess btw). And oh my God the noise (well, it's Manhattan, but being close to a USPS center doesn't help much...). Overall, it's clean, small, noisy, good value for money.

good place to stay in NYC if you don't mind basic accommodation. But its was clean and quiet so you can sleep well if you are just using as somewhere to rest your head, but not very social.